2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted as well! Interviewed end of January! Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat- waiting to hear back. I'm still really really hopeful because I really believe that HUCM is the school for me. When I went to the open house back in November, I just fell in love with the setup and the atmosphere that the students described. It's really a school where you can excel but also want your classmates to excel, and we'd all be working toward the goal of serving the underserved. I'm praying every day to hear good news from them- it's really the only thing that I want for my life right now. Hope everyone's handling the stress well!

As someone who went to the open house, Ms. Walk specifically said NOT to send letters of intent. Her verbatim words were "if you're applying we already know your interested. And if you send it in past January then we know you're likely sending it because other schools have not worked out."

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who went to the open house, Ms. Walk specifically said NOT to send letters of intent. Her verbatim words were "if you're applying we already know your interested. And if you send it in past January then we know you're likely sending it because other schools have not worked out."
I think they would be e mailing to check reiterate how serious they are. Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

I think they would be e mailing to check reiterate how serious they are. Nothing wrong with that.

They're pretty swamped so I doubt they would email every person who sends an LOI back to tell them not to.

I think it's more a situation that since it's standard Practice among applicants, it probably won't hurt that much. But from Ms. Walks mouth, it doesn't help.

Think about it, why would someone wait until this late to send an LOI except that their other schools feel through? If a school was number one all along you should have said that back in September not at the end. Definitely comes across pandering and potentially insincere.

They know you're interested by virtue of spending money on the secondary and (hopefully) writing a compelling essay. A mid March letter talking about how Howard is your dream school etc etc isn't gonna move the needle.

They're pretty swamped so I doubt they would email every person who sends an LOI back to tell them not to.

I think it's more a situation that since it's standard Practice among applicants, it probably won't hurt that much. But from Ms. Walks mouth, it doesn't help.

Think about it, why would someone wait until this late to send an LOI except that their other schools feel through? If a school was number one all along you should have said that back in September not at the end. Definitely comes across pandering and potentially insincere.

They know you're interested by virtue of spending money on the secondary and (hopefully) writing a compelling essay. A mid March letter talking about how Howard is your dream school etc etc isn't gonna move the needle.
LoL there is definitely merit to this. But I don't think it hurts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, congrats to those of you who have been accepted. I'm going to be applying this summer and honestly am scared $#!%-less. I'm from Northern Virginia and am heavily interested in attending HUCOM open house and HUCOM for medical school. I can't find a ton of information about it on their website except that it's the first Friday of every month. Can someone who has attended it PM me or respond here with who to contact for where exactly the event is held?

Also I'm going to start pre-writing my secondaries next week. Is it okay to answer some questions yes/no? I would answer the first question with 'no' because I have not lived in an economically disadvantaged area.
You just show up to the medical school on the First Friday of every month and go down to the basement (you can also just ask the receptionist once you get there and they'll give you directions downstairs). Super chill, no need to RSVP or anything. They usually have a quick info session followed by a tour led by some students.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind; Published, extracurricular, shadowing, healthcare related activities?
non published research (done in high school), average extracurriculars (community service chair, tutor), good amount of shadowing (mostly ER, but also plastic surgery), reapplicant, during gap year I worked at retail store and volunteered as tutor for high school exit exam and for hospice.

Hey guys,
Has anyone heard from the financial aid department? Also, has anyone been awarded any merit or need based scholarships? Thanks

If you get through to them let us know because I've been calling since September

Hey so I got through to them! lol. It was so weird. Someone picked up the phone and I couldn't think of what to say (hello duh). I felt like a teenager talking to my crush lmbooooo.

But anyway, they will be interviewing up until the end of April and probably even the first week of May because it's looking like it will be a long season for them. So there is still hope! Also, she encouraged sending in updates.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey so I got through to them! lol. It was so weird. Someone picked up the phone and I couldn't think of what to say (hello duh). I felt like a teenager talking to my crush lmbooooo.

But anyway, they will be interviewing up until the end of April and probably even the first week of May because it's looking like it will be a long season for them. So there is still hope! Also, she encouraged sending in updates.

Yes!!!! But where can we send updates?

Me too on Friday! I can confirm this info

Same here! I called them and someone picked up right away. I was so shocked that it took me a while to formulate my words. But yes, she said the same thing to me. And my app has been looked at twice but still no decision was made on my application. -___- WHY THE TORTURE!?

Same here! I called them and someone picked up right away. I was so shocked that it took me a while to formulate my words. But yes, she said the same thing to me. And my app has been looked at twice but still no decision was made on my application. -___- WHY THE TORTURE!?

I wonder if I should call...

Sent from my iPhone

Congratulations. Are you a reapplicant and what was your extracurricular like? OOS, IS or Intl?

Thank you! I'm not a re-applicant, but I am OOS. I have a few leadership roles underneath my belt. I'm praying everything goes well. Howard's been one of my top choices for so long.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I'm not a re-applicant, but I am OOS. I have a few leadership roles underneath my belt. I'm praying everything goes well. Howard's been one of my top choices for so long.
I know I'll be joining you soon!! Well I thank God for you. Blessings!!

Congratulations. Are you a reapplicant and what was your extracurricular like? OOS, IS or Intl?
Are you an international applicant? I am. I did my undergraduate here in the States though. I was complete since August and got an Interim email in December but haven't heard anything since then. I'm praying to God everyday and hoping for an interview. I know he will do it for me. My God never fails! :)

It's awesome to know Howard is still sending out interviews. Good luck everyone!

Just received (my first ever!!!) II. Major underdog so I'm in shock right now. Dates for the end of this month. God is good!

Reactions: 18 users
What was your compete date?

I honestly don't even remember LOL. I received and returned my secondary in November and never heard anything. I retook the MCAT in January; my score and percentile improved substantially so I sent a few letters of intent last week. I'd given up all hope TBH so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Reactions: 5 users
Are there any accepted students currently looking for roommates or living arrangements? I am coming from the south and want to take a jump on it and pick y'all's brain.

Are you an international applicant? I am. I did my undergraduate here in the States though. I was complete since August and got an Interim email in December but haven't heard anything since then. I'm praying to God everyday and hoping for an interview. I know he will do it for me. My God never fails! :)
+1

LizzyM: 55 (I cannot stand AMCAS), MS degree, 4+ years of patient care experience, a little bit of research, strong ECs and LORs.

What did you get your MS in? Out of curiosity... Haha i hate AMCAS (math in the sgpa), mainly because i suck at math haha

Yes I am!! Same I did do my undergrad here

Are there any accepted students currently looking for roommates or living arrangements? I am coming from the south and want to take a jump on it and pick y'all's brain.

I feel you. I will definitely be needing a roommate. Won't know my budget until financial aid sends out my package.

Yes I am!! Same I did do my undergrad here
That's awesome! it's really tough for us out here. I feel like they are accepting and interviewing all citizens and permanent residents first before international students. I'm praying everyday .

I am coming from Los Angeles, and I'm worried about moving all the way to DC! Born and raised in LA, so big change for me. I am focusing my housing search on the Hyattsville, MD area near Prince Georges Plaza metro stop. Lots of options and very close to grocery stores, etc.

I am coming from Los Angeles, and I'm worried about moving all the way to DC! Born and raised in LA, so big change for me. I am focusing my housing search on the Hyattsville, MD area near Prince Georges Plaza metro stop. Lots of options and very close to grocery stores, etc.
good luck.. cold weather is a problem. I am from midwest and recently moved to west coast..