2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After tons of financial aid emails, the rejection finally comes.
Rejected pre-II.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, anyone else not get rejected pre-II? I was under the impression all their rejections came out at once.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Just got mine.

Last edited:
Just got rejection pre-II. Weird they split it up
Blaming myself here as I called to confirm they completed interview season. And though I stressed that she didn't need to m, she checked my file to find that they "missed a cohort" when "sending updates" yesterday.

Blaming myself here as I called to confirm they completed interview season. And though I stressed that she didn't need to m, she checked my file to find that they "missed a cohort" when "sending updates" yesterday.

Good to know that I'm so good that they forgot to reject me.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope one of you guys gets it because this is a great school. I've worked at Grady for Emory SoM for four years and have known several med students here if anyone has questions about either place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope one of you guys gets it because this is a great school. I've worked at Grady for Emory SoM for four years and have known several med students here if anyone has questions about either place.

Haha you're on both my emory and MCG pages So congrats on Yale!! good luck to you!

Hey, so, I've read on the site that Emory does a drug test. Does anyone know when it is (orientation or just before clerkships) and what kind of test (urine or saliva)? I just need to know for science and research purposes and stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so, I've read on the site that Emory does a drug test. Does anyone know when it is (orientation or just before clerkships) and what kind of test (urine or saliva)? I just need to know for science and research purposes and stuff.

Drug test for my employment at Emory SoM was urine, and I imagine they will require it early because you will need Emory and Grady hospital badges (which require drug tests) for your week on the wards at the beginning of school.

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students have any specifics on when financial aid decisions come out if we got the info by their initial deadline date? The website just says "April." Also, I know these things are highly case-by-case, but any feedback on how your financial aid package at Emory compared to other schools would be much appreciated!

Was anyone contacted today about the Woodruff Fellowship?

So if we interviewed and still haven't heard back, can we assume we're waitlisted?

Does anyone know when second look weekend is?

Does Emory reject post-II? Other threads seem inconclusive.

Emory doesn't reject anyone (post-interview and pre-interview) until the very end of the cycle.

The admission offer tab nearly killed me this morning! So excited!

When does Emory notify of being put on the waitlist? Idk why I assumed March?

When are tests for first year students...Mondays or Fridays? Every week or every few weeks?

When are tests for first year students...Mondays or Fridays? Every week or every few weeks?
Tests are almost always Fridays, with just a couple (literally 2 I think) on Mondays. Every week or every other week during Healthy Human (until Thanksgiving), then every 3-5 weeks during Human Disease (rest of the year).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think I asked this earlier but didn't get a reply. I got my financial aid information in as soon as possible, so I'm wondering when decisions typically come out for those that got their info in sooner rather than later. The financial aid timeline on the website just says "April." I'm trying to go into second looks with all the cards out on the table, so hopefully it'll be the beginning of April!

A form in the interview day folder said waitlist will be notified by Mar 31.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I asked this earlier but didn't get a reply. I got my financial aid information in as soon as possible, so I'm wondering when decisions typically come out for those that got their info in sooner rather than later. The financial aid timeline on the website just says "April." I'm trying to go into second looks with all the cards out on the table, so hopefully it'll be the beginning of April!

Somebody from the financial aid office said that financial aid letters should be mailed around the first of April if financial aid information was submitted on time. I think the initial deadline for financial aid info was sometime in the beginning of March?

I think people who submitted later will receive their info a bit later in April, closer to the April 30th decision deadline. I remember that part from my interview in January.

Did anyone who had an II at Emory not receive alternate status?

also alternate status
for the alternate essay, it says the limit is 1000 words, but they don't actually expect us to write that much, right?

Hmm, the March Updates email just said we will receive an email notification...I didn't receive any notification though, I just looked on April 1. So I'm not 100% sure that it is finalized!

I got an email 4/2 evening that looked identical to the ones we've been getting before about "missing information" in my financial aid file, but when I went to look it said that all I was missing was the acceptance of my financial aid award. Weird way of telling us our awards are in OPUS but I'm not complaining!

Does anyone know if the "Eligibility and Merit" scholarships apply to all four years? Or just M1?

Buyer beware...the culture at Emory is extremely abusive. As a former med student here, I have not heard of a program with a more toxic culture. The attendings are horrible. The residents are overworked, bitter, and cruel. The other medical students are extremely cutthroat.

I matched at a very good program in my chosen specialty, but was so miserable for all four years of medical school that I question whether it was worth the sacrifice in quality of life. In talking with other applicants on the interview trail, I have not heard of a program that treats their medical students worse than Emory.

Truly a horrific place to train. Get out while there is still time.

Buyer beware...the culture at Emory is extremely abusive. As a former med student here, I have not heard of a program with a more toxic culture. The attendings are horrible. The residents are overworked, bitter, and cruel. The other medical students are extremely cutthroat.

I matched at a very good program in my chosen specialty, but was so miserable for all four years of medical school that I question whether it was worth the sacrifice in quality of life. In talking with other applicants on the interview trail, I have not heard of a program that treats their medical students worse than Emory.

This is really different from what ive heard from friends at emory med. Could you please elaborate on how emory treats their med students poorly? Aside from tired/mean residents/attendings and a competitive environment that I would expect at any med school, what about emory was so horrible for you?

I suspect futureradres12345 is a corner case. People can have a miserable experience at any institution, and while it is unfortunate that he or she had a bad time, it is not representative of the majority's experience.

I'd have to agree with Wagonwheel23 and echo3636, these comments are so far from everything else I've heard that I can't really be convinced this is a mainstream experience. I'm sure that there are some awful attendings--as there probably are everywhere--that did make this user's experience bad, but it might be context specific. futureandres12345, can you elaborate on what specifically about these experiences were so awful for you? Was is your experience with a particular attending? Did you speak up about these experiences with administration?

Could we get some proof that you actually went to the school? I'm sorry to hear if your experience really was that bad, but this could just as easily be someone on the wait list hoping to bump up a few spots, or even just a complete troll.