2012-2013 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know SLU's policy about refunding the $100 deposit? I can't find any info about it online or in the emails I've received.

I just withdrew after getting financial aid packet. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked my financial aid status by logging on to myslu, the link is myslu.slu.edu . Use the login username and password provided in your email which I received shortly after I was accepted. After you log in, click the "Student" tab on at the right of the page. Then look at the bottom left of the page, you see "Financial Aid Award." Mine was posted there.

Last edited:
I checked my financial aid status by logging on to myslu, the link is myslu.slu.edu . Use the login username and password provided in your email which I received shortly after I was accepted. After you log in, click the "Student" tab on at the right of the page. Then look at the bottom left of the page, you see "Financial Aid Award." Mine was posted there.

+1 :thumbup:

Does anyone know SLU's policy about refunding the $100 deposit? I can't find any info about it online or in the emails I've received.

After emailing them to withdraw yesterday, they responded today saying that they have requested for my $100 refund, and will forward it to me within 2-3 weeks... Sounds like we will be getting our refund check in the mail...

Does anyone know if there has been any movement off the waitlist or when most of the movement will occur?

I only saw a federal unsubsidized and grad plus loan listed on my portal....I'm guessing that if I was awarded a scholarship by now I would have seen it in addition to the two loans? I'm also guessing that I'm expected to supply the rest of the cost of attendance myself?

I only saw a federal unsubsidized and grad plus loan listed on my portal....I'm guessing that if I was awarded a scholarship by now I would have seen it in addition to the two loans? I'm also guessing that I'm expected to supply the rest of the cost of attendance myself?

How much were you awarded? The CoA is $69,718...the gov't changed it recently, but I believe it should be $20,500 in unsubsidized stafford loans and then $49,218 in Grad PLUS loans. What do you need to supply yourself?

I have $40k of unsubsidized loans and $29k of Direct Grad PLUS loans, which is pretty typical for most schools. That should be more than sufficient - basically, tuition is about $48k and the rest (about $21k) is meant for living expenses, miscellaneous fees, etc. That turns into somewhere around $1750/month if you stretch it for the whole year, or $2100/month if you use it for 10 month's worth of living expenses, as the school intends (or however long their academic year is). I don't know if you are married or not, but especially if you're single, that should be plenty.

How much were you awarded? The CoA is $69,718...the gov't changed it recently, but I believe it should be $20,500 in unsubsidized stafford loans and then $49,218 in Grad PLUS loans. What do you need to supply yourself?

When I initially checked I thought it wasn't enough, but I didn't have the CoA numbers nearby. No longer worried. But going back to my primary question, if I was awarded a scholarship I would have been able to see it under my awards by now, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I initially checked I thought it wasn't enough, but I didn't have the CoA numbers nearby. No longer worried. But going back to my primary question, if I was awarded a scholarship I would have been able to see it under my awards by now, correct?

Probably, although can't say for sure. Also, some people get the scholarship during their first year of med school (and from there on out).

I asked this question in an email to the financial aid office recently... I didn't get a direct response, but I did get an answer that led me to believe that I hadn't been awarded any university aid (because it didn't show up in the myslu portal).

Probably, although can't say for sure. Also, some people get the scholarship during their first year of med school (and from there on out).

However, as JDOC said, some first years get aid a little later in the year. To be precise, the reply I received said they go through all the apps and award based on need (around now). They rank all applicants, and then in October, they go through and re-award the rest of the money that those who ultimately matriculated at other schools had been awarded at SLU to begin with. So it sounds like there's still hope in October. Also, as an anecdote, I know a current first year who got his award a few months into the year this year as well.

There's also a university loan available for 5k per year, if you don't think your award will cover you for the year.

withdrew acceptance here a few weeks ago. got my $100 back, for those womdering about refund.

good luck!

Withdrew....tough decision and loved the school, but east coast rules!

Withdrew as well to attend my #1 choice. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

May 15th. It is so quite. Anyone has idea about the waitlist movement, supposedly to start from now on?

Withdrew to attend my #1 choice. Best wishes for those who are on the WL. Good luck!!!

are there any forms/documents that we need to fill out between submission of deposit and matriculation?

I get the feeling that because SLU is private, they don't have a ranked WL that they just go to whenever there is a declination. Instead, they meet to decide who should replace that person based on sex, region, etc...so that they can keep a certain class makeup. I wouldn't be surprised if the adcoms meet soon to go over who has declined and who they want to replace those people.

Don't know if they are more likely going to choose people who don't have an instate public acceptance (or any acceptances).

Question for JDOC or anyone else who might know the answer...

I heard somewhere that SLU gives a hard ranking for the waitlist so are these rankings locked after May 15? I ask because I don't know if I should spend time writing up an update letter for them or just let it be.

Oh, and just food for thought, it looks like we'll probably hear about any movement on 5/22. The first acceptances have always come out on a Wed for the last couple years.

I get the feeling that because SLU is private, they don't have a ranked WL that they just go to whenever there is a declination. Instead, they meet to decide who should replace that person based on sex, region, etc...so that they can keep a certain class makeup. I wouldn't be surprised if the adcoms meet soon to go over who has declined and who they want to replace those people.

Don't know if they are more likely going to choose people who don't have an instate public acceptance (or any acceptances).

I heard somewhere that SLU gives a hard ranking for the waitlist so are these rankings locked after May 15? I ask because I don't know if I should spend time writing up an update letter for them or just let it be.

My guess would be that since SLU is not a public school, it doesn't have quotas and thus doesn't accept off the waitlist just based on sex, region, etc. I think it would be closer to a "hard rank" since everyone gets a "score" and is likely ranked based on that score. But with that said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that end up having the same score and thus an update letter could help break the tie. But that's pretty much all speculation by me. In any case, an update letter never hurts.

My guess would be that since SLU is not a public school, it doesn't have quotas and thus doesn't accept off the waitlist just based on sex, region, etc. I think it would be closer to a "hard rank" since everyone gets a "score" and is likely ranked based on that score. But with that said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that end up having the same score and thus an update letter could help break the tie. But that's pretty much all speculation by me. In any case, an update letter never hurts.

That's a good point about tied rankings. I guess I'll go ahead and write that letter. Thanks. :)

Originally Posted by JDOC13

It's the other way around. publics don't use quotas, but privates do. Privates care about regional diversity, having a 50/50 male/female ratio, etc.

Is anyone else getting a "server error" when they check their status on the secondary site?

Hey guys random question, and don't read too much into it (honestly), but does SLU require a drug test prior to first year (or third year for that matter)? Just curious because I heard Wash U does.

Our dean of student affairs passed away suddenly yesterday. Not sure how much work will get done in the admissions office today.

I'm really sorry to hear that. If he was the same person who visited people at interviews, he seemed like a very nice person.

Our dean of student affairs passed away suddenly yesterday. Not sure how much work will get done in the admissions office today.

yeah sorry to hear that. Do you know of any time frame when wait-listers will begin to be accepted? I am going out of the country, and need to make plans in case I were to get called up

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to everyone at SLU SOM.

The new class never knew him, but trust me when I say that losing him is a big loss for for everyone, current and future students.

Hey guys random question, and don't read too much into it (honestly), but does SLU require a drug test prior to first year (or third year for that matter)? Just curious because I heard Wash U does.

Yes. Requires one around the end of first year or so.

I guess either the admissions office are really taking their time, or that none of us are part of the first wave.

I guess either the admissions office are really taking their time, or that none of us are part of the first wave.

Well they only send out acceptances on Wed and they couldn't do it this week for obvious reasons. Something tells me the first wave hasn't come out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.