2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten an email saying their application is complete? I have green checkmarks beside everything, but it said they would send an email when the application was complete.
Yep. Submitted 7/10 and received the "complete" email on 7/13.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten an email saying their application is complete? I have green checkmarks beside everything, but it said they would send an email when the application was complete.
Yes, I received an email saying, "We are pleased to inform you that your application to Drexel University College of Medicine is now complete." On the 'STATUS' page, it says "Your application is ready." But it doesn't say anything about it being reviewed or anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who uploaded a CV, does it show up if you click on the uploaded document? Whenever I click on mine, it says "document not found"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called them yesterday because I never got an email despite having all green check marks, they said it was weird I didn't get it but my file was complete and not to worry about it

Reactions: 1 user
"Please add colleges, graduate, or professional schools that you are currently attending but are not listed on your AMCAS application."

Confused... do we leave this blank if we already have our undergrad listed?

"Please add colleges, graduate, or professional schools that you are currently attending but are not listed on your AMCAS application."

Yep. If the colleges on AMCAS are the only ones you went to, leave this section blank.

Reactions: 1 users

I was super confused by this too-- you're not alone!:happy: I did what @yellowbottlesippin did as well!

never got a complete email but the portal says my app is complete :pompous:

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but it says they don't take the January MCAT on the Academic history page..
I'm assuming this means the upcoming January MCAT right? Not this past January?

I can't actually tell if that was a serious question....

Do we have to upload a CV and resume?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does it say this?
It says you can on the left side menu when you go under the status menu. I'm going to assume that this is one of the 3 updates that you are allowed for this application cycle. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I knew for a fact I won't update anymore or if it happened to be an awesome CV.

I basically copy-pasted my resume into the application under academic history. I have a decent sized resume being a non trad, but it fits fine.

For the "schools not listed on Amcas"

What am I supposed to do for the "Self Reported GPA" section if the class has not ended yet? It will only accept numbers so I can't put N/A. Should I put 4.0 and predict I'll get an A?

Technically the class starts 8/22/2016...so does that mean I'm not even "Attending" it yet despite being enrolled?

For the "schools not listed on Amcas"

What am I supposed to do for the "Self Reported GPA" section if the class has not ended yet? It will only accept numbers so I can't put N/A. Should I put 4.0 and predict I'll get an A?

Technically the class starts 8/22/2016...so does that mean I'm not even "Attending" it yet despite being enrolled?
That isn't considered a finished class (or a started one for that matter). That section is for any class you may have omitted on your AMCAS that you have finished. For instance, if you forgot to list a transcript for a school you took a summer class at a CC for or the like. If you haven't finished it, don't list it.

Self-reported GPA is meant to reflect an actual class final grade averaged into your GPA.

If you really want to let them know you will be taking the class, tell them in the "What's important to know about you?" section.

Does anyone have trouble submitting the secondary? I did not add any schools in the Academic History section so that part of my secondary says incomplete. However, I noticed some people on this thread were still able to submit the secondary? I tried to submit it but I can't check the certification checkbox at the end. When I hover my mouse over the box, I can't check it. :/

Does anyone have trouble submitting the secondary? I did not add any schools in the Academic History section so that part of my secondary says incomplete. However, I noticed some people on this thread were still able to submit the secondary? I tried to submit it but I can't check the certification checkbox at the end. When I hover my mouse over the box, I can't check it. :/
I had to switch to another browser. I remember that happening to me as well.

Does anybody know anything about the new curriculum. I know what is listed on the website but is it like block scheduling format now?

Right now? It depends on what curriculum you're in. The one track follows a block schedule much closer.

Also, current MS1 here, feel free to shoot me any questions :)

Also, current MS1 here, feel free to shoot me any questions :)

1. When should we start looking for apartments, ideally? What are the best neighborhoods in your opinion?
2. What kind of ipad did you end up getting and do you like it? Would you recommend getting an iphone or android for use on campus?

Waiting_for_Lunch_Funny_Meme.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
I'm banging my head against the wall. It turns out I clicked that I was going to take a future MCAT on AMCAS back in June. I decided not to retake the test, but forgot to update Drexel of that. My status says that they are waiting for that score before reviewing my application. Do you think this will hurt me? I submitted July 14th and just sent an email update to them today.

I'm banging my head against the wall. It turns out I clicked that I was going to take a future MCAT on AMCAS back in June. I decided not to retake the test, but forgot to update Drexel of that. My status says that they are waiting for that score before reviewing my application. Do you think this will hurt me? I submitted July 14th and just sent an email update to them today.
You may as well pack your bags now and head out on a four year trip to a third world country.

Shoot them an email. You'll live to fight another day. Best of luck.

PS - I would leave out the phrase, "I forgot", as forgetting implies lack of care.

Reactions: 2 users
When do interview invites go out?

1. When should we start looking for apartments, ideally? What are the best neighborhoods in your opinion?
2. What kind of ipad did you end up getting and do you like it? Would you recommend getting an iphone or android for use on campus?

DUCOM is located in the East Falls section of Philadelphia and that is where most students seem to live (there's tons of options). A lot live in center city as well and DUCOM provides a free shuttle to Drexel students with their ID. However, do NOT live in Germantown. Just don't.

But start looking at apartments sooner rather than later just to get an idea of where there is to live, possibly find a roommate, etc. Some complexes fill up fast so you also need to keep an eye on that. The "major" ones in East Falls (Charter Court, Alden Park, Carlton Park, Falls Village..) are all within walking distance of the school, which is nice.

Drexel requires every single student to have an ipad and there's no way around that. I ended up with the iPad Pro 9.7" display with 128GB of memory and I love it, actually. As far as a phone, I have an iphone but it honestly does not matter as the campus is a major cellular deadzone. However, you can use imessage on the wifi so maybe that'll suit you better?

Thank god. First II of the season!
Undergrad senior here graduating in March. LizzyM score under 70, lots of work experience, a few serious local community service projects, intern at CHOP currently along with normal clinical exposures, 6mo research at DUCOM. white female.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Thank god. First II of the season. Undergrad senior here graduating in March.
LizzyM score under 70, lots of work experience, a few serious local community service projects, intern at CHOP currently along with normal clinical exposures. white female.

Good luck everyone!

when were u complete

LizzyM score under 70, lots of work experience, a few serious local community service projects, intern at CHOP currently along with normal clinical exposures. white female.

Good luck everyone!
CONGRATS

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! Looks like the first II to the school from SDN. I hope to receive similar news soon

How white?

Just kidding. But I would not be surprised, based on the incessant "urm???" screeches found on these threads, that such a question would become commonplace. Congratulations!!!

While I agree with you that the URM question is often asked, I don't think it's asked any more than "stats?" "is/oos?" or "extra-curriculars?".

People should certainly not be immediately judging on the URM status because of other factors, but it is a fair question to ask in assessing a full profile since it is a factor used in the decision process.

And congrats to @ithinkineedglasses ! My question would not at all be 'how white' but rather if you would mind sharing the MCAT/GPA split, since each school leans toward giving more weight to one over the other.

Notice I said joke...But more black men applied to medical school in 1978 than in 2014, so, really, it doesn't mean squat since it is such a small percentage (SDN makes it seem like all minorities automatically gain acceptance to medical school and that they dominate over all others admitted. Lastly, just because someone is admitted with low stats doesn't mean that they are a URM).

Anyways, I would like to know this too, since if your MCAT/GPA split is close to mine, I should be receiving an interview invite as well.

That is definitely not an accurate statement.

Elaborate?

3.6/516 research heavy, no shadowing, non-trad, army veteran

3.6/516 service heavy, lots of clinical hours, non-science major

They have the same split, but will fulfill missions of different schools, and will have different LORs, and one of them may have an incredible personal statement. There are so many factors that can come into play and determine an interview invite in spite of an identical split.

I agree. Again...sarcasm. My numbers are nowhere near as sexy and I have II's due to other reasons. Ok then...
Lmao ok I totally got all the sarcasm but it's definitely not being received here...tough crowd!!!!

Lmao ok I totally got all the sarcasm but it's definitely not being received here...tough crowd!!!!

SDN is full of people that are misinformed, and often because advisors tell them only the MCAT and GPA matter (apart from some box checking).

That's what it's here for, to help those that may not understand the adcom selection process. SDN doesn't either, but it sheds more light than the majority of advisors. That's why I'm here at least. I'm actually used to seeing people on here and real life consider MCAT and GPA the only important factors, which is maybe why I jumped the gun haha

I was simply trying to imply that asking URM, GPA, MCAT, etc. is all pointless, as it tells us nothing about our own lives and applications. It simply helps others to feel better about their chances.

You're just acting as if those things do not matter at all. I asked about the split because we were given many other factors. In trying to make a holistic assessment you must look at all factors. I was not trying to start a fight or debate about anything... Sorry people. I did not mean to offend anyone. Please read my original post and questions objectively and keep in mind I was not trying to lead on to anything else.

They matter to an extent...but there are just too many other variables. Once you hit a certain threshold, it doesn't matter. There are ORM's on this site with LizzyM's in the low 60's with more II's than those in the high 70's. This process is many things...predictable is not one of them.

I agree that many other factors matter. Once again, I was only asking for this specifically because the OP had stated many facets of the application. I just wanted to know a little more info and was not suggesting that only those two numbers meant everything in an application.

To elaborate for clarity: If a medical school requests more information concerning one experience, it does not mean they are only considering that experience. They just want to fill in more info in that section and review the whole picture.

I agree that many other factors matter. Once again, I was only asking for this specifically because the OP had stated many facets of the application. I just wanted to know a little more info and was not suggesting that only those two numbers meant everything in an application.

To elaborate for clarity: If a medical school requests more information concerning one experience, it does not mean they are only considering that experience. They just want to fill in more info in that section and review the whole picture.
Ok, so we all agree!

I love all of you. I will dance at your weddings and/or say something nice at your funerals.