2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder what proportion of the class is made of accepted waitlisters. maybe 1/4 or 1/3?

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students who were choosing between here and Sinai have time to talk? Hit me up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow 1/2! That is quite a lot. And quite encouraging for my buddies on the waitlist! Thanks, mmmcdowe.

I think I'm definitely going to Columbia at this point, so any others of you who are equally enthusiastic... Can't wait to meet you in the fall if I didn't already at second look! I love this school.

Between one third and one half, just to emphasize. Closer to 1/3 I'd imagine, but it varies year to year.

How long does Columbia (or possibly all schools under AAMC rules) give you to make a decision if they choose to accept you off the waitlist? I'd assume that since most of us will know shortly after May 15, we can still only hold one acceptance. How quick does that response have to be?

How long does Columbia (or possibly all schools under AAMC rules) give you to make a decision if they choose to accept you off the waitlist? I'd assume that since most of us will know shortly after May 15, we can still only hold one acceptance. How quick does that response have to be?

About two weeks.

Second highest ever recorded (Penn had a confirmed 242 a few years ago) that was legit (meaning all MD students who took it that year, no exceptions).

wtf...

I'm going crazy from indecision

Do you think it's moreso the students that they choose to go to Columbia or is there something about the curriculum/structure?

Baylor has a confirmed 244 this year, typically the highest year-to-year followed by Columbia, Penn, and others.

Members don't see this ad :)
wtf...

I'm going crazy from indecision

Do you think it's moreso the students that they choose to go to Columbia or is there something about the curriculum/structure?

I'm sure the curriculum helps, but yeah I think most scores have to do with the student body. FWIW people fail to realize that a standard deviation on the step 1 is 22 points or more.

I think this data might be outdated and for 2009. I have heard the 244 number was on the new USNWR, but I could be wrong.

On USNWR, the most recent data for step 1 is from 2012. The baylor average is reported as 241. Columbia is listed as 237. I don't know how reliable these figures are however because I've spotted a lot of mistakes in the statistics listed on USNWR before.

On USNWR, the most recent data for step 1 is from 2012. The baylor average is reported as 241. Columbia is listed as 237. I don't know how reliable these figures are however because I've spotted a lot of mistakes in the statistics listed on USNWR before.

Lol and also, for Columbia, it says only 20 student scores were evaluated, while 163 were evaluated for Baylor. wtf lol

Lol and also, for Columbia, it says only 20 student scores were evaluated, while 163 were evaluated for Baylor. wtf lol

Good catch. I'm glad I didn't pay to get access to incorrect stats. Regardless, Columbia's track record is ridiculously impressive and I hope to be able to continue that tradition ~3yrs from now.

well. this is where im going next year! hi classmates!!
im 100% decided :thumbup:

Got my official FA award letter and sorely dissapointed here. Will withdraw to go to Yale; hope someone else enjoys the spot!

have some offers already been made for those on the waitlist?

how do i accept my spot to become part of the class of 2017? what do i need to do?

After sitting in front of the computer for an hour with my finger poised over the button, I have withdrawn.

Good luck everyone....and God speed. I hope a writer takes my place.

After sitting in front of the computer for an hour with my finger poised over the button, I have withdrawn.

Good luck everyone....and God speed. I hope a writer takes my place.

Congrats medauthor on your awesome cycle!! What have you decided on?

for columbia, do most of the waitlist offers come on may 15th? or are the offers spread over several days mid-may?

I tried calling to speak with Dean Nicholas, but I was told by whoever answered the phone that all communication should be via uploads to the application website.

:/

Well, movement from WL has definitely begun. Good luck to everyone!!

There has been new additions to the FB page and they have stated that they got accepted off of the WL in the last two days.

As in 4 or 5 new additions or... more in the ballpark of 20-30?

Last edited:
I got in off the waitlist around 4 pm yesterday! So movement has definitely started. Good luck!

How much movement has there been recently? Hoping for some good news..

How much movement has there been recently? Hoping for some good news..

Recently off the waitlist yay!! So excited!

Question.... What do I do about financial aid? How do I find out what my aid package is?

Question.... What do I do about financial aid? How do I find out what my aid package is?

They will mail it to you, if it is like past years. You should fill out the need access and fafsa stuff.

Congrats, smallone! Been rootin for ya. Fingers crossed we get to be classmates :)

Withdrew my acceptance, hope the waitlist moves some more for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.