2016-2017 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit with essay prompts:
1. The Ohio State University College of Medicine's mission is to "improve people's lives through innovation in research, education and patient care." Briefly describe how you aspire to further this mission, in whole or in part, as a medical student or as an alumnus of this College. (250 words or less)

2. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr made the following statement: "Of all the injustices in the world, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane." Describe how you would like to contribute to ensuring quality healthcare for all people. (250 words or less)

REQUIRED ESSAYS ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:

1. Describe the experiences you have had in Primary Care and the influences they have had on your decision to apply to the Primary Care Track three year program. (500 words or less)

2. "Health Is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Invitation to create OSU account received!

Is there a way to access the secondary from the account?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The hardest part of this thing is the security questions.

Any IS students receive an account invitation yet?

@lemonscientist

OSU historically offers predominantly OOS account invites first in addition to II, but they don't ignore IS. I really think they try and give out of state students a good notice to accommodate their schedules. So don't take it personally if you get your account invite a week after an OOS.

Nevermind, I found it! It's out now if you dig for it.

osu.edu > future students > apply > medicine > application status > main menu > self service > OSU supplemental applications > medicine. You need to log in at some point along this process with your created OSU account they emailed us about.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Edit with essay prompts:

1. The Ohio State University College of Medicine's mission is to "improve people's lives through innovation in research, education and patient care." Briefly describe how you aspire to further this mission, in whole or in part, as a medical student or as an alumnus of this College. (250 words or less)

2. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr made the following statement: "Of all the injustices in the world, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane." Describe how you would like to contribute to ensuring quality healthcare for all people. (250 words or less)

1. Describe the experiences you have had in Primary Care and the influences they have had on your decision to apply to the Primary Care Track three year program. (500 words or less)

2. "Health Is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

+1

Edit with essay prompts:

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

hmm my self service --> OSU supplemental section is an empty folder?

lol guess us IS kids have the same problems eh..

In state/OSU alum, I have access to the supplemental. However, the application is run similar to some of our old admin forms so I don't know now if being a recent alum has anything to do with access.

In state/OSU alum, I have access to the supplemental. However, the application is run similar to some of our old admin forms so I don't know now if being a recent alum has anything to do with access.
I'm also a recent alum/OOS and when I click on the "Supplemental Application" folder it doesn't open. I received the invite yesterday and even have the essays pre-written already... UGH.

Is anyone else on here applying to the primary care track?

I'm also a recent alum/OOS and when I click on the "Supplemental Application" folder it doesn't open. I received the invite yesterday and even have the essays pre-written already... UGH.

For those of you who don't have access to the secondary yet, just wait for the folder to allow you access. If you go through the different portal and do it, who knows if it will actually go to where it's supposed to. Just call and ask. I thought someone said it wasn't really going to be open until First week of July. I said earlier how they preference giving OOS everything first for convenience.

That feel when you prewrite some pretty unique essays and they don't change :)

For the innovation essay, are you guys interpreting that as:

1. How would we further improve people's lives through innovation in research, education, and patient care
or
2. How would we improve people's lives in aspects further/other than innovation in research, education, and patient care

For the innovation essay, are you guys interpreting that as:

1. How would we further improve people's lives through innovation in research, education, and patient care
or
2. How would we improve people's lives in aspects further/other than innovation in research, education, and patient care

Number 1. They want to know how you personally will innovate in research, education, and/or patient care.

So now I've got the actual secondary email invite, which let's you know about their supplementary essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OSU alum/IS/kicking myself for not prewriting these essays

For the healthcare inequity essay do you think OSU wants us to write about how we would help all people, or can we focus on a certain underprivileged group? I am planning to focus on a group that I that I identify with and is underserved.

The demographics section asks for the education level of your mother's parents and father's parents (aka your grandparents). Is this accurate or are they referring to that of your parents?

So I just created my OSU account and when I try to go to application status, it tells me it doesn't recognize my username, despite the fact that I can login elsewhere. Is there a turnaround period from making the account to when you can get to that section of the site?

So I just created my OSU account and when I try to go to application status, it tells me it doesn't recognize my username, despite the fact that I can login elsewhere. Is there a turnaround period from making the account to when you can get to that section of the site?
Mine was acting weird for about a day but the next day I had complete access to everything and it was easy peasy, so I'd just wait and check back again tonight!

The demographics section asks for the education level of your mother's parents and father's parents (aka your grandparents). Is this accurate or are they referring to that of your parents?

Accurate

Does anyone know what type of formatting issues would occur if the essays were not typed in Notepad?

Does anyone know what is considered state ties for Ohio? My dad travels for work and has worked in Ohio cumulatively for at last 6 years, has paid taxes there (which we have tax returns from)... Should I bother notifying the school about this along with my secondary?

Is anybody else concerned that you have to list out other med schools you've applied to? Do I really have to do this? I feel like in a lot of ways it's none of their business

Secondary submitted. Now just to wait for a hopeful interview.

That would make more sense, almost every secondary asks that.

I was perplexed by TMDSAS. They literally ask you to list every school by name that you applied to in AMCAS. Sounded like that's what @justheretolurk was getting at
Yep, had to list all the schools I applied to last year. Made me feel super weird since I didn't apply to OSU last year (my GPA was super low so I applied only to the NYCMs, Drexels etc.)

Edit: Oh, TMDAS is for schools you're applying to this year? That's even weirder.

Yep, had to list all the schools I applied to last year. Made me feel super weird since I didn't apply to OSU last year (my GPA was super low so I applied only to the NYCMs, Drexels etc.)

Edit: Oh, TMDAS is for schools you're applying to this year? That's even weirder.

Yep. On the primary tmdsas app you have to list them all. Very weird..

The link they sent me for the secondary isn't working. Anybody else having problems with it?

The link they sent me for the secondary isn't working. Anybody else having problems with it?
Yep, was having trouble this morning and spent most of it figuring out how to do it. You have to login to the main applicant portal now (http://buckeyelink.osu.edu/futurestudents.html) then click on the Main Menu tab -->Self Service-->OSU Supplemental Applications

Is anybody else concerned that you have to list out other med schools you've applied to? Do I really have to do this? I feel like in a lot of ways it's none of their business

I completely share your concern about this particular question. It is none of their business and I will not be sharing this information with them. I only listed Ohio State to let them know that I am a reapplicant to their school.

I will also not be sharing information regarding income or home value.

Last edited: