2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That question after it asks "If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation."

I graduated last month, and am taking a gap year during this application cycle, so I'm still a little unsure of how to proceed considering the info you provided from the admissions office.

You could just say that you graduated a month ago and perhaps even add plans for the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I just updated on my summer internship which I couldn't put on the primary cause I hadn't started yet.

This is the first secondary that I did not use the optional essay component.

The reason I didn't is because it states to share something about yourself that isn't somewhere else in your app... I kinda feel like a "Why Drexel" isn't appropriate here because it's not really something about myself? Idk that was my take on it, but I'll admit I went back and forth for a few hours haha. Other schools have framed their optional questions more like... Is there anything else you want to say? Just my 2 cents!

Thank you both ! I've been debating whether or not to do it since yesterday, I ended up writing a small essay that basically turned into an extension of diversity and a little bit of "why Drexel" lol. Hope it flies haha

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both ! I've been debating whether or not to do it since yesterday, I ended up writing a small essay that basically turned into an extension of diversity and a little bit of "why Drexel" lol. Hope it flies haha

Honestly, I bet that's great. It is so hard to determine to write something or not, that I usually write something just so I won't regret it lol... I felt like a rebel with this one hitting "submit" with something blank! :eek: haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard of most people leaving it blank...

Hi everyone, under the "application status," the application category "Letter of References" is marked as incomplete. I though the school will receive letters as part of my AMCAS application?

thanks

Hi everyone, under the "application status," the application category "Letter of References" is marked as incomplete. I though the school will receive letters as part of my AMCAS application?

thanks

It takes them a few days to update it after you submit the secondary

Hi I was wondering how people were approaching the first essay question. My instinct was to consider it as another diversity essay.

Thanks!

Hi I was wondering how people were approaching the first essay question. My instinct was to consider it as another diversity essay.

Thanks!

Yup, that's how I approached it. Wrote how my specific skill set and experiences will enhance the school.

That question after it asks "If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation."

I graduated last month, and am taking a gap year during this application cycle, so I'm still a little unsure of how to proceed considering the info you provided from the admissions office.

Same. My idea was to take about my gap year activity in the Optional essay prompt, although there is a minor caveat for me since I made a very brief mention of it in another part of my primary, along the lines of "and related to this EC activity is another one that will fill my next year." But since I didn't elaborate on it, I think I'll take the chance to do so with this question.

I received email this morning that my application is now complete! Anyone know how long it takes to hear about interview?

I received email this morning that my application is now complete! Anyone know how long it takes to hear about interview?

Hmm . I still haven't received a complete email.. even though they received everything on the checklist last week... weird

Hmm . I still haven't received a complete email.. even though they received everything on the checklist last week... weird

When I emailed them (07/08) they said they were having some technical difficulties and fixing them as they go so there may just be some delay. Make sure all the checklist is checked though because I had everything in and not everything was checked on their status page.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I emailed them (07/08) they said they were having some technical difficulties and fixing them as they go so there may just be some delay. Make sure all the checklist is checked though because I had everything in and not everything was checked on their status page.

Yup, I have everything checked on the checklist. Is it worth calling them? Or should I just wait it out?

Mine says my application is complete (and has been for a while) on the status check page but I never got a complete email either. I wouldn't worry about it though as long as it says you are complete and everything is checked off on the list online!

Yup, I have everything checked on the checklist. Is it worth calling them? Or should I just wait it out?

If it were me I would just send an email requesting confirmation that they received all of your materials for a completed application packet. Never hurts to be thorough.

Mine says my application is complete (and has been for a while) on the status check page but I never got a complete email either. I wouldn't worry about it though as long as it says you are complete and everything is checked off on the list online!

If it were me I would just send an email requesting confirmation that they received all of your materials for a completed application packet. Never hurts to be thorough.

Just gave them a call. So yeah, they said they realize it's been an issue and to just give it a few days. If I don't receive a completion email by the end of the week, to give them a call back to follow up. @al22al22 if you have been waiting for a while, you should also follow up in a few days just in case

I was complete end of August and received an II mid-November!

I used it to talk about diversity, etc.

Was your essay on background/activities/hobbies that you've never mentioned in the primary? Because I want to expand upon one of my hobbies I briefly described in the primary but I'm unsure of how strict they are on the "something not addressed in your application" part...

Was your essay on background/activities/hobbies that you've never mentioned in the primary? Because I want to expand upon one of my hobbies I briefly described in the primary but I'm unsure of how strict they are on the "something not addressed in your application" part...

I talked about my experiences as an immigrant and how that ties in to wanting to work with the underserved, etc. You can use this space to talk about why you would want to attend Drexel and how the school's mission, curriculum, focus, etc. ties into your interests/goals.

If you have a truly unique hobby that you are really passionate about, you can write about it, but I feel that other topics would be more impactful if your hobbies are somewhat conventional.

So my MCAT is showing as incomplete, even after triple checking my app. I called Drexel and they said it's just an error and they do have my MCAT score. they said it should change the status eventually. Just letting everyone know, in case someone has the same issue.

Received secondary complete email today! Now all that's left to do is wait.... :xf:

Is anyone else having problems with the website? I have been trying to access the secondary (and have done so before) for the last few hours to no avail. I've tried multiple browsers & computers. Any ideas?

How many letters did everyone send in? The requirement is 3 if you're not using a committee letter, but MSAR says 7 max. I can't find anywhere on the admissions website that mentions a maximum.

*Edit* nevermind, found more info in the FAQ section

I'm curious about how people dealt with the "enrich the community" essay. Personally, it reads as a "Why Drexel"/"how do you fit in at Drexel" essay with perhaps a slight diversity undertone.

I'm curious about how people dealt with the "enrich the community" essay. Personally, it reads as a "Why Drexel"/"how do you fit in at Drexel" essay with perhaps a slight diversity undertone.
"Enrich" and "contribute" are telling indicators of a diversity prompt, which was how I went about it. However, you brought up the good idea of blending it with a "why Drexel" theme. Explore their mission statement/values (especially since they mentioned it in the prompt), student organizations, research opportunities, etc. Then you can talk about whatever it is you talk about in your diversity essays while relating it to an aspect of Drexel.

"Enrich" and "contribute" are telling indicators of a diversity prompt, which was how I went about it. However, you brought up the good idea of blending it with a "why Drexel" theme. Explore their mission statement/values (especially since they mentioned it in the prompt), student organizations, research opportunities, etc. Then you can talk about whatever it is you talk about in your diversity essays while relating it to an aspect of Drexel.

Yeah, I definitely took it as a diversity prompt when I first looked at it, but it seemed more appropriate to answer like "Why Drexel" after I gave it more thought.

We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College.

So it just made sense to answer it as how I was going to contribute to the community by talking about how my experiences/activities/career interests will translate into the Drexel mission/values based on what aspects of Drexel appeal to me and what I was hoping to accomplish at Drexel.

But I don't mean to write this post trying to start a fight or anything, more or less wanted to get my thoughts out somewhere.

Are we supposed to add out high school to the academic history? I have no idea what the start and stop dates were.

Also, I'm really confused by it saying "Please add colleges, graduate, or professional schools that you are currently attending but are not listed on your AMCAS application." Is the Acdademic History section ONLY if you didn't include a school in the primary?

And if it does say to list all the schools, why won't it go through without a degree date?

Also, I'm really confused by it saying "Please add colleges, graduate, or professional schools that you are currently attending but are not listed on your AMCAS application." Is the Acdademic History section ONLY if you didn't include a school in the primary?

And if it does say to list all the schools, why won't it go through without a degree date?

My undergrad is the only school I have, but I interpreted it as, if you're currently in a school not listed on your AMCAS primary, then record it here. For example, maybe you graduated already and just need to finish up an English course at CC for med school prereqs, then this might be your situation. I actually don't remember how AAMC asks you to put this kind of situation in your primary because I'm not in that situation.

If it helps, I pretty much left that page blank.

Yeah, I definitely took it as a diversity prompt when I first looked at it, but it seemed more appropriate to answer like "Why Drexel" after I gave it more thought.

We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College.

So it just made sense to answer it as how I was going to contribute to the community by talking about how my experiences/activities/career interests will translate into the Drexel mission/values based on what aspects of Drexel appeal to me and what I was hoping to accomplish at Drexel.

But I don't mean to write this post trying to start a fight or anything, more or less wanted to get my thoughts out somewhere.
Oh, no, you have that right idea. I didn't mean to make it sound like I disagreed with you. Your approach is perfectly fine. I was just noting the thing about the use of "contribute" because in many other schools' prompts that word comes up in what is deemed their diversity essays, that's all. :)

I noticed there is a place to upload a CV, but that seems a bit superfluous given the amount of information included in the AMCAS. Is uploading a CV an expectation or what?

I noticed there is a place to upload a CV, but that seems a bit superfluous given the amount of information included in the AMCAS. Is uploading a CV an expectation or what?

Do you not have a CV?

Haha of course I have a CV! Good point...I'll just include it

Where do you see that? Did I totally miss it? I know Columbia provides space for submitting a CV, but I did not see it for Drexel. I just double checked it and I still don't see it.

Where do you see that? Did I totally miss it? I know Columbia provides space for submitting a CV, but I did not see it for Drexel. I just double checked it and I still don't see it.
Wait, nevermind, it isn't in the actual secondary section, but the document/upload section. Should I be uploading CVs to all my schools?

no thats for updated info you want to show them, if your CV is the same as amcas i wouldnt do that

Haha of course I have a CV! Good point...I'll just include it

Yea whenever it was optional I just added. There are some details that I included in my CV job descriptions that aren't on my primary plus I'm hoping it makes me look professional :)

Has anyone gotten an email saying their application is complete? I have green checkmarks beside everything, but it said they would send an email when the application was complete.