2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today
LizzyM score is 70 and I was complete 7/20
Not very high stats so quite surprised honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So I submitted my secondary 6 days ago and all my letters have been in AMCAS since forever... should I be worried that my LORs are still marked as "No Letters of Recommendation have been submitted" on my secondary status?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I submitted my secondary 6 days ago and all my letters have been in AMCAS since forever... should I be worried that my LORs are still marked as "No Letters of Recommendation have been submitted" on my secondary status?
Same issue here!

Just got this email:

"Due to a FTP server issue, some of the letters of recommendation are not transferring over to the AMP system from AMCAS. We are diligently working to correct this error. We thank you for your patience in this matter and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys with IIs congrats! Could you tell me what kind of interview dates were offered? I have several interviews in New York that I hope to schedule soon and I'm trying to ballpark just in case I get interviews from more schools in NY. Much appreciated!

Hey guys with IIs congrats! Could you tell me what kind of interview dates were offered? I have several interviews in New York that I hope to schedule soon and I'm trying to ballpark just in case I get interviews from more schools in NY. Much appreciated!

Mostly Tuesdays-Thursdays every week it seemed like.

Complete! Haha

Reactions: 1 users
-

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Complete as well, tricky final reference letter finally got pulled from AMCAS this morning.

Did you guys get a complete email? My online portal says complete but I never got the email that the portal says they'll send.

Did you guys get a complete email? My online portal says complete but I never got the email that the portal says they'll send.
Complete! But I didn't get an email either.

Does anyone know if NYU is receptive to "in the area" emails?

What do you mean "wow"? It's a legit question.

I need to email them as well since I have another interview nearby
It's a bit..... overconfident, wouldn't you think? I wouldn't want to show that side to med schools.

Working with members of an adcom in NY, I have asked this question before, and at least for the school I worked for, they advised sending one.
Adcom members are people, too. They understand funding problems, and ideally whoever you speak to or reads the e-mail will pull up your admissions file - bringing it up and possibly expediting your review.

You should do whatever YOU want, and remember that the advice on here is coming from neurotic pre-meds who are all PRE-MED and do not know what they are talking about (myself included sometimes).

Maybe at my school they advise it but other schools find it "overconfident." Grow the balls and call them, even anonymously, to ask if it is a negative if you are so worried.

Meh, I wouldn't do it, but knock yourself out!
Cool story

But don't deny that this is an accepted practice in the app process just because you don't like it

Reactions: 2 users
ITA emails are standard practice, especially for hubs like NYC. Send one if it is truly needed (i.e. you have financial or time concerns). Don't send one just to try and weasel your way to an II, it likely won't work.

I definitely thought it was a way to try and weasel your way to an II. My bad!

They want to select the brightest students. I don't think they really care who's in town, but IF they do choose to give you an interview I think they will try to accommodate

Last edited:
Do they send out rejection or just silent rejections?

They want to select the brightest students. I don't think they give two sh*ts who's in town, but IF they do choose to give you an interview I think they will try to accommodate
Thus, it is still a good idea to send an ITA email so they have it on file if it turns out they do want to give you an II. It's a win/no gain situation

Some insider info from a friend who just started M1 here.

For the class entering 2015, NYU received >8k apps, interviewed ~1000 people (a markup from the typical ~900), and matriculated ~130 students. The class size at nyu has decreased a good amount; it used to be ~160.

Last edited:
Hey, for those of us with IIs, where are you staying? The only hotels I found were obscenely expensive! Anyone whose staying somewhere cheap, or lives here and knows a place, I would really appreciate your info! Thanks

Hey, for those of us with IIs, where are you staying? The only hotels I found were obscenely expensive! Anyone whose staying somewhere cheap, or lives here and knows a place, I would really appreciate your info! Thanks
Look into airbnb! Very affordable and I've only had good experiences with them.

I've e-mailed the Student Host Committee to get more info about staying with a current medical student.

I have not done this myself, but you can also try collaborating with another interviewee who happens to go on the same date (ask around on this thread), rent a room with 2 queens, and split the bill.

Reactions: 1 users
I've e-mailed the Student Host Committee to get more info about staying with a current medical student.

FYI: I emailed them when I got my II a couple weeks back and they just responded saying they're still finalizing the hosts and will be sending out hosting assignments soon.

FYI: I emailed them when I got my II a couple weeks back and they just responded saying they're still finalizing the hosts and will be sending out hosting assignments soon.

Yep, I just got that reply as well!