2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Buyer beware...the culture at Emory is extremely abusive. As a former med student here, I have not heard of a program with a more toxic culture. The attendings are horrible. The residents are overworked, bitter, and cruel. The other medical students are extremely cutthroat.

Haven't heard much about the physicians there, but the medical students part I have heard pretty often. Probably best to talk to a lot of students there and try to get an honest appraisal of the culture. People with grievances don't typically attend admissions events and talk to applicants, so you don't hear their perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Buyer beware...the culture at Emory is extremely abusive. As a former med student here, I have not heard of a program with a more toxic culture. The attendings are horrible. The residents are overworked, bitter, and cruel. The other medical students are extremely cutthroat.

I matched at a very good program in my chosen specialty, but was so miserable for all four years of medical school that I question whether it was worth the sacrifice in quality of life. In talking with other applicants on the interview trail, I have not heard of a program that treats their medical students worse than Emory.

Truly a horrific place to train. Get out while there is still time.

I can't tell you that your subjective personal experience is wrong, just that it's completely different from mine as a current student. Like, there's not a single sentence in there that I find any truth in, or was even aware that others thought. I mean, those are such blanket-terrible statements about every single level of the program that I can't help but wonder if you have some specific bone to pick.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to distract from the drama, but does anybody know of any waitlist movement happening this early on so far?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, So its extremely hard to believe no one has been pulled off the waitlist. does anyone have updates or any idea?

Hey, So its extremely hard to believe no one has been pulled off the waitlist. does anyone have updates or any idea?

On the yellow sheet in the interview packet it says that June-July 23 will be the time for people to be pulled from the alternate pool.

Does Emory med school give out merit scholarships.

has anyone gotten in off the alternate list?? it's been a while :^(

Reactions: 1 user

I matched at a very good program in my chosen specialty, but was so miserable for all four years of medical school that I question whether it was worth the sacrifice in quality of life. In talking with other applicants on the interview trail, I have not heard of a program that treats their medical students worse than Emory.

Truly a horrific place to train. Get out while there is still time.

Would really need proof you were a student

Wondering this too! Should someone call?
gyngyn said in the pre-allo not accepted yet thread that they haven't been privy to any waitlist movement at Emory, but someone could still call the Admissions Office and see what they say

Reactions: 1 user
Any news about wait list movement ? It's probably not a good sign if there hasn't been anything yet

Reactions: 3 users
Posting on this thread (in addition to the current cycle's one) because some of you may have gone through the same experience...

Anyone accidentally misread the LOR section on the MSAR and submit too many letters? Would you recommend contacting admissions to apologize?

Can anyone who previously interviewed here give a couple of tips/run-down of the interview day? (I recently received an invite for the 2017-2018 cycle!) Are both interviews open file? Thanks!