2013-2014 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think there is an actual list of applicants in order of who they will accept next. I think it's more that they have "groups" of applicants on the waiting list based on their stats and such. Therefore if one applicant withdraws with say a 4.0, 43 ORM, then they would look in the pool of applicants with similar stats to replace that person based on how similar and how much interest the applicants have expressed.

The personalized note may signify that you are "ranked" highly within your group but if no accepted student who would have been in your group withdraws, then you won't be accepted off the waitlist even if they liked your application a lot. Therefore, it's not truly ranked in the order of acceptance, but they do know who they would like to accept off the waitlist if a corresponding spot opens up. I'm not a student here or anything, I'm just trying to rationalize this process.
Yup

Members don't see this ad.

So... What happens to those of us that never got the physical wait-list letter? Should we contact admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow waitlisters (and others who might be able to answer my questions),

With regards to updates: I sent one in back in March a few days after being waitlisted, expressing my interest in the Columbia and how I felt the most comfortable there during my interview season, etc. and some modest academic updates.

With May approaching and with it the impending waitlist movement, I've been told that I should send in another update, the only problem is that I don't really have any -_- .... Well, at least nothing medical or academic. I thought about writing about updates regarding an EC that I'm involved in that has really shaped my experience over the last year and has taught me a lot about leadership etc, and how the P&S Club has something similar in it that I would like to be apart of, but would the school really care about that?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone not receive a confirmation email from the adcom after sending in an update letter after being waitlisted? It seems like most ppl here heard back with a quick thank you or something.

Did anyone not receive a confirmation email from the adcom after sending in an update letter after being waitlisted? It seems like most ppl here heard back with a quick thank you or something.

Me. I lol ed at reading this thread. This Columbia process is making us neurotic.

So..still didn't get my fin aid package. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hello fellow waitlisters (and others who might be able to answer my questions),

With regards to updates: I sent one in back in March a few days after being waitlisted, expressing my interest in the Columbia and how I felt the most comfortable there during my interview season, etc. and some modest academic updates.

With May approaching and with it the impending waitlist movement, I've been told that I should send in another update, the only problem is that I don't really have any -_- .... Well, at least nothing medical or academic. I thought about writing about updates regarding an EC that I'm involved in that has really shaped my experience over the last year and has taught me a lot about leadership etc, and how the P&S Club has something similar in it that I would like to be apart of, but would the school really care about that?

any insight into this?

Also, if I want to make sure that they have the proper summer contact info should I do that through an update letter, AMCAS, or another method?

Members don't see this ad :)
any insight into this?

Also, if I want to make sure that they have the proper summer contact info should I do that through an update letter, AMCAS, or another method?

I would do it through both amcas and an update letter. If youre really interested in getting off the waitlist another letter just to let them know that youre still there is helpful, even if there isnt much new to say.

I'm just curious, these merit awards that Columbia sends out (hoping to get a partial merit) do they go up to "full rides"? In other words is it possible to receive need based aid + a merit award to cover full cost of attendance?

I'm just curious, these merit awards that Columbia sends out (hoping to get a partial merit) do they go up to "full rides"? In other words is it possible to receive need based aid + a merit award to cover full cost of attendance?
Yes I believe it is possible or at least thats what the email to me said.

I was taken off the MSTP wait list yesterday, couldn't be happier! In case anyone is wondering, I sent a LOI when I first received the wait list decision and emailed the administrator twice about my status. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 1 users

Think so

Last edited:
Yes

This thread has been surprisingly quiet. Any news.........

Previous year first off WL at May 8th. GL!

Reactions: 3 users
I've sent in an update and a LOI since being waitlisted (approx 1 month apart) and I have one, very short, note that I wanted to add today. I noticed that in last year's thread there was reference to an email from Columbia around May 15th suggesting that "Hey! You should send us an update!" so I was wondering if I should wait for that email prompt to go out before I send in this last little note in order to maximize space between communications? Or should I just go for it now? Or is it useless at this point? Will they have already made all of their decisions?

P.S Also, as an afterthought...maybe I should mention that I also sent a pre-admissions decision LOI. Have I sent them too many things then? I want to express my undying love, but not if it ends up being too much.

#icantbelieveibecameacrazypremed

Just withdrew my acceptance here. GL to everyone on the waitlist, hope there's movement soon!

I've sent in an update and a LOI since being waitlisted (approx 1 month apart) and I have one, very short, note that I wanted to add today. I noticed that in last year's thread there was reference to an email from Columbia around May 15th suggesting that "Hey! You should send us an update!" so I was wondering if I should wait for that email prompt to go out before I send in this last little note in order to maximize space between communications? Or should I just go for it now? Or is it useless at this point? Will they have already made all of their decisions?

P.S Also, as an afterthought...maybe I should mention that I also sent a pre-admissions decision LOI. Have I sent them too many things then? I want to express my undying love, but not if it ends up being too much.

#icantbelieveibecameacrazypremed

I think youre over thinking it. I dont think sending another thing unless really really significant would change anything at this point. Just my opinion

A long time SDN lurker here (first post!!)

Has there been a significant waitlist movement at Columbia so far?

Not sure what the situation is as a whole, but I was accepted off the wait list a few weeks ago

Did you apply to their rural medicine program? I find it really hard to believe that waitlist movement started this early for the regular program.

edit - I am not an applicant here, just wanted to clarify this for others, lol.

How do we know if we successfully withdrew from all other schools and Columbia is the only one left? Is there a way to check on AMCAS?

Do we have to tell Columbia we are attending?

do you happen to know if a significant amt of movement has occurred or do you think most of it will be post may 15?
I called the admissions office yesterday and was told movement would start after the 15th, so if there's any prior I doubt its significant

There is movement prior yes, the bulk occurs after the fifteenth when people withdraw.

Just wanted to say that I don't post often but I check this thread vicariously and you're a big help to me and I assume many of us on the waitlist.

Just wanted to say that I don't post often but I check this thread vicariously and you're a big help to me and I assume many of us on the waitlist.
Just trying to be helpful so you're never embarrassed IRL: vicariously probably isn't the word you meant to use there.

I withdrew my acceptance yesterday. I hope one of you fine, deserving people gets my spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew as well! Best of luck to all of you hoping to get off the waitlist :)

This has probably been addressed already, but how long is Columbia's WL? Is it like 600-800 people?