2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I honestly don't even remember LOL. I received and returned my secondary in November and never heard anything. I retook the MCAT in January; my score and percentile improved substantially so I sent a few letters of intent last week. I'd given up all hope TBH so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Where did you send your letter of intent??

Members don't see this ad.

II just now! One spot left left for 03/28, 4 spots for 03/29, and 04/05 is newly open.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an international applicant? I am. I did my undergraduate here in the States though. I was complete since August and got an Interim email in December but haven't heard anything since then. I'm praying to God everyday and hoping for an interview. I know he will do it for me. My God never fails! :)
take it easy.. long way to go in life..

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything from financial aid?

I am coming from Los Angeles, and I'm worried about moving all the way to DC! Born and raised in LA, so big change for me. I am focusing my housing search on the Hyattsville, MD area near Prince Georges Plaza metro stop. Lots of options and very close to grocery stores, etc.
What options have you found? I hadn't considered there!

What options have you found? I hadn't considered there!
Mostly places within walking distance to the Prince Georges Metro station. I've been focusing on the 20782 zipcode, so buildings such as Mosaic at Metro, Alterra, Post Park, University Towers, etc. This location seems to be in between Howard and University of Maryland, so it is safe and mostly students and young professionals. Altogether, with walking and Metro, it's about a 30 minute commute to Howard.

~For anyone still waiting to hear back for an II~

I called Howard on Monday. The person I spoke to said the interview cycle will probably run until early May. She said if I didn't hear back by April 15th (which is a Saturday, but someone here got an II last Saturday!), then it most likely means I've been rejected.

P.S. I know some people here said they had difficulties calling admissions. I was able to get through after calling and then re-calling immediately after!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the where the Howard financial aid form is located? is it online?

I am coming from Los Angeles, and I'm worried about moving all the way to DC! Born and raised in LA, so big change for me. I am focusing my housing search on the Hyattsville, MD area near Prince Georges Plaza metro stop. Lots of options and very close to grocery stores, etc.

As someone who has lived in the DMV my whole life I would suggest not focusing your search in that area. You want to be in DC or right outside. If you want to be in a college area then you need to look around College Park.

I wish they were more receptive to calls... been calling for like 2 months - no luck. just 1 email response and that didn't even tell me anything.

I wish they were more receptive to calls... been calling for like 2 months - no luck. just 1 email response and that didn't even tell me anything.

I wish that I could get a II. I'd book a flight so fast lol.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:
As someone who has lived in the DMV my whole life I would suggest not focusing your search in that area. You want to be in DC or right outside. If you want to be in a college area then you need to look around College Park.
Is this for safety reasons or...?

II about an hour ago!!! I'm so happy!!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks! I got the complete email on 8/30 and I'm OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody have any interview tips? What kind of questions did they ask you? Is it a faculty interview?

I feel like Howard is playing with me man. :(:grumpy:. Been on an emotional rollercoaster since last year. It would all be worth it if i get an II though. So heres me praying.
BTW congrats to everyone that recently got an interview or acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just a few thoughts, I don't think IS/OOS really matters because its a private institution (correct me if I'm wrong).
And I think they're trying to catch up because of the snow they had a few weeks ago.

Congrats! Happy for you! But also wish they would send me one too haha
I hope they do!

I did call HU earlier this week to check on the status of my application. Not sure if this resulted in an II or if it was just a coincidence. If you haven't already called, maybe give it a try!

Reactions: 1 users
I hope they do!

I did call HU earlier this week to check on the status of my application. Not sure if this resulted in an II or if it was just a coincidence. If you haven't already called, maybe give it a try!
Which number did you call and what did you ask?

Come on Howard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gimme some loooovvveeeee

Which number did you call and what did you ask?
202-806-6279

I just asked if someone could check on the status of my application. Whoever I spoke to was very nice and said that my application was still under review.

2.62uGPA/2.15sGPA, 4.0 MS, 500 MCAT

I am more of a complex case. I think my essays and LORs really helped!

Hi, did you hear back? How long did they take to give you an answer?

And then they sent the II?
I'm not sure what affect the phone call had. They didn't say anything over the phone to indicate that me calling would result in an II.

My II email did say that there was a second review of my application. So who knows, maybe that phone call let HUCOM know that I was still very interested in interviewing.

I've heard stories of people calling which led to interviews and others leading to rejection. You just never know how it'll turn out.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure what affect the phone call had. They didn't say anything over the phone to indicate that me calling would result in an II.

My II email did say that there was a second review of my application. So who knows, maybe that phone call let HUCOM know that I was still very interested in interviewing.

I've heard stories of people calling which led to interviews and others leading to rejection. You just never know how it'll turn out.

Hey does your portal say that you have an interview scheduled? Unfortunately if the II goes to my spam I probably won't get it since my email has recently been attacked by HUNDREDS of spammers lol. So checking the portal is my only hope