2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So quiet :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A person who interviewed in February said that a "wave" of acceptances would be made last week. I'm sure some acceptances were made but those people just don't post on SDN. Based on last year's thread, I think more acceptances will come the first week of April.

A person who interviewed in February said that a "wave" of acceptances would be made last week. I'm sure some acceptances were made but those people just don't post on SDN. Based on last year's thread, I think more acceptances will come the first week of April.
Thanks.

Received notice of a 40k merit scholarship today, didn't even know they did scholarships! Completely unexpected.. Looks like Baylor it is

Reactions: 3 users
Received notice of a 40k merit scholarship today, didn't even know they did scholarships! Completely unexpected.. Looks like Baylor it is
Whoo. Nice. How long did it take them from when you sent in financial info?

wow! that's awesome! congrats! (i wish i had a scholarship here ha)

Reactions: 1 user
wow! that's awesome! congrats! (i wish i had a scholarship here ha)
I mean, BCM tuition almost has a 'built in' scholarship, seeing as it's 15-20k cheaper than almost all other private medical schools. If you're in-state, even better.

I mean, BCM tuition almost has a 'built in' scholarship, seeing as it's 15-20k cheaper than almost all other private medical schools. If you're in-state, even better.
ah i see. bcm actually gives out actual scholarships in addition to their inexpensive tuition

Members don't see this ad :)
The financial aid forms should be available in the link you were sent as an accepted student. Once you fill all those out, send them in (only possible via snail mail), and they receive them, they state that it takes about a 6 weeks to process your information and get back to you.

So filling out the FAFSA form is not the only thing one needs to do?

So filling out the FAFSA form is not the only thing one needs to do?
No. In the email they sent you after you were accepted, there's a link to a website with info about school. There's a financial aid website with forms to send in

Man, acceptances have deff. already gone out, I guess those people just don't post on here.

Looks like I probably won't even get the waitlist email tbh, as I think the bottom 1/3 are rejected post interview

Man, acceptances have deff. already gone out, I guess those people just don't post on here.

Looks like I probably won't even get the waitlist email tbh, as I think the bottom 1/3 are rejected post interview

You're right...acceptances have definitely already gone out, starting in October and November and continuing through now. As stated ad nauseum in this thread, they continue through April with numerous matriculants being accepted as late as May.

I wish I could sticky this in this thread...I must post it every couple of days lol

Reactions: 2 users
You're right...acceptances have definitely already gone out, starting in October and November and continuing through now. As stated ad nauseum in this thread, they continue through April with numerous matriculants being accepted as late as May.

I wish I could sticky this in this thread...I must post it every couple of days lol
I think we all know at this point, waiting just drives everyone crazy, especially us OOSers who know we're in for the long haul... provided we don't get the axe first.

^that's the best i've got. it's a solid list. lots of people going into very competitive specialties, and even the less competitive specialties (such as IM, Peds, Psych, etc) got into great programs (mgh, ucsf, columbia, michigan, vandy, etc). if anyone has questions about the list, lemme know. i also want to say that as awesome as our match list, please do not make your decision on a school (baylor or not) completely based off their rank list. a lot of people factor in location into their rank list and want to stay at their home institution b/c of family, already have a home, etc. it's also hard to understand a rank list if you aren't familiar with the different program reputations which varies across specialties (like did you know vandy for EM is like #1 while brigham isn't?) and it's difficult to interpret since frequently very competitive people go into fields that aren't as competitive (so don't just a match list based off of # of ENT, plastics, derms, rad-oncs, ortho, etc).

Which is why in these cases, when the specialty isn't as competitive (i.e. IM), it's important to see the institution that people match at, which for Baylor is excellent in comparison to say, it's neighbor across the street - UT Houston.

Don't OOSers qualify for in-state tuition after a year or something?

I received a merit scholarship last week as well, but a one-time 10k offer for MS1 year not a 40k. (I'm in-state and haven't done any financial app) Looks like Baylor for me too.

Don't OOSers qualify for in-state tuition after a year or something?
You can qualify, but you need to become a Texas resident. To do that, you either have to purchase property in Houston or have a spouse who is working for a year and paying taxes. It'll save you $~45,000 over the 3 years you can be considered "in-state."

We were truly quite stunned by the net value of BCM. After a 50% scholarship and establishing residence, we will have paid < $20k for all 4 years of tuition, which is FAR LESS than our lone in-state public medical school. All schools also have some fees to eat, but those seem to be somewhat similar. BCM allowed our daughter (now an MS2) to remain on our health insurance, which saved us some more $.

As to buying a condo to establish residence, there are options in the University area that are pretty reasonable (~$110k for a nice 2 BR 2 years ago)...and safe public transportation gets you to/from BCM for just $1.20/day at the student rate...you do NOT want to park around the school due to high cost of parking, except after hours, as ubiquitous poster "jturkel" has noted here earlier.

BCM bills itself as the most affordable private medical school...we would say-- show us a better value PERIOD, at least in our experience, especially given the proven results-- # 1 average in Step 1 scores (neck and neck w/Vandy lately) and exceptional residency matches. And students are happy and fulfilled at BCM with a true sense of purpose. It is quite a challenge, but hey, things worth attaining require a commitment.

We understood that we needed to acquire a condo, etc., before class began in year 1 in order to have the full year of residency in place by year 2. We also understood that the property needed to be only in the student's name, but someone earlier said they understood that it could be co-owned with parents. You can tell that students do buy real estate because the number shown as OOS in each class diminishes each year by class-- 45 in year 1, 30 in year 2, and so on.

During my interview, I thought the admissions dean said that applicants who had already been admitted elsewhere were not eligible for acceptance off Baylor's waitlist after May 15th. Does anyone else recall this, or am I just making things up? My interview was way back in September and my memory is hazy.

During my interview, I thought the admissions dean said that applicants who had already been admitted elsewhere were not eligible for acceptance off Baylor's waitlist after May 15th. Does anyone else recall this, or am I just making things up? My interview was way back in September and my memory is hazy.

I believe the rule is you can't be holding more than once acceptance after May 15, but you can still be accepted off of the waitlist after that date. If you are a Texas resident and are holding an acceptance to another Texas school, they can't offer you a spot off of the waitlist after June 1.

I see. So as an OOS applicant holding an OOS acceptance, I would not expected my candidacy at Baylor to be affected as the season progresses? Additionally, has anybody actually heard about the "drop-dead date" for IS admissions from a dean or other admissions staff member, or is this more word-of-mouth?

me see. So as an OOS applicant holding an OOS acceptance, me would not expected my candidacy at Baylor to be affected as the season progresses? Additionally, has anybody actually heard about the "drop-dead date" for IS admissions from a dean or other admissions staff member, or is this more word-of-mouth?

I'm pretty sure that's how it works because the June 1st deadline is only a deal between Baylor and the TMDSAS schools, but if you want to be sure I'd just send them a quick email and ask. What is the drop dead date that you're talking about?

Based on last year's thread, a number of offers should be made this Friday. *fingers crossed*

Based on last year's thread, a number of offers should be made this Friday. *fingers crossed*
Just saw your MDapps..I don't feel so bad for not hearing back yet either. Admissions makes no sense.

No. In the email they sent you after you were accepted, there's a link to a website with info about school. There's a financial aid website with forms to send in
Thanks so much, I found it and fedex to arrive Monday morning.

I think that I coined the term "drop-dead date" on this BCM forum. As I understand it, the Texas medical schools agreed not to accept Texas residents after early May. Ergo, acceptance off of the WL for BCM beyond May 1 is probably ONLY for OOS students. FWIW, they still have scholarship money available then...and again, they are already FAR LESS expensive than most private schools, and perhaps also various public schools, even considerably so.

re:

I'm pretty sure that's how it works because the June 1st deadline is only a deal between Baylor and the TMDSAS schools, but if you want to be sure I'd just send them a quick email and ask. What is the drop dead date that you're talking about?

I am currently filling out my FAFSA and I am on the "school selection" section. If I have not heard from Baylor yet, should I add them as a school? In the application it says that I can have up to 10 schools. Does this mean I should also add any schools that I would potential go to if I have been accepted off of a wait list as well? Thank you.

I think that I coined the term "drop-dead date" on this BCM forum. As I understand it, the Texas medical schools agreed not to accept Texas residents after early May. Ergo, acceptance off of the WL for BCM beyond May 1 is probably ONLY for OOS students. FWIW, they still have scholarship money available then...and again, they are already FAR LESS expensive than most private schools, and perhaps also various public schools, even considerably so.

re:

Looking back, Baylor threads from the past few years show numerous IS acceptance throughout the entire month of May, right up until May 31st. So I think the reality is that after June 1st, Texas medical schools have agreed to not admit IS applicants who have already been accepted to another Texas medical school. Which I guess mildly improves OOS chances in June and July, but I think you are already on pretty thin ice by then.

I am currently filling out my FAFSA and I am on the "school selection" section. If I have not heard from Baylor yet, should I add them as a school? In the application it says that I can have up to 10 schools. Does this mean I should also add any schools that I would potential go to if I have been accepted off of a wait list as well? Thank you.
You can always add them later, don't sweat it either way.

Does anyone know when the first day of classes for MS1s will be this year?

Has anyone heard back or know of someone who has heard back recently?

Has anyone heard back or know of someone who has heard back recently?

I was hoping today would see some acceptances like last year. If not today, I hope some more acceptances come soon!

Seriously no one has stated they've been accepted on this thread in a really long time. I understand not everyone uses SDN, but it would be really surprising that no one who posts here has heard back for the past month.

Reactions: 2 users
Is that whole changed status to "not supported" still a good sign? Also, did anyone get an email about doing a background check for AAMC recently?

Is that whole changed status to "not supported" still a good sign? Also, did anyone get an email about doing a background check for AAMC recently?

I really, really hope so, because I got that page too. The cynic in me thinks that, at this time in the year, it might just mean a decision has been made, not necessarily an acceptance. No email about background check, though.

Hey guys I just wanted to let t'all know that change in status to "not supported" is STILL a good sign of acceptance! Just got the call like 10 minutes ago!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I just wanted to let t'all know that change in status to "not supported" is STILL a good sign of acceptance! Just got the call like 10 minutes ago!

That is great to hear, impossibear! Congratulations :].