2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Weird, I've been able to log in. But yeah, never got a confirmation e-mail.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone who was approved for AMCAS FAP submitting this secondary? are we supposed to provide proof that we qualified for FAP?

I just sent them an email with the appropriate subject and included my name and AMCAS ID #. I also attached a pdf of the letter informing me that I qualified for FAP. You can get the letter here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/. I hope this works for them.

I sent them this email today, but I don't plan to submit my secondary until I hear back from them on some questions I emailed them about, so hopefully it'll be ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So can we submit the secondary without registering for CASPer?

has anyone else not received a secondary that has been complete for a while now?

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone else not received a secondary that has been complete for a while now?
Last year, it took 11 days to get secondaries to everyone whose primary was verified in June.

Yes, but to be complete I think u need Casper.

So they won't review my app without Casper? That stinks...I thought I saw that Casper is only administered roughly every 3-4 weeks right? What if I don't get a secondary before the middle of July test date?

What day is the middle of July CASPer date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well shoot. I very well may not have a secondary by that date.

Anyone else from a school that uses letter packets instead of committee letters? Did you input it as individual? Most people (myself included) have about 5 letters but there is space for only 3.

Does NYMC screen? I havent receive a secondary yet :S

Anyone else from a school that uses letter packets instead of committee letters? Did you input it as individual? Most people (myself included) have about 5 letters but there is space for only 3.
Similar question: how would I enter a committee letter that comes with a packet of other letters?

Am I doing this wrong, or are there no prompts.....?

Lol wondering the same thing... I just gave my phone number and name of institution for committee letter (or letter packet?). Oh, and payment info ;)

My parents are not alumni of NYMC. I am using committee letter and I don't plan to add any optional letters. My NYMC secondary application looks quite blank... Feel insecure...

They send the pre-verification as well, just got mine - no screen

Does NYMC screen? I havent receive a secondary yet :S

MSAR says they send a secondary to all applicants.

Got the secondary this morning. For your guys' LORs, are some of your course titles being cut off by the app? I assume an appropriate abbreviation would work, right?

They send the pre-verification as well, just got mine - no screen
+1
My primary application has NOT been verified by AMCAS yet. Secondary received this morning and submitted. No prompts, @TheRealOJ. I was able to schedule my CASPer test after I paid my fee to NYMC.

Next think you know all medical schools are going to require this test and its going to be like the second MCAT. Then what? We are going to have to submit how many push ups we can do?

I think I am a bit secondaried out...

+1
My primary application has NOT been verified by AMCAS yet. Secondary received this morning and submitted. No prompts, @TheRealOJ. I was able to schedule my CASPer test after I paid my fee to NYMC.

I'm a little confused about the secondary. Do we just click "Exit" after we are at the last page which details the payment information? I'm using my fee waiver so I emailed them about that, but I didn't see a "submit" button anywhere

My undergraduate school uses a committee letter and I have no connection to NYMC. Am I correct in saying that the application took me 2 minutes to complete? I feel like I must have missed something, the only things I entered were my phone number and the name of my university for the committee letter

Reactions: 5 users
My undergraduate school uses a committee letter and I have no connection to NYMC. Am I correct in saying that the application took me 2 minutes to complete? I feel like I must have missed something, the only things I entered were my phone number and the name of my university for the committee letter
That was all I did as well.

+1 secondary. No secondary questions or essays - maybe they're charging us more to make up for not having us write anything...

I also emailed them about FAP but didn't see a submit button at the end. I still have to register for CASPer too.

Ref the letter packet: I emailed them (got back within an hour!) and they said put the 2 science/1 nonscience in the normal space, then later (after the graduate page), you can put your PI and other writers in two spaces in the optional area. The instructional PDF says how to input it. Good luck to everyone!

I just took the practice test for CASPer. It seems straight forward, however I think that the time limit they give for each set of questions is ridiculous. I'm the kind of person that likes to analyze both sides of a situation before coming to a decision, so it takes me too long to type out my train of thought. Does anyone know what CASPer looks for in terms of the types of favorable responses?

I just took the practice test for CASPer. It seems straight forward, however I think that the time limit they give for each set of questions is ridiculous. I'm the kind of person that likes to analyze both sides of a situation before coming to a decision, so it takes me too long to type out my train of thought. Does anyone know what CASPer looks for in terms of the types of favorable responses?

http://www.caspertest.com/casper-tips/

I'm a little confused about the secondary. Do we just click "Exit" after we are at the last page which details the payment information? I'm using my fee waiver so I emailed them about that, but I didn't see a "submit" button anywhere
I'm sorry, I don't know. I paid using paypal. I'd think they would confirm your submission when they email you back about FAP.

So they won't review my app without Casper? That stinks...I thought I saw that Casper is only administered roughly every 3-4 weeks right? What if I don't get a secondary before the middle of July test date?

The instructions say they will review before they get the scores! So you should be okay.

So I registered for the Casper test, but they said I cannot submit my ID until later, although I did have a weird glitch where I could submit my drivers license (although it would not let me upload). Very interesting..

I'm having some trouble with entering the school name as the graduate premedical committee letter. Every time I enter the school name and hit save, it doesn't show up on the summary page. When I go back to the page itself, the box reverts to being blank (even though the data saves properly on other pages). Anyone else having this issue?

Last edited:

I emailed them about this and here is their response:

Thank you for your interest in New York Medical College. In response to your inquiry – in the secondary application, please list each individual letter of recommendation.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please consult our website – www.nymc.edu – for further information.

Is anyone having trouble logging in to the supplemental application? When we first logged in, did they ask us to change the password they gave us in the secondary invitation email? I don't know if I changed my password and forgot it, or if there is something wrong with the system. I tried the forgot password link, but it gives me an error after I input my AMCAS ID and email. Can someone try logging in and reporting back before I email them about this?

EDIT: just did some testing. If I enter in the password they gave me in the invitation email, then I will not get any sort of error message. The page just loads again and stays the same. If I enter in a random/incorrect password, then it displays the "Incorrect Login Name or Password" error. Looks like something is wrong with the system...Can someone who has NOT submitted their secondary yet try logging in?

Is anyone having trouble logging in to the supplemental application? When we first logged in, did they ask us to change the password they gave us in the secondary invitation email? I don't know if I changed my password and forgot it, or if there is something wrong with the system. I tried the forgot password link, but it gives me an error after I input my AMCAS ID and email. Can someone try logging in and reporting back before I email them about this?
I am able to log in using the password they gave us, I don't recall them ever asking me to change the password when I first logged in.

I am able to log in using the password they gave us, I don't recall them ever asking me to change the password when I first logged in.

Hmm...I'm still not able to log in. Have you submitted your secondary? Anyone who hasn't submitted not able to log in? I'm going to give it a few hours before I email them about this.

Hmm...I'm still not able to log in. Have you submitted your secondary? Anyone who hasn't submitted not able to log in? I'm going to give it a few hours before I email them about this.
Yep, I submitted mine the same day I received it.

I'm in the same boat, trying to make sure my application was actually sent.. I can't log in either, the page just refreshes. Let me know if you discover anything.

I'm in the same boat, trying to make sure my application was actually sent.. I can't log in either, the page just refreshes. Let me know if you discover anything.

Yup, this is what I'm experiencing too. Kind of frustrating...was hoping to submit today! Seems like it's only affecting some of us though, as CellPowerhouse is able to log in.

Try refreshing the page, or closing out of the tab and coming back. I had the same problem, but after I closed the window and went back to the site (through the NYMC website) I was able to log-in.

I'm sorry, I don't know. I paid using paypal. I'd think they would confirm your submission when they email you back about FAP.

No worries! I clicked on the "Check Status" link and they received my secondary and approved my fee waiver.

When I check my status, under secondary it just states:
  • 07/10/2015 - A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application.
The payment was received but I still can't log in to submit my application, even though I clicked "OK" which I thought would submit it. I emailed them, I don't really know what else to do..

So I registered for the Casper test, but they said I cannot submit my ID until later, although I did have a weird glitch where I could submit my drivers license (although it would not let me upload). Very interesting..
The same thing happened to me.

Yup, this is what I'm experiencing too. Kind of frustrating...was hoping to submit today! Seems like it's only affecting some of us though, as CellPowerhouse is able to log in.

I'm having this same issue too. It just clears the info and refreshes the page. I thought they had received my secondary but apparently it's just my fee waiver that was processed.

The instructions say they will review before they get the scores! So you should be okay.

I'm confused, so will admissions be able to review our secondary and perhaps invite us for an interview before we even register/take the CASper test?

No worries! I clicked on the "Check Status" link and they received my secondary and approved my fee waiver.
Hi! Just figured out how to check the status of the secondary, but it only says that a unique login was created. Is there anything you did when you got to the payment page to submit the secondary, or did you just click exit? This one is by far the weirdest secondary I have received thus far!

I don't know if this counts as submitting, but I did everything in the secondary (there was no submit button, so I couldn't really submit) and emailed them about my fee waiver as per their instructions. I haven't gotten anything else from them, but I just checked and I can't log into the page anymore. Using the "forgot password" link produces "Unable to send your Password via e-mail at this time. Please try again."