2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edit: nvm... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about schools committing to matching scholarships, but at temple and mount Sinai we were told to "let them know" about aid we received elsewhere if that was a consideration.

Reactions: 1 user
So I called them today because I'm not good at being patient. I asked when I could expect to hear back and she said within the next few weeks. Granted I only gave her my first name, and the whole call lasted 20 seconds. Maybe this tells us something or maybe it's a generic answer given to inpatient people like me. :lol:
I emailed them an update a few weeks ago. At the end of their confirmation to me, they said something along the lines of
"We have received over 8000 applications this year, are still continuing our review, and hope to have more info for you within the coming weeks".

Whatever that means...

Ps. I've set a record! Haven't checked my portal since last Thursday! Although I couldn't fully resist, and am on sdn for the first time since Thursday....

Hopefully that letter will take me by surprise any day now..

Reactions: 2 users
If only DGSOM gave acceptances based on the number of times you've refreshed your application status page.. :angelic:

Reactions: 5 users
"Letter sent" status as of last night!! And I interviewed in January. I'm hoping this is good news!

Reactions: 6 users
Me too! Interviewed in Feb. I've read countless times how "letter sent" is good news but I just can't believe it until I get a physical letter. So excited and honored to (hopefully) join you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats guys!!

I hope that they're not done with acceptances for the march 15th deadline but I kinda feel like they are. Oh wells.

Me too! Interviewed in Feb. I've read countless times how "letter sent" is good news but I just can't believe it until I get a physical letter. So excited and honored to (hopefully) join you guys!
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

I just finished The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, so I'm especially invested in your success hahaha. Best of luck!!!

And CONGRATS to all the new acceptances!!!!

so if we interviewed before feb and havent heard anything, does that mean we're out of the running for out-right acceptances? when do we get some sort of notification/decision, whether that be a waitlist or rejection?

Do you know what time last night your status changed to "letter sent"?

I wish I did! I know when I checked at 2/3pm that day it was blank but when I checked again that night (around 10pm) it was there!

DONT TEASE ME LIKE THIS AHHHHH

edit: so sorry for bumping this forum w/ useless posts. Interviewed December if this helps!
:rolleyes: they went back to December? Thanks for giving us crazies hope again lol

DONT TEASE ME LIKE THIS AHHHHH

edit: so sorry for bumping this forum w/ useless posts. Interviewed December if this helps!

I know how you feel! Stalked my mailman today :angelic: Nothing yet...and I'm in norcal

Reactions: 1 users
Question to current UCLA students -- @catzzz88 , @alt12345 , @Juan Solo , @lostintranscrip -- are there any opportunities for students to get involved with teaching? Such as PBL tutoring, anatomy TAing, even teaching/mentoring local high school students, etc? Some schools have medical education pathways, which I don't believe UCLA has, but can students still get involved with medical education in some capacity? I'm very passionate about teaching and would like to maximize my involvement with it in medical school!

Question to current UCLA students -- @catzzz88 , @alt12345 , @Juan Solo , @lostintranscrip -- are there any opportunities for students to get involved with teaching? Such as PBL tutoring, anatomy TAing, even teaching/mentoring local high school students, etc? Some schools have medical education pathways, which I don't believe UCLA has, but can students still get involved with medical education in some capacity? I'm very passionate about teaching and would like to maximize my involvement with it in medical school!

Yes to all of the above. Medical students can TA anatomy for first years, TA class material, lecture step 1 material, TA/lead PBL, TA/lead doctoring and clinical skills. They can also teach work shops such as intubation, suturing, central lines, etc. There are a lot of avenues to teach and tutor summer programs at Ucla too, the sky is the limit and it depends on what you are into.

Hope this helps!

Yes to all of the above. Medical students can TA anatomy for first years, TA class material, lecture step 1 material, TA/lead PBL, TA/lead doctoring and clinical skills. They can also teach work shops such as intubation, suturing, central lines, etc. There are a lot of avenues to teach and tutor summer programs at Ucla too, the sky is the limit and it depends on what you are into.

Hope this helps!

Ahhhhh phenomenal!!! I am so incredibly glad to hear that. Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response!!

so if we dont hear back by today, would it make sense that they've likely offered at least enough acceptances to fill their class, and thus, won't notify anybody else of a decision until may? also, is there a FB page for accepted students?

Did anyone else also get the pre-interview rejection email today sent at 3 AM PST ? I need folks to commiserate with! (Actually, I'm not horribly broken up, as it was pretty obvious this was going to happen.) :)

Also got the "no thank you" email this morning. (Post-secondary, I didn't get an II). Glad they sent this rejection later in the cycle, because if I got one back in the fall I would have legitimately been heartbroken. Guess they didn't like my Diddy Riese haiku. :(

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back post-interview! :luck:

Anyone else still not rejected post secondary pre II? They're obviously done interviewing, I'm just curious why the hold up.

so if we dont hear back by today, would it make sense that they've likely offered at least enough acceptances to fill their class, and thus, won't notify anybody else of a decision until may? also, is there a FB page for accepted students?

yes i believe that's correct. at least that's what happened last year (according to their thread), and it seems that's what dr. hall also told february interviewees this year as well. i'm curious if they'll be sending post-interview rejections between now and may though..

Also got the "no thank you" email this morning. (Post-secondary, I didn't get an II). Glad they sent this rejection later in the cycle, because if I got one back in the fall I would have legitimately been heartbroken. Guess they didn't like my Diddy Riese haiku. :(

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back post-interview! :luck:

:(

And @bluemachine no FB group that I know of.

Maybe they'll work on the weekend!! Haha

ACCEPTED! :soexcited:
Received the letter today. I'm glad I quit checking my portal last weekend because the surprise increased the impact!

Reactions: 13 users
yes i believe that's correct. at least that's what happened last year (according to their thread), and it seems that's what dr. hall also told february interviewees this year as well. i'm curious if they'll be sending post-interview rejections between now and may though..
I'm a month or two removed from my interview but Dr. Hall made it sound like official waitlist and post interview rejection would be communicated in May. My guess is that they will hold off on rejecting people post interview until then.

Do y'all know if there is any chance of still receiving merit scholarships other than the Geffen scholarship?

Do y'all know if there is any chance of still receiving merit scholarships other than the Geffen scholarship?
There are also leaders of tomorrow scholarships which are full tuition, idk if they've been released yet though...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 148
No word, guess today is the unofficial March 15th deadline? :(

The power of Friday the 13th...