2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current BMS student here... Do u have our schools match list? I'm surprised I haven't seen in some way or another around school yet. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Match list 2014 - by Specialty Public. Deidentified.pdf
    234.8 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this afternoon after being waitlisted last week! I wasn't expecting to hear back until after the 15th. I suppose there's hope for those already waitlisted. Good luck all.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this afternoon after being waitlisted last week! I wasn't expecting to hear back until after the 15th. I suppose there's hope for those already waitlisted. Good luck all.

Wow congrats! Hopefully there's more good news on the way!

Congrats!

Were you on "hold" or "waitlist"? I have only heard of applicants being placed on "hold" or "not given a status (silence)". Are you sure it was a waitlist?

I wasn't aware that a waitlist was released. Please clarify and thanks!

Accepted this afternoon. I was placed on a waitlist on the 9th.

To answer your question BelieveInMe, the "waitlist" sounded more like a pool of applicants that they were continually considering as acceptances were declined. So I do not believe that it is a numerical waitlist but more of a waiting pool.

Congrats!

Were you on "hold" or "waitlist"? I have only heard of applicants being placed on "hold" or "not given a status (silence)". Are you sure it was a waitlist?

I wasn't aware that a waitlist was released. Please clarify and thanks!

First I was on hold, then, last week I was waitlisted (they call it "alternate"). It was a direct email. I think SarahBellum2 has it right (above).

First I was on hold, then, last week I was waitlisted (they call it "alternate"). It was a direct email. I think SarahBellum2 has it right (above).
Accepted this afternoon. I was placed on a waitlist on the 9th.

To answer your question BelieveInMe, the "waitlist" sounded more like a pool of applicants that they were continually considering as acceptances were declined. So I do not believe that it is a numerical waitlist but more of a waiting pool.

Thank you both. I hope this don't mean those of us who are still given the silent treatment are not rejected somehow.

Accepted today after being on hold since my interview many moons ago! Good Luck to those still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats... did you send any updates after being put on the wait-list? what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Accepted last night after being put on the wait list. I have a big decision to make though, I was also accepted to Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Where would you guys go? Someone please make this decision for me.

When did you interview PreHippocrates?
Congrats... did you send any updates after being put on the wait-list? what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

GPAs: 3.7. GPAc 3.6. MCAT 32 (11P/11V/10B). Interviewed 12/6.

I'm also a non-traditional. Undergrad degree in the humanities, and a couple of years working as a teacher prior to starting the post bac.

I did send an update letter. I hope you all are in next!

Last edited:
GPAs: 3.7. GPAc 3.6. MCAT 32 (11P/11V/10B). Interviewed 12/6.

I'm also a non-traditional. Undergrad degree in the humanities, and a couple of years working as a teacher prior to starting the post bac.

I did send an update letter. I hope you all are in next!

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing when you sent your update letter(s) and how many you have sent since your interview?

Hey guys I've been accepted to two medical schools this cycle, Rosalind Franklin and West Virginia and am trying to decide which to attend within the next couple of days. I'm a "non-traditional" student who is considerably older than most incoming students after a career change. I have some ties to the state of West Virginia but most of my family now lives in Florida so essentially both are going to be "out of state" for me and location does not matter.

I've been told that the probation problems at CMS are nothing to worry about for residency or medical student life but I was wondering if other medical students at CMS believe that this is symptomatic of a generally poorly run administration? I ask this because as I was researching both schools I noticed that ironically the dean of Chicago Medical School left to become dean of West Virginia Medical School in 2010. He is also the chair-elect of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Am I worrying too much about the wrong things? I tend to be very thorough before making a decision and it just seems strange to me that he left and then CMS was on probation again for the second time since 2004. I understand that mistakes are made and that stupid things get schools put on probation. But is there any acceptable reason for a school to be put on probation twice within a ten year time frame?

If I'm crazy and worrying about wrong things, feel free to correct me. As I mentioned, admissions reps have explained to me there is nothing to worry about on student end, but I think it is their job to do that and would love hear what any current students think about the situation.

I'm going to copy and paste an e-mail I wrote to another student.

I'm not really concerned about probation at all. You can take a look at our actual citations here:

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/LCME.aspx

Many of them were extremely trivial, like not having enough lockers at Cook County.

So far, I've experienced very little effect from probation. The one thing I have noticed is that our administrators seem to be more willing to listen to student feedback, which has been a blessing for getting some necessary programs started on the student end.

In addition, even though we were on probation, we had an amazing match list, even better than last year's, so it's pretty clear that residency directors aren't paying much attention to the fact that we're on probationeither.

Finally, plenty of schools have been on probation, and none have ever lost their accreditation. Currently, we're in compliance with a need for monitoring, meaning the the LCME has reviewed the changes we've made and decided they're satisfactory, so they're just going to watch to make sure our administration follows through. Our administration absolutely WILL.

current students like to poo poo over the probation but its a real issue that should not be ridiculed.

Your feedback is definitely appreciated, and I assure you that we are not "poo poo"ing the probation. We're speaking honestly to our experience insofar as how the probation has [not] affected us.

I just withdrew my acceptance to CMS. It's been a great ride with you guys and gals, and I truly hope one of you gets the nod. Good luck to you all!

Accepted last night after being put on the wait list. I have a big decision to make though, I was also accepted to Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Where would you guys go? Someone please make this decision for me.

It really depends on where you plan to practice. If you hope to practice in the United States, come to CMS. If you hope to practice in the UK or EU, go to Ireland. Where you go to school will likely determine where you practice, and if you want to switch, it will take a lot more work.

I just withdrew my acceptance to CMS. It's been a great ride with you guys and gals, and I truly hope one of you gets the nod. Good luck to you all!

Thank you. I sure hope more of us who are waiting are admitted.

Hi, I am a Canadian student who just accepted the offer from Rosalind Franklin. Does anyone know how I apply for study visa? Do I need to contact the school to ask for any documents? Thank you!

Hi, I am a Canadian student who just accepted the offer from Rosalind Franklin. Does anyone know how I apply for study visa? Do I need to contact the school to ask for any documents? Thank you!

So many questions from you. Why didn't you got to wayne state? Don't you need to apply for a student visa with the US State Dept? I know an immigration lawyer who can do this for you, if you want.

Go to Ireland! I'm sure it'd be great, but I'm also biased because I'm hoping to get off the waitlist.

So many questions from you. Why didn't you got to wayne state? Don't you need to apply for a student visa with the US State Dept? I know an immigration lawyer who can do this for you, if you want.
Just posting a question here in case anyone has any quick answer. In the meantime, I am trying to figure this out myself.

Just posting a question here in case anyone has any quick answer. In the meantime, I am trying to figure this out myself.

Contact admissions. I'm sure they'll have the answers you need, or at least be able to point you in the direction of the people that do. We have several Canadian students here (that I know of) so I'm sure it's a fairly common thing for them to handle.

Yes, you need an I-20 from the school.....

You dnt need a lawyer for that, but you need to start the visa process early. Call the international student office and obtain an i-20, then use that to schedule a visa interview at the american embassy closest to where you currently live.

Hi all. So I'm trying to make a decision on schools. Does anyone out there have any tips for deciding factors? I've read what has been said on the probation status of this school, but I'm still concerned... thoughts?

Hi all. So I'm trying to make a decision on schools. Does anyone out there have any tips for deciding factors? I've read what has been said on the probation status of this school, but I'm still concerned... thoughts?

If you tell us what you're concerned about, we'll gladly give you our thoughts! We can't talk about your concerns unless we know what they are!

What's important to you? What other schools are you deciding on? What makes those schools different from CMS?

If you're still concerned about the probation, take a look at the website and posts from current students in this thread. We've all largely had the same impact from the probation: None.

Well, the medical schools on probation are CMS and San Juan Batista which is in Puerto Rico. Probation is probably not a big deal. But you should realize that if a school loses accreditation, you won't be able to sit for Step 1. Tantacles and others are probably fine, but this can be a big deal for 2014 classes and beyond.

Probation affects the administration, research grants sometimes but not the students. I'd also read what they were put on probation for, you'll probably realize that it all doesn't affect the quality of education that you get.

And feel free to message either Tantacles or myself if you want your concerns addressed more privately!

Well, the medical schools on probation are CMS and San Juan Batista which is in Puerto Rico. Probation is probably not a big deal. But you should realize that if a school loses accreditation, you won't be able to sit for Step 1. Tantacles and others are probably fine, but this can be a big deal for 2014 classes and beyond.

So tell me: How many schools who have gone on probation have lost their accreditation? Do you know the answer? I do.

Zero.

Again, the probation has no effect on the students at our school with one exception: Current students now have to answer questions about probation from prospective students all the time.

So tell me: How many schools who have gone on probation have lost their accreditation? Do you know the answer? I do.

Zero.

Again, the probation has no effect on the students at our school with one exception: Current students now have to answer questions about probation from prospective students all the time.

take it easy. It's like you're a paid employee of CMS. If you're not paid, you should be.

take it easy. It's like you're a paid employee of CMS. If you're not paid, you should be.

I understand that it's difficult being on the waitlist and that you'd like to get off. I hope you get an acceptance! I would appreciate it, though, if you allowed students to honestly give their opinions. We want people to understand what our school is like so that they can make an informed decision.

If you think we're being disingenuous, that's fine. If you think that you have better insight into the probation process, I would be happy to sit down with you over coffee, discuss your credentials, and find out more! However, you've pretty consistently been negative about our school, so I truly question why you're still on our waitlist if you think you would be abjectly unhappy here!

Again, I hope other students will weigh in, and they are welcome to disagree with me. @ahutni3, @eliezer1510 , I hope you'll both give your insight as well.

Oh, and @VisceralFlame and @m0biusace

Last edited:
I understand that it's difficult being on the waitlist and that you'd like to get off. I hope you get an acceptance! I would appreciate it, though, if you allowed students to honestly give their opinions. We want people to understand what our school is like so that they can make an informed decision.

If you think we're being disingenuous, that's fine. If you think that you have better insight into the probation process, I would be happy to sit down with you over coffee, discuss your credentials, and find out more! However, you've pretty consistently been negative about our school, so I truly question why you're still on our waitlist if you think you would be abjectly unhappy here!

Dart ftw

Again, I hope other students will weigh in, and they are welcome to disagree with me. @ahutni3, @eliezer1510 , I hope you'll both give your insight as well.

Oh, and @VisceralFlame and @m0biusace

Don't be so sensitive. I'm sorry if I tried to censor other student's opinions; i didn't realize I had that power. We're just talking out loud.

Don't be so sensitive. I'm sorry if I tried to censor other student's opinions; i didn't realize I had that power. We're just talking out loud.

Again, I'm happy to discuss your concerns with you. It's great that you're here, and I love hearing your insights into the process. Saying things like "It's like you're a paid employee of CMS." has a pretty clear implication, though, and it's not welcome. There's no need to attack anyone's credibility.

Again, I'm happy to discuss your concerns with you. It's great that you're here, and I love hearing your insights into the process. Saying things like "It's like you're a paid employee of CMS." has a pretty clear implication, though, and it's not welcome. There's no need to attack anyone's credibility.

Well, one of the prior student posters here was also a paid employee, so it's not so out of the realm. But I take you for your word; you're fine.

This is just pre-meds talking out loud. No need to extrapolate any conclusions from my forum postings.

OK, let's all just get a group hug going and relax. It is a stressful time for everyone, I know. Trust me- you all get through it, and things turn out alright in the end (yes, there really is a rainbow at the end of the journey).
Congrats to all of the newly accepted, and good luck to those still treading water

Looks like some applicants got their acceptances before the 15th. I hope that another batch will come out soon after some ppl withdrew their acceptances…:( Can't wait until this is over with

Looks like some applicants got their acceptances before the 15th. I hope that another batch will come out soon after some ppl withdrew their acceptances…:( Can't wait until this is over with

Maybe those of us still waiting will hear something today. Praying and hoping for us all.

Reactions: 1 users