2015-2016 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED OFF OF THE FIRST TIER WAITLIST!!! OMG YASSS!!! SO EXCITED!!!
same here. got the notification at midnight exactly. definitely attending since its my top school choice. congrats to everyone else

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
Woww :) Congratulations to those accepted off the first tier!! Hopefully the rest of us will have some good luck as well ^_^ Great job~

Reactions: 7 users
ACCEPTED OFF OF THE FIRST TIER WAITLIST!!! OMG YASSS!!! SO EXCITED!!!

same here. got the notification at midnight exactly. definitely attending since its my top school choice. congrats to everyone else

Did any one else get off the 1st tier WL? For those that did, what were your general stats? I think I'm falling for Pitt (more than my alma mater, too!) and even the illusion of hope would be welcomed lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have the # of acceptances for Pitt last year from US News?

IIRC 270 ish

If my memory serves me right, on interview day, we were told that 200 interviewees will be accepted outright. If the figure @Ibeenjammin has quoted is correct, then that must mean approximately 70 will be accepted from the waitlist. Does anyone else remember the number of outright acceptances offered at Pitt?

Reactions: 1 user
If my memory serves me right, on interview day, we were told that 200 interviewees will be accepted outright. If the figure @Ibeenjammin has quoted is correct, then that must mean approximately 70 will be accepted from the waitlist. Does anyone else remember the number of outright acceptances offered at Pitt?
I don't like those numbers. Any chance you know around how many are on each wait list?

The MSAR was updated recently and it says "Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: 112." Could it be that the ~270 on US News are outright acceptances alone, before waitlist movement? 270 is around double the class size, and don't most schools accept 1.5-2x their class size initially (save for some exceptions)?

The MSAR was updated recently and it says "Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: 112." Could it be that the ~270 on US News are outright acceptances alone, before waitlist movement? 270 is around double the class size, and don't most schools accept 1.5-2x their class size initially (save for some exceptions)?

My MSAR expired but if the updated version is giving you "number of acceptances granted to waitlistees," it must have "total number of acceptances" somewhere also. If you haven't tried, maybe subtract those figures to get a more reasonable "number of outright acceptances"?

My bet is that "outright acceptances" is around 270-112=158

EDIT: ANNND thats enough pointless speculation out of me

My MSAR expired but if the updated version is giving you "number of acceptances granted to waitlistees," it must have "total number of acceptances" somewhere also. If you haven't tried, maybe subtract those figures to get a more reasonable "number of outright acceptances"?
The MSAR only gives # of applications, # interviewed (840), and # matriculated (148).

I recall reading in a previous cycle's thread that Pitt initially accepts around 1/3 of interviewees, waitlists 1/3, and rejects the rest (I will try to look for which year this was mentioned). If this is still the case, 270 is close to 1/3 of 840 (# interviewed, see above). As I mentioned earlier according to adcoms on here schools typically accept 1.5-2x the class size, and the 270 estimate fits that general statement.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, I love you, Pitt, and I would commit 100% if accepted off the waitlist. Acceptances for everyone else waiting on this thread would be amazing too.

EDIT:
Found the posts that I read before regarding 1/3 of interviewees getting acceptances. They were from applicants at the time so I'm taking them with a grain of salt. I did, however, find a post by a student in the 2014-2015 thread that says ~2/3 of the class come from the waitlist (so that'd be close to 100 people).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my first their waitlist - hopefully the next spot goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone remember if we paid a deposit to secure a place in their class?

I'm figuring it's crazy around match day + dealing with interviewing guarantee program applicants? Mostly grasping the options that aren't "we won't have as many seats opening this year"

Really hoping they'd accept more people off the waitlist before Second Look, and that I'll be one of those folks.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm like an absolute wreck right now. Every time I suspect to hear from Pitt, I don't. It's like every little deadline I've set in my head has passed up. :oops: Also I have some major life change stuff happening that hinges on where I'll be in the next four years and I'm pretty stressed about it, ngl.

Did they ever mention if they want hard copies of financial aid stuff or just electronic?

Did they ever mention if they want hard copies of financial aid stuff or just electronic?
I just sent electronic, but I did it yesterday so it has not been long enough for them to tell me that I did it wrong or not.

I called a while back and they said you can send the documents via e-mail/fax/snail mail. I ended up faxing everything and calling after a while to make sure they received everything. The person I talked to on the phone told me that one important thing is that everything you submit that needs to be signed must be signed (like, don't send them an unsigned 1040 that you made a copy of before submitting to the IRS - hope that made sense).

I called a while back and they said you can send the documents via e-mail/fax/snail mail. I ended up faxing everything and calling after a while to make sure they received everything. The person I talked to on the phone told me that one important thing is that everything you submit that needs to be signed must be signed (like, don't send them an unsigned 1040 that you made a copy of before submitting to the IRS - hope that made sense).

And if you e file they won't accept an electronic filing receipt and they make you print out and sign the 1040 even though you didn't file it that way, kind of ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted off the waitlist. BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! See you all in the fall!!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted off the WL today! Yay for Pittsburgh and yay for Pitt Med! :love:

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations, y'all! Hope more acceptances come for us soon!

Accepted off the WL today as well!! Best of luck to those who are waiting :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone accepted off the WL? Did any of you send updates/letters of interest since being placed on the WL in Jan?

I sent an update letter/LOI 2 weeks ago

Reactions: 1 users
For those accepted today, did you get an email about a status change or did you just check your portals?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For those accepted today, did you get an email about a status change or did you just check your portals?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I got an email from the ED of Admissions then checked my portal. Oddly, I just got the automated email indicating a status change, 12 hours after getting that first email and checking my portal.

Congrats to everyone accepted off the WL? Did any of you send updates/letters of interest since being placed on the WL in Jan?
I sent an update/LOI sometime around the second week of Feb.

I got an email from the ED of Admissions then checked my portal. Oddly, I just got the automated email indicating a status change, 12 hours after getting that first email and checking my portal.

Thanks for the response! Helps a lot :) Congrats again!!

Congrats to those recently accepted! Still crossing my fingers, it looks like there should be 2 more rounds of acceptances off the WL based on last year's thread.

Can anyone confirm if Pitt Med is more accepting of PA residents or Pitt undergraduates? Thanks

My PI is offering to write a letter in my behalf to the Admissions Committee, basically an additional LOR (he never wrote one for my app because I had just been in his lab for less than a month when I submitted it). He has no ties to Pitt, but is insisting on writing a good letter for me based on my performance in the lab since June (involvement in several projects and collabs, + 1 pub and 1 poster, detailed in a previous update letter). My question is, is this something people on the waitlist can do, or should we just stick to update letters/LOIs?

I'm pretty sure Pitt takes just about any addition to your file that you want! Thought I saw that somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My PI is offering to write a letter in my behalf to the Admissions Committee, basically an additional LOR (he never wrote one for my app because I had just been in his lab for less than a month when I submitted it). He has no ties to Pitt, but is insisting on writing a good letter for me based on my performance in the lab since June (involvement in several projects and collabs, + 1 pub and 1 poster, detailed in a previous update letter). My question is, is this something people on the waitlist can do, or should we just stick to update letters/LOIs?

I would go ahead and do it. I don't see how it would hurt your application, and potentially it could help get you an acceptance :)

I'm going to do this for my other waitlists! Make sure to call the schools and ask how they'd prefer for you to add it to your application. I got a mix of upload it to AMCAS --> add to your file and have the letter writer submit it via their admissions email.

I'm pretty sure Pitt takes just about any addition to your file that you want! Thought I saw that somewhere

I would go ahead and do it. I don't see how it would hurt your application, and potentially it could help get you an acceptance :)

I'm going to do this for my other waitlists! Make sure to call the schools and ask how they'd prefer for you to add it to your application. I got a mix of upload it to AMCAS --> add to your file and have the letter writer submit it via their admissions email.

Thanks y'all, I think I'm gonna go ahead and tell my PI to do it if he's still willing to.

Can anyone confirm if Pitt Med is more accepting of PA residents or Pitt undergraduates? Thanks

A good chunk of the Pitt alums who matriculate to Pitt Med are from the guaranteed admission program. It's typically the most represented undergraduate school and maybe ~10-12% of the class is Pitt alum with ~8 people from guaranteed. (These are not official numbers, this is what I remember about my class's makeup on matriculation). Also not a huge preference towards PA residents but MSAR would have that data. PA is probably the most represented state but the majority of the class is OOS. I think CA is typically the 2nd most represented.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone receive a confirmation when they submitted their financial aid documents?