2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha idk. I was asked to complete my background check yesterday. I'm assuming they want everyone to complete it if they haven't already, just in case we get pulled?

Hm, I didn't get anything... I don't want to get any hopes up, but maybe that's a good sign for you?

Ha idk. I was asked to complete my background check yesterday. I'm assuming they want everyone to complete it if they haven't already, just in case we get pulled?

I think it IS a good sign! I was accepted off the wait list on Monday and received the background check request on Tuesday. Rumor has it that the waitlist is ranked so maybe that means you are ranked high!

Did you send a letter of intent or any updates in recently?

Reactions: 1 user
I think it IS a good sign! I was accepted off the wait list on Monday and received the background check request on Tuesday. Rumor has it that the waitlist is ranked so maybe that means you are ranked high!

Did you send a letter of intent or any updates in recently?

Not too recently, mid March time frame? Would that have an impact?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long it'll take after being accepted to received financial aid information? Thanks!

Kept rethinking why I received the background check the same day as the ppl accepted Monday. So I decided to randomly check my junk folder, because, who knows? I was actually accepted on Monday!! So stupid not to put it together before, but none on my communication had been directed into junk before.

Sorry for the confusion, and good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 3 users
Kept rethinking why I received the background check the same day as the ppl accepted Monday. So I decided to randomly check my junk folder, because, who knows? I was actually accepted on Monday!! So stupid not to put it together before, but none on my communication had been directed into junk before.

Sorry for the confusion, and good luck to everyone else!
Thank God for SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get in since Monday?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Accepted yesterday (Thursday) via email 7:30AM PST. Couldn't be more excited! I'm so thrilled and honored that Wayne State looked past some poor undergrad grades and is giving me this second chance. Lord knows I worked hard to try and make up for it. For those of you in a similar situation, keep your head up and continue working at it! Your day will come! With God as my witness, I will work my butt off in medical school to validate Wayne's commitment to non-traditional students. I will advocate on your behalf whenever I can. I'm rooting for you guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted yesterday (Thursday) via email 7:30AM PST. Couldn't be more excited! I'm so thrilled and honored that Wayne State looked past my one year of bad undergrad grades and is giving me this second chance. Lord knows I worked hard to try and make up for it. For those of you in a similar situation, keep your head up and continue working at it! Your day will come! With God as my witness, I will work my butt off in medical school to validate Wayne's commitment to non-traditional students. I will advocate on your behalf whenever I can. I'm rooting for you guys!
Congrats man

Accepted yesterday (Thursday) via email 7:30AM PST. Couldn't be more excited! I'm so thrilled and honored that Wayne State looked past some poor undergrad grades and is giving me this second chance. Lord knows I worked hard to try and make up for it. For those of you in a similar situation, keep your head up and continue working at it! Your day will come! With God as my witness, I will work my butt off in medical school to validate Wayne's commitment to non-traditional students. I will advocate on your behalf whenever I can. I'm rooting for you guys!

My thoughts exactly^^ Wayne has shown its willing to overlook flaws from years ago, and take a chance on some of us underdogs!

As an update, I have requested (and granted this morning) a 1-yr deferral acceptance for the 2017 freshmen class. It was best for my wife and I (And our soon-to-be baby son ) Again, Wayne showed up and helped when I needed them most! I hope my spot becomes available to one of you!

I'll see you guys in a couple years!

Reactions: 6 users
Called the office this morning and was told "a few offers from the alternate list were given this week, and more will be given next week"

Reactions: 6 users
So how long does it take for your snail mail acceptance to come? I just don't know what to do next from here haha

Can any OOS accepted students comment on what their financial aid packages looked like? The OOS tuition at Wayne State is rather high, so I'm wondering if they offer decent amounts of grants or scholarships. Thank you!

received full tuition scholarship on Monday... didn't even know that they were still sending those... Interviewed October and accepted November!! Still in shock.

Reactions: 2 users
received full tuition scholarship on Monday... didn't even know that they were still sending those... Interviewed October and accepted November!! Still in shock.

STILL SO PROUD OF YOU, BEST FRIEND!!!! :love::biglove::banana::banana::banana::biglove::love:

This time last year I got a snail mail rejection because they had already handed out their quota of acceptances from the waitlist. Not saying they're doing the same thing again (obviously not given someone's statement above), but just something to watch out for.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So, is there anything that those accepted off of the waitlist have to do right now, other than the background check?
We don't have to send a deposit or anything?

So, is there anything that those accepted off of the waitlist have to do right now, other than the background check?
When were you accepted?

Edit: nvm!

Last edited:

I think we can't do anything till we receive the snail mail acceptance letter. I've been waiting a week...

Accepted from the wait list, declined today, wishing the best for those still waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
So for newly admitted students, what should I be doing right now? I just sent my letter of intent and note of acceptance but haven't received any further correspondence from the school. I don't have the WSU ID yet, so am I stuck at the moment?

You should get a packet in the mail within two weeks of your acceptance with a "Hold" form you submit along with a brief letter of acceptance to hold your spot. You then need to wait for another mailing which will have your WSU ID. In the meantime go on the website, download the vaccination form and get your vaccinations in order, send in all college transcripts to the school, work out housing and make sure FAFSA is complete.

You should get a packet in the mail within two weeks of your acceptance with a "Hold" form you submit along with a brief letter of acceptance to hold your spot. You then need to wait for another mailing which will have your WSU ID. In the meantime go on the website, download the vaccination form and get your vaccinations in order, send in all college transcripts to the school, work out housing and make sure FAFSA is complete.

Thanks! Is the form at http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/pdfs/healthcert.pdf the correct one? It appears to be from 2015 but probably is the same format for this year.

Yeah apparently they're fine with the old vaccination form (there is no new one). Make sure you join the WSU SOM 2020 FB group, it's closed but they have a list of accepted students and will add you.

Hahah... I heard nothing this week. Hopefully tomorrow we will hear something lol.
Buddy called, they said next batch of acceptances will be late next week. Not sure if that means that a bunch were already accepted this week or they are waiting. Either way I'm losing hope

Buddy called, they said next batch of acceptances will be late next week. Not sure if that means that a bunch were already accepted this week or they are waiting. Either way I'm losing hope

I think the last batch have two weeks to decide.. I think next Friday there time is up.. I guess that's when will start to hear somthing.. but I have already given up lol.

Yeah I also called again today and they said next round offers by the end of next week. Confusing, since they said the same thing last week when I called them

to what address do we send updated college transcripts?

Posted this in the wait list thread but just in case for those of you still waiting (cuz I know that feel), I am withdrawing my acceptance here. I really hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users