2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I realize the SAT & ACT scores are probably used for statistical studies, but if we absolutely can't remember our scores, is it ok to leave it completely blank? I took the exams 7-8 years ago haha
I took mine 6 and was able to sign into both the college board and ACT to get my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who were waiting on a secondary I was too and I am so glad I didn't email Jeff b/c I received it this morning, so I would suggest waiting and not coming off as the prototype neurotic premed

Yay!

I took mine 6 and was able to sign into both the college board and ACT to get my scores.
Yeah, tried that with no luck. No idea what my College board username or password are, kept trying to recover the information and finally managed to find out which email I used in high school to register, tried to reset the password on the email, was told "I don't have account recovery options for resetting my password" :bullcrap:

Guess I'm calling Jefferson tomorrow to double check

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, tried that with no luck. No idea what my College board username or password are, kept trying to recover the information and finally managed to find out which email I used in high school to register, tried to reset the password on the email, was told "I don't have account recovery options for resetting my password" :bullcrap:

Guess I'm calling Jefferson tomorrow to double check

Let us know! Having the same issue. Took it 8/9 years ago. Didn't even realize they changed the scoring system again.
Wow, I feel old.

Let us know! Having the same issue. Took it 8/9 years ago. Didn't even realize they changed the scoring system again.
Wow, I feel old.

Hahaha yup, definitely feeling old as well. And will do!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so frustrated with the secondary portal. I spent ages transcribing my 4000 character additional info stuff into the box since you can't cut and paste and I was logged out for inactivity. There isn't a save button anywhere and now I have to try it again. How am I supposed to dictate that much before it logs me out? I don't know what to do.

I'm so frustrated with the secondary portal. I spent ages transcribing my 4000 character additional info stuff into the box since you can't cut and paste and I was logged out for inactivity. There isn't a save button anywhere and now I have to try it again. How am I supposed to dictate that much before it logs me out? I don't know what to do.

I'm not sure what the deal is with copying and pasting. Every secondary that said do not copy and paste, I went ahead and did it anyways. I used MS Word and I didn't have any issues. Is it maybe a browser issue? I use Safari.

I'm not sure what the deal is with copying and pasting. Every secondary that said do not copy and paste, I went ahead and did it anyways. I used MS Word and I didn't have any issues. Is it maybe a browser issue? I use Safari.

Well I feel like a derp. I went ahead and pasted it in and it submitted just fine. It was the first secondary the directly told me not to cut and paste and people earlier in the thread were saying they had issues doing it. Blargh, oh well. It's done now hah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I feel old.

Just called! SAT and ACT scores not mandatory, you don't have to guess/estimate if you don't remember. Hope this helps all of us on this thread who took it 7-24 years ago !

Reactions: 1 users
can someone please tell me some unique things about Jefferson. I am not from the States, and therefore do not know the area/school that well. Thanks in advance :)

Thoughts/feedback from people who have already submitted their secondary on using all 4000 characters for the essay?

II received on Monday!
Can't wait~

What do you guys think about the LGBT prompt? I mean I do identify as LGBT but it's not a big deal and I feel strange marking it on a medical school application haha.

What do you guys think about the LGBT prompt? I mean I do identify as LGBT but it's not a big deal and I feel strange marking it on a medical school application haha.

I was also in this boat, it was a little strange being asked that without anything else attached to it. I ended up not checking the box because I don't really have a concrete way that I could tie it into my desire to go to medical school. I feel like it could be a major interview question if you choose to out yourself in that way, and I didn't want to be put in a situation where I know I'd flounder.

mine wouldnt let me submit when i copied and pasted so i had to type in
It wouldn't let me, either, and kept getting an error message until I typed the whole thing in. I was using Chrome, and I tried copying it from Wordpad. *sigh* Oh well, it's done and over with, not that big a deal in the long run.

You mean the check box? I dunno, I did for pretty much the same reason I marked "white," because they asked and that's how I identify. Personally I don't really mind mentioning it, and I think it's a nice gesture by them. Elsewhere on here, I've been told it doesn't really hurt to mention it to friendly schools, since many adcoms see it as another form of diversity. If you're not comfortable outing yourself that way though or it's not of much importance, I'd say don't feel like you have to.

For the additional information, do they want a "why Jefferson". I'm planning on just describing my gap year activities

can someone please tell me some unique things about Jefferson. I am not from the States, and therefore do not know the area/school that well. Thanks in advance :)
Google it. You're in the same boat as everyone else who didn't grow up around the university.

Jeff is extremely LGBT friendly (they're also right next to the gayborhood part of philly), and their student group is very active. I doubt checking/unchecking that box has any impact on your app, but def. wouldn't hurt, I could argue that it helps (if it's true- don't be sharks sdn)

Thoughts/feedback from people who have already submitted their secondary on using all 4000 characters for the essay?
I would like to know as well. No way I am writing more than 2000 characters.
Is this also where we have to explain who is writing the LORs?

If you have a lot to say, go for it. I used about 3950 characters lol

At Jeff, LGBTQ students are considered URM. They use that box on the secondary to allow applicants to identify themselves as such since AMCAS does not inherently consider LGBTQ students URM and has no place to identify yourself as such.

When I interviewed 2 years ago, the LGBT status I checked off on the secondary was not talked about or asked once, probably just as they would never ask a black student "so I see here you checked off that you're black under race".

As long as you didn't mention these gap year activities in your primary, I think it should be fine. I don't think you would benefit from being redundant if they didn't specifically ask you about gap year plans, but that's just my $0.02

I didn't mention the gap year activity in my AMCAS, so I feel like it would be appropriate to list it. But this is only about 1000 characters and they give 4000. Should I write more to fill in the characters? Do they want us to fill it up with more information?

Does anyone know if the 4000 characters include space or not?

Reapplicant here that got waitlisted last cycle, this school is the absolute best. Amazing family atmosphere and they seem to really care about training compassionate, skilled clinicians

Good luck to everyone applying! Hoping for another II here!

I know they require 4 letters and that 3 letters will be acceptable, but does anyone know the maximum number of letters that they accept?

I know they require 4 letters and that 3 letters will be acceptable, but does anyone know the maximum number of letters that they accept?
MSAR says 6 letters maximum. And just for your convenience (though you may have seen this already) these are their website's instructions:

* We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible). Applicants who have been involved in graduate programs are encouraged to provide additional letters from their graduate schools. Letters of recommendation must be received by January 1.

For those of you who submitted already, does it say "decision pending" next to "interview" when you check your status?

I'm thinking about applying here.....but I discovered this school late in the game :( If I applied now, do you guys think it would be too late?

I'm thinking about applying here.....but I discovered this school late in the game :( If I applied now, do you guys think it would be too late?

Jeff reviews and re-reviews applications throughout the season and extends IIs and acceptances through mid-April. I know of at least one classmate for sure that applied in August and they're here, and my gut says I know others too but just can't think of specific names off the top of my head. I also hosted someone last cycle who applied in very late September and he was accepted a week after he interviewed. I personally submitted my secondary last week of July two years ago, and well, here I am.

If you think Jeff is or might be a match, go for it. It shouldn't hurt you really (except maybe your wallet).

@Rumor13

Any merit scholarships/aid you know of here?

There aren't any merit scholarships (at least that is what I was told once). There are other scholarships given out based on need and typically to those with URM status. Those range from as little as a 1k to 10k (these are numbers I've been told by friends claiming to have received them, there could very well be smaller and/or larger ones I haven't heard of). There are also some need-based school loans that have lower than federal interest rates, don't accrue interest in school or residency, and can be deferred through residency.

As a whole, Jeff is not particularly known to be generous in the way of financial aid for most unfortunately.

EDIT: A certain strange doctor may or may not have just informed me that there are definitely scholarships worth more than the 10k I know to exist via anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
There aren't any merit scholarships (at least that is what I was told once). There are other scholarships given out based on need and typically to those with URM status. Those range from as little as a 1k to 10k (these are numbers I've been told by friends claiming to have received them, there could very well be smaller and/or larger ones I haven't heard of). There are also some need-based school loans that have lower than federal interest rates, don't accrue interest in school or residency, and can be deferred through residency.

As a whole, Jeff is not particularly known to be generous in the way of financial aid for most unfortunately.
There's definitely amounts higher than 10k... But you didn't hear it from me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

So I submitted 7/13 but the app still says, "This Web application is complete but has not yet been processed." Assuming that means that my app isn't considered to be ready for review yet. Anyone else have this too? Not sure if this is normal if I should call yet seeing as it's been 2 weeks.
Read post #118. This only changes if you end up matriculating to Jefferson.

Have any more II been sent out since that one day a few weeks back?

When I go to my Interview Status it says: Interview Not Offered. Does this mean I'm out of the game? Or just that I haven't been offered an interview yet? Anyone know? Don't want to give up hope just yet!

When I go to my Interview Status it says: Interview Not Offered. Does this mean I'm out of the game? Or just that I haven't been offered an interview yet? Anyone know? Don't want to give up hope just yet!
Ummmm, I cannot say for sure but did it say "Decision Pending" before? Because that is what mine says. I am praying for you...

Mine says decision pending and has said that since I completed the secondary. When did yours change?

I don't know if it said that since I completed the secondary. Pretty sure it was two to three days later when they actually started the review process. I submitted 7/1 though.