2016-2017 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying here, does anyone know if mercer is as interested in people involved in underserved communities in urban areas as they are with people interested in rural medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received this afternoon! Verified 6/26

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the word-counts for the prompts? Thanks.

Hey guys, I got accepted here last cycle and will be beginning my first year at Mercer in a little under a month! Just wanted to let y'all know if you need any help with the application process or anything else to let me know and I'll be more than happy to help! Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Any regular decisions applicants received a secondary yet?

Good luck future medical students! Know your application, be yourself and everything will fall into place. My biggest word of advice: don't rush it. Take your time to build the strongest application, which means take an extra year to get meaningful research/clinical experience, take the extra month to study for the MCAT. Whatever you do, take your time. You will be a doctor and practice for many years, 1 extra year to sure up your application will be trivial in the long run. You can PM if you have any large concerns, I will be an M1 at the Macon campus this year. And before anyone asks, 514 3.7. LOL. Cause I know that is the neurotic pre-med question to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck future medical students! Know your application, be yourself and everything will fall into place. My biggest word of advice: don't rush it. Take your time to build the strongest application, which means take an extra year to get meaningful research/clinical experience, take the extra month to study for the MCAT. Whatever you do, take your time. You will be a doctor and practice for many years, 1 extra year to sure up your application will be trivial in the long run. You can PM if you have any large concerns, I will be an M1 at the Macon campus this year. And before anyone asks, 514 3.7. LOL. Cause I know that is the neurotic pre-med question to ask.

With a 514 and 3.7, what made you choose Mercer over your other options? :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With a 514 and 3.7, what made you choose Mercer over your other options? :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Location, curriculum and smaller class. Find the fit for you and you will be successful. Picking a medical school over another solely based on the name is reserved for the top 15 or so schools. The rest, I would go with fit every time. And even though rural primary care is the focus, many students change their mind throughout the entire process. Just look at the most recent match list and you'll see several orthos, couple derms, otos, rad-onc, diagnostic rad and even an optha. Ultimately, choose the best fit for your medical education, do your best once you get there and a field will hopefully call out to you. Any US MD school will give you the opportunity to do whatever you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I saw on last year's thread that people were getting interviews starting July 18th or so. I find it weird that no one's posted about an II this year, even though our cycle started a couple days before last year's.

I saw on last year's thread that people were getting interviews starting July 18th or so. I find it weird that no one's posted about an II this year, even though our cycle started a couple days before last year's.
Some IIs have gone out. Classmate got one earlier this week.

Don't get too worked up about what order your II comes in. Last year I was complete super early and had a buddy who was complete 2 weeks after me.. He got an interview invite almost immediately whereas I waited over a month to get mine. I got in, he didn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, new here and applying (or at least WAS applying) to early admissions Mercer. However, AMCAS decided to just process my transcript TODAY so I sent an email to admissions about an extension. Does anyone know if Mercer is good with that sort of thing? Or should I just hope for regular admissions at this point?

Hello, new here and applying (or at least WAS applying) to early admissions Mercer. However, AMCAS decided to just process my transcript TODAY so I sent an email to admissions about an extension. Does anyone know if Mercer is good with that sort of thing? Or should I just hope for regular admissions at this point?
Just by looking at their website, I don't foresee them granting an extension. I know they are pretty strict on deadlines. With all of their deadlines explicitly highlighted, it might be hard! It might be best to try and come to talk to the admissions office in person so they can put a face to the name.

https://medicine.mercer.edu/admissions/md/early-decision/

Is essay 9 optional? I dont really have anything else to add/any unique factors.

Is essay 9 optional? I dont really have anything else to add/any unique factors.

I would advise to add as much as you can to differentiate yourself from other applicants who all have similar scores and common experiences. Each prompt is a chance to show them why they should pick you, so I would use the space wisely. Everyone is unique and different, so show and tell them how you are different. I'm convinced if you sat down and thought about your story, you could come up with unique factors.

And obviously don't just rehash, but maybe expand upon something from another prompt.

Hey guys, I got accepted here last cycle and will be beginning my first year at Mercer in a little under a month! Just wanted to let y'all know if you need any help with the application process or anything else to let me know and I'll be more than happy to help! Good luck!

What advice do you have for the interview at Mercer?

For ED does anyone know how many people got an interview/how many people got accepted last year?

I know after talking with Mrs. Spears early in June she stated they are only interviewing at most 70 applicants for ED. I know after talking with some faculty there, ADCOM hopes to fill half of the class from ED...so it would be around 50-60 seats.

Just received a "file complete" email from Mercer for RD... I submit my secondary July 21st. That lag tho.

Just received a "file complete" email from Mercer for RD... I submit my secondary July 21st. That lag tho.
+1 just got marked complete this morning. Indeed, serious lag time. As a school that gets less applicants than most, you would think they'd move faster

+1 just got marked complete this morning. Indeed, serious lag time. As a school that gets less applicants than most, you would think they'd move faster

When did you submit your secondary?

I guess they're not that invested in their RD folks since they fill such a huge chunk of their class with ED applicants.

I guess they're not that invested in their RD folks since they fill such a huge chunk of their class with ED applicants.
Agree, just got the confirmation today.

really? ED is a big thing at Mercer? I submitted their secondary on 7/4

On the homepage of the secondary I see "Unexpired state issued photo identification document" (which im guessing is like a drivers license or something) listed as one of the components needed for a complete secondary. For those of you that have gotten complete emails, have you submitted anything for this category. I mean I would but there is no upload tab for this document and I don't see it listed anywhere else as a requirement.

On the homepage of the secondary I see "Unexpired state issued photo identification document" (which im guessing is like a drivers license or something) listed as one of the components needed for a complete secondary. For those of you that have gotten complete emails, have you submitted anything for this category. I mean I would but there is no upload tab for this document and I don't see it listed anywhere else as a requirement.

That refers to the "State Issued Photo Identification" tab. All I did was scan my photo ID and uploaded it onto the site.

I know after talking with Mrs. Spears early in June she stated they are only interviewing at most 70 applicants for ED. I know after talking with some faculty there, ADCOM hopes to fill half of the class from ED...so it would be around 50-60 seats.

Do you know for sure if they are only interviewing 70 ED people? I was told it changes year to year?

applying here but still waiting for AMCAS to be verified. Good luck all!

What advice do you have for the interview at Mercer?

Know the curriculum is key. Know which specialties are primary care. Prove that you are a person with a least some (feigned or not) interest in primary care. Prove that you aren't a robot.

Any word on RD interviews? Has anyone gotten or know someone who's gotten a Mercer RD II?

I have a RD scheduled at the end of the month

It's been a few weeks, but I went to Mercer undergrad. I think thats the only reason I got one this early

Last edited:
II received last night for RD! Complete 8/16.

Congrats! What are your stats?

Thank you!
LizzyM ~63. Nontraditional, with my poor grades being from about 8 years ago. Also, a lot of volunteer and research experience with underserved populations.

Last edited: