2013-2014 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass on some information that was very kindly disclosed to me. A fellow applicant sent me a private message to let me know they were accepted off the waitlist ~2 weeks ago (no it was not me, lol. they chose not to post for anonymity reasons). They received a phone call from Dean Nicholas and they were also informed by Dean Nicholas that they were the first waitlist acceptance post-May 15. Hopefully, there is still more to come. Stay strong!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass on some information that was very kindly disclosed to me. A fellow applicant sent me a private message to let me know they were accepted off the waitlist ~2 weeks ago (no it was not me, lol. they chose not to post for anonymity reasons). They received a phone call from Dean Nicholas and they were also informed by Dean Nicholas that they were the first waitlist acceptance post-May 15. Hopefully, there is still more to come. Stay strong!

Could you ask this person whether he/she sent any updates/letters of interests/letters of intent?

Could you ask this person whether he/she sent any updates/letters of interests/letters of intent?

Yes. and I received the following response: "i sent in 3 update letters/loi... they were all legitimate updates so it wasn't just me saying i love you columbia, although i did say that every time. the dean did tell me during his call that he responded to my letters so i would strongly encourage everyone to send multiple somethings even if they have something small to add"

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a phone call from an unfamiliar number with a 212 area code, picked up the phone to hear "Congratulations!" and my heart skipped a beat. Then I heard the rest of the message, "you've won a free trip to the Bahamas..." I was this close to throwing my phone at the wall...

Reactions: 5 users
Just got a phone call from an unfamiliar number with a 212 area code, picked up the phone to hear "Congratulations!" and my heart skipped a beat. Then I heard the rest of the message, "you've won a free trip to the Bahamas..." I was this close to throwing my phone at the wall...
That fcking sucks! FYI phone calls from CUMC probably will be 212-305-xxxx

This does seem to be it then, doesn't it....

Hard to let go of a dream I've had for years, especially when it feels like I'm so close, but I'm also happy to have an acceptance somewhere and honored to have been considered for admission by my dream school.

Good luck to everyone, I'm sure you'll all make wonderful physicians whether you have the opportunity to study at Columbia or elsewhere!

Reactions: 1 users
This does seem to be it then, doesn't it....

Hard to let go of a dream I've had for years, especially when it feels like I'm so close, but I'm also happy to have an acceptance somewhere and honored to have been considered for admission by my dream school.

Good luck to everyone, I'm sure you'll all make wonderful physicians whether you have the opportunity to study at Columbia or elsewhere!

I don't want to give up hope but I also don't want to keep my hopes up too high :(

I wish there was a better system for all this, especially a school like Columbia I can tell they really care about their students and applicants, but I feel like they gave me too much hope about getting off the waitlist :(

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to give up hope but I also don't want to keep my hopes up too high :(

I wish there was a better system for all this, especially a school like Columbia I can tell they really care about their students and applicants, but I feel like they gave me too much hope about getting off the waitlist :(

yea i def had too much hope too :( for some reason based on the various ppl i talked to it seemed like if you showed them that you really wanted to be there and that columbia is where you have your heart set then theres a good chance of getting off the waitlist so i did just that and i had hopes that it might work out but i guess not :(

Man I kinda regret giving up my spot in a pre-matriculation program to stay on this waitlist :(

Posted using SDN Mobile

So is there any chance of movement at this point?

i hope so but i feel like if any happens at this point im guessing it might be minimal? i'm not completely giving up hope until july hits...so i guess that only leaves like 2.5 days... :(

FWIW I called this morning and was told that wait list movement is still happening. There are a few spots left. Seems like it's almost done though.

I've done all I could do, and I've basically given up at this point.

I've done everything in my power short of going to the admissions office to get on my knees and beg. It's sad, but I'll consider myself fortunate if this is one of my biggest life disappointments. But, if it's any consolation, someone in the 2011-2012 columbia thread reported an acceptance on July 31, 2012...

I've done everything in my power short of going to the admissions office to get on my knees and beg. It's sad, but I'll consider myself fortunate if this is one of my biggest life disappointments. But, if it's any consolation, someone in the 2011-2012 columbia thread reported an acceptance on July 31, 2012...

:laugh: that's exactly how I feel

I've actually gone to the admissions office :-| I didn't get on my knees and beg, but still, definitely done absolutely everything in my power

Some things aren't meant to be :(

Posted using SDN Mobile