2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you not planning to go to BCM that have an acceptance, feel free to withdraw so some of us that are in desperate need of an acceptance can get it ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, so I got the email saying I'm on the final waitlist. Can you tell me a little about it?

Do you know how many get in off it?
Also the email mentioned you can get in to June, but I thought in state applicants can't be accepted anywhere else after like May 15 or something? So was that just a general email they sent or am I eligible to June?

Thanks

It works as so, If you are holding an acceptance to a Texas medical school, then you cannot be offered an acceptance to another Texas medical school after June 1st. People like me who for one reason or another only applied to Baylor (military issues) can still technically get picked up off the waitlist even after June 1st.

Looks like waiting continues for me. It's been too stressful to be stringed along again for next few months :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like waiting continues for me. It's been too stressful to be stringed along again for next few months :(
The email also says they cannot tell where you are on the WL. I guess we have no way to know if one is on top of the WL or not. What does everyone's status link say now?

Last edited:
It works as so, If you are holding an acceptance to a Texas medical school, then you cannot be offered an acceptance to another Texas medical school after June 1st. People like me who for one reason or another only applied to Baylor (military issues) can still technically get picked up off the waitlist even after June 1st.
This is false, that goes for the TMDSAS system (from what I've read). In the packet I received from the med school I got accepted to, it says that once orientation starts for either school then other schools can't offer you a position. The waitlist email I got says that they will offer spots till mid june, which is close to the time that orientation is? Considering that baylor starts in early July.

This is false, that goes for the TMDSAS system (from what I've read). In the packet I received from the med school I got accepted to, it says that once orientation starts for either school then other schools can't offer you a position. The waitlist email I got says that they will offer spots till mid june, which is close to the time that orientation is? Considering that baylor starts in early July.
For IS, it is only up to the end of May.

For IS, it is only up to the end of May.

It's only until the end of May for IS students if you are holding an acceptance to another Texas school. This doesn't apply to IS or OOS students who don't already have an acceptance in Texas. Those students can receive an offer up until school starts.

He/she was correct. The June 1st offer deadline is between TMDSAS schools and Baylor.

You can check the BCM admissions website like I did and see that what I said is fairly accurate. It doesn't say whether IS or OOS makes a difference, just if you have an acceptance to another Texas medical school. Here is the appropriate information direct from BMC

In deference to alternate wait-listed applicants, no places are offered to individuals already holding a place at another medical school in Texas after June 1.

This is taken from https://www.bcm.edu/admissions/acceptance

I got the wait-list email as well, but I was no longer planning on going here even if I got in (just wanted to see if I could ;)), but since they had that little blip at the end, I'm withdrawing my app so it's one less they have to go through to look at y'all's!

It's only until the end of May for IS students if you are holding an acceptance to another Texas school. This doesn't apply to IS students who don't already have an acceptance or OOS students. Those students can receive an offer up until school starts.

He/she was correct. The June 1st offer deadline is between TMDSAS schools and Baylor.
I see you beet me to it... lol

Does anyone know if Baylor rejects?
I'm wondering how massive the wait list is

Is everyone now getting the "problem retrieving your record" on the status page?

Also methodical - at my interview weekend, they said no one is rejected, you just either get off the waitlist or you don't. Sounds like everyone who interviewed is waitlisted. :\

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone now getting the "problem retrieving your record" on the status page?

Also methodical - at my interview weekend, they said no one is rejected, you just either get off the waitlist or you don't. Sounds like everyone who interviewed is waitlisted. :\

Mine also says "problem retrieving your record" on the file completion/status page. I got the wait list email around noon as well today. I'm interested to know whether anyone else besides us got this weird message on the status page... It says the following.

There was a problem retrieving your record.
Possible reasons:
  • You may not have used your AAMC ID for the supplemental application. This should have been the same AAMC ID assigned to you on the AMCAS web application.
  • We may not have received your electronic record from AMCAS.
What does this mean!
Also, was the "bottom of the wait list being rejected" thing a myth?
I seriously wonder what the chances are from here on out.

Mine also says "problem retrieving your record" on the file completion/status page. I got the wait list email around noon as well today. I'm interested to know whether anyone else besides us got this weird message on the status page... It says the following.

Possible reasons:
  • You may not have used your AAMC ID for the supplemental application. This should have been the same AAMC ID assigned to you on the AMCAS web application.
What does this mean!

I also have this message, but didn't receive the waitlist e-mail. Maybe I'm one of those rare rejections everyone seems to be wondering about.

Possible reasons:
What does this mean!
I think everyone has the same status now. It would be nice if we know where on the WL we are ranked..........

Hey man, so I got the email saying I'm on the final waitlist. Can you tell me a little about it?

Do you know how many get in off it?
Also the email mentioned you can get in to June, but I thought in state applicants can't be accepted anywhere else after like May 15 or something? So was that just a general email they sent or am I eligible to June?

Thanks

i dont have a number, but there is usually a good amount of movement. i know quite a few people in my class who got off the list in early mid may

Just waitlisted...don't know what to make of it. So does everybody that interview get the waitlist email?

no. a small amount get rejected

Does anyone know if Baylor rejects?
I'm wondering how massive the wait list is

yes. a small amount. the waitlist is (--------------------------) this big. jk idk. but there is a good amount of movement on the waitlist each yr

What's the dress code for Second look weekend? There is scheduled clinical rounds which suggests formal attire but the other activities can be done in shorts and a T-shirt....

Don't lose hope WLers! Even if things don't work out for you this round, you might have better luck next year. I know that's probably the last thing you all want to hear right now, but trust me when I say that one more year is not going to make any difference in your future and it may even help you a lot! I applied last year and got rejected from everywhere. This year has been very stressful waiting all year and wondering if I was going to have another repeat of what happened last time! And then all of the sudden I got accepted to Baylor, my number one choice! Things have definitely paid off and I am super excited for the chance to start here and super thankful for the extra time I've had this past year to learn more about medicine. I know exactly what it is like to be in your shoes right now, but I can honestly tell you already that I have absolutely no regrets about waiting one year! I hope you all get the chance to get in this year. But if not, don't sweat it! You're going to be fine in the end.

I was also wondering about the dress code for the second look. If anyone knows what it is, please let us know. And have any of the accepted students received their packet in the mail yet? I have been waiting for it since the call, but there's still no sign of it. Thanks!

Hey folks!

Just talked with the admissions office! They said that the dress for the second look tonight and tomorrow is business casual. She also suggested that we wear comfortable shoes for the clinical rounds tomorrow. Can't wait to see some of you there!

Hi! Are there any Baylor upperclassmen on this thread who are looking to sell their condos? I am trying to establish residency after my first year. Message me if so! Thanks!

Hi! Are there any Baylor upperclassmen on this thread who are looking to sell their condos? I am trying to establish residency after my first year. Message me if so! Thanks!

If you join the Baylor Class of 2018 facebook page, there's plenty of upperclassmen selling condos on there.

If OOS, and you have the capacity, by all means buy a condo...2 years ago, we bought a nice, updated 2 br/2ba in the University area for what this dad considered to be an attractive price...14-minute public bus ride each way ($1.20/day for a student). Safe enough (gated entry) for our daughter the MS2. We will have saved close to $40k net by establishing residence prior to year 1 matriculation in 2012.

Nothing but the highest praise from our family for the superior net value of BCM...much better than our lone public instate medical school (>$80k less net)...the chart below is before possible merit scholarships/grants at BCM...good luck, folks! ;~)

School Tuition (State Resident) Tuition (Non-resident)
BCM
$6,550 $19,650
Average Private Medical Schools
$44,060 $45,605
Average Public Medical Schools
$26,300 $48,330

Heck, it goofed up my chart...here, hopefully, is the page link :)--

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/college-of-medicine/

Lodestar, i always appreciate your advice, but after receiving my financial aid package, I feel Baylor is misleading people with that super low tuition rate. Other schools may have higher tuition, but Baylor hides ~15k in fees and book prices, so the actual cost of attendance is closer to $45k (I'm OOS). It's still a great school, and definitely on the lower end cost-wise, but I was definitely caught off guard with the huge loan I was given, thinking I was at one of the cheapest schools in the country.

Lodestar, i always appreciate your advice, but after receiving my financial aid package, I feel Baylor is misleading people with that super low tuition rate. Other schools may have higher tuition, but Baylor hides ~15k in fees and book prices, so the actual cost of attendance is closer to $45k (I'm OOS). It's still a great school, and definitely on the lower end cost-wise, but I was definitely caught off guard with the huge loan I was given, thinking I was at one of the cheapest schools in the country.
I think, at the end of the day, the best approach is to talk to students and see which fees are valid and what aren't. For example, some schools put in $3,000 for visiting home .. Unless you literally fly home monthly, you're never going to make that quota. Best to hear from more advanced students what costs you
will actually need and which ones you can skip.

I understand your point (hey, total costs are total costs), and I am certainly no expert on relative fees, but as I recall other medical schools also often charge some bodacious fees. I alluded to our lone state medical school (middling rep)-- tuition ALONE instate there is >$27k (with very few scholarships), plus at least $6k in fees/books (plus others not itemized), or roughly $33k+ total/year.

In marked contrast, even given ~$10k in fees, BCM for us (net of 50% tuition scholarships) is WAY LESS per year-- less than half our in-state school. And Houston is well cheaper in COL than locations like Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, S.F., Philly, L.A., Boston. Plus, Houston is a great city for young people, and flights are myriad, unlike, say, Chapel Hill, Durham or Charlottesville.

Peer private schools like Emory are astronomically expensive ($48k/year for tuition/fees before any scholarships)...Duke is a cool $58k/year...Washington U. (St.L.) is $56k...peer public UTSW runs about $35k OOS. None of these figures includes living expenses (Duke estimates those at >~$16k). Some offer nice financial assistance, but 50% of $50k+ is STILL a boatload of $!

Just 1 family's experience...YMMV.
Does your $45k figure for BCM perhaps include estimated living expenses? Most medical students have no choice but to borrow those also. One guy accepted to Emory earlier passed because he would have had to borrow ~ $300k all-in for the 4 years.

Last edited:
I take out no loans, and tuition + fees for me (OOS) is about 29K/year. The rest of that money in your loan must be for something else. It's not going to BCM.

Hopefully waitlist movement occurs this week like it did last year. :)

Reactions: 1 users

You've already received your financial aid package? I'm still twiddling my thumbs, waiting anxiously for mine. The fees will definitely get you. I checked and in 2005 it seems that they were closer to 3k or 4k a year as opposed to the 11k that they are now. *sweats bullets*

Does anyone know of someone who has received an offer from the waitlist yet?

thought it would be last Friday. That's when it came out last year but I think we have a week or two lag this year maybe. So maybe this Friday.

and there was a good amount of movement this week last year. So could be as early as tomorrow. Who knows. It depends on a lot of factors like if the committee members had their coffee in the morning or not.

Committee members drank their coffee today– got a call at 5p eastern time. Waitlist is movin' fellas. Big thank you to the guys who withdrew in a timely fashion!

Reactions: 4 users
Committee members drank their coffee today– got a call at 5p eastern time. Waitlist is movin' fellas. Big thank you to the guys who withdrew in a timely fashion!

Congratulations!! I hope my call is coming soon! Would you mind telling us your GPA and MCAT?

Congratulations!! I hope my call is coming soon! Would you mind telling us your GPA and MCAT?
I'm a somewhat nontraditional applicant, so my stats are probably less relevant without the entire picture, but GPA3.4 (Yale), MCAT 34.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a somewhat nontraditional applicant, so my stats are probably less relevant without the entire picture, but GPA3.4 (Yale), MCAT 34.

I've always wondered why people ask for other people's "stats" after they get accepted..it just seems a little odd and in bad taste as it has no impact on anyone else's acceptance and quite frankly isn't anyone else's business. But to each their own I suppose.

Reactions: 3 users
I've always wondered why people ask for other people's "stats" after they get accepted..it just seems a little odd and in bad taste as it has no impact on anyone else's acceptance and quite frankly isn't anyone else's business. But to each their own I suppose.
I remember someone this year asking accepted people if Baylor was their top choice. I don't mind stats, but I thought that crossed the line. He did say they weren't obligated to respond, which is true I suppose

Agreed. To be fair, though, it took me a few months of the application process to realize that if someone with a 32, 3.6 had gotten an interview or received an acceptance, that didn't mean I'd been "passed over," or that a notification for someone with better stats than mine didn't mean that mine might be soon coming ..

You've already received your financial aid package? I'm still twiddling my thumbs, waiting anxiously for mine. The fees will definitely get you. I checked and in 2005 it seems that they were closer to 3k or 4k a year as opposed to the 11k that they are now. *sweats bullets*

Yeah, it took quite a while to receive it, but considering they are calculating ~180+ I guess it would take a while. It was just all loans though. Also, I think I mistyped earlier. It was like 30k for OOS tuition+fees. I think I put 46k (which includes books and a mistyped 4 instead of 3) Then there is 5k for books, but from the Facebook page, most students suggest not actually buying them.

I was hoping for a scholarship notification, but I'm afraid that it's too late for that.

Got a scholarship package yesterday! I forgot to send in that 300$ deposit and I got the email about an hour after I paid it. Good luck everyone!

Got a scholarship package yesterday! I forgot to send in that 300$ deposit and I got the email about an hour after I paid it. Good luck everyone!
Had you already received a financial package before and then after you sent in the $300 deposit, they notified you got a scholarship package?

Got the phone call about an hour ago!! Beyond excited. Good luck to those still waiting!

IS/3.95/33

Reactions: 3 users