2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the work experience section are you guys listing it resume style?

Members don't see this ad.

also for the experience section to confirm it is only from the year january 2016 to matriculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mentioned all of the things I'll be doing this year. Work, school, volunteer stuff, research.

Applying here OOS and this is high on my list of "dream programs". Received the secondary yesterday evening.

Is there any potential benefit from submitting your secondary before your AMCAS is verified? I'm still waiting for the primary verification to finalize. Would submitting the secondary prior to AMCAS verification "bump" you up in the list of applications?

Applying here OOS and this is high on my list of "dream programs". Received the secondary yesterday evening.

Is there any potential benefit from submitting your secondary before your AMCAS is verified? I'm still waiting for the primary verification to finalize. Would submitting the secondary prior to AMCAS verification "bump" you up in the list of applications?

I would think so. Then as soon as your AMCAS is ready, you are all set. They use rolling admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
No. It said academic year didn't it?

The just want to know what you're going to be doing from now until medical school matriculation (ie - hopefully not just sitting around).

No. It said academic year didn't it?

The just want to know what you're going to be doing from now until medical school matriculation (ie - hopefully not just sitting around).

lmao it said 2016-2017 application cycle so I described everything I did even from january 2016-may 2016 and described what I am doing now and will be doing...hopefully it is fine since I already submitted haha

If you can "smell" the patient is the general rule of thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hm. I wouldn't include scribing as direct patient contact though you are certainly close enough to "smell" the patient.

Can any successful applicants to GW comment on this?

This might not be the right place to ask, but does anyone have suggestions on what to talk about for challenges faced/diversity you'll bring if you're a white middle class male who recognizes his privileged status in society? :confused:

This might not be the right place to ask, but does anyone have suggestions on what to talk about for challenges faced/diversity you'll bring if you're a white middle class male who recognizes his privileged status in society? :confused:

You could talk about that and how you hope to gain insight by interacting with the diverse GW population and the community of DC

Members don't see this ad :)
You could talk about that and how you hope to gain insight by interacting with the diverse GW population and the community of DC

Right...and I did mention that as a reason for why GW appeals to me. I've done a lot of work with the Hispanic community where I'm at now and have worked diligently on my Spanish speaking ability. It just feels weird mentioning my specific background in a question that asks for the diversity I would bring, but I guess it's better to be honest than fabricate some BS diversity about myself.

What exactly counts as direct patient contact?
If you think e.g. scribing is not, then don't put it. Talk about what you KNOW is direct contact. Why risk it? haha I had scribing and changed it to something more direct when i was copy/pasting.

Can we submit more than 3 LORs? They don't specify a maximum so I'm assuming it's 6?

Diversity is not just about race. They want to know what about you will enhance their med school class.

Reactions: 3 users
Potentially a silly question, but what should we refer to the school as in our essays? For example: GW SMHS, GW, SMHS, something else?? Trying to save as many characters as possible and I've seen all of these abbreviations throughout their website.

Potentially a silly question, but what should we refer to the school as in our essays? For example: GW SMHS, GW, SMHS, something else?? Trying to save as many characters as possible and I've seen all of these abbreviations throughout their website.

I think I spelled it out once and just did GW thereafter.

Is anybody else trying to apply md/mph? It wasnt available to check in AMCAS, so how do we apply?

For these secondary prompts? Anyone else having a hard time making 350 characters last more than just answering the question?! Just by answering the question, I take up 300 characters.

Reactions: 4 users
Having the same issue haha. Wonder if they mind that I'm basically repeating my meaningful experiences from the primary app

What should I do if I don't know what I'm going to be doing in my year off yet? This year is my gap year and I have accepted a position with AmeriCorps to begin in August. However, I only accepted the position to keep as a back-up in case I do not get the job I really want. I won't be finding out about whether or not I get this "dream job" for a few weeks so is it okay to answer this question on the secondary as if I am going to be going forward with the AmeriCorps job, and then update the school if/when that changes? Or is it better to just wait until I find out about the "dream job" even if that means I won't be able to submit the secondary for a few weeks?

Is it alright to talk about travel plans to in the plans for the 2016-2017 cycle? Because besides that, I'm just working full time...and that's not a very fun story :bored:

Is it alright to talk about travel plans to in the plans for the 2016-2017 cycle? Because besides that, I'm just working full time...and that's not a very fun story :bored:
You can, but unless those travel plans are for a productive cause (not vacation), I would try to include other things.

What should I do if I don't know what I'm going to be doing in my year off yet? This year is my gap year and I have accepted a position with AmeriCorps to begin in August. However, I only accepted the position to keep as a back-up in case I do not get the job I really want. I won't be finding out about whether or not I get this "dream job" for a few weeks so is it okay to answer this question on the secondary as if I am going to be going forward with the AmeriCorps job, and then update the school if/when that changes? Or is it better to just wait until I find out about the "dream job" even if that means I won't be able to submit the secondary for a few weeks?

Definitely just submit with your current plans. You can update your secondary with a new job after submission if need be.

"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."

Is this status normal, good, bad?

Well, it just means that they're not interested in offering you an interview at the moment, but that they might later. Not great, obviously, but there were a fair number of people with that status last cycle who were ultimately offered an interview, some even a month or two later.

Reactions: 1 users
Same status here, so sad - don't they want to meet me? Just kidding, I know it's really early.

"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."

Is this status normal, good, bad?
Same status here, so sad - don't they want to meet me? Just kidding, I know it's really early.

Do you both mind sharing your stats?

Hey guys, can yall provide me with some unique things abut GW? I am not from the States, so I am not familiar with this university/area. Thanks a lot

For the most meaningful clinical experience, do people focus on a specific anecdote, or a more general overarching experience? For AMCAS, I talked more generally about my volunteering in the stabilization room. I could easily pick specific anecdotes from within that experience too. But 350 characters is short (even without spaces counted) so I am unsure how to focus this!

For the most meaningful clinical experience, do people focus on a specific anecdote, or a more general overarching experience? For AMCAS, I talked more generally about my volunteering in the stabilization room. I could easily pick specific anecdotes from within that experience too. But 350 characters is short (even without spaces counted) so I am unsure how to focus this!

The really low character count is really messing with me too

Secondary received!
girl, you have a pretty smile but you might want to change your picture to remain anonymous on here! Never know who is lurking ;)

EDIT: know* . lol definitely wrote this late at night after working on secondaries all day X)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
^^^ True.

Seriously though, 350 characters gives you no space to elaborate. I'm assuming they really just want us to ***briefly*** indicate which experiences were most meaningful with a couple words on why.

I focused on a specific anecdote for mine last year. Otherwise it becomes too similar to your work/activities section, imho.

I am happy GW refers their school as "GW" on the secondary so I can avoid using this incredibly long name! Haha

For the clinical experience, would it be wrong to write about something sad? All of the meaningful experiences that have been sticking out to me have been kind of sad. Not sure if I should instead write about something else.

For the clinical experience, would it be wrong to write about something sad? All of the meaningful experiences that have been sticking out to me have been kind of sad. Not sure if I should instead write about something else.

I think that's absolutely fine, but 350 characters is incredibly short (in my opinion)... might be difficult to explain, unless you are super efficient (which you possibly are! :))

I think that's absolutely fine, but 350 characters is incredibly short (in my opinion)... might be difficult to explain, unless you are super efficient (which you possibly are! :))

The 350 character limit is incredibly difficult! Never thought I'd wish I could write more

I went with a specific anectode . You won't be able to fit anything else in 350

My most meaningful clinical experience is also my most meaningful community service. (put in over 6,000 hours) Other volunteering or clinical experience doesn't come close in hours of experience, what do you guys think is the best way to approach this?