2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else also not receive a secondary yet?
I still don't have one from Colombia

Members don't see this ad.

They probably haven't sent secondaries out to most people because they're still sorting out technical difficulties. FWIW people who already received the secondary can't submit it for that reason

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received Completed Email on 7/6! Received Secondary 7/5. Submitted AMCAS app 6/8, Verified 6/15.

Is a collegiate extracurricular associated with college? Like clubs and stuff? Or just all your extracurriculars

What's the MCAT cut-off for this school? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my secondary this afternoon. Verified 6/24

Trying to decide, would you guys think Public Health major would fall better under social sciences, "other health professions" (nursing, pharmacy, etc.), or other? It's really a blend of them.

There is no MCAT cutoff as far as I know in terms of admissions. There is no secondary pre-screen at all. Obviously higher MCAT is better.

Received Completed Email on 7/6! Received Secondary 7/5. Submitted AMCAS app 6/8, Verified 6/15.

I just got a secondary invite this morning, but my AMCAS hasn't been verified yet and I haven't received the "completed" email either...I submitted 6/23 and AAMC says they're now processing apps submitted 6/17. Any idea what's going on?

I just got a secondary invite this morning, but my AMCAS hasn't been verified yet and I haven't received the "completed" email either...I submitted 6/23 and AAMC says they're now processing apps submitted 6/17. Any idea what's going on?

If you submitted the AMCAS on 6/23, and they are only processing apps from 6/17 as of right now, that means your app is still not verified. You can get a secondary before verification, but your application won't be complete with any individual school until your primary is verified, secondary submitted, fee paid, MCAT scores and LORs are in. After all of that, you will get a "complete" email from the school. All of this is completely normal.

If you submitted the AMCAS on 6/23, and they are only processing apps from 6/17 as of right now, that means your app is still not verified. You can get a secondary before verification, but your application won't be complete with any individual school until your primary is verified, secondary submitted, fee paid, MCAT scores and LORs are in. After all of that, you will get a "complete" email from the school. All of this is completely normal.

I also received the secondary this morning without having been verified, however I cannot open the link. It seems like their website has crashed. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: 1 user
How are you guys answering this question:

What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them?

What challenges are there in the city? I've been there my whole life

@onceawolverine @WedgeDawg
Any idea on how to tackle the complex urban environment question? The only thing I can think of is language barriers between patients and doctors. Is that sufficient?

Other stuff seems kind of not what they want (e.g. traffic, cost of living, crime).

I interpreted the question as asking what challenges that I, as a student, would face moving to NYC and studying there...I know that schools want to make sure that admitted students are a good fit for their program / integrate well into the community and since NYC can be an intense city it makes sense that they would want to ensure that applicants understand the challenges and how they are going to cope

I got my secondary over the weekend and submitted yesterday. Didn't have any technical issues at all.

hey guys, for the collegiate extracurriculars, im planning to list:
a) any labs i worked in that are affiliated with the university
b) volunteering at the university hospital
c) tutoring for university
d) volunteering for university orientation program
e) executive position for a club at the university

Is any of these not supposed to be mentioned here? I did not list any community positions that are not related to the university in any way.

Is there any consensus on the optional upload CV section on the secondary? I don't think there's anything they'd really care about on my resume that's not covered on AMCAS or the secondary, but I'm not sure if optional really means optional in this case...

Is there any consensus on the optional upload CV section on the secondary? I don't think there's anything they'd really care about on my resume that's not covered on AMCAS or the secondary, but I'm not sure if optional really means optional in this case...

I have an updated one, so I did it. If you don't have one, I probably wouldn't go through the effort of making one just for this.

Does anyone else have trouble uploading their CV or Resume? I keep getting this message when I try to submit it "Error: String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated"

Does anyone else have trouble uploading their CV or Resume? I keep getting this message when I try to submit it "Error: String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated"
I had the same problem. I tried uploading it as a PDF instead of a word document and that seemed to resolve the issue.

I had the same problem. I tried uploading it as a PDF instead of a word document and that seemed to resolve the issue.
Awesome! I'll try that too and see if it works for me. Thank you!

Anybody having trouble with the complex urban environment question?
It took me forever. I think I was trying to find the "perfect" answer. Then I decided to think of it as a "how will you survive in New York" gave myself a 30 minute time limit, and went to town.

Reactions: 2 users

I got my secondary over the weekend and submitted yesterday. Didn't have any technical issues at all.

It took me forever. I think I was trying to find the "perfect" answer. Then I decided to think of it as a "how will you survive in New York" gave myself a 30 minute time limit, and went to town.

For the question:

Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (300 words) and how many hrs/week,

Did you guys only write the job and how many hours a week, or also a description and lessons learned from the job? Currently I have a description as well as the lessons I learned from the job.

For the question:

Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (300 words) and how many hrs/week,

Did you guys only write the job and how many hours a week, or also a description and lessons learned from the job? Currently I have a description as well as the lessons I learned from the job.

I personally only had room to list jobs and hours for each. I have a feeling they are more just trying to assess the hours dedicated while studying in school/responsibility in holding down a job so I wouldn't add additional fluff with lessons learned, but others may disagree with me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you guys use the "Is there anything else" question as a diversity or challenge or why Columbia essay?

Did you guys use the "Is there anything else" question as a diversity or challenge or why Columbia essay?
I used it to update my experiences at my new job in Orthopedics because my primary was sent the week I started.

For the working for compensation question, does research with a stipend count? It was 8 hours a day every day exactly like any other job...

"In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage?"

Does this question include all ECs you did during college or just ones that were on campus? Does this include paid ECs like research - since they have another box for paid work?

How would you define "scholarly material?" Are they only referring to research papers and essays? Any thoughts on this?

I'm trying to submit the secondary, but when I navigate to the payment page, "Basic Information" is shown as being incomplete (even though it is complete) and the box to check to certify and submit is greyed out. Anyone else with a similar issue? I've already submitted payment.

I'm trying to submit the secondary, but when I navigate to the payment page, "Basic Information" is shown as being incomplete (even though it is complete) and the box to check to certify and submit is greyed out. Anyone else with a similar issue? I've already submitted payment.
Did you put something in each short answer/essay box? It will say it is incomplete if you don't. I just put N/A for things that I didn't need to answer (if your name is mispronounced, time off from undergraduate studies, etc)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

The same thing happened to me and they responded the next day. I would check back in with them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any II or rejection yet? Also does Columbia send any email when they mark your application complete?

Anyone else having troubles with the secondary app url? I can't access it. I emailed the school but they haven't responded yet...

Anyone else having troubles with the secondary app url? I can't access it. I emailed the school but they haven't responded yet...

The hyperlink is broken. Just copy and paste the address into your browser.