2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
Just got off the phone with EVMS. For both IS and OOS, they screen at 27 MCAT/503 as a MINIMUM, though to be competitive, they want 505-507. I'm not sure how that applies for OOS. OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS

I feel like they're saying different stuff. When I called they said OOS was 3.45 science and 508 screen. They did say there would be a little leeway though. Maybe they just combine both the MCAT and gpa and convert it to a Lizzy M score or something

Members don't see this ad.

do you know if this is for ugrad bcpm or grad bcpm as well for those who have a graduate degree?

They said they have a special formula that they would not disclose to me by how they view ugrad + grad gpas. I did post-bacc so this was pretty relevant to me. I had a 3.2 ug and 3.8 post-bacc gpa and she said to definitely apply. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
They said they have a special formula that they would not disclose to me by how they view ugrad + grad gpas. I did post-bacc so this was pretty relevant to me. I had a 3.2 ug and 3.8 post-bacc gpa and she said to definitely apply. Hope this helps.

I have a feeling you were in my CERT class :highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my secondary this morning.

IS, uGPA: 3.69, sGPA: 3.75, MCAT 518

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
wait--- i thought the oos screen only applied to mcat? at least according to the person who called?

Well I just got a secondary invite, OOS 3.5 and 507 so who knows what the screen is. I do have an exceptional amount of community service and medical experience though.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I just got a secondary invite, OOS 3.5 and 507 so who knows what the screen is. I do have an exceptional amount of community service and medical experience though.

when did you get verified?

I am OOS have a 504 and a 3.92 and haven't received a secondary.

Just got a secondary invite. OOS. 3.3 sGPA. 3.5 cGPA. 31 MCAT.

I'm guessing based on these posts that the MCAT and GPA are combined into a score for screening. Either way, it's out of our hands. Good luck to all!

Yeah the way they screen seems pretty arbitrary. I have a 3.2 sGPA and a >510 MCAT and got a secondary today. OOS.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received.
OOS, 514 MCAT, 3.19 sGPA, 3.88 cGPA
Perhaps the sGPA cutoff, if any, is lenient.

A friend of mine, OOS with a 505 said he got an email suggesting he retake the MCAT in order to receive a secondary application. I have no idea what his grades were though.

A friend of mine, OOS with a 505 said he got an email suggesting he retake the MCAT in order to receive a secondary application. I have no idea what his grades were though.
OOS 506 MCAT. 3.79 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA. Received a secondary, but they highly suggest I retake the MCAT to "stay" competitive. Also said if I am not going to take the MCAT again, I have to let them know via email before I submit the secondary. I'm going to pass on this school.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS 506 MCAT. 3.79 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA. Received a secondary, but they highly suggest I retake the MCAT to "stay" competitive. Also said if I am not going to take the MCAT again, I have to let them know via email before I submit the secondary. I'm going to pass on this school.
I guess now we know the cuttoff is a 507

I have to say that these have been my favorite secondary prompts where I am really able to say what I have wanted to say all along.

Received secondary. OOS with c/sGPA <3.5 but mcat is over 90th percentile. Guess they do use a LizzyM of sorts.

Secondary Received! - IS, 3.58 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA, 509 MCAT

Secondary received. OOS, 3.95 GPA, 516 MCAT

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Well don't qualify for secondary...OOS LizzyM ~70

Edit: sorry meant to post this on East Tennessee...

Last edited:
Just received an OOS secondary! Good luck everyone!

Just received a secondary as well. OOS. Thought I wouldn't get one since my GPA was below the "cutoff" but I guess my MCAT made up for it.

Really? I'm OOS and have a LizzyM<65 and I got one.

What's your breakdown? I don't think the screen is based off lizzyM, more off MCAT. I have a 3.93 but a 504. 67 lizzyM but probably won't get a secondary it seems from the rest of these posts even with my gpa

What's your breakdown? I don't think the screen is based off LizzyM, more off MCAT. I have a 3.93 but a 504. 67 lizzyM but probably won't get a secondary it seems from the rest of these posts even with my gpa
sGPA and cGPA are both just below 3.5 and a 507 with 126/128/127/126

If anyone has any questions about EVMS secondaries or interviews, please feel free to ask! I was accepted off the waitlist mid-April and will be matriculating here in a few weeks. :)

If anyone has any questions about EVMS secondaries or interviews, please feel free to ask! I was accepted off the waitlist mid-April and will be matriculating here in a few weeks. :)
why did you choose EVMS over your other choices?

why did you choose EVMS over your other choices?

Ah, to clarify, EVMS was my first acceptance. I was also accepted off Drexel's waitlist two weeks later and declined mostly because of the difference in tuition/COA (OOS and private).

That being said, I'm also on WLs at GW and VCU and would have stuck with with EVMS regardless of potential acceptances at those schools. In general, I found the strong community/patient-oriented emphasis of EVMS to be much more genuine than other schools and I love that the community is so supportive of the existence of EVMS. I'm also not a huge fan of research and there's no requirement for that here, so that's cool. And I just had really good vibes when I interviewed. Students were super nice when I toured and didn't seem over-the-top stressed.

Reactions: 4 users
@mcatjelly what are the interviews like?! laid back or more tense haha

Haha, they were interesting. They have panel interviews so you're in a study room for 30-45 minutes with 1 clinician, 1 researcher, and 1 student, though sometimes it's 2 clinicians and 1 student. And some of my peers were only interviewed by 2 people. One of the 2/3 will also be a member of the adcom and you don't know who it is, but you can figure it out fairly quickly.

I interviewed with 1 psychiatrist, 1 pediatrician, and 1 second year student, and the psychiatrist was cracking jokes the whole time so it was really just a fun conversation that happened to center around me and my application. :) I thought I'd be intimidated by the 3:1 ratio and I did have to make an effort to give everyone--not just the obvious adcom--equal attention, but again, I had a good time. The only moments that had a modicum of stress were when the psychiatrist asked me if my mom, because she is a physician, was absent when I was growing up, when I was asked to discuss my opinions on the ACA and the US healthcare system as a whole, and when I was given a very random ethical scenario.

Interviews were actually my favorite part of the application season. It's fun to tour the schools and meet the people you're interviewing with!

(Side edit: my interview actually only lasted 20-25 minutes. One of the other girls waiting was "kind" enough to point this out, but it doesn't mean anything, so don't freak!)

@mcatjelly haha oh wow I appreciate such an informative answer! Having been on multiple med school interviews, did you notice a lot of healthcare questions? I was always worried about how "up to date" I should be/need to be about healthcare in america and the issues surrounding it

@mcatjelly haha oh wow I appreciate such an informative answer! Having been on multiple med school interviews, did you notice a lot of healthcare questions? I was always worried about how "up to date" I should be/need to be about healthcare in america and the issues surrounding it

I'd say regardless of being prepared for an interview, you should have a basic understanding of American health care, as well as knowledge of the current issues for both physicians and patients. I'm pretty sure that's why they ask these questions in interviews is because they want to see if you understand the challenges you'll face as a doc.

Reactions: 3 users

I didn't, actually. EVMS was the only school that asked me about healthcare, which is weird, since I've heard that isn't a universal experience.

You absolutely want to be able to give an informed opinion of ACA and to be able to intelligently discuss current issues in healthcare. You don't need to know the ins and outs of everything, you just need an overall awareness of them.

I will also be matriculating this fall and I second everything that @mcatjelly has said so far regarding interviews at EVMS and interviews in general.

In addition, here are a few resources that I used when preparing for my interviews. I also highly recommend checking out the interview feedback section here on SDN!

ACA 101: https://mic.com/articles/75475/heal...-obamacare-you-ve-been-looking-for#.GbKXqbtI5
Common/not-so-common interview questions and advice on how to answer them: http://www.futuredoctor.net/questions_and_answers1.shtml // http://www.studentdoc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1951
Bioethics Topics (aka familiarizing yourself with common ethics scenarios): https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/index.html

Reactions: 9 users
They really screen at 508? I'm hesitant to apply now since my scores barely above that. Mayo screens at 508, this seems a bit extreme for EVMS
what screen are you talking about? Is this for interviews?

Hi everyone,
Just got off the phone with EVMS. For both IS and OOS, they screen at 27 MCAT/503 as a MINIMUM, though to be competitive, they want 505-507. I'm not sure how that applies for OOS. OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS
so they will accept a 503 and above? Haven't received a secondary from them though.

Just got a rejection email. Never received a secondary. Assuming got screened out with my 504 MCAT

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected pre-secondary.

IS, 3.3 uGPA, 4.0SMP, 28 mCAT, impressive EC's...

Didn't think I was applying Ivy