2014-2015 Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes or no for each question, with a limit of 100 words to explain for each one.

I have taken time off between high school and college
(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates)

I have taken time off during my undergraduate years
(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates)

I have taken off at least a year since college graduation

I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school.
(Please explain what you plan to do this year and please provide confirmation of your plans when they are complete.)

I have taken and received credit for online courses
(Please note that the College does not accept online courses that are not offered by (as opposed to, approved by) your undergraduate or graduate institution. If you have taken online courses, please indicate what courses, where they were taken, and why you elected to take the courses online.)

I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college.
(Please indicate when you worked, e.g., freshman year, what months of the year you worked, and how many hours. Briefly describe the work you did.)

I have applied to medical school previously
(Please list schools and year of application, and tell us what actions you have taken to improve your application.)

I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously
(Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.)
(Please indicate whether you completed the application process for Einstein, the year(s) you applied, and whether you were interviewed.)

I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division
(Please indicate the year you enrolled, when you plan to take your qualifying examination, and the name of your mentor/department. It is required that your mentor write a letter of recommendation on your behalf.)

I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University
(Please indicate the month and year that you will graduate.)

I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate
(Please indicate the name of the school, the year, and your reasons for not matriculating.)

I had been enrolled previously in a medical school
(Please indicate the name of the school, the dates of your enrollment, and your reason for leaving.)

I have not yet completed all of the competencies
(Please indicate what you are missing, and when and how you plan completion.)

I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school
(Please indicate why you will not have your Degree.)

I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school
(Please indicate where you are holding a deferral and why you are applying to Einstein now.)

I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years
(Please indicate the name of the course and the reason for the failure.)

I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years
(Please indicate the name of the course and the reason for this grade.)

I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years

I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years

I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years
(Please explain why you chose to transfer, and indicate the names of the colleges involved.)

I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action
(Please explain when, where and why.)

I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school
(If yes, please answer the following questions.)
Expunged? No Yes
How many warnings did you receive prior to an action being placed on your record?
(Please explain how all of the above affected you.)

I have disciplinary charges pending
(Please explain in detail.)

I have been convicted of a crime

I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending

I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
applying here... have my fingers crossed:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I'll be starting here in the fall, so hope I can answer some questions about the application, or later on about the school itself. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Really pumped for this school. goodluck all!

Also, a hopeful! This school looks awesome! Sending good vibes to all applicants:xf:

Hi all! I'll be starting here in the fall, so hope I can answer some questions about the application, or later on about the school itself. Good luck everyone!

What's Albert Einstein looking for in its applicants?

Someone with a good sense of humor, kind, likes to have fun and the occasional long walk on the beach...

But in all seriousness, I don't think they're looking for anything particularly different than any other "mid-tier" medical school.

Btw, gonna be starting at Einstein in August so Id be happy to help answer anybody's questions on the application/interview process. Just shoot a pm or ask on the thread. Good luck all! :)

Last edited:
I interviewed here last cycle (waitlisted, then rejected, and planning to reapply). Based on the website and definitely my interviewer, they are very service-oriented and extremely liberal. My interviewer also said they're looking for people with interesting stories and indicated they're very open to reapplicants and non-trads.

MS2 here - recently finished 2nd year at Einstein.
It's a great school and a wonderful atmosphere. I really think everyone at Einstein loves being here.

If anyone has specific questions about Einstein, a lot has been answered in last years thread, so definitely read through that.

Otherwise, good luck with applications!

MS2 here - recently finished 2nd year at Einstein.
It's a great school and a wonderful atmosphere. I really think everyone at Einstein loves being here.

If anyone has specific questions about Einstein, a lot has been answered in last years thread, so definitely read through that.

Otherwise, good luck with applications!

What do you like most about Einstein? How is the research?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you like most about Einstein? How is the research?
Overall I'm very happy with everything at Einstein. One of the things I like the most here is the friendly atmosphere and great social life within the class. Everyone here is super friendly, and there is a vibrant social community. Also, living in Einstein housing allows everyone to spend more time together, and form a close group (instead of being spread out over varying housing/living arrangements) Also, the school is really very student friendly, and tries hard to make life for the students as best as possible.

Research here is solid - there are loads of opportunities here in every field you could imagine. Whether it be global research opportunities (which there is a TON of) or research right at Einstein, there really is loads of opportunity I was able to get involved with a couple of fantastic projects of my choosing, and couldn't be happier. Many of my classmates have already presented abstracts and are involved in papers as well. So yea, loads of great research opportunities :)

NBC actually did a fairly thorough piece on this topic a few years back:http://www.nbcnews.com/id/13804030/...-shed-light-einsteins-love-life/#.U5YqcRYnIrw
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402361603.453309.jpg

Hoping to visit this campus on an interview day!

Hi folks! Reapplicant here (not to this school), and I'm excited to be applying! I have a question. How are people handling this secondary (assuming it's the same as last year)? It looked pretty easy at a glance, but I'm having difficulties. For example, it asks what I've done if I've taken a year off from college to apply, and says specifically to provide detailed descriptions of my activities. Well how am I supposed to include detailed descriptions of work, volunteering, research, and teaching in 100 words or less? All of this stuff is in my primary app anyway.

Hi folks! Reapplicant here (not to this school), and I'm excited to be applying! I have a question. How are people handling this secondary (assuming it's the same as last year)? It looked pretty easy at a glance, but I'm having difficulties. For example, it asks what I've done if I've taken a year off from college to apply, and says specifically to provide detailed descriptions of my activities. Well how am I supposed to include detailed descriptions of work, volunteering, research, and teaching in 100 words or less? All of this stuff is in my primary app anyway.
Write briefly about as many of them as possible, and prioritize which ones you put in based on importance/time involved. I wouldn't go crazy about that prompt, I think they're just looking more for content rather than style.

Any idea if the secondary is going to change? I know they're changing their pre-req requirements to "competencies" so the one question about pre-med pre-reqs on last year's secondary isn't really applicable anymore?

How strict are they about the letters requirement? They state that they want 2 sciences faculty, but I have one from an engineering professor.

Thanks.

How strict are they about the letters requirement? They state that they want 2 sciences faculty, but I have one from an engineering professor.

Thanks.
Not sure exactly, but feel free to call admissions and ask - they are very nice and helpful.

Thanks.
One science and one engineering? Or just one engineering? I would have considered engineering a science...

On one of the old secondary questions it says, "
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school
(Please explain what you plan to do this year and please provide confirmation of your plans when they are complete.)"
Does anyone know what this "confirmation of my plans when they are compete is"? If I am traveling what am I suppose to provide a plane ticket?

I interviewed here last cycle (waitlisted, then rejected, and planning to reapply). Based on the website and definitely my interviewer, they are very service-oriented and extremely liberal. My interviewer also said they're looking for people with interesting stories and indicated they're very open to reapplicants and non-trads.

From your lips to G-ds ears!

On one of the old secondary questions it says, "
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school
(Please explain what you plan to do this year and please provide confirmation of your plans when they are complete.)"
Does anyone know what this "confirmation of my plans when they are compete is"? If I am traveling what am I suppose to provide a plane ticket?
I would assume it means to confirm with them that you actually ended up doing what you wrote that you planned to do.

How would I do this?
This is just speculation because I wasn't in your position, but I would think you should write them an update at some point next year to inform them of what you're currently up to, or something like that. Of course, you can always call the admissions office to confirm this - they're very helpful and I'm sure will be able to definitively answer your question.

Anybody else worried about Albert Einstein financial situation. The Forward had the following to say about the shifting between Yeshiva U and Montefiore:
"The reality is that Einstein, the nation’s first medical school established under Jewish auspices, has been losing tens of millions of dollars a year. And for Y.U., which is facing its worst financial crisis in more than 30 years, the Bronx medical school has posed perhaps the single biggest problem." I would hate to be accepted by a medical school that's facing financial problems and may not survive. From you folks there now, what's the story?

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/199004/...-albert-einstein-medical/?p=all#ixzz36QYm6smb

Anybody else worried about Albert Einstein financial situation. The Forward had the following to say about the shifting between Yeshiva U and Montefiore:
"The reality is that Einstein, the nation’s first medical school established under Jewish auspices, has been losing tens of millions of dollars a year. And for Y.U., which is facing its worst financial crisis in more than 30 years, the Bronx medical school has posed perhaps the single biggest problem." I would hate to be accepted by a medical school that's facing financial problems and may not survive. From you folks there now, what's the story?

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/199004/...-albert-einstein-medical/?p=all#ixzz36QYm6smb
I never even heard about this :shrug:

*puts on kippah and gets on podium*

I wouldn't be overly worried because since it is a Jewish school, it has the backing of the Jewish community under halacha. If there is a true danger to the school especially one that is involved in healthcare, the community must provide for it. Since it is technically Orthodox run, it takes a priority even if non-Orthodox Jews are benefiting. That is just the nature of halacha.

*gets off podium*

I wouldn't be overly worried because since it is a Jewish school, it has the backing of the Jewish community under halacha. If there is a true danger to the school especially one that is involved in healthcare, the community must provide for it. Since it is technically Orthodox run, it takes a priority even if non-Orthodox Jews are benefiting. That is just the nature of halacha.

*gets off podium*
Halacha didn't keep the head of Yeshiva from covering up the sexual abuse of boys under his care. The Forward says:"In his resignation letter, the 85-year-old Lamm, who was president of the university when the abuse took place, said he was doing penance for mishandling allegations against staff members." So much for halacha. It's not much consolation if the medical school you go to doesn't make its financial situation clear, but later on "does penance." I would rather know the facts up front.

Halacha didn't keep the head of Yeshiva from covering up the sexual abuse of boys under his care. The Forward says:"In his resignation letter, the 85-year-old Lamm, who was president of the university when the abuse took place, said he was doing penance for mishandling allegations against staff members." So much for halacha. It's not much consolation if the medical school you go to doesn't make its financial situation clear, but later on "does penance." I would rather know the facts up front.

The issue with sexual abuse is one that has been occurring in various parts of the community throughout the world. Unfortunately, and I do *not* agree with this, but it was a considered a Jewish affair first subject to Jewish law first and then if needed to be escalated. Remember, Orthodox Jews go to a beit din first, I being one of the few that do not. Further, and I think everyone can agree with this, but the entire scandal was a shanda fur die goyim. I am not sure the Talmud discusses what one should do in this case. They do have information about what happens in female molestation, but not about male ones (unless we consider it sodomy in which case that is a whole 'nother can of worms.) For either case, I would have taken halacha into my own hands and offered the molester a free "upgrade" into being a saris adam. The Rosh Yeshiva has lost status in the community and likely will take a long time before his word can be trusted again by other observant Jews. I think we can safely state that his position in an Orthodox minyin or as a witness in court has been jeopardized for a while.

The issue with sexual abuse and the issue about a medical school failing is VERY different halachally. The sexual abuse issue is the most embarrassing shanda that could have happened to the community. Most of the observant community is pretty ticked about the abuse, even more would be saying something but it they might have a fear of lashon hora. Most of the community on the other hand would be halachially required to help the school not only out of general tzedakah but also because you have to do everything halachically possible to save a life.

I never even heard about this :shrug:
Just researched a little more on line. The financial crisis for Albert Einstein Medical School was not caused by Yeshiva University's expenses to defend against the sexual abuse law suits, it was caused, according to a Bloomberg.com article, by investing with Bernie Madoff, failing to implement financial systems and controls, and by costs for equipment at the medical school. Some articles have said that Yeshiva bonds are now in the "junk" category: " The university has been unable to control operating costs, particularly at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and it encountered delays deploying a system-wide accounting network common at other nonprofits, Moody’s said. Management has sought to cut spending, stirring some faculty discontent by freezing salaries. Yeshiva generated annual deficits of $107.5 million in 2010, $46.7 million in 2011 and $105.9 million in 2012." See Bloomber.com article "Madoff haunts Yeshiva." Hope Montefiore does a better job of management.

If you research more, you'll read that due to YU's financial issues, they are effectively transferring Einstein over to Montefiore - an extremely large medical system with significant financial backing. Montefiore will be taking over all financial responsibility for Einstein - thus seemingly removing Einstein from any of the financial issues YU will be going through. I think that Einstein being taken over by Monte will be a great thing long term, and will even allow for the potential infusion of more capital into Einstein.
(Although for the time being, YU is still going to be the "degree granting institution" due to how things work)

Overall - the deans have assured the students that this transfer will not affect the quality of the MD program here. So far, there has been no noticeable effects, nor will there likely be...

*gets off podium*
I wish this were true but I highly doubt it. There are plenty of other organizations that one can give his/her money to, they're in no way religiously obligated to give it to a university which can't seem to manage money and has lost literally a billion dollars in the past few years. I liked the extensive Jewish lingo in your second post tho :)

If you research more, you'll read that due to YU's financial issues, they are effectively transferring Einstein over to Montefiore - an extremely large medical system with significant financial backing. Montefiore will be taking over all financial responsibility for Einstein - thus seemingly removing Einstein from any of the financial issues YU will be going through. I think that Einstein being taken over by Monte will be a great thing long term, and will even allow for the potential infusion of more capital into Einstein.
(Although for the time being, YU is still going to be the "degree granting institution" due to how things work)

Overall - the deans have assured the students that this transfer will not affect the quality of the MD program here. So far, there has been no noticeable effects, nor will there likely be...
keep us updated!

also, looks like they are sending out secondaries a little later this year. Last year ppl were getting them before the 4th

I didn't have to wait too long for more news on Einstein Med. There's a front page article in today's Wall Street Journal. It notes that the deal with Montefiore isn't approved by regulators yet, so I don't think people REALLY know what's going to happen. WSJ:
"Yeshiva has also entered into an agreement to hand over operations at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine to a local community hospital and to sell off 10 residential properties, according to school officials.
The hospital deal, which hasn't yet received regulatory approval, will cede $100 million of the school's running deficit to Montefiore Health System, the Bronx-based health-care network that will take over day-to-day operations and financial management of the facility. Yeshiva posted a $150 million operating deficit in the fiscal year ended June 30, 2013." The article also notes that "Students, faculty members and alumni say conversations about the school's changes are running at a fever pitch." Hmmmmmm.

Amazing coincidence! If I were a dean, that's what I would tell the students too!

I wish this were true but I highly doubt it. There are plenty of other organizations that one can give his/her money to, they're in no way religiously obligated to give it to a university which can't seem to manage money and has lost literally a billion dollars in the past few years. I liked the extensive Jewish lingo in your second post tho :)

I studied in an Orthodox yeshiva studying Jewish law for several years. That included more than a few cases like this. ;-) When I really get going discussing Jewish law, I might as well put up as sign requesting people to bring their Yiddish and Hebrew dictionaries cause that is the only way people are going to understand me. At least I am not at the point of quoting Rambam or any of the great poskim. If I ever get to that point... I am going to stop dealing with medicine entirely because my brain is going to be too far gone at that point. I will also then know for sure that I would make a better rabbi than a doctor, thus I would then be required under halacha to forfeit any further attempt at medical school.

Religiously, 10% of one's income must be given to tzedakah (maximum of 20%), traditionally this should be going to community and schools. The two greatest mitzvot are studying Torah and saving a life, so those two things become prioritized. If a life is in danger, the money must go to the life saving issue as that triumphs studying Torah. The Orthodox will frequently only give to Orthodox institutions although that institution really should not be mishandling the money. If it is found to be mishandling money, individual members can be brought before am Orthodox financial beit din and be dealt with. Liberal Jews have much more freedom in who they donate to. If a medical school or hospital is in danger, Jews are actually required to *try* to save it. They don't have to succeed but they have to attempt.

So I wondered why Yeshiva has been downgraded to junk bond status given that they have over $ 1 Billion in endowment., but an article in Jewishpress.com explains it all:
"A new report released March 21 warns that deep and growing operating deficits are likely to continue due to “poor financial oversight and high expenses;” much of YU’s cash and investments are tied up in restricted funds the university cannot use for operating expenses; and banks may not extend credit to the troubled university.
“The negative outlook reflects the risk that Yeshiva will deplete its available unrestricted liquidity before management is able to execute a successful financial turnaround,” Moody’s new report says.
Only 14 percent of the $1.2 billion the university had on hand in 2013 is free from donor restriction and could be used for operating expenses, according to the report. Unless there is a change in operations, the report warned, the university will run out of money by the end of 2015."

Here's the link: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/bre...sity-may-run-out-of-money-in-2015/2014/03/26/

Last edited:
They should go before a beit din then. Not sure how much it would help but that is something to think about.

So I wondered why Yeshiva has been downgraded to junk bond status given that they have over $ 1 Billion in endowment., but an article in Jewishpress.com explains it all:
"A new report released March 21 warns that deep and growing operating deficits are likely to continue due to “poor financial oversight and high expenses;” much of YU’s cash and investments are tied up in restricted funds the university cannot use for operating expenses; and banks may not extend credit to the troubled university.
“The negative outlook reflects the risk that Yeshiva will deplete its available unrestricted liquidity before management is able to execute a successful financial turnaround,” Moody’s new report says.
Only 14 percent of the $1.2 billion the university had on hand in 2013 is free from donor restriction and could be used for operating expenses, according to the report. Unless there is a change in operations, the report warned, the university will run out of money by the end of 2015."

Here's the link: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/bre...sity-may-run-out-of-money-in-2015/2014/03/26/
It seems to me like you mainly want to try to make Einstein look bad, not contribute anything useful to the conversation.
Either you like to troll, or you want to try to be one of those SDN posters who secretly tries to discourage people from applying to "increase one's own chances".

Now regardless of all that - despite all of YU's financial issues - it should all become a moot issue once Monte takes over Einstein. And as for the WSJ article stating that it has to undergo regulatory approval - sure - the deal is so new that it hasn't been fully reviewed yet. But all sources seem to imply it will go through without major issue.

I think that although YU might be in the gutter at the moment, long term Einstein will be better off with a Monte partnership.

Reactions: 3 users
It seems to me like you mainly want to try to make Einstein look bad, not contribute anything useful to the conversation.
Either you like to troll, or you want to try to be one of those SDN posters who secretly tries to discourage people from applying to "increase one's own chances".

Now regardless of all that - despite all of YU's financial issues - it should all become a moot issue once Monte takes over Einstein. And as for the WSJ article stating that it has to undergo regulatory approval - sure - the deal is so new that it hasn't been fully reviewed yet. But all sources seem to imply it will go through without major issue.

I think that although YU might be in the gutter at the moment, long term Einstein will be better off with a Monte partnership.
On the contrary, I asked current Einstein students to comment on what's going on with the financial situation at their school, given that the press says Einstein could run out of money by the end of 2015. The current students appear to know little to nothing about their own school's financial situation. Good MD students, perhaps, but not MBA material. What happens if your med school goes bankrupt? Last year St Barnabas Hospital shuttered its radiology residency program while residents were still in it! Their answer: "We'll do our best to help residents find a spot somewhere else." Not a good answer in my book. If it "makes Einstein look bad" to quote truthful information from well respected and documented sources, so be it.

On the contrary, I asked current Einstein students to comment on what's going on with the financial situation at their school, given that the press says Einstein could run out of money by the end of 2015. The current students appear to know little to nothing about their own school's financial situation. Good MD students, perhaps, but not MBA material. What happens if your med school goes bankrupt? Last year St Barnabas Hospital shuttered its radiology residency program while residents were still in it! Their answer: "We'll do our best to help residents find a spot somewhere else." Not a good answer in my book. If it "makes Einstein look bad" to quote truthful information from well respected and documented sources, so be it.
What's your point? You've made it clear - Yeshiva University is in a bad financial situation. We now know you know how to use google. Good job! :thumbup:
Einstein is doing everything they can to right the ship, whether together with YU or as a new partnership with Montefiore. If you're hesitant to apply there because of this, seriously, don't. There are plenty of people who would love to have your spot at Einstein. Nobody is interested in your repeated bashing of the school.

Reactions: 2 users
You mainly seem to post what you want to post - irrespective of what other people may say to the contrary.

Comparing a medical school to a residency program is a rather poor comparison.

Anyways, that being said - Einstein ever going bankrupt is something made up - that's not going to happen - Monte will be able to take over Einstein and all will be quite fine.

Also - didn't your mother ever teach you not to believe everything in the papers? Lol

I studied in an Orthodox yeshiva studying Jewish law for several years. That included more than a few cases like this. ;-) When I really get going discussing Jewish law, I might as well put up as sign requesting people to bring their Yiddish and Hebrew dictionaries cause that is the only way people are going to understand me. At least I am not at the point of quoting Rambam or any of the great poskim. If I ever get to that point... I am going to stop dealing with medicine entirely because my brain is going to be too far gone at that point. I will also then know for sure that I would make a better rabbi than a doctor, thus I would then be required under halacha to forfeit any further attempt at medical school.

Religiously, 10% of one's income must be given to tzedakah (maximum of 20%), traditionally this should be going to community and schools. The two greatest mitzvot are studying Torah and saving a life, so those two things become prioritized. If a life is in danger, the money must go to the life saving issue as that triumphs studying Torah. The Orthodox will frequently only give to Orthodox institutions although that institution really should not be mishandling the money. If it is found to be mishandling money, individual members can be brought before am Orthodox financial beit din and be dealt with. Liberal Jews have much more freedom in who they donate to. If a medical school or hospital is in danger, Jews are actually required to *try* to save it. They don't have to succeed but they have to attempt.

While it is true Halacha says 10% at least needs to go to charity, I do not think Einstein is what they mean. They mean Jewish institutions where they teach Judaism and torah. Giving money to Einstein is the similar if not the same as giving money to another medical school. The Jewish community has no responsibility for supporting it nor do Jews have a responsibility to have a medical school. Giving money to an medical institution does not have the same urgency as saving life. You would not be allowed to work on the sabbath day even if you were to give it all to charity because although we can break shabbat to save a life, this is not directly connected to save a life.

I am Jewish too and know the laws. I would warn you against poskening halacka by yourself. You seem to know important concepts but the practical way of applying them you are off base. I would ask your local Orthodox rabbi about this issue.

While it is true Halacha says 10% at least needs to go to charity, I do not think Einstein is what they mean. They mean Jewish institutions where they teach Judaism and torah. Giving money to Einstein is the similar if not the same as giving money to another medical school. The Jewish community has no responsibility for supporting it nor do Jews have a responsibility to have a medical school. Giving money to an medical institution does not have the same urgency as saving life. You would not be allowed to work on the sabbath day even if you were to give it all to charity because although we can break shabbat to save a life, this is not directly connected to save a life.

I am Jewish too and know the laws. I would warn you against poskening halacka by yourself. You seem to know important concepts but the practical way of applying them you are off base. I would ask your local Orthodox rabbi about this issue.

A teaching hospital was actually used as an example in my tzedakah classes in yeshiva. What I recited is what the local Orthodox rabbi taught. It is not what the Reform rabbi taught, but *is* what the Orthodox rabbi taught. Now if your rabbi wishes to disagree with mine, that is his business as there are always minority opinions.

Jewish institutes (day schools, yeshivas, and such) are to be made the priority, however hospitals and medical schools where life saving is taught is to be ranked as high because of the importance of life saving.

If this medical school was not there no one would die as the other medical schools would pick up the slack. Your rabbi can say it is good to give to a hospital, that is 100% true. But to say we need to give to it over other good causes and hospitals and medical schools that is way to far. I would suggest asking your rabbi this question if this statement is true, " If there is a true danger to the school especially one that is involved in healthcare, the community must provide for it. Since it is technically Orthodox run, it takes a priority even if non-Orthodox Jews are benefiting. That is just the nature of halacha." The community needs to grant its citizens health but that can be done with another school even if it is not run by Jews.

If this medical school was not there no one would die as the other medical schools would pick up the slack. Your rabbi can say it is good to give to a hospital, that is 100% true. But to say we need to give to it over other good causes and hospitals and medical schools that is way to far. I would suggest asking your rabbi this question if this statement is true, " If there is a true danger to the school especially one that is involved in healthcare, the community must provide for it. Since it is technically Orthodox run, it takes a priority even if non-Orthodox Jews are benefiting. That is just the nature of halacha." The community needs to grant its citizens health but that can be done with another school even if it is not run by Jews.

He said this in a class a year ago as I took two separate full zman courses on tzedakah. One was general tzedakah, the other exclusively dealt with supporting Torah learning. The only thing he did not state was "this it the nature of halacha" which is my add.

The only difference between what I said and what he would say is 1) he would repeat it ten or twenty times in an hour (and actually repeated it again several times in two classes with him this zman as I am taking a class in the interactions between traditional and non-traditional Jews) and 2) he cites the poskim to within an inch of their life. I hate the repetition and I am not going to cite poskim, if I was able to do this consistently it could be a sign that I would make a better rabbi than physician. Then I would likely be halachically required to go where I could do the most good and stop medicine precisely.

Now for every two Jews, there are three opinions which is something to remember and even the Talmud cites and records minority opinions. I know younger Hassidic Orthodox rabbis who would state they cannot support things that do not exclusively serve the Orthodox community. Luckily they appear to be the minority.

I am going to be disappearing for Shabbat. If you wish to continue this conversation, you can PM me as it makes my life easier when I come back after havdallah to respond to things.