2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i'll be joining you, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here as well! Do you know when Howard expects to send out secondaries?

Does anyone know if Howard has a major preference for IS applicants?

howard's application website says they won't accept mcats 3 years or more before matriculation? i wrote my mcat in august 2014, would that mean I'm not eligible for this application cycle?

howard's application website says they won't accept mcats 3 years or more before matriculation? i wrote my mcat in august 2014, would that mean I'm not eligible for this application cycle?

According to MSAR, you are good. They will accept back to August 2013.

Any one receive the secondaries yet? Can you please post the prompts? Thanks

Anyone else heard about secondaries yet?

According to MSAR, secondaries can be submitted on August 15th so my guess is that we should be getting them in the next 2-3 weeks.

I just want to be done with secondaries :(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How receptive is this school to OOS applicants?
You can't be serious. This school is in DC everyone is out of state. Do your research on sites like start class or even in old thread on this site. it's especially important to know the very basic things about the school when completing secondaries and during interviews if you get one.

Reactions: 1 users
You can't be serious. This school is in DC everyone is out of state. Do your research on sites like start class or even in old thread on this site. it's especially important to know the very basic things about the school when completing secondaries and during interviews if you get one.

They could still have a preference for surrounding areas, atleast thats what I was getting at when I posted my version of that question. Plus whats the difference between looking at an old thread for old information and receiving new, up-to-date information from this current thread, especially considering the fact that current students have been known to answer questions on the forums...is that not in itself research?

They could still have a preference for surrounding areas, atleast thats what I was getting at when I posted my version of that question. Plus whats the difference between looking at an old thread for old information and receiving new, up-to-date information from this current thread, especially considering the fact that current students have been known to answer questions on the forums...is that not in itself research?

OP asked if Howard is receptive to out of state applicants. A Google search will answer that. My point is practically everyone is out of state because of the geographical location of the school. Checking a site like start class and seeing the breakdown of applicants, interviewees, and matriculants' home states makes that question silly, to me at least. Even so, this question has been answered before. The admissions process really hasn't/doesn't change. It would be different if OP asked if Howard having integrated learning (or not) or something specific. It's a very general question that anyone can answer whether or not they go to the school. We're all aspiring docs here we have to be resourceful.

OP asked if Howard is receptive to out of state applicants. A Google search will answer that. My point is practically everyone is out of state because of the geographical location of the school. Checking a site like start class and seeing the breakdown of applicants, interviewees, and matriculants' home states makes that question silly, to me at least. Even so, this question has been answered before. The admissions process really hasn't/doesn't change. It would be different if OP asked if Howard having integrated learning (or not) or something specific. It's a very general question that anyone can answer whether or not they go to the school. We're all aspiring docs here we have to be resourceful.

I didn't know the forum had policies against asking questions that have already been asked before or questions that were "too general" but ok.... I mean,
I don't see why a person can't use this forum as a resource to gain answers to questions they may have, silly (in your opinion) or otherwise, without getting condescending answers in return...but again ok :eyebrow:....Anyway i've never heard of that website you mentioned where stats are listed, I'll have to check it out!

I didn't know the forum had policies against asking questions that have already been asked before or questions that were "too general" but ok.... I mean,
I don't see why a person can't use this forum as a resource to gain answers to questions they may have, silly (in your opinion) or otherwise, without getting condescending answers in return...but again ok :eyebrow:....Anyway i've never heard of that website you mentioned where stats are listed, I'll have to check it out!

I never stated that or implied that it was against any policy. I simply answered OPs question. You took my answer as condescending and decided to engage my comment and interpret my motives for whatever reason. You also decided to interpret/extrapolate OPs question to level 10000, when all I did was read it at face value. Maybe I've been hitting the Pysch/Soc books too hard, but I think this has much less to do with OPs question, but rather you got offended because you asked a question similar to OPs and now you feel dense. Nevertheless, the info out there for all other aspiring pre-meds. I'll make it especially easy for you add the specific link for Howard ;). Good luck in all your future endeavors.

http://medical-schools.startclass.com
http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/96/Howard-University-College-of-Medicine

Last edited:
Lololol. Apparently you've been hitting the psych books a lot harder than I have because i've never read a psych book that taught omniscence in the first person to the point where you could decipher what your comment made me think about myself...Go ahead and put your General Psych books back in the box though, i'm not going to engage you any longer lol. Thanks for the links though..I'm sure that they will be a lot more helpful in ACTUALLY answering the original question than your previous rant was. Though being helpful probably isn't as self gratifying as berating others is for you, is it?

Reactions: 2 users
Lololol. Apparently you've been hitting the psych books a lot harder than I have because i've never read a psych book that taught omniscence in the first person to the point where you could decipher what your comment made me think about myself...Go ahead and put your General Psych books back in the box though, i'm not going to engage you any longer lol. Thanks for the links though..I'm sure that they will be a lot more helpful in ACTUALLY answering the original question than your previous rant was. Though being helpful probably isn't as self gratifying as berating others is for you, is it?

LMAO Omniscence? Why are we talking about a band again?? The original comment wasn't about you. It wasn't directed at you. It actually, and this is the kicker here, had nothing to do with you, whatsoever. You literally jumped in out of nowhere bringing up your tangent question as if someone was talking about it or cared. But I'm the one who was ranting? Oh okay. News flash Princess, the world doesn't give a half of a crap about you or your feelings. Take off the diaper and put on your big girl panties. All the other rugrats grew up maybe you should try it too. :laugh:

Well that escalated quickly... and unnecessarily.

@MakeLifeHappen13

Yeah it's a simple question, and as stated above it's practically all OOS. You should definitely get a copy of MSAR.

Reactions: 8 users
Well that escalated quickly... and unnecessarily.

@MakeLifeHappen13

Yeah it's a simple question, and as stated above it's practically all OOS. You should definitely get a copy of MSAR.

Thank you for your polite response. My MSAR subscription ran out a couple of weeks ago which is why I asked here.

Did anybody else get an email from here confirming the date that secondaries get sent out as august 15th?

+1

Weird thing is AMCAS has not verified me yet. anyone on this boat?

Same boat not verified yet but will be by end of week. Think they are just aware of who added them to their AMCAS application even before verification.

Did anybody else get an email from here confirming the date that secondaries get sent out as august 15th?
I have not been verified on amcas yet but I did not receive that email. Are they sending it out to only verified applicants?

I have not been verified on amcas yet but I did not receive that email. Are they sending it out to only verified applicants?

I'm verified now, but I wasn't at the time when I received the email.

I'm verified now, but I wasn't at the time when I received the email.

+1. But I doubt it means anything negative for those who didn't get the email. Howard seems to be admittedly all over the place with the way they send out emails.

Actually those who come from the DMV area are not considered OOS applicants.

Last edited:
I interviewed here and at Morehouse last year but unfortunately didn't make it off of either watilist. If you have any questions about application turnaround times or anything of that nature feel free to PM me.

Does any one knows if Howard changes their secondary essays. I am thinking on start pre-writing it .

They need to send us these secondaries already lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully they reduce the number of essays :)

Prompt??

Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged?

After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community?

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations?

Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)

-Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged?

After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community?

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations?

Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)

-Best of luck everyone!

Word thanks boss. Is there character limit?

Did everyone get the secondary today? Still waiting