2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For Casper, it should just have a green box above your name on the profile page that says verified account to allow you to take the exam right?
I hope I can take it, I just signed up today and scheduled for Wednesday lol

Edit: Crisis averted im verified

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I just got my secondary for NYMC. I noticed that we are expected to take the Casper diagnostic test and was wondering how long a sentence should be for each question and what is the nature of this test?

Hey everyone,

I just got my secondary for NYMC. I noticed that we are expected to take the Casper diagnostic test and was wondering how long a sentence should be for each question and what is the nature of this test?
I don't think there's a limit for how long your responses are; more like how much can you type in 5 min. There's a practice test online with 3 sections that you can try out to get a feel for it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so this is my first time ever posting! I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to enter multiple courses in the letters of recommendation section of the secondary? I've taken at least 2 classes with each of the professors writing my recommendations but the text boxes only provide enough space to enter one course title and course number.

Hey so this is my first time ever posting! I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to enter multiple courses in the letters of recommendation section of the secondary? I've taken at least 2 classes with each of the professors writing my recommendations but the text boxes only provide enough space to enter one course title and course number.
I don't think it's possible to enter multiple course numbers so maybe just pick one? Unless the courses were in sequence with one another (ie. I listed one of my letters as "Japan 1A/1B" since I took two courses from the same professor). I think it's more for the AdComs to verify that your letter writer taught a class that you took as opposed to how long you knew the letter writer. In the end, it's the quality of the letter that counts and not necessarily how many of their classes you took :> I think the course selection is also to determine your science/non-science letters.

PSA: IF YOU SUBMIT PAYMENT, THEY WILL LOCK YOU OUT OF THE SECONDARY.

I emailed them about this, and it is not possible to change anything after submitting payment. I didn't even get to fill anything out on the secondary but went ahead and emailed them my fee waiver to get it out of the way. They have now told me I cannot change anything on my secondary.

Is it even worth taking CASPer at this point? I feel like just forgetting about this school. :(

After you've submitted the secondary, can you log back into the secondary portal? Or does it lock you out?

Hey everyone,

The test will have 12 sections, and each section will have a small video or written scenario with 2-4 questions about the scenario. You have 5 minutes for each section. The questions will be pretty open-ended. This means that the length of your answer will be mostly dictated by how fast you can type. For example, they might give you a scenario and then ask: "How would you respond?" Your answer could be a few sentences or a few paragraphs. However, it is unlikely that you'd have time to type a few paragraphs and then answer 2 more questions.

I submitted my secondary on the day I received it (7/10) and I'm still getting this on my status page:

SECONDARY APPLICATION
This section contains updated information about the status of your Secondary Application.
  • 07/10/2015 - A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application.
Is that normal? It doesn't say that I submitted it...or is it because I haven't taken CASPer yet?
I think this is what everyone who has submitted sees right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I submitted payment (sent in my fee waiver) before I filled out the secondary, and now cannot actually fill out the secondary, can someone please let me know what was on it? I remember there was a Letters of Evaluation section and an Additional Letters section. Were there any optional essays? If so, what was the prompt? Are there any other sections I am missing? I am thinking that I will just send an email to the Admissions Office with all of the information I should have submitted on my secondary.

No essays, just the sections for letters as you remember.

Thanks! Do you remember what the secondary asked about each letter? For the academic letters, if I remember correctly, it was Author, Title, Major. Was it the same for the "Additional Letters"?

Thanks! Do you remember what the secondary asked about each letter? For the academic letters, if I remember correctly, it was Author, Title, Major. Was it the same for the "Additional Letters"?
I didn't pay much attention to that as I only had to type in my school's name for my committee letter, but yeah I think that's it.

*starts cramming for CASPer test on Wednesday* :barf:

I'm having some trouble with entering the school name as the graduate premedical committee letter. Every time I enter the school name and hit save, it doesn't show up on the summary page. When I go back to the page itself, the box reverts to being blank (even though the data saves properly on other pages). Anyone else having this issue?

Did you ever figure this out? It won't let me save and continue on the graduate page....I went to the same school for undergrad and grad and my letters all come from the same committee. Not sure why it wants me to fill out an evaluator and course....

You are suppose to type in 0 for credit hours and N/A for course name, etc. (I believe this is in the PDF instructions).

Just an update that may help people who fill out this secondary. I submitted mine (pressed "ok") got no confirmation email and couldn't log back in. I emailed them and they sent me:

In response to your inquiry - when your fee was submitted, your secondary application was received. In order to view the status of your secondary application, please go to the “check the status of my application” on the following website:

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/SecondaryApplicationInstructions.pdf

When I first checked that page two days ago all it told me was that a unique login was made for me, but this morning under secondary it now says:

• "The Date" - Your Secondary Application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee for Admissions.
So just be patient, it just takes a day or two to confirm everything has been sent.

Just an update that may help people who fill out this secondary. I submitted mine (pressed "ok") got no confirmation email and couldn't log back in. I emailed them and they sent me:

In response to your inquiry - when your fee was submitted, your secondary application was received. In order to view the status of your secondary application, please go to the “check the status of my application” on the following website:

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/SecondaryApplicationInstructions.pdf

When I first checked that page two days ago all it told me was that a unique login was made for me, but this morning under secondary it now says:

• "The Date" - Your Secondary Application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee for Admissions.
So just be patient, it just takes a day or two to confirm everything has been sent.
Thanks for letting us know! When did you submit your secondary app? I sent mine on 7/10 and my status is still not updated (still talks about the login info being sent). It says that my payment was received though.

Read the directions carefully when you are filling out your secondary. On the summary page:
"Please carefully review all fields to ensure this information is accurate. You will be able to edit any field prior to making any application fee payment option. However once your payment has been processed, you will not be able to edit the on-line secondary application. Please print a copy of this page for your records."

To be fair, they do warn you before you submit payment.

Read the directions carefully when you are filling out your secondary. On the summary page:
"Please carefully review all fields to ensure this information is accurate. You will be able to edit any field prior to making any application fee payment option. However once your payment has been processed, you will not be able to edit the on-line secondary application. Please print a copy of this page for your records."

tl;dr.

Fair enough, but I highly doubt most people read the instructions that thoroughly. They really should update to have a submit button, like every other secondary I've received.

Anyway, is it worth it to go through with the CASPer and my application to NYMC in general, figuring I submitted my secondary without even filling it out? Is my situation salvageable?

Yup, I just got the exact same email. (Funny that they link to the PDF instead of the actual "check status" website.) I haven't gotten the completed notification on my status page yet, but I'm assuming that I will soon.

Fair enough, but I highly doubt most people read the instructions that thoroughly. They really should update to have a submit button, like every other secondary I've received.

Anyway, is it worth it to go through with the CASPer and my application to NYMC in general, figuring I submitted my secondary without even filling it out? Is my situation salvageable?

Since you already paid and there were no essays for NYMC (It was just the LoR and personal info etc), I would continue the application. I'm sure once they receive your LoRs, they will contact you or sort it out. And perhaps send them an email ..the contact information is in the pdf booklet! :)

How you guys feel/ preping for CASPer? Anyone taking it tomorrow?
Personal it seems like a sham. Really has a bad test in my mouth. All it seems is they want to sell you practice test and lessons.
Plus, if they're really trying to gauge our ethics, a test that gives you 5 minutes to type out answers is the best method they could come up with?

I'm taking it tomorrow. I'm gonna do the practice questions they have on the CASPer site tonight and just do my best. I think they are just trying to see how quickly you can think of ethical questions? Oh well, I'm not going to stress too much over it, although it sorta sucks having to take this "test" as a secondary...

Thanks for letting us know! When did you submit your secondary app? I sent mine on 7/10 and my status is still not updated (still talks about the login info being sent). It says that my payment was received though.
I submitted mine 7/10 as well

Just an FYI, for anyone with individual letters and no letter from your major, don't spend your $140. Called the adcom office and they said it's the most important letter.

How you guys feel/ preping for CASPer? Anyone taking it tomorrow?
Personal it seems like a sham. Really has a bad test in my mouth. All it seems is they want to sell you practice test and lessons.
Plus, if they're really trying to gauge our ethics, a test that gives you 5 minutes to type out answers is the best method they could come up with?
I think the very limited time frame is supposed to actually make it more accurate. If they were to, say, give you all of the questions and give you 24 hours to turn the test in, you could Google the issues and try to determine the general consensus on what people should do. The fact that you barely even have time to type out some coherent thoughts means you certainly won't have time to look it up and figure out what makes you look good; you just have to write what you actually think.

anyone enroll in CASPer courses?

idk if I should take it tomorrow or August 15 :/

edit: taking in august

Last edited:
I'm taking it tomorrow night...sort of going in blind. I glanced at the practice question they gave for a few minutes.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm glad NYMC is the only school I'm applying to requiring CASPer. But I feel they should have given us a code to take it with the $120 we already paid; that alone is the highest fee for me so far.

PSA: IF YOU SUBMIT PAYMENT, THEY WILL LOCK YOU OUT OF THE SECONDARY.

I emailed them about this, and it is not possible to change anything after submitting payment. I didn't even get to fill anything out on the secondary but went ahead and emailed them my fee waiver to get it out of the way. They have now told me I cannot change anything on my secondary.

Is it even worth taking CASPer at this point? I feel like just forgetting about this school. :(
Dude i just did this, saw your post, and noticed that I can't change my secondary either.... :(
I'm going to try emailing them as well. Otherwise, looks like a wasted app :(

Taking the CASPer tomorrow at 2p EST!
To be honest, there isn't really much that you can do to "study" for it so just relax and don't stress too much. Obviously it helps if you've experienced situations that tested your ethics/morals but if not, maybe try to "brainstorm" possible topics they might test you on (conflict, compassion, ethics/morals, consequences, team building, leadership/decision making, etc.) so that you don't waste time trying to recall a time when you were faced with x situation.

I can see why people are saying that it's unfair that the test puts us on the spot and forces us to make decisions/reactions very quickly but at the same time, it makes sense--you'd be surprised at how many decisions need to be made on the spot in the medical field (I've seen plenty of instances in my clinical experiences) so this is just seeing how well we are already able to think fast when something unexpected happens.

To be honest, I think it'd be a lot more fun if they just made us take the Alignment Test because that gauges whether you lean towards compassion, rules/morals/ethics, or self interest/survival--as long as you don't align with chaotic or evil then you should get the green light to become a physician lol. (To anyone who wants to take the test: http://easydamus.com/alignmenttest.html)

Reactions: 1 users
I know. And I understand there maybe be case you need to act right in the second. However, If I were to have a serious ethical dilemma, I'm not going with the first thought that pops into mind. I'm gonna sit and think on it.
Yeah, I totally agree. Making rash decisions in difficult moral dilemmas would lead to poor choices. However, I'm thinking that their logic is that if you are an ethical person, your first thought will be something reasonably good. It may not be the absolute best, but it also won't be bad. I think they probably think that it is better to ask for a person's first thought and see if it is on the right track rather than give people time. Anybody could probably come up with a good answer given enough time to ask people who actually do have strong ethics, but people without good ethics probably can't come up with something decent really quickly, on the spot.

Hi all,

Quick question regarding CASPer--does anyone know if it is necessary to be verified in order to take it? I received a secondary from them and will likely be verified by the end of the week if the current rate holds. But, it is unlikely that this will occur prior to the administration tomorrow. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Hi all,

Quick question regarding CASPer--does anyone know if it is necessary to be verified in order to take it? I received a secondary from them and will likely be verified by the end of the week if the current rate holds. But, it is unlikely that this will occur prior to the administration tomorrow. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!
CASPer is linked to your AAMC ID so taking it before your secondary is verified shouldn't be a problem since they'll just sort it to your file :)

Does anyone know if we have to be VERIFIED (when signing up for CASPER) to take the test? I know that it takes 1-2 business days.. I just signed up today when I realized the closest test is tomorrow :|

Does anyone know if we have to be VERIFIED to take the test? I just signed up today when I realized the closest test is tomorrow :|
AMCAS verified or CASPer verified?

Yes, you must be CASPer verified to take the test.
Much appreciated for the fast reply :) man this is a bummer, I was hoping to get everything completed by the end of july..oh well, what's done is done! best of luck to everyone tomorrow

Much appreciated for the fast reply :) man this is a bummer, I was hoping to get everything completed by the end of july..oh well, that's done is done! best of luck to everyone tomorrow
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you to take it tomorrow. However, keep in mind that anybody who gets their secondary between now and the August date can't jump ahead of you in this process because they have to wait until August to take CASPer just like you do. It'll all work out! Good luck in your applications.

Does anyone know if we have to be VERIFIED (when signing up for CASPER) to take the test? I know that it takes 1-2 business days.. I just signed up today when I realized the closest test is tomorrow :|
CASPer does have to verify your information before you can take the exam (ie. match your info with your license/photo ID). If you are unable to get verified by tomorrow and can't take the test, it's free of charge to reschedule.

@nwts @rukia013 you guys are the best! I just wanted to say that I was able to get verified within the day, so if you think it's too late, it's not! gonna finish the secondary and sign up for tomorrow's test date now :) thanks again for the help

Reactions: 2 users