2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be a negative if I think my most meaningful community service activity was one that I experienced in high school? I have others from college but they were not as meaningful.

Members don't see this ad.

"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."

Is this status normal, good, bad?
+1. LizzyM 72.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, they are on top of it then ,looks like many people are in that status .
Good Luck !
Yeah, scrolled through last year's thread and a lot of people who got interviews were on hold first (some got an interview like a week after). Guess I'll just hope for the best and stay optimistic.

Reactions: 1 users
Misspelled wanted as "waned" and didn't catch on my two glance overs. So that's always good

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Regarding: What is your most meaningful clinical experience, involving direct patient contact?"
I am having difficulty choosing between writing about being a scribe or about being a caregiver. (I write about being a scribe in one of the other essays, not sure if it would be overkill)
For the past 3 years I have scribed in a ED in Inglewood which serves a diverse population, including the socioeconomically disadvantaged. This has allowed me " face-to-face experience with the sick and/or injured in their homes or in a clinical setting, and [familiarity] with the role of the physician in the care of the patient and within the health care team." It has been an invaluable experience, as other authors above explained.
On the other hand, I have also been a caregiver for my disabled mother for the past 2.5 years. This, of course, has personal meaning, and more direct contact, but I am unsure whether it is an appropriate answer to the question.

Does anyone have advice on this matter?

LizzyM ~ 70. Submitted first day after opening. Checked last year's thread. It seems that most everyone who got an II previously had this status as well
I have that same message. Hopefully it does lead to an II!

LizzyM 77

Reactions: 1 user
"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."

I have this status as well. FYI It is not emailed to you, it's only on the application portal.

Anyone been rejected yet?

Wow I guess I can't expect a II if I have a LizzyM 69.

Not necessary. GW stats are more similar to your LizzyM. I feel like GW (like a lot of schools) seeks applicants with diverse experiences and not only because they have high stats. Let's not lose hope too early :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be dumb and obvious.. But should I wait for my letters (just my committee letter really since my interview was yesterday) to be received on AMCAS or just go ahead with the secondary?

This may be dumb and obvious.. But should I wait for my letters (just my committee letter really since my interview was yesterday) to be received on AMCAS or just go ahead with the secondary?

Go with the secondary! That way it is not portrayed as your laziness!

Regarding: What is your most meaningful clinical experience, involving direct patient contact?"
I am having difficulty choosing between writing about being a scribe or about being a caregiver. (I write about being a scribe in one of the other essays, not sure if it would be overkill)
For the past 3 years I have scribed in a ED in Inglewood which serves a diverse population, including the socioeconomically disadvantaged. This has allowed me " face-to-face experience with the sick and/or injured in their homes or in a clinical setting, and [familiarity] with the role of the physician in the care of the patient and within the health care team." It has been an invaluable experience, as other authors above explained.
On the other hand, I have also been a caregiver for my disabled mother for the past 2.5 years. This, of course, has personal meaning, and more direct contact, but I am unsure whether it is an appropriate answer to the question.

Does anyone have advice on this matter?

Go with the scribing experience. I don't mean to minimize the significance of caring for a disabled parent, but they're your parent, not your patient--so it doesn't answer the question.

Wow I guess I can't expect a II if I have a LizzyM 69.

I received an II last year with a LizzyM of barely 68.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it advisable to apply here if a section on the MCAT is a 124? If all my MCATs are super scored, I have above 125 in each, but I don't want to just waste money. For reference, my GPA is greater than a 3.65 and lower than a 3.85 (I'm keeping ambiguity for any future references)

I have this status as well. FYI It is not emailed to you, it's only on the application portal.

Anyone been rejected yet?
I received the same msg with a LizzyM 67. Maybe they wait and send out a wave of rejections later or silently reject?

Under my app status, it says:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

*Please note, this is your current status. It is updated on a daily basis. Your status may remain unchanged for several weeks as your application goes through a comprehensive review process.

Is this what changes?

I received the same msg with a LizzyM 67. Maybe they wait and send out a wave of rejections later or silently reject?

Hmm I don't know. Some clarity would be nice. Last years threads show a similar situation where people had this status and then got an II. The way the status is written seems like they could have rejected you if they wanted to at this point.

Go with the scribing experience. I don't mean to minimize the significance of caring for a disabled parent, but they're your parent, not your patient--so it doesn't answer the question.

I received an II last year with a LizzyM of barely 68.
Did you get accepted in regular list or were you wait listed ?

Did you get accepted in regular list or were you wait listed ?

I was accepted off the WL at two other schools, not this one, though.

GW seems to waitlist almost everyone they interview! (As opposed to rejecting them.)

I was accepted off the WL at two other schools, not this one, though.

GW seems to waitlist almost everyone they interview! (As opposed to rejecting them.)
Oh really wow, so am assuming that you were accepted here.

Got this status too... But my LizzyM is more like a 64.

So I guess shadowing doesn't count as direct patient contact? I mean you kinda get to talk to them? Lol I don't want to repeat the one I mentioned in my personal statement which was actually me in a clinical setting working with a patient but idk what else to do

Hey guys, I am an international applicant (not from the states), and I do not quite know GW Medicine program. Can you guys point out a few unique things about their programs and school? appreciate it.

Under my app status, it says:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

*Please note, this is your current status. It is updated on a daily basis. Your status may remain unchanged for several weeks as your application goes through a comprehensive review process.

Is this what changes?

+1
secondary submitted 7/5

Last year I got the hold message mid-July then was offered an interview ~ 2 days later.

Reactions: 5 users
what are you guys saying for the diversity/challenges/contribution essay? Literally I don't even know how to approach it because of the 1000 character limit

what are you guys saying for the diversity/challenges/contribution essay? Literally I don't even know how to approach it because of the 1000 character limit

Just wrote about unique perspective due to family/upbringing then skills I gained from two important ECs.

I think everyone is put on hold for re-review until interviews start being given out

Reactions: 2 users
"hold for re-review" this early seems kind of absurd. I think their definition of "hold" is different than most schools.

Or at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

Last edited:

Last edited:
+1 Hold for re-review. I applied to GW last year, and the re-review hold status can be a very mixed bag. Some people received II shortly after (within the same week or month), some received an II many months later, and others never received an II (myself included :(). Here's to hoping for a better outcome this time around!

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited: