2023-2024 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone (accepted in March) received info regarding need-based scholarship?

Just withdrew - good luck everyone!

(Posting this info in the name of transparency for future SDN lurkers; WashU grants full-tuition merit-based scholarships, and anything beyond full-tuition is based on need. Source: was given a full-tuition scholarship here and told that's how I would be able to secure a full COA scholarship)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We expecting WL movement in April?
On last year’s thread there was a small amount around April 27th, but most of it happened in May. I don’t think any WL movement was reported after June 1 but feel free to check to be sure.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
What happens if you hold on to more than four acceptances past 4/15?

Reactions: 1 user
What happens if you hold on to more than four acceptances past 4/15?
I believe the 4/15 guideline is more of a recommendation from the AAMC, not a hard deadline. You will have to narrow your acceptances down to one school and select "Plan to Enroll" by 4/30 though

Is anyone else with an A still waiting to hear about merit aid/scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone reported first movement on last thursday of April last year. U know washu loves their thursdays
Yeah last week of April was the first WL movement last year, though most happened in May

However, one thing I noticed is that WashU liked to significantly change their post-II processes from year to year without telling anybody. Gotta keep the pre-meds on their toes I guess

Yeah last week of April was the first WL movement last year, though most happened in May

However, one thing I noticed is that WashU liked to significantly change their post-II processes from year to year without telling anybody. Gotta keep the pre-meds on their toes I guess
Yeah I have honestly no clue what to expect. Looks like there was decent movement some years and very little other years.

Exactly what I expected which is completely logical and fair, and also why I’m not putting much hope in my Wash U WL.
Unfortunately I'm not in any position to negotiate/be picky about tuition :( and i would still give up my firstborn to attend this school

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I assume WL A’s don’t get full tuition merit or the like. Is that a fair assumption?

I'm assuming that need-based aid is available to all regardless of WL status, but yeah, merit aid may be reduced.

However, their average debt is still very low - lower than I'd expect if they gave all WL'd matriculants diddly-squat - so there's still a chance. I vaguely remember hearing that some WL'd students got merit aid in previous years as well. I think we just have to trust the process and hope for the best. I have my fingers crossed for us all.

I'm assuming that need-based aid is available to all regardless of WL status, but yeah, merit aid may be reduced.

However, their average debt is still very low - lower than I'd expect if they gave all WL'd matriculants diddly-squat - so there's still a chance. I vaguely remember hearing that some WL'd students got merit aid in previous years as well. I think we just have to trust the process and hope for the best. I have my fingers crossed for us all.
Remember the average debt is an average. At Hopkins I think the average debt is about 100k. For me, it will be over 300, which makes sense because for every two zero debt people there needs to be one 300k person on average. So yes, average debt at Wash U may be low, but doesn't mean your particular debt will be.

We are all very fortunate to be even having these discussions/decisions!

Hi! Just curious, has anyone been monitoring the amount of people in either the accepted groupme or facebook page? Just trying to see if any waitlist movement might happen before May haha

Hi! Just curious, has anyone been monitoring the amount of people in either the accepted groupme or facebook page? Just trying to see if any waitlist movement might happen before May haha
Also wondering this^ any movement?

I already sent an LOI here a while back, but I just saw their follow-up email about how we should send one if this school is our top choice. Should I send another one to emphasize my continued interest or would that be overkill?

I already sent an LOI here a while back, but I just saw their follow-up email about how we should send one if this school is our top choice. Should I send another one to emphasize my continued interest or would that be overkill?
Probably overkill unless you have a substantial update

Probably overkill unless you have a substantial update

I respectfully disagree. I do not think is overkill.

Also, a Letter of Intent (LOI) is not an update letter.
The main purpose of the LOI is to state that you will attend this university (assuming this is your top choice) over all others. If accepted, you would withdraw other medical school applications and attend.

Also, several schools encourage sending an updated LOI. In other words, my understanding is that a LOI dated 4/30 or 5/1 bears more weight than a LOI dated in early April.

The main purpose of the LOI is to state that you will attend this university (assuming this is your top choice) over all others. If accepted, you would withdraw other medical school applications and attend.

Also, several schools encourage sending an updated LOI. In other words, my understanding is that a LOI dated 4/30 or 5/1 bears more weight than a LOI dated in early April.
Damn u think? I'd expect that a letter dated in April might have more weight than one dated in Jan or Feb or something (and even then, its prob marginal), but I seriously doubt that there's a huge difference between sending one early April vs late April

thanks to everyone for their thoughts! Would you consider a pre-print a substantial update I should include? If not, what content would the LOI contain? Just a simple few sentences that I will attend and reiterate my reasons?

Would you send another LOI if you have no significant updates?

I sent one in Feb, but would like to reaffirm my interest. Perhaps I should send a short and sweet letter to confirm my interest?

Maybe include a mp4 of me crying and begging? (kidding but only barely)

• Haha
Just withdrew my A! For transparency I received a 50% merit scholarship and an extra ~23K in need based aid. Good luck to everyone

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my A as well! I received a full tuition scholarship that I believe was all need-based.

Just got the call off the WL. Interviewed in November so this has been a long time coming.

Hoping for more good news for y'all!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just got the call off the WL. Interviewed in November so this has been a long time coming.

Hoping for more good news for y'all!!
Congrats! Must feel amazing after all this time - Fellow November interviee here 😂

Really hoping that WL movement isn't over yet but I'm a little scared seeing just 1 person on here get off so far

If anyone else has access to an accepted groupme or facebook group, could you please let us know about any change in the numbers recently? Thanks in advance 🙏

The facebook group is at 220 members (but a lot of the members are current M1s, M2s, etc.) There are still people in there that I personally know selected other schools. The groupme is currently at 111 people with some M1s and M2s as well. About 20 people left near or during the April 30th deadline. There are definitely some people in the class not in the groupme and facebook groups though. For those waiting on WL activity, I unfortunately do not think you can read into the numbers one way or the other for either group. Sending positive vibes to everyone waiting for WL activity <3