2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...not insensitive at all. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, just for my simple minded clarification... the only people who have received/ know their campus assignments are ones who did early decision, correct? For every one else, they will be notified in late April, however the people who were accepted in December/January will have more favorable odds of receiving their #1 ranked choice in the lottery because they were accepted earlier?

So, just for my simple minded clarification... the only people who have received/ know their campus assignments are ones who did early decision, correct? For every one else, they will be notified in late April, however the people who were accepted in December/January will have more favorable odds of receiving their #1 ranked choice in the lottery because they were accepted earlier?
ED applicants get their first choices - I believe most choose Indy but not all. Recipients of merit scholarships also get their first choices. I read here on this thread that being accepted earlier gives you a higher chance in the April lottery but I know quite a few who were accepted early last year with strong stats and not all were happy with assignments - I know one last year who got a very low choice and elected to go elsewhere. I know another student two years ago was accepted in March and got Indy. Who knows if what has been done in other years will be done this year anyway. I have heard people who choose a satellite campus as a first choice usually get that campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted in December and chose Bloomington as my first choice because I live there. I will let you know how it goes... I hope the satellite campus first choice trend holds true. I would hate to have to move when I have a life literally 5 minutes away from a campus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I was accepted in December and chose Bloomington as my first choice because I live there. I will let you know how it goes... I hope the satellite campus first choice trend holds true. I would hate to have to move when I have a life literally 5 minutes away from a campus.

I would be surprised if you don't get Bloomington

ED applicants get their first choices - I believe most choose Indy but not all. Recipients of merit scholarships also get their first choices. I read here on this thread that being accepted earlier gives you a higher chance in the April lottery but I know quite a few who were accepted early last year with strong stats and not all were happy with assignments - I know one last year who got a very low choice and elected to go elsewhere. I know another student two years ago was accepted in March and got Indy. Who knows if what has been done in other years will be done this year anyway. I have heard people who choose a satellite campus as a first choice usually get that campus.

Interesting, thanks for the response!

When are merit scholarships announced?
They sent out an email a couple of months ago; 1/3 in December, 1/3 in late February, and the last 1/3 in late March. I don't know if the March ones have gone out yet, but if not, I'd assume whoever gets them hears this week!
I'm pretty sure there's ~40 total, so if they haven't sent out March scholarships, there's probably 12-13 left!

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if any in-state people could provide insight about the Northwest and Fort Wayne campuses. As an OOS, I'm trying to decide which is a better fit for me. My goal is to go into orthopedic surgery, so any campus that may be geared towards this would be ideal. As far as location goes, I grew up in a pretty bad neighborhood, so I'm not too worried about the bad rep Gary gets. If anyone has details about the surroundings/student life around each campus, I'd appreciate your response!

I just got the rejection email from IUSM. I'll be calling them soon to get feedback.

I just got the rejection email from IUSM. I'll be calling them soon to get feedback.
Sorry friend! Hopefully they give you good feedback besides the generic, "Med school admissions is competitive" advice. Pulling for you!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if people are receiving rejections now, I would guess the committee met recently and we may expect some sort of decision soon?

So if people are receiving rejections now, I would guess the committee met recently and we may expect some sort of decision soon?
My observation has been that rejections are always emailed at the end of the month, so my guess is that yesterday's rejections are from when the committee met three weeks ago.

My observation has been that rejections are always emailed at the end of the month, so my guess is that yesterday's rejections are from when the committee met three weeks ago.
Ah I see. Well shoot. Was hoping for some clarity soon.

The committee just met last Wednesday, 3/22. The next meeting is scheduled for April 12.

The committee just met last Wednesday, 3/22. The next meeting is scheduled for April 12.
Whoa, nice. I'm surprised you were able to get that information but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks!

Has anyone heard about IUSM pushing back campus assignments? I heard they are getting reaccredited due to a few 4th year students from one regional campus (South Bend?) not receiving residency matches, which is affecting the campus placement announcements.

Has anyone heard about IUSM pushing back campus assignments? I heard they are getting reaccredited due to a few 4th year students from one regional campus (South Bend?) not receiving residency matches, which is affecting the campus placement announcements.
whah where did you hear that?

What % of students match? Not sure where to find this information

whah where did you hear that?
One of my friends who was also accepted and does research for the school of medicine heard that from another student he works with (not sure if that student is a medical student).

Just got off the phone with IU. The reason for my rejection was my institutional action related to underage drinking in my dorm. He said I had a competitive GPA and MCAT score. I was never arrested or interacted with the law at all. It was my first sorority formal and I ended up having to go to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. I didn't know at the time of applying that it was considered an institutional action because it had to deal with campus housing, not the dean of students so I didn't include it in my application. When I found out it was, I wrote a statement and updated all my applications. Unfortunately, IU didn't like that I didn't disclose this at the beginning and they said I should've done more to show I learned from the experience. Obviously this hurts like hell and I'm extremely upset but I kinda expected it. Good luck to the rest of you all! I'm rooting for you guys who still haven't heard!

Just got off the phone with IU. The reason for my rejection was my institutional action related to underage drinking in my dorm. He said I had a competitive GPA and MCAT score. I was never arrested or interacted with the law at all. It was my first sorority formal and I ended up having to go to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. I didn't know at the time of applying that it was considered an institutional action because it had to deal with campus housing, not the dean of students so I didn't include it in my application. When I found out it was, I wrote a statement and updated all my applications. Unfortunately, IU didn't like that I didn't disclose this at the beginning and they said I should've done more to show I learned from the experience. Obviously this hurts like hell and I'm extremely upset but I kinda expected it. Good luck to the rest of you all! I'm rooting for you guys who still haven't heard!
Really sorry to hear you are in this situation - you know maybe if you drank more in high school you would have been more prepared for that first formal. Obviously I am kidding but this seems a bit unfair to me - your undergrad pre-med advisor should have helped you more with this. I would think you can re-apply and address this upfront and show what you learned etc and you will be fine. In the long run waiting a year won't be the worst thing that ever happens to you - maybe even will be a benefit - all the best for you

Really sorry to hear you are in this situation - you know maybe if you drank more in high school you would have been more prepared for that first formal. Obviously I am kidding but this seems a bit unfair to me - your undergrad pre-med advisor should have helped you more with this. I would think you can re-apply and address this upfront and show what you learned etc and you will be fine. In the long run waiting a year won't be the worst thing that ever happens to you - maybe even will be a benefit - all the best for you
Thank you! I think I brought it up to my advisor once and she didn't even think it was an issue or a University action! I'm definitely reapplying! All the best for you as well and everyone else here on sdn! Y'all have been a blessing!

Financial aid was posted today. Has anyone checked their aid package yet?

Does anybody know when and how campus placements are announced?

Does anybody know when and how campus placements are announced?

2016's came out on April 22nd.
2015's: April 24th.
(both on Fridays)

Via Portal.

Edit: Added 2015 + how announced.

Last edited:
Thank you! I think I brought it up to my advisor once and she didn't even think it was an issue or a University action! I'm definitely reapplying! All the best for you as well and everyone else here on sdn! Y'all have been a blessing!
Hales, I am very sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting. With your LizzyM which I view as very competitive for in-state at IUSM, I am sure that if you re-apply and explain the situation, you will get in. (I mean of course you learned from the experience to go on and do well in premed classes which are not easy and require responsibility to stay on top off.) Tbh, I am in a similar situation except it's in regard to a large number of W's I accumulated due to personal and financial reasons and if you don't mind will learn from you experience and heavily emphasize how I've grown. Best of luck and I'm sure you will get in!

Hales, I am very sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting. With your LizzyM which I view as very competitive for in-state at IUSM, I am sure that if you re-apply and explain the situation, you will get in. (I mean of course you learned from the experience to go on and do well in premed classes which are not easy and require responsibility to stay on top off.) Tbh, I am in a similar situation except it's in regard to a large number of W's I accumulated due to personal and financial reasons and if you don't mind will learn from you experience and heavily emphasize how I've grown. Best of luck and I'm sure you will get in!
Yes! Definitely have a plan of how you will address it in your personal statement and interview! I had no idea I had an institutional action so I was not prepared at all. Good luck!

Would anyone suggest calling admissions and asking if you can send an experience update that the committee can look through when evaluating my profile? I have some cool experiences that are significant as far as application, since interviewing in September 2016; thoughts?

It's always worth a try because if you don't try, it's the same outcome as them saying don't send anything. They could tell you to send your experiences in, which could bump you up to an acceptance. It's always worth a try.

I have no information about the match, but the reason we are being reaccredited in April is because every medical school is reaccredited by the LCME every 8 years. Our last LCME visit was in 2008. They were scheduled to come back in late 2016, but decided to push it back to spring 2017 because they wanted to see a full year of the new curriculum. It's just the regular, 8-year check-up.

Reactions: 4 users
As promised, an attendance policy update: after making its way through many committees, the IUSM attendance policy has been revised. Small-group sessions are still mandatory. However, mandatory attendance has been removed for all lectures. Lecture attendance is encouraged, but optional.

I have to give it up to our class officers and representatives that have been working very hard to get this policy changed, and also to the administrators who listened and responded to student input.

Reactions: 13 users
As promised, an attendance policy update: after making its way through many committees, the IUSM attendance policy has been revised. Small-group sessions are still mandatory. However, mandatory attendance has been removed for all lectures. Lecture attendance is encouraged, but optional.

I have to give it up to our class officers and representatives that have been working very hard to get this policy changed, and also to the administrators who listened and responded to student input.

This is awesome news!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Nice! Now hopefully the adcom will just send me a letter in the mail soon.

Nice!

This is great! How often are the small group sessions?

This is great! How often are the small group sessions?
Depends on the class. For FCP, the clinical class, you will have a 3 or 4 hour block of small group about once per week. For the other classes, it depends on that class's particular schedule. No more than 50% of the contact hours in any class can be lecture, but that is spread out over the duration of the class. So one week could be 60/40 lecture/group, another week 40/60 lecture/group, etc. Bottom line? We have a total of 26 contact hours per week. ~50% of those will be small group, averaging out to 13 hours of mandatory activities per week, although individual weeks can (and do) vary significantly.

Depends on the class. For FCP, the clinical class, you will have a 3 or 4 hour block of small group about once per week. For the other classes, it depends on that class's particular schedule. No more than 50% of the contact hours in any class can be lecture, but that is spread out over the duration of the class. So one week could be 60/40 lecture/group, another week 40/60 lecture/group, etc. Bottom line? We have a total of 26 contact hours per week. ~50% of those will be small group, averaging out to 13 hours of mandatory activities per week, although individual weeks can (and do) vary significantly.
That's pretty much how it is at other schools from my experience so that's fair IMO.