2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What type of prep? Just the normal research of the school and program?

Yes. You better be prepared to talk about our big program that helps people in neighborhoods :whistle:.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats on acceptances!
Was wait listed - interviewed Oct. 3 :(
Does anyone know anything about HWCOM's history with wait listing and the chances of being pulled off the list and accepted? Unfortunately, I know several people who have been wait listed this cycle so it's probably quite a lengthy list but I'm still hopeful lol

Congrats on acceptances!
Was wait listed - interviewed Oct. 3 :(
Does anyone know anything about HWCOM's history with wait listing and the chances of being pulled off the list and accepted? Unfortunately, I know several people who have been wait listed this cycle so it's probably quite a lengthy list but I'm still hopeful lol

Sorry to hear that my friend! From what they told us during interview day, it depends on the year. One year they took 4 people off of the WL, another year was near 20! So it's really hard to predict. According to the MSAR, last years number was at 12. How did you feel about the interview? Did you feel that it went good/bad? Feel free to PM me if you want. I'm trying to gauge my chances post interview lol (even though I know I shouldn't be).

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday!! I was complete in August, LizzyM=69, OOS

Reactions: 2 users
I just received the diversity scholarship email, does anyone know how many students receive scholarships and how much?

Reactions: 4 users
I just received the diversity scholarship email, does anyone know how many students receive scholarships and how much?

14 MD ACCEPTANCES WITH A LIZZY M OF 64?!

You give underdogs like me hope lol. Congrats on all of those acceptances!

Reactions: 3 users
oh and anyone remember when they got out of this interview?? My flight home leaves out of MIA at 8pm on the day of my interview, and I think this should be solid, but I had one interview go til like 5pm with all the tour nonsense so I'm just being paranoid haha

oh and anyone remember when they got out of this interview?? My flight home leaves out of MIA at 8pm on the day of my interview, and I think this should be solid, but I had one interview go til like 5pm with all the tour nonsense so I'm just being paranoid haha
Around 5! Try to stay until the end if you can, this school is really great and they tie everything together in the end :)

for the thank you email for the interviewers, they said to email it to admissions to have them forward it to our interviewers, iirc can anyone confirm?

edit: btw I was stuck at secondary app completed since august and randomly got the call for an interview so don't worry too much about app status!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
for the thank you email for the interviewers, they said to email it to admissions to have them forward it to our interviewers, iirc can anyone confirm?

edit: btw I was stuck at secondary app completed since august and randomly got the call for an interview so don't worry too much about app status!

You are supposed to send it to Cristina (her business card is in the folder they gave to you during interview day). She will in turn, distribute any letters/emails/w.e to the appropriate person. DO NOT send the email directly to your interviewer.

Reactions: 1 user
You are supposed to send it to Cristina (her business card is in the folder they gave to you during interview day). She will in turn, distribute any letters/emails/w.e to the appropriate person. DO NOT send the email directly to your interviewer.
PERFECT thats exactly what i did! thanks!

Supposed to hear back next week..

I'm counting the seconds.. Any idea of what day decisions come out on? Or does it just depend on the week

I'm counting the seconds.. Any idea of what day decisions come out on? Or does it just depend on the week
Mine was on a Tuesday. The group before was on a Wednesday. And last year it seemed to go out on Tuesdays as well. So I would say Wednesday to not get your hopes up haha. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was on a Tuesday. The group before was on a Wednesday. And last year it seemed to go out on Tuesdays as well. So I would say Wednesday to not get your hopes up haha. Good luck! :)

Haha thanks I really appreciate the info as well as the advice!

These kinds of things always happen when you aren't thinking about it. Try to distract yourself and good luck!

Do you think they'll release decisions for this month's interviewees before the break? It's going to kill me if I have to wait through Christmas and New Year :arghh:

Do you think they'll release decisions for this month's interviewees before the break? It's going to kill me if I have to wait through Christmas and New Year :arghh:
For those who interviewed this past week, they told us decisions wont be released until the week of January 30th. I feel your pain, this will be a torturous couple of months.

Reactions: 3 users
Early november for me. I recall at my session they said they'd be coming out this week

Yup week of December 12th is what they told us at our interview.

Awesome. I know previous answers mentioned tuesdays and Wednesdays are when most decisions come out. Does anyone have any idea around what time? I'm counting the seconds

Awesome. I know previous answers mentioned tuesdays and Wednesdays are when most decisions come out. Does anyone have any idea around what time? I'm counting the seconds
From previous posts, it seems they make calls and send emails sometime in the afternoon. Around 2-3pm, but who knows. Good luck this week!

Anyone know when decisions from the Diversity essay scholarship come out?

Admissions committee review completed about 30 minutes ago. So anxious right now!

Hear anything yet? I've been "admissions committee review completed" for 2 hours now! I keep refreshing my email!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Nope still waiting. These last couple of hours I've checked my email/portal an egregious amount of times.

congrats! for those accepted mind sharing stats?

Accepted! MCAT=515 GPA=4.0.

I got an email and portal change, no call. Someone tell me that's ok lol

Reactions: 5 users
Got an update!

Application Status: Admissions Committee Scheduled
Last Status Date: 12/13/2016 9:50:02 PM

Interviewed on 11/21/16.

And man, they updated that at nearly 10 at night.

For those of you who just got your decisions, do you recall how long after the interview you received this update.

Got an update!

Application Status: Admissions Committee Scheduled
Last Status Date: 12/13/2016 9:50:02 PM

Interviewed on 11/21/16.

And man, they updated that at nearly 10 at night.

For those of you who just got your decisions, do you recall how long after the interview you received this update.
Mine was updated to this status almost a month after my interview. It's likely that you are one of the first interview groups for the next decision date.

Anyone think its too late to apply for the diversity scholarship? I haven't had time to write the essay and they made it sound like it had to be in the next day or something. Wish they gave some kind of guideline on the dates...

Anyone think its too late to apply for the diversity scholarship? I haven't had time to write the essay and they made it sound like it had to be in the next day or something. Wish they gave some kind of guideline on the dates...

Nooo not at all. This was in a past cycle, but I submitted my diversity scholarship app in February and got a phone call in a week or two!

II! OOS (strong FL ties), complete mid-late August, stats below.

Reactions: 7 users
1 on 1 interview. You will have two interviews 30 min each. 15 min break in between interviews. None of the interviewers know your GPA or MCAT. As I said before, interviews should be relaxed and conversational. Don't expect anything crazy.
I'm pretty sure they do know your stats because they can access your amcas