2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted HST!!!!! timestamp: 9:12 am

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted pathways! 9:35 AM Eastern. I can't believe it....

Well, I guess that's it folks! 9:35 seems like the time... Count your blessings today, and let's be grateful for what we have been given!

Members don't see this ad :)
WL from both HST and Pathways. Time stamp 9:52am :-X

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted NP! I'm so happy! I can't. Good luck everyone.

did all of you accepted to pathways apply to both hst and pathways?

Reactions: 6 users
Any idea if they are sending email waves? or was it a personalized email with your name? **angst**

Edit: This might be different this year, based on other posts. Sorry, I didn't see the other posts about being accepted before I myself posted. I was basing my info off of what happened for my class.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Emails go out in batches by program, and I believe it's by what programs you interviewed with (don't hate me if that's wrong). First an MSTP acceptance batch goes out (which it looks like it already has), then usually it's HST/Pathways, HST alone, and then Pathways alone. Pathways usually goes out in the early afternoon.

How do you know that? Appreciate the info!

From the WL email:

1. How large is the waitlist? How many candidates do you expect to admit from the list?

There are roughly fifty candidates on the Pathways waitlist and thirty candidates on the HST waitlist. The number of candidates admitted from the waitlist varies from year to year depending on the number of declines and deferrals received from the original pool of admitted candidates. While we initially extend offers of admission to more candidates than we can accommodate in the incoming class, we fully expect to be making offers to waitlisted candidates in May and early June.

2. Is the waitlist ranked? Is there anything I can do to strengthen my candidacy?

The waitlist is not ranked; waitlisted candidates are reevaluated by the Committee on Admissions as openings in the class become available. For this reason, we encourage waitlisted applicants to update their file with any additional coursework taken, awards received, or other significant experiences. Multiple updates are not necessary.

3. How can I check on the status of my application?

You may call or email the Admissions Office with any questions that you may have. Keep in mind that since the waitlist is not ranked, we will not be able to give you any indication of the likelihood of your being admitted.

4. When can I expect to hear about whether or not I am admitted?

Since vacancies in the class could become available at any time up to the first day of class in August, we do not officially close out the waitlist until the start of classes. In recent years we have typically made offers to waitlisted candidates starting in May and running through mid-June. It would be rare for us to make an offer of admission after early July.

5. How will I be contacted if a seat in the class becomes available for me?

Should a position become available for you, you will be contacted directly by an HMS Admissions Officer via e-mail and telephone. During this conversation, the offer of admission will be extended to you verbally and you will be given a specific timeframe for responding to the offer. A formal written letter of acceptance will be mailed to you shortly thereafter. If a financial aid decision will be a key factor in deciding whether or not to accept an HMS offer of admission, you are urged to file HMS financial aid application materials even before waitlist decisions are made, so that a financial aid award can be prepared for you promptly should you be admitted.

6. If I am offered a position, can I defer my admission?

Unfortunately, we are not able to entertain requests for deferral from candidates accepted from our waitlist. If you are certain you will not be able to start medical school in August 2016, you should withdraw from our waitlist.

7. Can I visit the HMS campus?

You are welcome to visit the campus. Please let the Admissions Office know that you are coming, and we will do our best to assist you in planning your visit. Note that we will not conduct evaluative interviews during campus visits and that making a campus visit will not have any impact on the likelihood of your being admitted. If you are unable to come to Boston, the Admissions Office can put you in contact with current HMS students who can answer your questions about campus life.

8. Can I stay on the HMS waitlist after I have accepted with another school?

Yes. While medical schools expect you to hold no more than one acceptance after April 30th, you are free to remain on as many waitlists as you would like. Out of fairness to wait-listed candidates, you should promptly decline your seat or waitlist position at any school that you are certain you will not attend.

Oh my god. Accepted NP 8:35 am CT. Unreal. Goodluck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I find it funny how I realize there is no chance at this point, but I am still checking this thread and my email religiously.

I find it funny how I realize there is no chance at this point, but I am still checking this thread and my email religiously.
Same here. In my head I'm not rejected until I get the e-mail that says so haha

Reactions: 1 user
so has regular Pathways (not Pathways/HST combo) not been released yet?

are there multiple waves or....should I just hang up my hat and go to sleep

ACCEPTED PATHWAYS!!! 9:35 Eastern

Yeah, I'm assuming that this year HMS decided to make different batches in the order of acceptances, WLs, then rejections lol

When you haven't received an email yet and have to accept the inevitable
image.gif

image.gif

Reactions: 5 users
But do you think there are multiple batches of acceptances? or just the one at 9:35 for pathways

Have any west coast people heard anything? -he said, grasping desperately to his last bit of hope

i guess it's time for me to stop neurotically checking my email. it's been a good run, folks.

Just kidding I'm still checking my email neurotically.

Reactions: 5 users
But do you think there are multiple batches of acceptances? or just the one at 9:35 for pathways
I don't understand why they would send out more than one batch of acceptance emails if they already sent waitlist decisions to some people, though it is possible. I will say I would expect to see more people posting their acceptances and I than the dozen or so I counted, given that they have to fill up a large class. But maybe people aren't up or checking their emails because they weren't expecting decisions this early.

Have any west coast people heard anything? -he said, grasping desperately to his last bit of hope

Not a peep. I'm using an alumni email that gets messages forwarded to it from the address I gave HMS (with latency), though, so that could hold things up for a while.

Welp. This is a bummer. I was expecting it, it was a crazy anomaly that I got this interview to begin with, but it still hurts just KNOWING it's coming.

rejected. I've been more successful this application cycle than I expected, so I'm not too upset.

And there it is friends: a nice fat rejection!

Its been a wild ride, good luck to you all.