2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PARP is a program that allows a small group of students to come in the summer and in essence "preview" the first couple of modules of M1. Students are assessed during this time. Matriculation to the incoming class requires the successful completion of the PARP program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
PARP is a program that allows a small group of students to come in the summer and in essence "preview" the first couple of modules of M1. Students are assessed during this time. Matriculation to the incoming class requires the successful completion of the PARP program.

Is there a separate application for this program? Or do they choose from the current batch of MD applicants?

Does anyone have 2017 match info? To recent interviewees, did Ms. Walk present match info during the info session?

Members don't see this ad :)
After 5 more phone calls, finally got a response. Still being considered for an interview invite and interview invites may extend all the way until early May. We will be notified by email.
Do you know if interview invites or interviews extend until May? I thought the last day for interview invites is April 15th

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, did anyone who interviewed at the beginning of March get an "Out of committee email"? It passed 5 weeks since the day of my interview and I haven't received any emails. My anxiety is killing me! :(

Do you know if interview invites or interviews extend until May? I thought the last day for interview invites is April 15th
I read in previous posts that they will be interviewing until the beginning of May. I suggest you call the admissions office. I know they are hard to get on the phone but try as many times as you can and send emails. Good luck!

Has anyone called admissions to find that it goes straight to voicemail, aka just a beep sound? I've called probably 10 times and after being prompted to press 1, that's what I hear
Based on my experience, they are better at responding emails than phones.

Anybody know what the average GPA and MCAT of last year's incoming class was? And the minimal range?
I know the minimum MCAT score is 494 or 22 to be considered as a competitive applicant. Its website indicates this as well.

Any one knows what does it mean when your status is possibility for a future interview? Does that mean I will get an interview or if there is space I will... I am confused.

The status on my secondary app reads "Interview not scheduled yet" does it say that on everyone's app or does that mean I'm actually getting an interview?

The status on my secondary app reads "Interview not scheduled yet" does it say that on everyone's app or does that mean I'm actually getting an interview?

I'm pretty sure everyone's says that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I called and thats what they told me the comment on my application is.. I do not mean the website.

Anyone wrote a letter of intent before an interview?

withdrew from here this morning, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone wrote a letter of intent before an interview?
Wrote and submitted an pre-interview letter of intent to Howard through email on 2/8 and multiple email updates (12/8, 12/22, 1/8, 2/10, 3/24). Did not get a response from them, though.

II!!!! Heart skipping a beat!

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats! What days do they still have available?
Thanks! Only April 25th and April 26th were given. While the invite stated those were the last two days, when I spoke with admissions a month or so ago, they did say they may be interviewing in May. But it is certainly getting down to the wire. If you really are interested in Howard, go to the next Open House (first Fridays of the Month).

Last edited:
Thanks! Only April 25th and April 26th were given. While the invite stated those were the last two days, when I spoke with admissions a month or so ago, they did say they may be interviewing in May. But it is certainly getting down to the wire. If you really are interested in Howard, I'd email Ms. Walk and/or go to the next Open House (first Fridays of the Month). I think doing both helped me.

What's her email address?

Any out of committee emails? If you received one, when did you interview?

Yea. Very unique case though so not sure if I'll be a good comparison:
uGPA 3.1; sGPA 2.8 (mostly due to low grades 10 years ago); 504MCAT; lots of EC working with disadvantaged.

Last edited:
uGPA 3.1; sGPA 2.8 (mostly due to low grades 10 years ago); lots of EC working with disadvantaged, but I'm also a career changer who had a PhD in the humanities (gGPA 3.7) beforehand as well.

Thank you and good luck on your interview!!!! :D

uGPA 3.1; sGPA 2.8 (mostly due to low grades 10 years ago); 504MCAT; lots of EC working with disadvantaged, but I'm also a career changer who had a PhD in the humanities (gGPA 3.7) beforehand as well.
Congratulations! May I ask what resources you used to study for the mcat?

Congratulations! May I ask what resources you used to study for the mcat?
Self study. Bought the AAMC section banks. Did those a lot. As well as AAMC full length practice exams. Bought Examkrackers books and their full length exams too. I took practice exams over and over. Should have done them even more, though, I would say. But if I had to do it over again I would bite the bullet and add a real Kaplan or Princeton Review course too. I think its worth it to get as good an mcat score as possible.

Self study. Bought the AAMC section banks. Did those a lot. As well as AAMC full length practice exams. Bought Examkrackers books and their full length exams too. I took practice exams over and over. Should have done them even more, though, I would say. But if I had to do it over again I would bite the bullet and add a real Kaplan or Princeton Review course too. I think its worth it to get as good an mcat score as possible.
I've heard good things about exam krackers so I'm going to try them. I took Kaplan but they didn't have any real strategies, just good content. Also, when did you apply to Howard?

I've heard good things about exam krackers so I'm going to try them. I took Kaplan but they didn't have any real strategies, just good content. Also, when did you apply to Howard?
I think my secondary was complete early October.

Any suggestions of places to stay when interviewing?

Any suggestions of places to stay when interviewing?
I stayed at Comfort Inn Downtown DC, Convention Center. Not too expensive and it's located 10 minutes away from the school. The email with the interview info gives you a link with a list of hotels Howard works with or has partnerships with. It's better if you stay somewhere close to the school like the one I stayed. Good luck!

I stayed at Comfort Inn Downtown DC, Convention Center. Not too expensive and it's located 10 minutes away from the school. The email with the interview info gives you a link with a list of hotels Howard works with or has partnerships with. It's better if you stay somewhere close to the school like the one I stayed. Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

Does anybody know how many spots would still be left in the class at this point? In previous years' posts it looks like only a few, but in those threads, the interview cycle also seemed to have started earlier. Anyone who recently interviewed may have an input from what the admin office may have said about # of seats left during their interview?

Does anybody know how many spots would still be left in the class at this point? In previous years' posts it looks like only a few, but in those threads, the interview cycle also seemed to have started earlier. Anyone who recently interviewed may have an input from what the admin office may have said about # of seats left during their interview?
They really did not share how many seats are left or how many applicants they will be interviewing in the following weeks. They just mentioned the class size which is 110 or 120 (don't remember this exactly). But I suggest you call the office (try many times) or email Ms. Walk and ask her directly. Remember that there are applicants who are accepted to Howard but decide to go to other schools so the number of seats left, in my opinion, changes as the cycle progresses.

They really did not share how many seats are left or how many applicants they will be interviewing in the following weeks. They just mentioned the class size which is 110 or 120 (don't remember this exactly). But I suggest you call the office (try many times) or email Ms. Walk and ask her directly. Remember that there are applicants who are accepted to Howard but decide to go to other schools so the number of seats left, in my opinion, changes as the cycle progresses.
Thanks for your input!

So quiet here! Any more recent acceptances?

Dear all,

To give some "peace of mind" (however possible that is during this process): I called the admissions office this week and they've said that while those April dates are the last few interview dates so far, after April, they will take another look to see whether they would like to add any interviews in May (that is, no guarantees, but it is a possibility).
As for those of you interviewing in April, yes, there have been plenty of acceptances given out, but I was told that according to their statistics, many of those acceptances may not be matriculating. So, those of you who are interviewing in April are not necessarily interviewing for "waitlist spots". Again, while their class could be described as full, since schools accept more than just the number of class spots (here probably about 2x as many seats), there are still more acceptances to be handed out.

Hope this helps. Probably won't be able to know much more until a week or so into May.

Reactions: 2 users
Dear all,

To give some "peace of mind" (however possible that is during this process): I called the admissions office this week and they've said that while those April dates are the last few interview dates so far, after April, they will take another look to see whether they would like to add any interviews in May (that is, no guarantees, but it is a possibility).
As for those of you interviewing in April, yes, there have been plenty of acceptances given out, but I was told that according to their statistics, many of those acceptances may not be matriculating. So, those of you who are interviewing in April are not necessarily interviewing for "waitlist spots". Again, while their class could be described as full, since schools accept more than just the number of class spots (here probably about 2x as many seats), there are still more acceptances to be handed out.

Hope this helps. Probably won't be able to know much more until a week or so into May.
Did they say the class was full?