2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I got a letter I think either in April or very early May that I was just no longer being considered. I called and asked and yeah, they just kind of "cut" the back 2/3rds or so of the wait list because it wasn't going to move as much as they expected.
It must have been May now that I think about it, given multiple acceptance day is on April 30th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone think they will send out emails with updates on March 23rd still???

I was accepted yesterday!!!!

Keep your heads up guys, lots of people will drop in April!! Sending you all positive vibes..

To accepted students, do we have to send an email to accept their offer or anything?

Reactions: 2 users

Keep your heads up guys, lots of people will drop in April!! Sending you all positive vibes..

To accepted students, do we have to send an email to accept their offer or anything?
Congrats!

Congrats!

Congratulations! You will be receiving a letter in the mail a week or so after your acceptance which will give you directions on how to confirm your acceptance. You will write a short letter of acceptance and sign a sheet of paper and send it back.

Congratulations! You will receive a packet in the mail a week or so after your acceptance with directions on how to confirm your acceptance. I received mine about 9 days after my acceptance email. Yes here is the link to the class of 2020 fb page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1494450694189912/

Congratulations! You will be receiving a letter in the mail a week or so after your acceptance which will give you directions on how to confirm your acceptance. You will write a short letter of acceptance and sign a sheet of paper and send it back.
**if** I get accepted haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recall someone mentioning in this thread that on March 23rd, Wayne will be sending application status updates for interviewed/waitlisted candidates. Seeing that they had sent out status updates just last week, does that mean that we should not expect another status update on the 23rd?

I recall someone mentioning in this thread that on March 23rd, Wayne will be sending application status updates for interviewed/waitlisted candidates. Seeing that they had sent out status updates just last week, does that mean that we should not expect another status update on the 23rd?
I would guess most likely not. However I'd love to be proven wrong...

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance here. One more spot from the alternate list! Good luck guys!!

Reactions: 4 users
Bye-Bye Wayne it's been nice knowing you--but I got more ❤️ from others....good luck and best wishes to everyone I'm going to be a doctor!:highfive:

Last edited:
Step 1 data came out for Wayne State. Class of 2017 had an average Step 1 of 233, with national average at 229. Subject breakdowns and distributions attached. With the curriculum reform underway, I expect great things for the next few years. I imagine the class of 2018's average will be even higher- we were given free uworld access in the fall, and many of my classmates are already through the first pass.

Attachments

• 582869 Performance Summary.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 583057 Score Plot.pdf
    14.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 583184 Score Histogram.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 71
Can you tell us a little about the curriculum changes?

Can you tell us a little about the curriculum changes?
I don't want to say too much on this, as not everything is public, but I'm really excited for your year and beyond. Dean Baker (new Vice Dean of Med Ed) is phenomenal, and gets things done. Whole administrative culture is changing fast- if I could make someone a saint, Dean Baker would be it. Really looking forward to Wayne's upcoming data-driven approach to medical education (and kind of sad I won't be the beneficiary of it). Below is the paper that was sent out to students:

http://www.lcme.med.wayne.edu/pdfs/curriculum_white_paper.pdf

Does anyone else get the feeling that Wayne State Med is very unorganized and nonchalant about everything?

I hope I'm "wowed" by second look. This feeling is pushing me towards other options.

Yes, it was that way, but it's definitely changing. I encourage you to join the FB group and get in contact with current students to learn more about the school. I wasn't considering the school much, but learning more about the school from them this past month has led me to nearly commit there, even though I have acceptances at other top schools (I do think my calculation would have changed if I weren't from the Metro Detroit Area). The school is radically changing and the students on the group can tell you best about how it's changing.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Wayne State Med is very unorganized and nonchalant about everything?

I hope I'm "wowed" by second look. This feeling is pushing me towards other options.

Last edited:
Yes, it was that way, but it's definitely changing. I encourage you to join the FB group and get in contact with current students to learn more about the school. I wasn't considering the school much, but learning more about the school from them this past month has lead me to nearly commit there, even though I have acceptances at other top schools (I do think my calculation would have changed if I weren't from the Metro Detroit Area). The school is radically changing and the students on the group can tell you best about how it's changing.
That's well said. Obviously current students can speak more accurately and offer a more worthwhile perspective, but Wayne doesn't put on a show. If you don't take the time to talk to students and go out of your way to learn about the school, you won't know about its perks from simply interviewing and browsing their webpage--almost like a "best kept secret." I'd agree that living close to the school and knowing plenty of med students and doctors has allowed me to better understand their school. I am also considering attending Wayne over other top schools.

Hey guys, declined my offer here recently, hope one of you gets it!

Don't come to Wayne if you are hoping to be coddled or have your hand held. Its not that kind of place. You will have to pull your own weight here, occasionally be thrown to the wolves (we call it being "Wayned"), and generally be responsible for your own success. In exchange, you will get to see medicine in the trenches, treat some crazy pathology (you will have stories, I promise), and be mentored by some of the best clinicians around.

Some cool things Wayne doesn't advertise:
- Home of the NIH Perinatology Research Branch (one of like 2 branches not in Maryland)
- One of 10 schools with a medical genetics residency- not my thing, but pretty cool stuff
- Huge diversity of residency positions- which means mentors in the area you want, and a program that knows you (and if you aren't sure why this is important, browse the ophtho/ortho/derm/ent/radonc forums and check out the "I don't have a home program- am I screwed?" threads).
Home hospitals = DMC, Henry Ford, St. John, and Oakwood (basically if it exists, you will find it at one of our hospitals):
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Program-Results-2011-2015.pdf

Some unfortunate things you may not know about Wayne:
- 1960's prison architecture
- Pot-holes that will swallow your car
- Bedbug outbreaks (you're in Detroit, deal with it)

Reactions: 11 users
I didn't get a letter in the mail about Second Look Day, but I got an email about it this morning. Just curious if they changed their minds and decided to invite everyone?

My guess would be that they had a fewer amount of people than they expected register so they're inviting more people. I would definitely go!
I didn't get a letter in the mail about Second Look Day, but I got an email about it this morning. Just curious if they changed their minds and decided to invite everyone?

jk got confused about which thread this was

On the waitlist here, what day can we start sending in updates? Thanks.

On the waitlist here, what day can we start sending in updates? Thanks.
Erm, six months ago? JK, but once you've been waitlisted (especially now that they've finished interviewing) you can send them updates. There are no stated rules for when and how to update beyond the logical rules of not being annoying and having genuine information to update them with.

So...Wayne doesn't feel like updating their tracker, do they?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It would appear not haha.
Anyone on the wait list heard anything? I'm guessing it'll be after the end of the month but still.

Erm, six months ago? JK, but once you've been waitlisted (especially now that they've finished interviewing) you can send them updates. There are no stated rules for when and how to update beyond the logical rules of not being annoying and having genuine information to update them with.
Who do you send the updates to, the office or admissions? As in, who should they be addressed to?

For those who withdrew, did you get a response from them after the email? I am not sure if they received it!

Good luck to those on the waitlist!

For those who withdrew, did you get a response from them after the email? I am not sure if they received it!

The wait list commends you

Reactions: 3 users

Withdrew...and wants confirmation of it?

uploadfromtaptalk1460221248917.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
I know how it feels to be on a waitlist and anxiously wait for the acceptance guys. May the odds be in your favor.