2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im going to be out of the country for a month, how do I tell them to call my dad while I'm gone?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if the bulk of waitlist acceptances are made after may 15? It seems there has been a lot of waitlist movement already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say less than 10 people got off recently, if the facebook page is anything to go on. I think the majority will be after May 15th.

Congrats to all of you who were recently accepted!! Since you guys were admitted before May 15 though, were you given an extended deadline to make your final choice or do you have to decide by May 15?

Well it seems like the big day of wait list movement starting is nearly upon us so I just wanted to drop by the P&S thread to wish everyone the best of luck! Been a long cycle for us, let's hope it comes to a close the way we want in the coming weeks. Every one of us on the wait list here deserves it, so here's to us all hopefully being together come White Coat Ceremony!

Well it seems like the big day of wait list movement starting is nearly upon us so I just wanted to drop by the P&S thread to wish everyone the best of luck! Been a long cycle for us, let's hope it comes to a close the way we want in the coming weeks. Every one of us on the wait list here deserves it, so here's to us all hopefully being together come White Coat Ceremony!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Fiji! I hope you hear some good news soon. I'm rooting for ya and the rest of us on this thread! Can't believe it's been a year since we started with our primaries. Wow. Good luck guys!!:xf::xf:

Best of luck to you Fiji! You been a great positive presence here, ill definitely have my fingers crossed for you!

:thumbup: :owle:

Just officially withdrew all my other acceptances. Some of them hurt a lot lol but nothing beats Columbia. See you all in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone who's gotten off the WL received finaid info yet?

About how much movement has there been already, and how much can we expect in the next few days? it's been an emotional roller coaster all year, and i'm starting to think that if i don't hear anything from waitlist schools, i shouldn't hope for much anymore

How would you be able to tell if a scholarship is merit based? I ask because I got some scholarship money as part of my standard FA packet, but given both my need & my grades, I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't merit.

How would you be able to tell if a scholarship is merit based? I ask because I got some scholarship money as part of my standard FA packet, but given both my need & my grades, I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't merit.

If it's merit, they send you a letter and let you know it is.

generally when does the big rush of waitlist movement end for columbia? would the chances of being accepted after may 20th be really slim? wondering because i am making travel plans, and the end date of my trip would depend on whether i need to get back for orientation.

Well it hasn't really started yet. I just called admissions because I'm neurotic and they said they don't have an official start day/time but that in the next week to expect it to start. So... I know that's not what you want to hear for the sake of planning your trip, but who knows if it will have really kicked in by the 20th.

Christ, give me a freaking heart attack. Any time an email from psadmissions comes up my gut drops.

Christ, give me a freaking heart attack. Any time an email from psadmissions comes up my gut drops.
Haha, Ditto!

I'm really hoping to get off Columbia's waitlist. I'm already in at a great school but I received a TERRIBLE financial aid package. I hear P&S's financial aid is really good. Can anyone confirm this?

Best of luck to everyone on the alternate list!

Haha, Ditto!

I'm really hoping to get off Columbia's waitlist. I'm already in at a great school but I received a TERRIBLE financial aid package. I hear P&S's financial aid is really good. Can anyone confirm this?

Seems like YMMV. Mine was all loans and suggested looking into borrowing from my family.

Anyone know how many people are typically taken off the waitlist? I know around 50 usually accept but how many are offered?

#Anxious

Is it safe to assume that the recommendation to submit an update is for people who have not been doing so regularly? I sent one a few weeks back and have absolutely nothing to add at this point.

That's how I'm reading into it. I sent them an update a little more than two weeks ago. There's nothing to say but I love you.

generally when does the big rush of waitlist movement end for columbia? would the chances of being accepted after may 20th be really slim? wondering because i am making travel plans, and the end date of my trip would depend on whether i need to get back for orientation.
It's hard to predict these things but May 20 is pretty early IMO for the end of the bulk of the movement

Haha, Ditto!

Yeah, hmmm. I think financial aid is incredibly unpredictable. I got all loans at a few schools, Columbia did give me a need based grant as well as subsidized loans.

P&S has really good need based money, but it's got to be real need (i.e. regardless of how broke one may be, one's parents can't be making tons of cash ;))

Today is not the day either methinks. It is, however; a beautiful day. Just not as beautiful as me.

Today is not the day either methinks. It is, however; a beautiful day. Just not as beautiful as me.
Every time I see you post, I always think it's going to be your acceptance post. Keep us updated!

well i sent in an update letter anyways, talked about how i beat level 30 on candycrush

I had a quick question about the curriculum. I was looking at the 4 year plan, and I noticed that during 3rd year clinical rotations end in late December and step 1 must be taken by the end of February. How do students manage all of that in such a short period? It seems so stressful! You finally finish rotations only to be hit with step 1. Do they just skip new years/Christmas w/ family for a year?

Also, what is BP review classes (it takes place during last few months of MCY before step 1). I assume it is board review courses. Are they Columbia directed/created classes? I guess they help offset the quick turn around b/w MCY and step 1?

I had a quick question about the curriculum. I was looking at the 4 year plan, and I noticed that during 3rd year clinical rotations end in late December and step 1 must be taken by the end of February. How do students manage all of that in such a short period? It seems so stressful! You finally finish rotations only to be hit with step 1. Do they just skip new years/Christmas w/ family for a year?

Also, what is BP review classes (it takes place during last few months of MCY before step 1). I assume it is board review courses. Are they Columbia directed/created classes? I guess they help offset the quick turn around b/w MCY and step 1?

2 full months is more than most schools get afaik so it's not a crazy injustice, nor is it a short time period in a relative sense unfortunately

and if you go back a few pages on here you will see that they have amazing board scores by the way. :love:

and if you go back a few pages on here you will see that they have amazing board scores by the way. :love:

Yeah. I think the theory is that since you did MCY you actually have much more than two months to study for Step 1 because you've applying the science for a year.

Yes! I think it will be easier to figure out the problems on step 1 since I will have real people and cases I can remember for different things. And just more practice applying things in general. :)

I am withdrawing, so I may in state, pay a much lower tuition, and enjoy the beach at UCSD! Thanks for all the great support throughout this process guys. Good luck to you all!

Have a wonderful time there, Narie! It's been fun riding the anxiety train with you these last few months nonetheless. See you on the other side in the Medical forums when I see you! :p

I am withdrawing, so I may in state, pay a much lower tuition, and enjoy the beach at UCSD! Thanks for all the great support throughout this process guys. Good luck to you all!

godspeed, my friend

I called the admissions office, they said they haven't started accepting from the waitlist as of yet

Status
Not open for further replies.