2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."

Is this status normal, good, bad?
I got the same
My friend was offered an interview

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@yellowbottlesippin @ishiningstar

I believe LizzyM is around 67-69 ish! So anyone out there who has a lower gpa and/or mcat, don't give up hope! :)
Finally someone with under a 70 LizzyM got an II somewhere. All the threads are "omg I'm so lucky I have a LizzyM of 79 I was so worried I wouldn't get an II!" Go non-stat powerhouses.

Although I want an II now too. Conflicted feelings :p

Reactions: 9 users
so is the re-review status good, bad or indifferent? submitted 7/11 so I guess I'll start to worry next week if nothing changes

Members don't see this ad :)
It's too early to panic about not getting an interview invite, guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
The wording is the same as has been posted previously. No email, only update was via checking portal.

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

For the Why GW essay, one of my reasons is that I feel like a good academic fit (GPA/MCAT wise). Should I put that? Or does that not matter since many schools have similar numbers? Because it was a reason I initially looked into the school.

For the Why GW essay, one of my reasons is that I feel like a good academic fit (GPA/MCAT wise). Should I put that? Or does that not matter since many schools have similar numbers? Because it was a reason I initially looked into the school.

I wouldn't include that since being a good fit academically is implied if you apply there. I would focus on how the curriculum, mission, volunteer/outreach stuff, or there things that the school offers and how those align with your interests, skills, experiences, and goals.

No. For the past week or so, it has been saying, "your file is under review" [paraphrase]. I was never on hold. I started panicking when people started receiving IIs a couple of days ago, but I guess my app was just further back in the queue. I was complete on 7/1.

No. For the past week or so, it has been saying, "your file is under review" [paraphrase]. I was never on hold. I started panicking when people started receiving IIs a couple of days ago, but I guess my app was just further back in the queue. I was complete on 7/1.

Thanks the info! Congrats again!!

As for the rest of us... Back to panicking. . Hopefully we'll all hear soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Georgetown just came in!!!!!!!!!! Crazy day.

Does anyone know if George Washington is receptive to in the area emails? I'll be in DC for another interview and it's hella expensive to get there hahah

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Submitted! AMCAS is now processing my primary (submitted June 22) so fingers crossed it will be verified by like Monday. Still waiting on MCAT score though :(

Does anyone know if George Washington is receptive to in the area emails? I'll be in DC for another interview and it's hella expensive to get there hahah

I'm in the same boat! DC is an incredibly long haul for me too........seems we're from the same hometown friend.

I'm also currently on hold for re-review, if that matters much.

Submitted 7/15, just checked the portal to see I'm on hold for rereview.

Congrats ! When did u submit , were you put on Hold at all ? Mind sharing your stats?

No problem. I'm always kind of hesitant because I'm definitely not stellar GPA wise. Ah well.

3.4 cGPA (science is a bit lower) but I have an upward trend and I took a semester of postbacc science coursework.

512 MCAT

1.5 years of undergraduate research and currently doing research at a pretty competitive institution. I'm first author on a paper that is currently undergoing revisions. I have a large amount of teaching and shadowing experience. I was also a scribe for a year.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry I forgot.... complete 7/2. I was never on hold. My status had been simply 'under review' for almost a week.

Reactions: 1 users
QUOTE="SydSing, post: 17949041, member: 554972"]No problem. I'm always kind of hesitant because I'm definitely not stellar GPA wise. Ah well.

3.4 cGPA (science is a bit lower) but I have an upward trend and I took a semester of postbacc science coursework.

512 MCAT

1.5 years of undergraduate research and currently doing research at a pretty competitive institution. I'm first author on a paper that is currently undergoing revisions. I have a large amount of teaching and shadowing experience. I was also a scribe for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
Thanks , am sure your ECs made up for it :thumbup:

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot.... complete 7/2. I was never on hold. My status had been simply 'under review' for almost a week.

Ah that makes sense, looks like the people who got lIs were never on Hold !
I am on Hold ..

Reactions: 4 users
Last year the way it seemed to work was "under review" meant you were getting an II. Hold either lead to "under review" or a pre-II rejectioon.

Is it too late to add GW?? I don't wanna be at a disadvantage adding it late since there are so many applicants but I'm regretting not applying here

Is it too late to add GW?? I don't wanna be at a disadvantage adding it late since there are so many applicants but I'm regretting not applying here

If you have the financial means, just add it. you'll always wonder "what-if" if you don't!

Also, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice for the adversity/diversity question. I was thinking of talking about the racial discrimination I faced during my time studying abroad in Spain, and then bringing in the extracurricular activities I have been involved in that allowed me to cope + tie in my experience w/ advocacy organizations to talk about how the skills can help me to contribute to the diversity of the student body as well as later on as a doc. My concern is that I personally am a very social justice-oriented individual and am very worried about coming on too strong. I feel as though I am always having to censor myself when it comes to social justice and my answer to "Why GW?" already focuses on a similar theme. Should I try to come up with something else? I don't want to sound like a broken record.

If you have the financial means, just add it. you'll always wonder "what-if" if you don't!

Also, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice for the adversity/diversity question. I was thinking of talking about the racial discrimination I faced during my time studying abroad in Spain, and then bringing in the extracurricular activities I have been involved in that allowed me to cope + tie in my experience w/ advocacy organizations to talk about how the skills can help me to contribute to the diversity of the student body as well as later on as a doc. My concern is that I personally am a very social justice-oriented individual and am very worried about coming on too strong. I feel as though I am always having to censor myself when it comes to social justice and my answer to "Why GW?" already focuses on a similar theme. Should I try to come up with something else? I don't want to sound like a broken record.

If you can write that tactfully and in 1000 characters, sure but that may be difficult. My whole application was based one social justice and how my life experiences have tied into my aspirations. Realize that you are not aiming to convince the reader that what you believe matters or to change their view point. I follow a few rules on secondaries.

I don't harp on negatives. I don't get tied down in details. I quickly state the problem/concern if there is one and then coast through on how I have grown from it and how I will incorporate those lessons in the future.

If you can write that tactfully and in 1000 characters, sure but that may be difficult. My whole application was based one social justice and how my life experiences have tied into my aspirations. Realize that you are not aiming to convince the reader that what you believe matters or to change their view point. I follow a few rules on secondaries.

I don't harp on negatives. I don't get tied down in details. I quickly state the problem/concern if there is one and then coast through on how I have grown from it and how I will incorporate those lessons in the future.

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I guess I feel like people always have a visceral negative reaction to the term "social justice" so I don't like to talk about it too much on things like med school apps. Congrats on your interview invite!

Stunned. Just checked my gw app and was feeling hopeful for my first ii but alas, I'm in the dreaded hold status :( guess this is where I learn gw was not meant for me.

Last year the way it seemed to work was "under review" meant you were getting an II. Hold either lead to "under review" or a pre-II rejectioon.
But the Holds a lot of us have are "Hold for Re-Review" and it clearly says that the review has been completed. Can it go back to " Under Review" from here?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I guess I feel like people always have a visceral negative reaction to the term "social justice" so I don't like to talk about it too much on things like med school apps. Congrats on your interview invite!

Yeah it can be a vague term. Relate it back to healthcare.

Thank you.

How long did it take most of you to receive a status other than "file complete"? I submitted my secondary about a week ago, but my primary wasn't verified until Friday. I'm just trying to get a good gauge so I'm not obsessively refreshing..

How long did it take most of you to receive a status other than "file complete"? I submitted my secondary about a week ago, but my primary wasn't verified until Friday. I'm just trying to get a good gauge so I'm not obsessively refreshing..
I was complete last Tuesday and checked the portal yesterday and found I was put on hold. Pretty quick turnover

No problem. I'm always kind of hesitant because I'm definitely not stellar GPA wise. Ah well.

512 MCAT

Convinced we are the same person minus a slight difference in stats (and the fact that I'm on hold haha). So weird!!! Congrats on your II!

But the Holds a lot of us have are "Hold for Re-Review" and it clearly says that the review has been completed. Can it go back to " Under Review" from here?
I don't mean to put your hopes down but seeing tht they get a lot of applications, having a hold status wud definitely be cause to worry. The way I see it, most schools are selecting ppl with mcat over 508 this year for interviews regardless of gpa.

Convinced we are the same person minus a slight difference in stats (and the fact that I'm on hold haha). So weird!!! Congrats on your II!

gif-twins-baby-dance-388255.gif

Very weird. Can't wait to see how things work out for us. Thanks.

Reactions: 7 users