2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not apply in the last cycle, but Harvard is potentially the highest reach school for me for this upcoming cycle. I say potentially because there's a chance I might not apply at all...

Now, to the point, I know that Harvard gets a ton of well qualified applicants who apply early every year. The problem I am facing is that I am a non-trad applicant and my original plan was to take the MCAT in May 19 (score released June 20). However, the more I study, the less confident I feel about the MCAT, so I am thinking about postponing it to at least June 1 (score released July 6) or even June 19 (score released July 18). I am trying my best to stick to May 19th schedule, but with school final coming up along with hospital work, postponing may be needed. Would I be too late for applying to Harvard if my score is sent on 7/18 and my application is complete past mid-July? What are the chances of getting an interview from Harvard when your app is complete in July? (My primary should be complete by no later than 6/25, but verification may take some time). I would love some insight from last year's applicants. Thank you so much in advance.
I'm another non-trad. I took my MCAT June 18th, so my score was back mid-July and then I submitted secondaries. However, my school took forever for the committee letter so I technically wasn't complete until 9/1 -- Got an II to Harvard and multiple other top 10 schools!

My advice: Take the MCAT when you feel ready. I don't think mid-July puts you at that much of a disadvantage, and there are still plenty of IIs to go around!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm another non-trad. I took my MCAT June 18th, so my score was back mid-July and then I submitted secondaries. However, my school took forever for the committee letter so I technically wasn't complete until 9/1 -- Got an II to Harvard and multiple other top 10 schools!

My advice: Take the MCAT when you feel ready. I don't think mid-July puts you at that much of a disadvantage, and there are still plenty of IIs to go around!
Thank you so much for your kind words. This is very encouraging and I sent your message to my friend who's going through the same dilemma. Best of lucks to you!

Just to piggyback on the above message, I was also complete at Harvard late - after the summer - and still winded up getting an II from there! Albeit late in the cycle, but still. There's hope! Do what you need to put your best foot forward!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to add my two cents. I took the July 22, 2016 MCAT and submitted my secondary by Labor Day weekend. I interviewed in December and was accepted. I did not feel disadvantaged for applying later than usual. Other schools do have rolling admissions and you will take a hit for applying later, but Harvard does not fall in this category. Ultimately, you have to know yourself, make a plan, balance your other commitments, and just go for it. Another note, since Harvard holistically reviews your application, do not rush your personal statement and secondary essays. Start writing those now as I am sure the prompts are already online.

Thank you everybody your response! I will do my best to crack the MCAT!

Did all accepted students receive the email this morning from the office of diversity? Or was it exclusive only to students who are disadvantaged

Did all accepted students receive the email this morning from the office of diversity? Or was it exclusive only to students who are disadvantaged
No, I didn't get anything.

Question for current students, how generous is the financial aid and are they open to matching aid from another highly ranked school? My main concern is that need based aid would be difficult to get if my parental income is too high to qualify. I am about 92.7% sure that I will matriculate, financial aid is the only variable left in my decision.

does anyone know what the last deadline to apply for deferring matriculation would be? Some other school's are April 30th and May 1st. I'm waiting to hear back regarding funding for a fellowship overseas and may not hear back until the end of April.

Would it be alright to post my stats here to see how I compare to students accepted and wait-listed? I'm planning on applying next summer and I want to see how I stack up.

Or, alternatively, PM someone who was wait-listed or accepted? Sorry about the separate posts!

Members don't see this ad :)
bump on the deferment deadline! Also when do we hear back about finaid?

bump on the deferment deadline! Also when do we hear back about finaid?
I don't know for sure about deferments, reach out to the admissions office, they respond to emails pretty quickly now that you've been accepted. I'd expect you'd need to let them know by April 30, so that a student can be accepted off the waitlist to fill your deferred spot, but I'm not positive about that. Obviously, sooner rather than later. If you're waiting to hear back from a fellowship tell them that, they can work with you to ensure you keep your seat unless you get the fellowship.

Financial aid will come in mid-April if you've already sent in all of your information by April 1. Reminder that you need to fill out both the FAFSA and the CSS profile with you and your parents information if you intend to get aid beyond federal student loans.

A very general question, but those of you heavily considering other schools over Harvard, mind sharing what factors you are weighing? Or are there specifics about Harvard from your perspective that attract you to the Pathways program (despite a "larger" class size, relatively new and condensed curriculum, etc)?

Last edited:
A very general question, but those of you heavily considering other schools over Harvard, mind sharing what factors you are weighing? Or are there specifics about Harvard from your perspective that attract you to the Pathways program (despite a "larger" class size, relatively new and condensed curriculum, etc)?

Financial Aid. I just got my package. I have a more enticing offer from another school (~$200k difference) and will sadly be withdrawing. Congrats to everyone, and good luck to those on the WL!

Financial Aid. I just got my package. I have a more enticing offer from another school (~$200k difference) and will sadly be withdrawing. Congrats to everyone, and good luck to those on the WL!
from Pathways?

Hi everyone. I am pre-writing secondaries (super early, I know, but I will be out of the country May-mid July, so trying to get things done now). Anyhow, for the first prompt ("If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.") how in-depth was your explanation of your gap year(s) activities?

I briefly wrote about my post-graduation travel plans, and then a description of the job I will have once I return to the States in July (this job started as an internship last summer, and I was hired part-time this semester, so I feel as if I can adequately describe what I will be doing despite not actually working full-time yet). But I'm only at ~700 characters (with spaces)...I imagine this is sufficient since I'm not someone who has taken several years off between UG and med school, but just want to make sure they aren't expecting more in-depth information.

I realize this is perhaps not the best secondary to pre-write (since I haven't actually started my gap year yet), but I want to at least have a rough draft that I can tweak.

I was skimming through the thread, and didn't see anyone addressing this, so my apologies if something similar was already discussed. Thanks in advanced.

That sounds totally fine, mine was well under a thousand characters as well! Also, I pre-wrote mine before my gap year started, and used future tense for activities that started after I submitted secondaries.

Hi everyone. I am pre-writing secondaries (super early, I know, but I will be out of the country May-mid July, so trying to get things done now). Anyhow, for the first prompt ("If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.") how in-depth was your explanation of your gap year(s) activities?

I briefly wrote about my post-graduation travel plans, and then a description of the job I will have once I return to the States in July (this job started as an internship last summer, and I was hired part-time this semester, so I feel as if I can adequately describe what I will be doing despite not actually working full-time yet). But I'm only at ~700 characters (with spaces)...I imagine this is sufficient since I'm not someone who has taken several years off between UG and med school, but just want to make sure they aren't expecting more in-depth information.

I realize this is perhaps not the best secondary to pre-write (since I haven't actually started my gap year yet), but I want to at least have a rough draft that I can tweak.

I was skimming through the thread, and didn't see anyone addressing this, so my apologies if something similar was already discussed. Thanks in advanced.

That sounds totally fine, mine was well under a thousand characters as well! Also, I pre-wrote mine before my gap year started, and used future tense for activities that started after I submitted secondaries.

Great, thank you!

Any chance of getting off of the waitlist? :/

There's definitely a chance! Last year some of my friends were accepted off the waitlist in May. They reject a lot of people post-interview, which means that if you're on the waitlist you're still being seriously considered for any spot that might open up.

New HMS music video is out!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Does HMS provide or recommend tablets- especially for MS1s - or do most students get by with old fashion print materials?

From the threads on X v. Y, seems like harvards going to have a fair amount of movement!

As I continue to check this forum and my email, I can't help but feel like a textbook case of optimism bias. Too bad studies show this bias is hard to eliminate.

Does anyone on this forum know if there has been any waitlist movement at all for MD (Pathways)?

Does anyone on this forum know if there has been any waitlist movement at all for MD (Pathways)?

Hmm just looking at when they first reported in the last years, I am not sure we will hear back anymore.

Last edited:
Hmm just looking at how we are so many weekdays after traffic day, I am not sure we will hear back anymore. They are likely at quota. Honored to have been put on the waitlist and time to start the next chapter in my life!

Last year they were accepting people off the waitlist through late May! So there's still some hope, but I totally understand wanting to move on and get excited about where you're planning to go to school!

Last year they were accepting people off the waitlist through late May! So there's still some hope, but I totally understand wanting to move on and get excited about where you're planning to go to school!

Ya I saw. Their first acceptance was this week last year and the year before.

Last edited:
Ya I saw. Their first acceptance was this week last year and the year before.

I think it's highly dependent on when the admissions committee can/does actually meet since they review everybody on the waitlist again. I find it hard to believe that they don't go to waitlist at all because they don't over-accept by that much compared to other schools and there's no reason to believe their yield suddenly jumped a whole lot this year.

This might be a random place to post this but I am looking for someone to take over my apartment in July and it's a 10 minute walk to HMS. Message me if you want more details.

Question for current students how hard was it adjusting to living in a dorm also car or no car? Thanks in advance.

(Question answered)

Last edited:
I may withdraw so there is still hope for those on the WL!

Hello! Quick question to those of you who applied to HMS this past cycle (or any cycle): for recommendation letters, does your research lab PI count as a science professor? I didn't take a formal class from him but I did get course credit. I'm just curious if their policy on getting letter of recommendations from 2 science professors is really strict.

Thank you! :)

Hello! Quick question to those of you who applied to HMS this past cycle (or any cycle): for recommendation letters, does your research lab PI count as a science professor? I didn't take a formal class from him but I did get course credit. I'm just curious if their policy on getting letter of recommendations from 2 science professors is really strict.

Thank you! :)

I would say no. If I was in your shoes I would go on the safe side and get a letter of recommendation from a professor whose class you took. If you are still wondering I would call the admissions office and ask.

Hello everyone,
So I am applying next cycle to Harvard(NP), but I wanted to ask if research experience is important. I do not have any research experience except to the public health research I just started this summer. Do you think this would hurt my application terribly? I am not worried about my gpa, mcat and other ECs, however.

Hello everyone,
So I am applying next cycle to Harvard(NP), but I wanted to ask if research experience is important. I do not have any research experience except to the public health research I just started this summer. Do you think this would hurt my application terribly? I am not worried about my gpa, mcat and other ECs, however.

I do believe it will hurt your application if you don't do any bench research however at least you are doing some type of research. All of the current students don't do bench research for their scholarly project. Some do research along the lines of what you are researching so just make sure you jot it down on your extracurricular section. Any how, there is no harm in submitting your app to this school.