2016-2017 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goobie1892

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread to help any Sackler applicants with questions regarding the application process/interview or anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting this thread to help any Sackler applicants with questions regarding the application process/interview or anything else.
@WedgeDawg please relocate to school-specific forum

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed in Florida yet? I have one in January and want to know what to expect

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

submitted 2 weeks ago. wondering how long it usually takes to hear back?

A friend received an interview within the first month of applying. I've been waiting around 2.5 months and haven't recieved any news yet.

Reactions: 1 users
A friend received an interview within the first month of applying. I've been waiting around 2.5 months and haven't recieved any news yet.

do you know how long your friend waited after the interview to receive a final response, if they got one?

I had to email them to get an update. I recommend you do cause when I checked they didn't have my LOR and a day after I sent them in I got a reply for an II

I had to email them to get an update. I recommend you do cause when I checked they didn't have my LOR and a day after I sent them in I got a reply for an II

great idea, thank you! :) congrats

How much of a disadvantage would it be applying as a Canadian? I'm concerned about visas and residency and wondering if it'd be better to apply to a DO school.

How much of a disadvantage would it be applying as a Canadian? I'm concerned about visas and residency and wondering if it'd be better to apply to a DO school.

The school states they accept North America students. I don't think they bias towards Canadians or Americans one way or the other so they're shouldn't be a disadaventge for you. As for visas, honestly don't know. I'm assuming we will have to fill out some paperwork once we get accepted, but can't imagine it to be too much of a hassle.

Residency between sackler/technion/MISH between DO has been a huge debate with no solid answer one way or the other. I think it depends what you're looking for. Do you have a strong tie to Israel? Would you love to live there for 4 years and gain experience with a different perspective? Do you mind being set back in certain aspects you wouldn't otherwise by staying in America? What's your main goal? Do you want to be trained as a DO or MD at the end of the day?

do you know how long your friend waited after the interview to receive a final response, if they got one?

Sorry for not replying before, I thought I did. The last time I spoke to him he was still waiting. Im still waiting for my II and it's been like 4 months since completion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone in this cycle heard back about acceptance? I interviewed in early October and have not heard anything.

Has anyone in this cycle heard back about acceptance? I interviewed in early October and have not heard anything.
I haven't heard anything either and interviewed in November :(
Also the website says acceptances start in February so might have to wait until then

i received a rejection pre-II in the mail this month. thanks sackler!

is it too late to apply here to have a reasonable chance at getting in?

do you mind sharing stats?

I won't give out specific, but my app as a whole was fairly strong. My weak point was my mcat tho. I think they care about that most. So if you have a strong mcat score I would definitely apply.

I have an interview with Technion in February! I prefer Technion anyway since I'm very research oriented. How about you?
Actually same here. I want to hopefully do the md/phd with them. I'm interviewing mid February. If you're there that time we should meet up, I'd love to meet a potential classmate!

Actually same here. I want to hopefully do the md/phd with them. I'm interviewing mid February. If you're there that time we should meet up, I'd love to meet a potential classmate!

Yeah February 14th! PM me if that's the same date as you! :)

...I was accepted a couple of weeks ago...excited! anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
The school states they accept North America students. I don't think they bias towards Canadians or Americans one way or the other so they're shouldn't be a disadaventge for you. As for visas, honestly don't know. I'm assuming we will have to fill out some paperwork once we get accepted, but can't imagine it to be too much of a hassle.

Residency between sackler/technion/MISH between DO has been a huge debate with no solid answer one way or the other. I think it depends what you're looking for. Do you have a strong tie to Israel? Would you love to live there for 4 years and gain experience with a different perspective? Do you mind being set back in certain aspects you wouldn't otherwise by staying in America? What's your main goal? Do you want to be trained as a DO or MD at the end of the day?

Yeah, thats where i'm at in my head. Debating between DO and Sackler. The DO school that I have the best chance of going to will cost 450K CAD, a significant amount more than Sackler. As well it would be DO and i'd much rather be an MD. However, the almost guarantee of residency is worth a lot as I don't want to waste 4 years for nothing. I also need to research which residencies don't accept DO's as I don't want to be locked out of certain residencies if it turns out I like them and it seems Sackler graduates get into pretty much every residency. I'd like to return to Canada after all is said and done. I have a 3.64 GPA, 513 MCAT, and am a practicing pharmacist if it matters.

Yeah, thats where i'm at in my head. Debating between DO and Sackler. The DO school that I have the best chance of going to will cost 450K CAD, a significant amount more than Sackler. As well it would be DO and i'd much rather be an MD. However, the almost guarantee of residency is worth a lot as I don't want to waste 4 years for nothing. I also need to research which residencies don't accept DO's as I don't want to be locked out of certain residencies if it turns out I like them and it seems Sackler graduates get into pretty much every residency. I'd like to return to Canada after all is said and done. I have a 3.64 GPA, 513 MCAT, and am a practicing pharmacist if it matters.

Which DO schools have you been accepted to so far? Also what type of medicine are you planning to practice?

Which DO schools have you been accepted to so far? Also what type of medicine are you planning to practice?

Haven't been accepted anywhere. Applying this upcoming cycle. I don't know what type i'd like to practice and think it's very difficult to accurately know until you've done some rotations. However based on my current work I think i'd like to do Psychiatry, dermatology, or radiology or pediatrics (But thats more theory than practice as if it's similar to pharmacy it's just family medicine except having to memorize different doses for children).

Haven't been accepted anywhere. Applying this upcoming cycle. I don't know what type i'd like to practice and think it's very difficult to accurately know until you've done some rotations. However based on my current work I think i'd like to do Psychiatry, dermatology, or radiology or pediatrics (But thats more theory than practice as if it's similar to pharmacy it's just family medicine except having to memorize different doses for children).

Honestly with your stats and outside work, I highly recommend applying to US MD schools, you have a great chance to get in some pretty well established places. Furthermore the more competitive the residency is (Peds, Derm, Surgery, Etc.) you'll want to stay in America if you can. Obviously you can still get into them if you go to Sackler/Technion, but you better kill the USLME.

Honestly with your stats and outside work, I highly recommend applying to US MD schools, you have a great chance to get in some pretty well established places. Furthermore the more competitive the residency is (Peds, Derm, Surgery, Etc.) you'll want to stay in America if you can. Obviously you can still get into them if you go to Sackler/Technion, but you better kill the USLME.

idk, most people here tell me I don't really have a shot at US MD schools since i'm Canadian. Very few accept more than 3 or 4 international students and my GPA seems too low to be one of them. Sackler also seems like the students have a better collaborative mindset as opposed to the uber competitive US MD schools students. I'm tired of that attitude.

I don't mean to sound arrogant but i'm not worried about doing well on the USMLE. I've always been a good test taker and have a lot of knowledge already thanks to being a pharmacist. Maybe not well enough to do derm or something highly competitive but something middle of the road. I just want something I enjoy, don't care about prestige.

idk, most people here tell me I don't really have a shot at US MD schools since i'm Canadian. Very few accept more than 3 or 4 international students and my GPA seems too low to be one of them. Sackler also seems like the students have a better collaborative mindset as opposed to the uber competitive US MD schools students. I'm tired of that attitude.

I don't mean to sound arrogant but i'm not worried about doing well on the USMLE. I've always been a good test taker and have a lot of knowledge already thanks to being a pharmacist. Maybe not well enough to do derm or something highly competitive but something middle of the road. I just want something I enjoy, don't care about prestige.

My bad, I forgot you're Canadian, I was comparing your stats to other US students. Then seems like you already know Sackler is a perfect match for you. All my friend that go there say that the support from your fellow classmates is one of the main highlights. Like you said it's hard to find that in American schools, that is actually a huge reason I also want to attend school in Israel. Anyways, you'll be a super competitive applicant for them and have a wonderful chance to get it. Really wish the best for you!

Was anyone else put on a waitlist and asked to write a letter of intent?

Last edited:
My bad, I forgot you're Canadian, I was comparing your stats to other US students. Then seems like you already know Sackler is a perfect match for you. All my friend that go there say that the support from your fellow classmates is one of the main highlights. Like you said it's hard to find that in American schools, that is actually a huge reason I also want to attend school in Israel. Anyways, you'll be a super competitive applicant for them and have a wonderful chance to get it. Really wish the best for you!

Yeah it feels bad. I wasn't even close to competitive for Canadian schools. Have you been accepted? Residency is my biggest fear but i'm also worried about the culture shock since Israels are pretty pushy. Trying to decide if Sackler would be better than DO or Ireland. After researching it seems like Sackler would have the best quality of life.

Early November
did you get invited to a facebook group or get more information about anything?
Just curious because I still haven't heard back and I interviewed mid November. I don't know if I should email them to see my status or not

did you get invited to a facebook group or get more information about anything?
Just curious because I still haven't heard back and I interviewed mid November. I don't know if I should email them to see my status or not
nope... just the FedEx letter.

Is it too late to apply here for a reasonable chance at admission?

Was this, "Only a small number of candidates have been placed in this active category" mentioned on everyone's waitlist email?
I'm wondering if everyone that is not accepted post-interview is put on the same wait list.
-Yep, I got the same message.
-Also anyone know if Sackler is responsive to receiving an update letter/another LOR after responding to their letter of intent for the waitlist?

Is it too late to apply here for a reasonable chance at admission?

I think it's probably still worth a shot. I know someone who applied in the spring a few years ago and was accepted.