2012-2013 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance post - interview decisions from early February are going out this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent a message to the admissions office yesterday asking for an update. Here's the reply:

Dear X,

"Your application is scheduled to be presented at the meeting tomorrow. Once any decision has been made you will be notified by E-mail. Thank you."

Interviewed 2/25/13.

Have any of the acceptees received scholarship awards yet? If so, when were you accepted, when did you submit FA info, and when were you notified of any awards?

Are the SOMs waiting for the AMCAS list to see where else their students have been accepted to so as to determine enticements to protect yield??

Last edited:
Have any of the acceptees received scholarship awards yet? If so, when were you accepted, when did you submit FA info, and when were you notified of any awards?

Are the SOMs waiting for the AMCAS list to see where else their students have been accepted to so as to determine enticements to protect yield??

That list went out already

Isn't all the aid need-based (the maximum you can get is 10k of grants)? So they don't really have to worry about yield in determining financial aid anyway.

oh good...when did it go out? I thought it went out the first week of April.

According to the AAMC, "In the spring of each application cycle (usually in early April), schools will have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report, which will show them which of their accepted applicants are holding acceptances from other schools."

So it's usually April, but I guess it could be a bit early too.

Relocation of the Health Resource Clinic (HRC): Several years ago, the HRC student leadership, under the guidance of Lauren Page and Ashley Haegele, diligently searched for a new location for the student-run clinic, currently located at 1371 Hamilton Ave. in Hamilton Heights. It was important to the students that the new location be accessible to the residents of the Hamilton Heights neighborhood. Several possible locations were considered seriously, but none could be brought to completion. With the recent help of University trustee Eva Frazer, M.D., a new home for the HRC was found in the Victor Roberts Building at 1408 North Kingshighway. This year’s second year student leaders, Jeff Desmidt, Ray Kreienkamp, Rachel Lieberman, Vinaya Mulkareddy, Frances Ue, and William Wung, have worked with Design and Construction and School of Medicine administration to design and plan the new clinic space. Construction of a new home for the HRC is expected to start soon.

Medical Center Library: The Medical Center library recently installed 16 new high-capacity desktop computers for student and faculty use, including eight workstations on the "bridge" area between the Learning Resources Center (LRC) and the Caroline Building, and another eight throughout the library. There are now 31 desktop computers available for student and faculty use. In the coming weeks, the library will replace and upgrade five laptop computers that can be checked out for use in the library, bringing the total number of available laptops to 29.

Admissions: The interview season for applicants to the Class of 2017 that began in September is coming to a close. Thus far, the Committee on Admissions has interviewed 853 applicants with 391 posited in the class. Of those, 60 percent are women and 9 percent are minorities. This year the national applicant pool reached 46,084, an increase of 6.2 percent over last year. Saint Louis University School of Medicine received 6,637 total applicants, an increase over last year of 9.3 percent.

Clinical Simulation Center Expansion: The Clinical Simulation Center located in the lower level of the LRC has been expanded to house additional task trainers and four new high fidelity simulators purchased by the Air Force CSTARS program. One new simulation lab, a room for low fidelity simulators and task trainers, and two small group classrooms with AV technology installation, including interactive touch-panel controls and large LCD displays, opened in January.

Relocation of the Health Resource Clinic (HRC): Several years ago, the HRC student leadership, under the guidance of Lauren Page and Ashley Haegele, diligently searched for a new location for the student-run clinic, currently located at 1371 Hamilton Ave. in Hamilton Heights. It was important to the students that the new location be accessible to the residents of the Hamilton Heights neighborhood. Several possible locations were considered seriously, but none could be brought to completion. With the recent help of University trustee Eva Frazer, M.D., a new home for the HRC was found in the Victor Roberts Building at 1408 North Kingshighway. This year's second year student leaders, Jeff Desmidt, Ray Kreienkamp, Rachel Lieberman, Vinaya Mulkareddy, Frances Ue, and William Wung, have worked with Design and Construction and School of Medicine administration to design and plan the new clinic space. Construction of a new home for the HRC is expected to start soon.

Medical Center Library: The Medical Center library recently installed 16 new high-capacity desktop computers for student and faculty use, including eight workstations on the "bridge" area between the Learning Resources Center (LRC) and the Caroline Building, and another eight throughout the library. There are now 31 desktop computers available for student and faculty use. In the coming weeks, the library will replace and upgrade five laptop computers that can be checked out for use in the library, bringing the total number of available laptops to 29.

Admissions: The interview season for applicants to the Class of 2017 that began in September is coming to a close. Thus far, the Committee on Admissions has interviewed 853 applicants with 391 posited in the class. Of those, 60 percent are women and 9 percent are minorities. This year the national applicant pool reached 46,084, an increase of 6.2 percent over last year. Saint Louis University School of Medicine received 6,637 total applicants, an increase over last year of 9.3 percent.

Clinical Simulation Center Expansion: The Clinical Simulation Center located in the lower level of the LRC has been expanded to house additional task trainers and four new high fidelity simulators purchased by the Air Force CSTARS program. One new simulation lab, a room for low fidelity simulators and task trainers, and two small group classrooms with AV technology installation, including interactive touch-panel controls and large LCD displays, opened in January.

So using US News numbers as a guideline (576 accepted), we can anticipate another ~185 spots to open up and filled by the waitlist?

[edit: right now I'm not taking into account any pending or future post-interview decisions; so assuming that there's still about 150 interviews to go with an average acceptance throughout the cycle of ~50%, it's closer to 100 from the WL]

oh good...when did it go out? I thought it went out the first week of April.

According to the AAMC, "In the spring of each application cycle (usually in early April), schools will have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report, which will show them which of their accepted applicants are holding acceptances from other schools."

So it's usually April, but I guess it could be a bit early too.

Oh, my mistake. I thought I read somewhere that it went out in March.

i dont remember if i read this somewhere or someone told it to me, but i heard that by the later interview dates you are pretty much just interviewing for a spot on the waitlist. i interviewed 2/25 and i would love to believe it's not true. can anyone confirm or deny?

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont remember if i read this somewhere or someone told it to me, but i heard that by the later interview dates you are pretty much just interviewing for a spot on the waitlist. i interviewed 2/25 and i would love to believe it's not true. can anyone confirm or deny?

More than likely, you're interviewing for a waitlist spot. But you never know, perhaps a couple more acceptances will go out to recent interviewees.

Idk, but I interviewed on 2/11 and still haven't heard back :(

Anyone fill out the FAFSA yet? The school code I found on the SLUSOM website lists the school's code as 002506-- the same code as the undergraduate school, which means the tuition listed on the FAFSA is 33,000 and not the 47,000 it actually is.

Just got waitlisted :( Interviewed 2/12. And I thought I knocked the interview went really well :/

Has anyone received their financial aid packet?

And is SLU a *true* pass/fail school?

Wait listed today, interviewed 2/25. I'm assuming most wait list movement happens after may 15? Anyone know what the odds are of being pulled off the alternate list?

Why so late?! I can't decide on which school to attend because everyone is dragging their feet on financial aid.

Just got a request to update contact information for the alternate list.

So do you basically check "yes" and upload it to the Word document to the site?

Just got a request to update contact information for the alternate list.

Same.

I'm curious if every email had this statement in it or whether it was just a subtle way to indicate Waitlist rank. Did everyone's email have "The committee wishes to emphasize that you were chosen as an alternate over numerous able competitors" in it? My friend who also got the email asked me if mine said that and it did, but now he has me wondering if that's said to everyone or just certain people.

Same.

I'm curious if every email had this statement in it or whether it was just a subtle way to indicate Waitlist rank. Did everyone's email have "The committee wishes to emphasize that you were chosen as an alternate over numerous able competitors" in it? My friend who also got the email asked me if mine said that and it did, but now he has me wondering if that's said to everyone or just certain people.

I'm pretty sure everyone got the same email.

I'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone. And that wording annoys me a little because I was under the impression that they put everyone they didn't accept on the waitlist.

For those who are still deciding where to go, here is an email I got from a professor

The exam tomorrow will consist of 75 questions with the following breakdown: Westfall - 50; Baldassare - 20; Flaherty - 5

There will be donuts, rolls, orange juice, tea and coffee for you starting around 8:30 in Room LRC 109a.

Good Luck

Gotta go for the donut :)

I'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone. And that wording annoys me a little because I was under the impression that they put everyone they didn't accept on the waitlist.

That's what I was assuming. But this is the exact reason my friend thought the wording was almost misleading. Oh well, it is what it is I guess!

That's what I was assuming. But this is the exact reason my friend thought the wording was almost misleading. Oh well, it is what it is I guess!

Not sure what the confusion is...If 6,000 people applied and 5,000 were rejected, then a waitlisted applicant would be in the top 5/6 percentile group.

Not sure what the confusion is...If 6,000 people applied and 5,000 were rejected, then a waitlisted applicant would be in the top 5/6 percentile group.

I'm talking about people who were interviewed...

I'm talking about people who were interviewed...

Yeah, but I think "numerous able competitors" = "all applicants" in their statement. Oddly worded though, either way.

For those who are still deciding where to go, here is an email I got from a professor

The exam tomorrow will consist of 75 questions with the following breakdown: Westfall - 50; Baldassare - 20; Flaherty - 5

There will be donuts, rolls, orange juice, tea and coffee for you starting around 8:30 in Room LRC 109a.

Good Luck

Gotta go for the donut :)

I've been craving donuts... good thing I already plan on attending :)

Withdrew my acceptance here. Loved the school but will be attending closer to my family.

Good luck to everyone waitlisted here! Hope one of you gets my spot.

Withdrew my acceptance here. Loved the school but will be attending closer to my family.

Good luck to everyone waitlisted here! Hope one of you gets my spot.

Hey thanks for withdrawing. Also I was trying to click on the banners in your MDprofile, but it didn't open. Idk it's just me or not. But please fix it when you have time. Your MDprofile looks awesome.

Hey thanks for withdrawing. Also I was trying to click on the banners in your MDprofile, but it didn't open. Idk it's just me or not. But please fix it when you have time. Your MDprofile looks awesome.

Thanks - I've had some trouble with it on Internet Explorer but Chrome/Safari seem to work fine. Are you using IE? Just want to see if others are having this problem on a different browser...

Edit: Firefox should work too, but I might be wrong.

Thanks - I've had some trouble with it on Internet Explorer but Chrome/Safari seem to work fine. Are you using IE? Just want to see if others are having this problem on a different browser...

Edit: Firefox should work too, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the update.
Chrome/Safari work for me, but not Firefox. I don't have IE.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
Chrome/Safari work for me, but not Firefox. I don't have IE.
Any word on financial aid? I'm pretty set on another school, but just waiting to see if financial aid award from SLU might be generous enough to re-consider withdrawing. Thanks!

Haven't heard anything about financial aid from SLU. Wasn't today supposed to be the day?

Just withdrew from the alternate list after acceptance elsewhere. I don't know if I was ranked highly, but hopefully someone else will get pulled off now that there's one less in competition!

Good luck everyone!

I think SLU only gives $5k and $10k, so if $10k isn't enough to convince you then you might as well withdraw.

Not sure that's correct. I did get a 5k scholarship yearly but that 10k is a hard upper limit doesn't seem right to me.

I think SLU only gives $5k and $10k, so if $10k isn't enough to convince you then you might as well withdraw.

Not sure that's correct. I did get a 5k scholarship yearly but that 10k is a hard upper limit doesn't seem right to me.

I've only ever heard of 5k and 10k scholarships. Don't think anything else is available.

Well the financial aid people at the interview day talked about $5k and $10k scholarships as the only merit based ones available.

The scholarships are need-based. We don't have any merit-based money.

so has anyone heard about financial aid yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.