2014-2015 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I
Me too. Interviewer told me Mid-Feb through March should be the first wave of acceptances...
i interviewed October 31st and was told mid February as well, but I actually received my acceptance via fed ex today. So I guess they are sending out acceptances starting now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted all of my materials last week. How long did it take you all to hear back from admissions after submitting?

interviewed oct. 30th, accepted yesterday. My interviewer told me acceptances would start to be sent out mid January, I think this cycle they are going earlier than they have in previous ones. Best of luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are all your guys' stats who got accepted if you don't mind?

interviewed oct. 30th, accepted yesterday. My interviewer told me acceptances would start to be sent out mid January, I think this cycle they are going earlier than they have in previous ones. Best of luck everyone.

Congrats!

Can you post your stats please? Also, did they notify you via email or snail mail?

I submitted all of my materials last week. How long did it take you all to hear back from admissions after submitting?
I was wondering the same thing.... also how do you know if the school recieved your entire application and materials - do they send a complete email?

Interview invite today! Does anyone know if they do any interviews in the Baltimore/DC area?

Have there been any more acceptances lately? It's interesting that a couple of people were accepted two weeks ago, even though the website says decisions aren't made until late March. I don't know whether to be expecting news soon or not for another couple of months.

Hi guys, I'm considering my choices between sackler, touro Ny, and NYCOM. I feel hesitant about going abroad but sackler honestly seems like a much more solid than option here. Which should I pick?

I feel like a few years in Tel Aviv may be very fun as well.

can admitted people please post stats :) greatly appreciated

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I'm considering my choices between sackler, touro Ny, and NYCOM. I feel hesitant about going abroad but sackler honestly seems like a much more solid than option here. Which should I pick?

I feel like a few years in Tel Aviv may be very fun as well.

I'm in the same boat as you. MSUCOM vs Sackler. Although the DO's are joining with the MDs in 2019 so I feel like that distinction will matter less. However, there are increasing medical schools in the US and the whole DO joining thing will make residency spots even more competitive once we get out

Hey guys, I was wondering if Canadians have any trouble getting competitive residencies in the U.S? Since they not only have IMG status, but also have the visa stuff to deal with that their American counterparts at Sackler do not. Do most Canadians end up getting a J1? What do they after for the 2 year home country requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian MS2 at Sackler here. In the past, Canadians students have had no trouble in obtaining excellent US residencies. Some programs will sponsor you for H2B visa (a long and expensive process) and some will not. In any case, you will not have a problem getting a US residency because you are a Canadian but you may have to go on a J1 visa which means returning to Canada following residency for 2 years although there are some loopholes and ways to have that requirement waved by working for a couple years in a designated "underserved" area. In short, if you are Canadian and considering coming to Sackler, it is certainly another difficulty to consider but as long as you don't expect to get a residency in Canada, it shouldn't be a reason not to come. 1/4 of my class is Canadian and we are all super happy here with only a couple students planning on taking the Canadian boards in an attempt to get a Canadian residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all! I have an interview for Sackler coming up at the end of the month! Any tips from those who have had their interview already?

I have a question about the electives in the U.S. Does Sackler have exchange agreements with schools in the US? I just noticed some schools in the U.S charge tuition for international visiting students so I was wondering if you still pay Sackler tuition at the same time? Is sorting out electives a relatively painless process, or is there a lot of bureaucratic hassles involved?

Im super excited - just got an interview invite! Does anyone know the acceptance rate once interviewed? I'm doing my interview at their office in NY next week - does anyone have any advice in terms of the interview?

Im super excited - just got an interview invite! Does anyone know the acceptance rate once interviewed? I'm doing my interview at their office in NY next week - does anyone have any advice in terms of the interview?
Mine was pretty informal. The interviewer was very down to earth and friendly. Just make sure you have solid reasons for wanting to go to Sackler/abroad and show that you can handle doing it. Good luck!!

25 mcat. I've been eying this school for awhile, but should I even apply with such a low score? Does anyone know of current students who got in with such scores? Thanks

Accepted today via fed ex. Interviewed early December for anyone who is interested.

Accepted today via fed ex. Interviewed early December for anyone who is interested.
Accepted today as well. Interviewed 1st week of December.

3.3 uGPA, 3.6 grad GPA, 32 MCAT

Last edited:
Is it worth applying this late in the game?

Stats: GPA 3.6, MCAT 27.

I have some solid extracurriculars and generally interview well.

What do you guys say?

Is it worth applying this late in the game?

Stats: GPA 3.6, MCAT 27.

I have some solid extracurriculars and generally interview well.

What do you guys say?
Yes you should apply if you want to go to Sackler. I just interviewed, and my interviewer actually told me, they hold onto spots for later applicants, since the deadline isn't till May.
Good Luck!

Hey, so I was placed on the wait list earlier this week. Did anyone else get wait listed?

Hey, so I was placed on the wait list earlier this week. Did anyone else get wait listed?
I got waitlisted as well and they asked for a letter of intent by the end of the week if I was still interested in the school.

Are these all December interviews or January too?

I interviewed in late December.

Has anyone else who interviewed in early November still not heard any decisions yet? If it's rolling admissions, shouldn't earlier interviews hear back first?

Does anyone know what type of research opportunities are available for Sackler students? I understand that in order to match into a good residency program, one will need to conduct medical research and attain a given level of authorship in a peer-reviwed journal. Will it be hard to secure a position in a research lab in the U.S. considering the school is out of the country?

Does anyone know what type of research opportunities are available for Sackler students? I understand that in order to match into a good residency program, one will need to conduct medical research and attain a given level of authorship in a peer-reviwed journal. Will it be hard to secure a position in a research lab in the U.S. considering the school is out of the country?

Many consider the summer between MS1 and MS2 to be the best opportunity to make connections with researchers in the US and contribute to their work in hopes of inclusion in publications. Then, while back in Israel, you can still continue to collaborate with the PI by helping with data analysis and composition of papers. At Sackler, this summer break is roughly only 7 weeks long, but it is still valuable time to start networking. Of course, many students also find PI's to work with at hospitals around the Tel Aviv area which are just as capable of helping you get authorship in a renowned peer-reviewed journal.

Coming from the perspective of a current first-year, keeping up with the transition to life in Tel Aviv and the work load of medical school is plenty to work through alone. It isn't until now, with 4 month left of my first year, that I have begun to invest more time seeking research work both in Israel and while at home this summer. Main message: focus on school first and then branch out to extracurriculars :D

Many consider the summer between MS1 and MS2 to be the best opportunity to make connections with researchers in the US and contribute to their work in hopes of inclusion in publications. Then, while back in Israel, you can still continue to collaborate with the PI by helping with data analysis and composition of papers. At Sackler, this summer break is roughly only 7 weeks long, but it is still valuable time to start networking. Of course, many students also find PI's to work with at hospitals around the Tel Aviv area which are just as capable of helping you get authorship in a renowned peer-reviewed journal.

Coming from the perspective of a current first-year, keeping up with the transition to life in Tel Aviv and the work load of medical school is plenty to work through alone. It isn't until now, with 4 month left of my first year, that I have begun to invest more time seeking research work both in Israel and while at home this summer. Main message: focus on school first and then branch out to extracurriculars :D

Thank you for the very informative reply. As an MS1 can you tell me a little bit more about your experience at Sackler? What do you believe are some pros and cons about the program? Just to give you a little background, I am currently waitlisted at a Florida school and interviewing at Downstate in a couple of weeks. However, I was recently accepted into the Sackler program, and find their match list to be very impressive. I know several doctors who graduated from the program, and deeply respect them both as physicians and as individuals. I understand that Sackler graduates have had much success in the past, however, do you find that it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain competitive residency positions considering the changing medical landscape?

Interviewed in October and was waitlisted a few weeks ago. Some people have said they sometimes never get back to waitlisted students. Is this true?

Interviewed in October and was waitlisted a few weeks ago. Some people have said they sometimes never get back to waitlisted students. Is this true?

I've read threads from previous years where peeps have stated that they got off the waitlist, even as late as june/july..

I've read threads from previous years where peeps have stated that they got off the waitlist, even as late as june/july..
Yeah, I've definitely seen ppl getting in off of the waitlist in past threads. I would think that a lot of ppl would get accepted off of the waitlist

Anyone deciding between Sackler, Technion, and MSIH?

Yeah, I've definitely seen ppl getting in off of the waitlist in past threads. I would think that a lot of ppl would get accepted off of the waitlist
I've also seen a lot of people come off wait-list very late in the cycle.

Just accepted today 3/21/15 via Fed Ex! Interviewed early December.
Best of luck to everyone applying:)!!!

I interviewed in December. Just called now and they said a decision was made and I should hear within a week or two.