2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear!

That said, as a re-applicant, I can say that a timely (pre-secondary) rejection sounds much kinder than spending more money and time to complete a secondary to wait 8 months for a silent rejection. Obviously not a great feeling, but languishing for months with no word, getting placed on ill-defined 'hold' lists, etc is such a friggin bummer. I really wish more schools did a legitimate screen so that we could save our secondary money and essay writing time.

There's a lot of cycle left. Keep your heads up!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Just got a secondary after unfollowing this thread. 512 MCAT but pretty low science GPA.

FYI for anyone waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear!

That said, as a re-applicant, I can say that a timely (pre-secondary) rejection sounds much kinder than spending more money and time to complete a secondary to wait 8 months for a silent rejection. Obviously not a great feeling, but languishing for months with no word, getting placed on ill-defined 'hold' lists, etc is such a friggin bummer. I really wish more schools did a legitimate screen so that we could save our secondary money and essay writing time.

There's a lot of cycle left. Keep your heads up!
Agreed, but I just wish they would have saved me the AMCAS primary $$$. But yeah glad to get the rejection out of the way.

Reactions: 1 user
for those of you who received the secondary or a rejection, how many days after you were verified did you receive it?

for those of you who received the secondary or a rejection, how many days after you were verified did you receive it?

11 days from when AMCAS transmitted until secondary received. Verified on the 16th, so 19 days from verification.

Last edited:

Processed/Verified on 6/14. Secondary received today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! for the "Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now" question, do you think it would be a good idea to mention what kind of specialty/ field you would imagine yourself working in? Not sure if we should just stick to healthcare settings

Hey guys! for the "Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now" question, do you think it would be a good idea to mention what kind of specialty/ field you would imagine yourself working in? Not sure if we should just stick to healthcare settings

I did. Just make sure to emphasize your openmindedness!

Got a request for all my IS documents.

Me too, then when I sent them they told me I am not considered IS to them because I went to undergrad OOS and worked/payed taxes in that state... Very frustrating because all of my documents/ID/registration/voting reg. are from VA.

Me too, then when I sent them they told me I am not considered IS to them because I went to undergrad OOS and worked/payed taxes in that state... Very frustrating because all of my documents/ID/registration/voting reg. are from VA.

Ugh. I haven't heard anything yet, so I hope that's a good thing.

Update - got the complete email, so I guess that means they accepted my documents for IS.

Last edited:
Rejected pre-secondary. I'm OOS though and figured as much. High MCAT/Lower GPA.

Rejected pre-secondary. OOS, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.3, MCAT 506

It doesn't seem like their screen is a definitive one. Because I have no idea why I got a secondary with my OOS stats.

They must be making it up as they go.

Edit: Unless as stated before they're only talking about cGPA and not sGPA.

Got a secondary! 3.6cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 510 MCAT.

ouch. 3.6 gpa 3.5 science 506 mcat rejected pre secondary :(

secondary! @mcatjelly in your opinion and experience of EVMS, do they have a long application season? I am retaking the mcat next friday and plan to write secondaries while I wait for my score...I know my app will be reviewed once my secondary is submitted AND my score is in, meaning I'll be complete here around August 22...I have heard that this is average aka not early but not late either! Just wanted to hear your opinion or if you know of others in your class who were complete at diff times etc

secondary! @mcatjelly in your opinion and experience of EVMS, do they have a long application season? I am retaking the mcat next friday and plan to write secondaries while I wait for my score...I know my app will be reviewed once my secondary is submitted AND my score is in, meaning I'll be complete here around August 22...I have heard that this is average aka not early but not late either! Just wanted to hear your opinion or if you know of others in your class who were complete at diff times etc

Lol, you're talking to someone who was complete mid-September at this school! And I received my II in October. Being complete late August is still closer to being early than being "on time," so I wouldn't be concerned.

They do have a fairly long application season... I believe they were interviewing through the first week of March IIRC. Unfortunately I can't speak to others' completion times, sorry.

@mcatjelly haha I apologize for seeming like "just another pre med" who is over worrying! But thank you for the response as it does help me! And of course, congrats again!

Secondary Received OOS 3.93 GPA 504 MCAT

Although they "recommend I retake the MCAT to remain competitive" lol

Safe to say I won't be giving this school any secondary $ with that email. Don't know when EVMS decided they were suddenly a top 20 school

Reactions: 3 users

Safe to say I won't be giving this school any secondary $ with that email. Don't know when EVMS decided they were suddenly a top 20 school

Did they just email you? I'm still waiting to hear back from them :(

I mean, your MCAT is about a 28 which is very low for just about every MD program.

Piggybacking on mcatjelly's response, EVMS marked my app complete (secondary done + fee paid) in late July but I didn't get an interview invite until early November so they do not necessarily review on a strict rolling/first complete, first served basis. By the end of the day, the quality of your app/essays matters a lot more than when you actually get it done. Some early apps may get re-reviewed at a later time while "late" apps may be viewed favorably during the first review. Obviously there are advantages to getting your app complete early but it's by no means a death sentence if you're complete later than others.

Reactions: 2 users
@rukia013 well said! I appreciate the response...just gotta crush my test next week haha thank you all for the timely and informative responses! Means a lot!

Just to confirm, there are 5 secondary questions? not sure if the first is just a header

Just submitted my application! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Received a secondary but have a MCAT of 506.. should i be submitting?

Has anyone else submitted the secondary and paid the fee and not yet been notified they're complete? I submitted+paid on 7/11......

I submitted on 7/10 but I have not received any sort of confirmation that it was received.

Should I expect one or is the first correspondence the supplemental invite?

I submitted on 7/10 but I have not received any sort of confirmation that it was received.

Should I expect one or is the first correspondence the supplemental invite?

My first communication was the supplemental invite!