2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor?(Y/N) If yes, explain (500 char)
Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? (Y/N) If yes, explain (500 char)
Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2016-2017 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2017. (750 characters)
What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg @Ismet
Seems to be similar to last year.

Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor?(Y/N) If yes, explain (500 char)
Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? (Y/N) If yes, explain (500 char)
Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2016-2017 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2017. (750 characters)
What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Also for the clinical question, would hospital volunteering count as clinical experience? Didn't actually touch patients but definitely got close enough to smell them (per the LizzyM definition). Otherwise, I have started volunteering in a assisted living facility but thats not listed on my primary...

Essays:

1. Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor? (500 characters)

2. Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? (500)

3. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2016-2017 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2017. (750 characters)

4. What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)

5. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

6. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)

7. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Got the secondary today. Prompts are the same as last year's!

I just received the secondary too... my application (submitted June 22) is still marked "ready for review." I didn't think I would get a secondary until after it was verified and my MCAT score receives (which I'm not taking until July 9). I clearly don't have this whole timeline thing figured out the way I thought I did. Ah well, onward I go.

I just received the secondary too... my application (submitted June 22) is still marked "ready for review." I didn't think I would get a secondary until after it was verified and my MCAT score receives (which I'm not taking until July 9). I clearly don't have this whole timeline thing figured out the way I thought I did. Ah well, onward I go.

This happened to me to! Still waiting for verification, but this secondary just popped up in my email...

Does anyone know how GWU looks at an applicant who has been arrested for a misdemeanor but hasn't been convicted, plead guilty, or plead no contest?

I just called the office - they said that regardless of verification status, AMCAS has provided contact information for them to send out secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! I submitted last week and thought I'd have at least five days to recuperate before starting to pre-write. Boy was I wrong...

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received! I submitted last week and thought I'd have at least five days to recuperate before starting to pre-write. Boy was I wrong...
same here! my first secondary, hope this goes well

I just called the office - they said that regardless of verification status, AMCAS has provided contact information for them to send out secondaries!

I see. I know some other schools specifically said they wait until after verification, so I guess I began assuming they all did. In any case, I'm going to stay focused on MCAT for one more week. So exciting though!

The most meaningful clinical experience question is pretty much the same as one of my activities in my primary app. Is it bad if I mention the same meaningful experience? I even have it check off as one of most meaningful experiences on the application.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the payment site not working for y'all?
EDIT: It's working again.

Last edited:
350 character limit is brutal!

Reactions: 5 users
Strange. I submitted and was verified quite a while ago. Still no secondary from them. And they're my top choice. :(

If we're in school should we also talk about our part time jobs and activities?

If we're in school should we also talk about our part time jobs and activities?

Definitely.

Also got mine! 1st time applying to US schools so I'm kind of excited :)

Does that mean our payment went through or not? I got the Runtime Error as well, and I don't want to submit again in case it processes twice...

I got the error before putting in payment or etc. The page wouldn't load from the start when I would click on the link to be directed to the payment site. I just refreshed it every few minutes and it eventually loaded. If you got the error message after putting through your payment be really careful. I would suggest contacting them ASAP. They seem pretty strict about the "No Refund" policy.

I'm actually still waiting on a LOR. Anyone know if I can send in the secondary without my LORs. I should have it soon. I submitted my primary application on the 25th, so it's still being verified.

I got the error before putting in payment or etc. The page wouldn't load from the start when I would click on the link to be directed to the payment site. I just refreshed it every few minutes and it eventually loaded. If you got the error message after putting through your payment be really careful. I would suggest contacting them ASAP. They seem pretty strict about the "No Refund" policy.

Apparently, they say they'll send an email once payment is complete, so I figure I'll just wait 24 hours and if I don't get an email from them and my card isn't charged, then I'll just try again.

I'm actually still waiting on a LOR. Anyone know if I can send in the secondary without my LORs. I should have it soon. I submitted my primary application on the 25th, so it's still being verified.

Pretty sure you can; schools normally receive LORs separately from secondaries, and will update your status once they are received.

I received the secondary email today as well and submitted my primary yesterday.

I don't think our files will be reviewed even if we submit the secondary until they receive LORs.

I paid this morning and saw green text below the submit button with the authorization code. It read:
"Your payment information was successful.
Authorization code: ####
An email confirmation will be sent to the address provided. Please check your junk/spam folder as sometimes the email is sent to these folders."

Sure enough, the email confirmation ended up in my spam folder...

The most meaningful clinical experience question is pretty much the same as one of my activities in my primary app. Is it bad if I mention the same meaningful experience? I even have it check off as one of most meaningful experiences on the application.
I have the same problem here, does anyone have any thoughts?

I have the same problem here, does anyone have any thoughts?
I honestly do not see why it would be a bad thing. Unless a new clinical experience usurped the one on your AMCAS over the last couple of weeks, then it only makes sense that they would be the same. Perhaps just discuss different aspects of the experience/provide a different perspective than you did on your primary.

secondary received... and I feel that this might be the hardest to write just because of the incredibly small character limits

secondary received... and I feel that this might be the hardest to write just because of the incredibly small character limits

The 350s were a killer. I wish they gave 1500 for "why GW" and 600 for the meaningful experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Btw I used an experience that I wrote about as meaningful on AMCAS for this secondary. Both asked what is the most meaningful, and the thing I chose is the most meaningful. I wasn't about to pick something less meaningful for one just to pick something different.

Grr I have been trying to submit this secondary all day but can't even get to the payment page because of "runtime error" messages.

Just got this secondary in today. I was kind of surprised. I sent my primary in on Tuesday thinking I'd have to wait two weeks for verification and could go on a week vacation, but guess not. Still excited to get this in though!

Definitely.

I'm starting a 1-year grad program in the fall, so I know to write about that for the academics. But I'm not sure what activities I'll be doing yet because I'm not familiar with what's offered there. So what do you think I should put?

Has anyone successfully submitted this thing yet?

I'm starting a 1-year grad program in the fall, so I know to write about that for the academics. But I'm not sure what activities I'll be doing yet because I'm not familiar with what's offered there. So what do you think I should put?

I would put exactly what you know you're doing. You can always update schools later with new activities.

Hey just so everyone knows - this is the rare secondary that does not count spaces as characters. You actually get quite a bit more space than I initially thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Officially applied! I really like this place. I know its 'low yield' but fingers crossed :)