2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Silly question and I'm overthinking but: for the what will you contribute specific go NYU question: is this just a diversity question? Or should I research what NYU prioritizes and expand on how I will add to that?

I viewed this as a melding of both. 1) Your diverse background and unique ability to contribute to the NYU medical mission 2) Your ability to contribute GENERALLY to your class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone write about surgery as a prospective field in the second question? Its what I want to do but I can't decide if its the "right" answer

I really don't think there's any "right" answer. Whatever you think is right for you is the best answer, in my opinion, because that's what you can write about (and potentially discuss in an interview) most honestly and passionately!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone write about surgery as a prospective field in the second question? Its what I want to do but I can't decide if its the "right" answer
Yup. My ECs support that, too.
The right answer is the one you can discuss appropriately. If surgery is what you want to do, you'll probably be able to do it more justice.

Yeah I'm interested in surgery and HIV/AIDS medicine but all my ECs are dealing with sexual health and mental health stuff, so I talked about HIV/AIDS med only since I have nothing to really support my interest in surgery . . .

Is anyone approaching the future medical career question as a "Why NYU?" question, as in how NYU can help me achieve my goals?

For those who got II, did you guys copy and paste? Just starting to come over and it seems fairly tedious to do that all over. If I have to, I will though.

@AnophelesGambiae
@bpislife

Yeah. I C/Ped directly from Word. Totally forgot we were told not to do that until just now. haaaaaa oh well. Got that II anyway so obviously it wasn't a big deal.

Yeah. I C/Ped directly from Word. Totally forgot we were told not to do that until just now. haaaaaa oh well. Got that II anyway so obviously it wasn't a big deal.
Yeah, I really was not about to retype that many characters. I made it plain text and submitted it, so hopefully it's fine. Too late now either way.

Yeah, I really was not about to retype that many characters. I made it plain text and submitted it, so hopefully it's fine. Too late now either way.
Yeah the point is to have it be pasted in plain text.

I never even made it plain text.... I think I *actually* had my NYU essays exported as a .pdf and then copied from there because I was too lazy to decompile it back into a Word file. *shrug*

I honestly don't think its too much of a problem as long as it doesn't mess with the word count or character limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
II! Think I'm the first one here with a relatively lower LizzyM (73) to get an interview. Complete 7/9

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
In the hopes of maintaining peace and decorum, I have removed the comment. Happy?

Last edited:
do i submit a blank "tertiary" essay if I am just applying to the regular program?

Pumped for interview! Anyone else going up 9/9?

Submitted just now and got complete email! Hopefully NYU turns my app around as quickly as it has for others here? :luck:

I just got a complete email after submitting the secondary and my LOR section says complete but I'm still waiting for 3 letters to be sent in... Did anyone else have this issue? I just emailed them to ask if they would wait for my letters

I just got a complete email after submitting the secondary and my LOR section says complete but I'm still waiting for 3 letters to be sent in... Did anyone else have this issue? I just emailed them to ask if they would wait for my letters
I have seen multiple schools emphasize on their websites or secondaries that as soon as the minimum number of letters are received, your app will be in line to be reviewed. So their answer should be no.
You'd best pray/remind your writers to literally send that **** in the first waking moment they can before your app is reviewed.
Remember to read bulletins and requirements more carefully in the future to avoid this kind of mishap – you could've just waited on the secondary. Sorry, man.

I have seen multiple schools emphasize on their websites or secondaries that as soon as the minimum number of letters are received, your app will be in line to be reviewed. So their answer should be no.
You'd best pray/remind your writers to literally send that **** in the first waking moment they can before your app is reviewed.
Remember to read bulletins and requirements more carefully in the future to avoid this kind of mishap – you could've just waited on the secondary. Sorry, man.

But they require two letters and I only have one in, which is why I am hoping this is an error. And I just looked up their LOR requirements again and don't see anything about them reviewing right away... Thanks for the heads up though, I should have been more careful in my rush to get secondaries uploaded.

But they require two letters and I only have one in, which is why I am hoping this is an error. And I just looked up their LOR requirements again and don't see anything about them reviewing right away... Thanks for the heads up though, I should have been more careful in my rush to get secondaries uploaded.
I don't remember who said what where, but at least 5 schools haven given specific reminders in the past week while I've been doing their secondaries. Best to check, but don't be surprised.

1400 characters for one of the essays too short?

about how long after people submitted their secondaries did it take for LORs to be marked as received and application completed?
Mine were all in. Complete app upon secondary submission. This has no relevance to your own timeline, though

Confused on what to write for the the first prompt --

Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

Do I need to talk about experiences that are responsible for academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills, and leadership potential? Or, do I need to talk about other things? Please help!

"a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to"
This is about why you are unique. Complementary = in additional to, so don't write about those things they already know about from your primary.

This is about why you are unique. Complementary = in additional to, so don't write about those things they already know about from your primary.

So we shouldn't be talking about leadership and interpersonal??

So we shouldn't be talking about leadership and interpersonal??
Honestly, unless you've done something pretty out there, I don't suspect there's anything really unique about your leadership (no offense, just probability). Same goes for interpersonal skills – there's hardly anything unique about it, you either have them or you don't. Again, unless you're super extroverted, can sell a pencil to a homeless guy, etc.

Those are my thoughts and personal interpretation of the question. Write about why you are special; don't pitch stuff that people could glean from your primary.

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Idk why I am having so much trouble with this question, but is this a why medicine question? Can someone outline to me how they managed to fit 2500 characters with this essay? I am struggling for some reason.....

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Idk why I am having so much trouble with this question, but is this a why medicine question? Can someone outline to me how they managed to fit 2500 characters with this essay? I am struggling for some reason.....

This is the question: "In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why?"

Connect any previous experiences you have already had (research, patient care, education) with your future goals/ambitions within the medical field.

No, it is asking what you think your future career will look like.

sub: 7/9
completed: 7/16
MCAT: 525
cgpa: 3.99

Good luck everyone!!

sub: 7/9
completed: 7/16
MCAT: 525
cgpa: 3.99

Good luck everyone!!
SOOOOOOOOOOO THRILLED FOR YOU!

Also, this means they're going slightly out of order. YUS, we all still have a chance. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! When answering the contribution to the NYU community question, does that just mean the incoming class?
I believe it means the NYU medical school community as a whole