2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys. so i havent gotten the stats requirement yet--do you know which types of credits ucla will take? is it cool to take stats at like a local community college?

Members don't see this ad.

Research: definitely enough time to do research. First years are guaranteed a stipend for 8 weeks after first year and any type of project goes as long as it's something research-based. You can do quality improvement, basic science, clinical projects, etc. At the end of the summer there is a poster fair. There are other more specialized fellowships too (ie some aimed at underserved populations, one sponsored by the dept of internal medicine, a health administration fellowship, etc). I'm also remembering one that lets you do psychiatry clinical work or something like that, so basically a ton of options for research after 1st year. It completely depends on the student if you want to continue your project during 2nd year, depending on how important a publication/abstract is to you. Our schedule makes it easy to find time to do it if you want. People who had basic science projects during the summer would go into lab in the mornings during 2nd year to finish up their project then just podcast later. Depends on your priorities and what you want to accomplish. Finding a mentor is going to be mostly on you, although there is a research pathway that can help identify possible mentors. You can also just email faculty who lecture about topics you like and ask them to suggest people.

That said, not everyone does research and by no means do you have to. If you want to go into something competitive, then you definitely should.

Match: I don't think DGSOM publically released the match list last year (not sure why) and I didn't know any 4th years last year so I don't really know too much about this, but it seemed like we had a wide variety of specialities that people matched into including ortho, vascular surgery, rad onc, neurosurgery, radiology, derm. A lot of people matched in CA (particularly UCLA) and a lot do IM/family medicine. Something I've been told by a practicing orthopedic surgeon is that it's hard to match in CA if you don't come from a CA school or a very well-known east coast school, so if you think you want to stay in CA you should strongly consider UCLA. A lot of people end up staying for residency which I think is a great testament to the school!

Let me know if you have more questions. Also I know people are probably gonna ask for the match list but I dont feel comfortable posting it if the school hasnt shared it. DGSOM takes professionalism very seriously and I dont wanna end up on the wrong side of that, hope you guys understand.
thanks for replying. I certainly wouldn't want your share the match list if it's not public. I just wasn't sure if it was posted somewhere I didn't see.

Do any students find time for research in the first year? I guess im comparing the traditional curriculum at ucla to other schools that have more dedicated research time especially with regards to matching in competitive fields. It sounds like you are saying that students are happy with their matching ability.

Also best and worst parts of ucla in your opinion?

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for replying. I certainly wouldn't want your share the match list if it's not public. I just wasn't sure if it was posted somewhere I didn't see.

Do any students find time for research in the first year? I guess im comparing the traditional curriculum at ucla to other schools that have more dedicated research time especially with regards to matching in competitive fields. It sounds like you are saying that students are happy with their matching ability.

Also best and worst parts of ucla in your opinion?

Yeah, I know some students did research starting during first year. I would recommend trying to start your project as soon as you have it so you can be as productive as possible over the summer. It really just depends on how much you want to get out of the experience or if you just want a project to pay the bills over the summer. I did maybe a few hours a week starting in February including fellowship application, IRB application, background reading, etc. I'm sure people did a lot more than that too, and I think some people started first semester. They probably want to match really competitive specialities though.

Worst part of UCLA: I really wish we were in clinicals already and had more time for electives and sub-Is 4th year- but they are changing the schedule for the class below me and will eventually transition to an 18-month preclinical, so this will be less of a problem for future classes. One downside to that is that the curriculum might not have all the kinks ironed out for a few more years but I think it's moving in the right direction.

Best part of UCLA: I love our class schedule. I'm an independent learner by far so sitting in class 8-5 every day is not an option for me. I appreciate all the free time and flexibility we have to be able to learn the way we want. It also lets me take advantage of living in southern california with awesome weather!

I hope this helped. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know some students did research starting during first year. I would recommend trying to start your project as soon as you have it so you can be as productive as possible over the summer. It really just depends on how much you want to get out of the experience or if you just want a project to pay the bills over the summer. I did maybe a few hours a week starting in February including fellowship application, IRB application, background reading, etc. I'm sure people did a lot more than that too, and I think some people started first semester. They probably want to match really competitive specialities though.

Worst part of UCLA: I really wish we were in clinicals already and had more time for electives and sub-Is 4th year- but they are changing the schedule for the class below me and will eventually transition to an 18-month preclinical, so this will be less of a problem for future classes. One downside to that is that the curriculum might not have all the kinks ironed out for a few more years but I think it's moving in the right direction.

Best part of UCLA: I love our class schedule. I'm an independent learner by far so sitting in class 8-5 every day is not an option for me. I appreciate all the free time and flexibility we have to be able to learn the way we want. It also lets me take advantage of living in southern california with awesome weather!

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!!!!

I'm really curious as to the curriculum transformation. What will the preclinical years look like for the incoming class? Do they know yet?

Two questions related to second look.

1) Does anyone know if UCLA provides housing for second look?

2) Do people normally request other med students they meet at second look as roommates in weyburn? I saw you could request a roommate on the housing form but wasn't sure if most people did this or just went with a random roommate.

Any idea how many acceptances have been given out so far?

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea how many acceptances have been given out so far?
No idea, but according to what others have said, they should have accepted about a full class by March 15th! That's in less than 2 weeks! So exciting but terrifying!

No idea, but according to what others have said, they should have accepted about a full class by March 15th! That's in less than 2 weeks! So exciting but terrifying!

wait where is this said/known? thatd be amazing if we find out some sort of decision by then!

This is accurate and is true for all medical schools in the country! See the AAMC traffic rules:

https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...afficrulesforadmissionofficers-2015amcas.html

"4. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

Two questions related to second look.

1) Does anyone know if UCLA provides housing for second look?

2) Do people normally request other med students they meet at second look as roommates in weyburn? I saw you could request a roommate on the housing form but wasn't sure if most people did this or just went with a random roommate.

Yes, there will be a program to stay with current students. And yes, a lot of people roommate-up at second look! Or not, it really isn't a huge factor. Of the people that did, they all seem happy with their choice now.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During my interview they told us that a formal rejection/waitlist would come out in June.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this means we'll all hear back from geffen by the fifteenth. I think it means that they will send out at least a class's-worth of acceptances (~180). They have no obligation to put the rest of us on a waitlist or reject us or anything. And since lots of those first acceptances might decline the acceptances they could technically keep doling out acceptances into the spring and summer. I just say this because I remember my host said he was accepted in like July! What do you guys think?

Still, one would think it would be to the schools advantage to accept as much of the class as possible before second look arrives.

Still, one would think it would be to the schools advantage to accept as much of the class as possible before second look arrives.
I agree. But at the same time I get the feeling that second look weekends are aimed at the students that schools are trying hardest to woo. For the most part I'd imagine that contingent will have already received acceptances by the time second look comes around

I agree. But at the same time I get the feeling that second look weekends are aimed at the students that schools are trying hardest to woo. For the most part I'd imagine that contingent will have already received acceptances by the time second look comes around
Yes, that makes sense as well.

Agreed. I think DGSOM is more concerned with the risk of over enrolling more so than being able to fill their class

How many acceptances do people think have gone out?

I have no idea. The dean said typically around 160-170 by the end of March then it'll really slow down j til that April 30 deadline when they can actually figure out how many more people they'll need.

I have no idea. The dean said typically around 160-170 by the end of March then it'll really slow down j til that April 30 deadline when they can actually figure out how many more people they'll need.

Didn't he say 160-170 by March 15? Also, what is their target number for this year's class?

Didn't he say 160-170 by March 15? Also, what is their target number for this year's class?

I believe he said targeted 160 before the end of March, but of course the 133 by March 15.

Don't quote my exactness on these numbers haha. I was too excited for my interview that was right after his speech to take exact note :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this means we'll all hear back from geffen by the fifteenth. I think it means that they will send out at least a class's-worth of acceptances (~180). They have no obligation to put the rest of us on a waitlist or reject us or anything. And since lots of those first acceptances might decline the acceptances they could technically keep doling out acceptances into the spring and summer. I just say this because I remember my host said he was accepted in like July! What do you guys think?
This is accurate, they only need to issue acceptances to the same number of people that will be in the incoming class (around 180 for Geffen + Drew + Prime). And a lot of these people choose to go to other schools, and they definitely do accept into the summer. It varies every year how much they have to go to the waitlist - sometimes very few people choose to go elsewhere, so there's not much waitlist movement, and sometimes people choose other schools a lot, which means there is a lot of waitlist movement. I know people accepted in March last year after March 15 as well, so it's hard to say how important that day is.

It seems the interview season is over.
I think this is true. Maybe the reason they don't reject people who haven't interviewed yet is that there is a chance they need to dip into that pile of applicants to fill out the class? I don't think it's worth getting hopes up too high, but if I were an admissions officer I think I would want to be as conservative as possible.

Soooo, since the committee will be meeting weekly now...does that mean decisions might roll out weekly from this point?

Good luck to everyone today!

Reactions: 6 users
Based on previous weeks it seems like that release them around 3ish. But then again who knows. This whole thing is making me a bit crazy lol

Mine came ~11 am PST on a Friday! For what it's worth!

Reactions: 2 users
maybe tomorrow??

A friend of mine withdrew their acceptance offer here today and wanted me to post good luck to everyone! I hope someone gets his spot :)

Reactions: 9 users
I had the day off work today because of the weather and all I did was refresh refresh refresh....:whistle:

and eat ice cream

Reactions: 9 users
I'm just going to stop checking my portal from now on. This stress is too much :p

Reactions: 5 users
FINALLY rejected today PRE-secondary. Haha. What does that even mean? They just really weren't sure they wanted to send that secondary out I guess. Took em 7 months to decide.

FINALLY rejected today PRE-secondary. Haha. What does that even mean? They just really weren't sure they wanted to send that secondary out I guess. Took em 7 months to decide.
They don't reject anyone till the end. Basically there should be a massive rejection going out soon

Rejected pre II today, which is funny because they told me I was rejected months ago haha. Guess they wanted to make sure I really got it!

So, no batch of acceptances for over 2 weeks now?

Looks like next weeks the charm, last week before the Mar. 15 deadline.

Looks like someone got one yesterday (3/5). Saw via mdapps

Oh, well.

I guess they're done with sending out batches then??

We reached page 30! Yay for the small victories!! :happy:

So I called them today because I'm not good at being patient. I asked when I could expect to hear back and she said within the next few weeks. Granted I only gave her my first name, and the whole call lasted 20 seconds. Maybe this tells us something or maybe it's a generic answer given to inpatient people like me. :lol:

So I called them today because I'm not good at being patient. I asked when I could expect to hear back and she said within the next few weeks. Granted I only gave her my first name, and the whole call lasted 20 seconds. Maybe this tells us something or maybe it's a generic answer given to inpatient people like me. :lol:

thanks for doing this! a few questions in response to what she said:
-did she specify if the news would be good or bad? because hasn't it been the consensus that rejections won't come out until may-ish?
-so maybe i'm a little confused on the traffic rules. is it that they will accept their target number by march 15, and then NOTHING will be released until after april 30? or is it still fair game that they can release acceptances, for example, in the last few weeks of march?

once again, thanks for being brave and calling!!!

No problem. In my personal opinion, I think she was probably annoyed by how often she gets asked the question. It was almost like she had a generic response ready to that question. She didn't look up any information about me (I only told her when I interviewed and my first name). She didn't specify it was good or bad at all. I doubt though that she said "a few weeks" because she knew who I was and knew I'd be getting news within the next few weeks (although, that would be fabulous).

No idea for everything else. :/

thanks for doing this! a few questions in response to what she said:
-did she specify if the news would be good or bad? because hasn't it been the consensus that rejections won't come out until may-ish?
-so maybe i'm a little confused on the traffic rules. is it that they will accept their target number by march 15, and then NOTHING will be released until after april 30? or is it still fair game that they can release acceptances, for example, in the last few weeks of march?

once again, thanks for being brave and calling!!!

If I remember correctly, the dean said something like this:

As long as you haven't been explicitly rejected or waitlisted, then no matter how late it gets in the cycle, even if it's July, consider yourself still in the running.

As far as the detailed timeline, he didn't share. When I called in Jan, the lady on the phone said the majority of the people will be accepted in March.

Hope this helps! Good luck to all.

Reactions: 3 users
No problem. In my personal opinion, I think she was probably annoyed by how often she gets asked the question. It was almost like she had a generic response ready to that question. She didn't look up any information about me (I only told her when I interviewed and my first name). She didn't specify it was good or bad at all. I doubt though that she said "a few weeks" because she knew who I was and knew I'd be getting news within the next few weeks (although, that would be fabulous).

No idea for everything else. :/

If I remember correctly, the dean said something like this:

As long as you haven't been explicitly rejected or waitlisted, then no matter how late it gets in the cycle, even if it's July, consider yourself still in the running.

As far as the detailed timeline, he didn't share. When I called in Jan, the lady on the phone said the majority of the people will be accepted in March.

Hope this helps! Good luck to all.

thanks so much guys!!!