2016-2017 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@nainzui Definitely give them a call, it can't hurt you. The other thing I'd suggest you do is look at your application and make sure that your grades, service, etc. are on par for the program. You might want to do this first, as calling the office may prompt a conversation about the strength of your application. Good luck! We're pulling for ya.

Thanks!! Just out of curiosity, how do you approach this? Just ask if there is anything missing from my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Just interviewed at Macon earlier this week. I had a great experience. The admissions staff were so nice and friendly. The Mercer student ambassadors did a great job creating a relaxed atmosphere. First acceptances go out Oct 19.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So the general sense I'm getting from this thread is that the interviews are conversational, and the best way to prepare is to think about how to answer questions like "Tell me about yourself," "Why medicine?" "Why Mercer?" "Why practice in an underserved community?" etc. Is that about right? Does Mercer ask a lot of ethical type questions?

So the general sense I'm getting from this thread is that the interviews are conversational, and the best way to prepare is to think about how to answer questions like "Tell me about yourself," "Why medicine?" "Why Mercer?" "Why practice in an underserved community?" etc. Is that about right? Does Mercer ask a lot of ethical type questions?

Ya their interviewing style is very casual and conversational--atleast that's the impression I had from my interviews. I wouldn't expect an interviewer to ask 'trick' or ethical questions, but I'd give them some thought (biggest issues in medicine, thoughts on Affordable Care Act, etc). The whole point of the process is for the school to get a sense of who you are and if you jive with their mission to serve rural and underserved communities in Georgia. So ya, know yourself, your application, your motivation(s), and your interest(s) in Mercer and you should have two smooth interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Ya their interviewing style is very casual and conversational--atleast that's the impression I had from my interviews. I wouldn't expect an interviewer to ask 'trick' or ethical questions, but I'd give them some thought (biggest issues in medicine, thoughts on Affordable Care Act, etc). The whole point of the process is for the school to get a sense of who you are and if you jive with their mission to serve rural and underserved communities in Georgia. So ya, know yourself, your application, your motivation(s), and your interest(s) in Mercer and you should have two smooth interviews.
Sounds simple and straightforward enough, thanks! A med student at another school once told me he "heard" Mercer had really stressful interviews, so I was expecting to have to do super intensive preparation, like researching common ethical and behavior questions and memorizing every aspect of the ACA haha.

It is pretty laid back and conversational, but I would definitely read over your personal statement, because they do read it and will ask questions about it. Keep in mind a hero figure you admire, favorite book, and your understanding of what the daily life of a doctor is like. Also, they're probably going to ask you to describe your family to them, and maybe your ties to Georgia.

Be sure to have some well thought out questions of your own to ask. If your interviewer is a physician, ask how they decided to follow the path they're on, and ask them advice on how to find your own path, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
It is pretty laid back and conversational, but I would definitely read over your personal statement, because they do read it and will ask questions about it. Keep in mind a hero figure you admire, favorite book, and your understanding of what the daily life of a doctor is like. Also, they're probably going to ask you to describe your family to them, and maybe your ties to Georgia.

Be sure to have some well thought out questions of your own to ask. If your interviewer is a physician, ask how they decided to follow the path they're on, and ask them advice on how to find your own path, etc.

This is very helpful, thank you! I'll have to think of a safe answer to the heroes question...all of the ones who come immediately to mind are risky to mention due to their involvement with politics or causes not universally accepted as good.

This is very helpful, thank you! I'll have to think of a safe answer to the heroes question...all of the ones who come immediately to mind are risky to mention due to their involvement with politics or causes not universally accepted as good.

That is a very good point, I thought the same thing. Also try to tie that to being a physician. As in, how that person's qualities translate to being a good physician.

Anyone get a call with some good news today?

I believe the meeting is at the end of the day today, so people will be *hopefully* be hearing tonight/tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else low key having a panic attack knowing they're meeting RIGHT NOW about who to let in??

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! RD, Interviewed 9/22 in Macon. My interviewer called a little bit ago.

Nontrad, bit of an underdog, first acceptance, currently on cloud nine!! I loved Mercer and was really hoping for this program. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Reactions: 12 users
Any more acceptances tonight? Hopefully tomorrow will have some emails/calls in store!

It was a long evening waiting by the phone, but the call finally came in.

If anyone looking forward to interviews has any questions, I can certainly try to give my best general impressions and advocate for the experience. Good luck and hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to those accepted! For those still waiting, check your emails tomorrow. Good vibes sent your way!

No :( been anxiously waiting since yesterday. Interviewed in September. Do we still get an email if not accepted? (alternate list)

Yes, they will let you know either way.

Edit: this is regarding ED only.

Last edited:
No :( been anxiously waiting since yesterday. Interviewed in September. Do we still get an email if not accepted? (alternate list)

Were you ED or RD? If RD, it was my experience last time that you are just rolled over until the next meeting. The alternate list email will be sent out after the last meeting of the cycle (usually March). The waiting is tough, but stay positive. You can always send them a substantial update to add to your file. Good luck :)

Anyone who interviewed in Savannah in September get accepted yet?

I am pretty sure Jina Parrish said that you get a call/email if you are accepted. Otherwise, you get rolled over to the next meeting to be rediscussed. You can get rolled over every month until the very end when they send their final decisions (accept, reject, waitlist). Feeling nervous too!

Sorry my experience is with ED, please disregard what I said earlier.

Sorry my experience is with ED, please disregard what I said earlier.

It was hard for me to navigate the differences between them. I applied RD last year and ED this cycle and I was so used to one set of instructions that this time around seemed like a different school

Were you ED or RD? If RD, it was my experience last time that you are just rolled over until the next meeting. The alternate list email will be sent out after the last meeting of the cycle (usually March). The waiting is tough, but stay positive. You can always send them a substantial update to add to your file. Good luck :)

Yeah, I am RD. I actually just received an email implying that I've been rolled over to the next meeting to be considered.

I wish I had the means to send them a substantial update but I am not engaging in any academic endeavors during my gap year... just working full-time. :/

@Thoroughbred_Med Hang in there! I know how agonizing the wait can be at times - try to stay occupied and make the most of your time. Continue to strengthen your application and think about what substantial updates you can send to the program in the spring (if you haven't already been accepted by then! ;)). Your current application will continue to be reviewed by the committee until the last meeting - sometime in March I assume? To specifically answer your question about email notification, I pulled the following from the application portal homepage:

"If an EDP or Regular Pool applicant that remains under consideration is invited by the Admissions Committee to be on the Alternate List, the applicant will be notified of this by e-mail by March 15, 2017. An invitation to be on the Alternate List is not an offer of acceptance.
For those that are neither extended an offer of acceptance nor explicitly invited to be on the Alternate List by March 15, 2017 ...it may be the first week of August 2017 before notification on a final decision is communicated by e-mail. We encourage applicants in this category to work toward strengthening their application and reapplying if appropriate."

Good luck!

I am pretty sure Jina Parrish said that you get a call/email if you are accepted. Otherwise, you get rolled over to the next meeting to be rediscussed. You can get rolled over every month until the very end when they send their final decisions (accept, reject, waitlist). Feeling nervous too!

Definitely got rolled over to next month's consideration. Very much disheartened because I enjoyed my interview in Savannah and had great conversations with my interviewers. On to the next one!

Got the timeline email (knew it wasn't an acceptance), which I think means I was reviewed and rolled over. I know this doesn't mean it's over, but I'm definitely feeling down.

Yeah, I am RD. I actually just received an email implying that I've been rolled over to the next meeting to be considered.

I wish I had the means to send them a substantial update but I am not engaging in any academic endeavors during my gap year... just working full-time. :/

I would try to pickup some volunteer activity with something maybe outside the norm. If you don't mind, can you share what your volunteer experience looks like?

Believe it or not, a lot of people are in the same situation. An update in your case could be more shadowing or even volunteering that aligns with their mission of serving the underserved. You want to show them that you are vested and still interested despite the initial setback

What would be appropriate to include in the substantial update other than new grades/MCAT?

Also, does it really matter? because they told us that once you interview you are assigned a number and that number cannot be changed with updates.

I would try to pickup some volunteer activity with something maybe outside the norm. If you don't mind, can you share what your volunteer experience looks like?

Thank you for the advice :)
I would love to pick up some volunteer activity on the weekends but I am so exhausted after working 40+ hours a week. It is just hard to find the time. If I am not working I'm with my loved ones

Thank you for the advice :)
I would love to pick up some volunteer activity on the weekends but I am so exhausted after working 40+ hours a week. It is just hard to find the time. If I am not working I'm with my loved ones

I would try and find something that conveys your altruism, it doesn't have to be medical. Like a homeless shelter for single mothers.

And be prepared to write about it and how it affected you, how it's reinforced your desire to practice medicine, and any parallels with Mercers mission.

Last edited:
@Thoroughbred_Med @mpre - I think @BaseballMD17 is right on the money here. At all 3 of my interviews, I'd say at least 1/2 of the folks in my groups had graduated from their undergrad programs (some even from graduate programs) and were working full-time, myself included, obviously. Not everyone can send in new grades as an update, but what you've got to realize is that in some cases this might not be what's holding you back. If your grades are competitive, you've got to make the time to work in volunteering, shadowing, etc. onto your schedule. You don't need to completely bury yourself in a bunch of different charity outlets, but try to find time that can be used to participate in activities that are both personally rewarding and reflect an altruistic and motivated personality. Try preparing dinner at homeless shelters one night during the week, volunteering/helping with homework at after-school programs, or serving at a mercy-clinic early on Saturday or Sunday mornings - whatever you can do. If you're married with kids or are in a serious relationship, try and get them to volunteer with you. Working 40+/week is definitely draining, but sometimes you've got to pound the pavement to make your dreams come true!

I assume that how much stock is placed in these types of updates varies on the applicant, but you have nothing to lose and so much to gain. At the very least, you've got something new to bring to the table if you need to re-apply for the next cycle!

Thank you for the kind words of advice!
Don't think I'll be trying to stretch myself thin and initiate new activities during my gap year just to whoo Mercer though. I volunteered, shadowed, worked in and served my community all throughout college and if Mercer can't see any parallels to their mission from what I portrayed on my AMCAS and interviews then they just can't. All I can be is myself :) Very hopeful for next committee meeting :)

Thank you for the kind words of advice!
Don't think I'll be trying to stretch myself thin and initiate new activities during my gap year just to whoo Mercer though. I volunteered, shadowed, worked in and served my community all throughout college and if Mercer can't see any parallels to their mission from what I portrayed on my AMCAS and interviews then they just can't. All I can be is myself :) Very hopeful for next committee meeting :)

Do you see any perceived weaknesses in your application?

Do you see any perceived weaknesses in your application?

yeah, typically it is my MCAT score ... but really don't think that's it for Mercer standards (around 80th percentile for their accepted applicants per MSAR). Perhaps the weakness is that the committee is seeing my dedication to serving urban communities instead of rural ones. Indeed, I grew up in Atlanta and went to college there so all of my work is with that kind of population. In that regard, I totally acknowledge that weakness. Mercer has a very specific mission

yeah, typically it is my MCAT score ... but really don't think that's it for Mercer standards (around 80th percentile for their accepted applicants per MSAR). Perhaps the weakness is that the committee is seeing my dedication to serving urban communities instead of rural ones. Indeed, I grew up in Atlanta and went to college there so all of my work is with that kind of population. In that regard, I totally acknowledge that weakness. Mercer has a very specific mission

Take a look at Bridge Atlanta Medical Center. It's a low cost clinic that serves the uninsured population in North East Metro Atlanta area. They need volunteer help. I'd try and spin that and say that the underserved can live anywhere, and it can be a matter of condition not location.

My experiences tend to lean towards urban communities as well. BOTH of my interviewers told me to specifically not worry so much about it so long as I showed a genuine interest in staying in Georgia. Anyway it doesn't seem to have been too much movement aside from the calls that were made yesterday so I, like you, am going to sit tight for a while and hope for better news in November.

Same. We are in this together!
My experiences tend to lean towards urban communities as well. BOTH of my interviewers told me to specifically not worry so much about it so long as I showed a genuine interest in staying in Georgia. Anyway it doesn't seem to have been too much movement aside from the calls that were made yesterday so I, like you, am going to sit tight for a while and hope for better news in November.[/QUOTE

Does anyone know if there has been a facebook page created yet for the class of 2021?

Stay active and address your deficits. The worst thing you can do is sit and wait. Also, be selective with your updates..don't just bombard admissions with updates that are meaningless. Work hard and get different, well rounded experiences, and send a substantial update once the waitlist is set. Also, once the waitlist is set, the deans select students they feel want to be here the most (with obvious academic qualifications being met). So don't just assume b/c your score is set, that you can't help yourself..you can.

For those accepted, first off, congratulations! You are about to embark on the ride of your life...take the time now to relax with friends and loved ones, because once August rolls around, sacrifices will have to be made.

Last word of advice, for those with multiple acceptances, really consider what type of learning style fits you. If you aren't comfortable reading 5+ hours a day and teaching yourself, I'd recommend you matriculate elsewhere. Self directed learning isn't for everyone, and I've met people within my class that are already getting tired. Choose what style fits you the best, and the rest will fall into place. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
To those accepted, how long did it take to receive your official packet/letter in the mail? It's been about a week and I got the packet via email, but no snail mail yet. Just wondering!!

To those accepted, how long did it take to receive your official packet/letter in the mail? It's been about a week and I got the packet via email, but no snail mail yet. Just wondering!!

You don't receive anything via postal mail. Your email packet counts as official acceptance. Congrats!