2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just finished up taking the CASPer. So many technical issues, I ended up getting kicked off the site and when I returned, it had me start a new exam. However, after closing the browser and re-opening, I found that the original exam was paused and could be resumed. I hope the answers to the first half of the test remained.. what a nightmare!
Welcome to CASPer. See it hasnt changed since last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished up taking the CASPer. So many technical issues, I ended up getting kicked off the site and when I returned, it had me start a new exam. However, after closing the browser and re-opening, I found that the original exam was paused and could be resumed. I hope the answers to the first half of the test remained.. what a nightmare!
Just finished too, and had some major technical issues. Had to close my browser and thankfully it resumed from the same spot, but it initially wanted me to start over 50 minutes into it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting.. Mine went perfectly! Now I just have to wait for that II....
:xf::luck::xf::luck:

Mine went fine but that doesnt make CASPer any less useless a metric.

Mine went fine too, but I do agree it's kinda useless. Hopefully the score wont affect my II chances lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I received an answer about the non-science letter of recommendation.

If you graduated prior to 2014 (Note: this does not include 2014) and you are unable to obtain Letters of Evaluation from your undergraduate or graduate school, we will accept three other academically oriented letters. However, keep in mind that providing us with the requested letters will strengthen your application.

Any status changes yet for those of you who have submitted? I didn't even receive a confirmation email...

Any status changes yet for those of you who have submitted? I didn't even receive a confirmation email...
No confirmation email, but it does show as submitted for me. Check your status through the instructions in the secondary invite email.

No confirmation email, but it does show as submitted for me. Check your status through the instructions in the secondary invite email.

Sorry, didn't word my post correctly... Meant to ask if anyone's app has been processed. My portal shows a confirmation of receiving payment/submission but the LOE section still reads as follows:
  • In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

Question about Optional LORs. If I'm using a committee letter which will presumably include those letters, do I have to type them in separately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about Optional LORs. If I'm using a committee letter which will presumably include those letters, do I have to type them in separately?

I had the same question... My understanding was that if you're sending in a committee letter you don't need to write out the names of each writer, just the institition. I think those who don't have a committee, or aren't using one, are required to make a separate entry for each of their LOR writers. Can anyone else confirm?

Edit - I misread your post, just realized youre talking about the Optional LORs, sorry. I tbought you were asking about the regular evaluations.

I had the same question... My understanding was that if you're sending in a committee letter you don't need to write out the names of each writer, just the institition. I think those who don't have a committee, or aren't using one, are required to make a separate entry for each of their LOR writers. Can anyone else confirm?

Edit - I misread your post, just realized youre talking about the Optional LORs, sorry. I tbought you were asking about the regular evaluations.

It says in their instructions to enter the name of whoever is listed on your AMCAS. For instance, if you already have individual names typed out for individual letters on your submitted AMCAS, then you do the same thing for the secondary. If you have a cover letter packet rather than a committee letter, then I would still enter whatever is listed on your AMCAS i.e the name of your institution. Hope that makes sense!

This may be a stupid question, but for the course #/hrs do they want us to list only one course or all courses you took with the person writing your letter? For all my letters I took at least 2 courses with the author, for one I think I took 6! I don't see anything about that in the instructions/this thread, other than that they use the singular "course" versus "courses".

Did anyone else run into this?

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but now that I look at the actual application in depth it looks like it is only feasible to enter one course; I guess I will just select the more recent/impressive course I took with them.

Last edited:
Yup no secondary yet, did my CASPer a couple of days ago too. Does the secondary relate to when they receive the CASPer results or do they just send it whenever?

Yup no secondary yet, did my CASPer a couple of days ago too. Does the secondary relate to when they receive the CASPer results or do they just send it whenever?

I received and submitted the secondary prior to taking CASPer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I received the secondary at the same time that I received the CASPer information. These emails went to my junk mail though so I almost missed it. If you are still missing these emails, try checking your junk. No other med school email has gone to my junk.

Do they screen at all? Anyone not verified but received the secondary?

Do you guys know how long it takes the CASPer test to be processed? I took it on the 10th...

Do you guys know how long it takes the CASPer test to be processed? I took it on the 10th...
~2 weeks I believe, but probably varies by how many people took the test on a given date. Last year people were given II's without the test being complete, but the website says the interviews aren't until October. As such... settle in for a wait.

folks with a fee waiver, have any of you gotten a response to the email?

I didn't get a response, they just changed the status to say payment confirmed or something like that. It was later on that day it happened.

I sent an email for the fee waiver last week and haven't gotten any response or status change :(

Log into the portal and check the status of your application. I didn't get a response to the email either, but they updated it on the portal to indicate that my Fee Waiver was applied.

https://www.nymc.edu/school-of-medi...ncial-aid/how-to-apply/secondary-application/

Scroll down till you see "Check The Status Of Your Secondary Application" and log in. Should tell you once you log in whether or not your Fee Waiver was processed

Okay so I searched SDN, the Internet, and CASPER website first.....does anyone know if you can take the Casper with one school selected, and later distribute to an additional school? I haven't been verified yet but I received the NYMC secondary today. I also applied to Tulane, which recommends it, but haven't gotten a secondary yet. I don't want to be presumptuous and have Tulane receive scores before they ask me to take it, but I also don't want to be behind anywhere or take it twice.

Did anyone receive the secondary before being verified by AMCAS?

I remember after taking CASPer it said something about being able to add schools after. I'm not completely sure though, I kind of glossed over it since it didn't apply to me.

Oh I just looked at my CASPer test page, and it looks like I can still add schools.

Okay so I searched SDN, the Internet, and CASPER website first.....does anyone know if you can take the Casper with one school selected, and later distribute to an additional school? I haven't been verified yet but I received the NYMC secondary today. I also applied to Tulane, which recommends it, but haven't gotten a secondary yet. I don't want to be presumptuous and have Tulane receive scores before they ask me to take it, but I also don't want to be behind anywhere or take it twice.
yes u can. i took it for UI and then sent it to NYMC later that day.

So I am filling the secondary out. I have a committee letter that will have all my other letters in it. Do I have to put information in the optional letters section? Or since I have the committee letter with the other letters and I okay?

Is it odd that I still haven't received a secondary from NYMC ? I have a 70 LizzyM and NYS resident. I thought they don't screen, correct? Could it be some sort of error ?

Is it odd that I still haven't received a secondary from NYMC ? I have a 70 LizzyM and NYS resident. I thought they don't screen, correct? Could it be some sort of error ?

OOS same LM and I just got a couple days ago. I'm guessing they send them out in waves so I would just sit tight.

Did you check your spam/junk folder? Sorry if that is obvious and you already had. I followed the wisdom I saw a couple times on here and set up an entirely separate e-mail account for the application cycle. That way I don't miss anything, and they're all in one place together. I even have an alert tone set for that inbox.

Did you check your spam/junk folder? Sorry if that is obvious and you already had. I followed the wisdom I saw a couple times on here and set up an entirely separate e-mail account for the application cycle. That way I don't miss anything, and they're all in one place together. I even have an alert tone set for that inbox.

Yes I read about the junk box a few days ago and found a few in there. But NYMC wasn't in there unfortunately.

I took it last year at the end of August and NYMC reported that they got my score around the time of Thanksgiving.

Thank you,

Can anyone comment on this whole CASPer thing? Is it hard, do we really have to do a prep course for it? Or is it just the type of thing you sit down and bust through.

I took it last weekend. It's not horrible, but it's hard to type everything you want fast enough. You have to make quick decisions on what you would do just to have enough time to answer. They aren't super difficult, and don't need any prep (I think). Just situational questions. Watch/read the examples provided through Casper

$120 secondary, plus according to last year's thread casper is another $20? by far the most expensive secondary I've ever heard of.