2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if Harvard provides stethoschopes to incoming students or if we need to buy one?

You'll need to purchase a stethoscope as well as other medical equipment. Reach out to a first-year student to get advice on what you'll actually need (vs. what is recommended).

Anyone know if Harvard provides stethoschopes to incoming students or if we need to buy one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent, I'll be placing my order shortly:
Littmann_Classic_II_SE_Stethoscope__Rainbow_Finish_Chestpiece___Raspberry_Tubing.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
So... two questions:

Does anybody know when we'll receive the HUID needed to fill out the insurance waiver + other online health forms?

Also--has anyone received any communication post second look? Just want to make sure that nothing slipped through the cracks in my inbox.

Thanks!

So... two questions:

Does anybody know when we'll receive the HUID needed to fill out the insurance waiver + other online health forms?

Also--has anyone received any communication post second look? Just want to make sure that nothing slipped through the cracks in my inbox.

Thanks!

They said in June sometime.

HST sent out an email reminding us to:
- apply to Vandy if we want
- Fill out the health forms
- send in our transcripts once they denote the degree we have received

The health forms are due by June 15 and they said HUID + email is received in June so I'd guess early June since you need the HUID to fill out the forms online. PCE sites come out in late July.

"Boston is the medical center of the United States" Hmmmm: I think the medical center at Houston and the various centers in New York City might easily have some sharp elbows towards this statement of non-fact.

Got in off the waitlist for HST!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know the date for the move-in to Vandy and when the white coat ceremony will be?

Move-in is Thursday July 28 for people going on FEAT/FUNC and Saturday July 30 for everyone else at 9am. White coat is Aug. 5th; not sure about the time. Join the FB group if you haven't!

Did any of you put your name for CHA lottery?

Hi all,

I'm a current student nearing the end of 3rd year. I'm at Cambridge Health Alliance (the 3rd year program/PCE is called the Cambridge Integrated Clerkship) and I've really loved it so far. I can answer questions that you might have about it.

@Gotmedical summarized it very nicely but I'll add a few details. It is indeed a longitudinal program, meaning that all of your clerkships (surgery, medicine, OB/GYN, psych, etc.) run over the course of the whole year. The schedule is relatively stable from week to week. You are assigned an attending physician to be your preceptor in each clerkship and work with them continually. The advantages of having it set up this way are: you get to know your attendings and residents better. You understand them and they understand you. You get to follow the same patient through different avenues of care (i.e. we have cancer patients and I might see them with their PCP, then with their surgeon, and then in psychiatry during therapy - you get the idea). It is a smaller hospital and more of a community setting. The complexity of the patients is less, but you get to be more involved in their care. You get to make some real decisions about your patients and have more independence. That's a tradeoff.

Further, I've spent time at the other 3 hospitals and the culture here is definitely healthier. There's no doubt about it. The attendings and residents are very down to earth. That makes a huge difference. We also spend the whole year with our other 11 classmates, which is great because it develops a real sense of camaraderie. Another difference is that CIC tends to be more like 70:30 or 80:20 outpatient:inpatient, whereas at the other sites it is inverted - that's something to take into consideration. Keep in mind that at the end of the day 4th year rotations and your residencies will most likely be overwhelmingly inpatient. Some people think that the program is specifically for people interested in primary care - it's not. Lots of us here are interested in primary care and that is really wonderful! But among my classmates there are also people planning to go into emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, trauma surgery, radiation oncology, etc. so it is a good mix. CIC is both an educational model and a culture. There is definitely an emphasis on serving the community and marginalized people, as well as social justice here.

I can't speak as much to the other 3 sites, but most of us here are very happy. Added bonus is living in Cambridge and getting to feel like a "real person" ;)

You'll get a great education at any of the hospitals. There are fantastic people at BWH, BIDMC, MGH. I completely agree with @Silverwing that the difference between the hospitals is magnified... it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. It's one of those things that matters just because it's a decision that you have to make. Whether you're at a "top hospital" or not for PCE will not make an ounce of difference for the subsequent future, so please relax and try to enjoy the ride!

P.S. Regarding "shelves" (NBME Subject Exams), it is a set schedule. We have our first shelf about 5-6 months into the year which gives us time to start up since we are starting all clerkships at once. Then we all follow the same shelf schedule for the remainder of the year. The way it has been ordered has been based on past student feedback on what the best order would be. For us it was Neuro, Psych, OB/GYN, Peds, Medicine, Surgery. We historically do very well on the shelves.

P.P.S. Regarding preclinical "woes," the concerns that have been brought up are very legitimate. It's tough to bear the brunt of inefficiencies. Medical education can and should improve. On the other hand, you CAN be happy with your education here! Too often I see people relying on the school itself to make or break their 4-5 year experience. Y'all - make your own experience. If you want to see change, start with yourself. What is it that is driving you? What is it that makes you so deeply upset when your curriculum isn't targeted towards Step 1? Just some food for thought. There are many people who are happy with their decision to be here and are not posting on SDN. I appreciate that it's been a difficult experience for others. I'm not telling you to come to HMS - you should make your own decision - but I want to provide a balanced viewpoint.

@TheKDizzle
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about CIC. DO you complete all your rotations at CHA or you get to rotate at other hospital? How do you select your patient to follow for a year? DO they provide you a list? Any disadvantage of CIC over the other option?

So fyi in case you're looking to buy a laptop/tablet, windows is de facto not ok (unless ur ok with using windows 8, or I'm missing something).
from the handbook:
"Laptops:

• Mac: OS 10.6 and above with an Intel processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB hard drive with at least 1 GB of free space
  • PC: Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 with at least a 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB hard drive with at least 1 GB of free space
Note: ExamSoft does not support Tablet or Convertible devices other than the Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3 with Windows 8, and with an external keyboard required. The Surface RT is NOT supported. Windows 10 is NOT supported.

iPad:

• iPad 2 or later model with iOS 6, 7 or 8. Requires an external keyboard.
"

So fyi in case you're looking to buy a laptop/tablet, windows is de facto not ok (unless ur ok with using windows 8, or I'm missing something).
from the handbook:
"Laptops:

• Mac: OS 10.6 and above with an Intel processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB hard drive with at least 1 GB of free space
  • PC: Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 with at least a 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB hard drive with at least 1 GB of free space
Note: ExamSoft does not support Tablet or Convertible devices other than the Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3 with Windows 8, and with an external keyboard required. The Surface RT is NOT supported. Windows 10 is NOT supported.

iPad:

• iPad 2 or later model with iOS 6, 7 or 8. Requires an external keyboard.
"

I use examsoft on Windows 10 and on an iPad pro? Works fine.