2012-2013 Albert Einstein of Yeshiva Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For current students:

I was looking at the academic calendar for first and second years, and I was wondering, when do einstein students generally take their USMLE step 1 exam? I noticed that second year classes end around the later part of April, and the clerkship year starts at the beginning of June. So, when exactly do most students study for the exam and then take it if there is only a month off?

Members don't see this ad.

For current students:

I was looking at the academic calendar for first and second years, and I was wondering, when do einstein students generally take their USMLE step 1 exam? I noticed that second year classes end around the later part of April, and the clerkship year starts at the beginning of June. So, when exactly do most students study for the exam and then take it if there is only a month off?

Second years have 6 weeks to study for Step 1 this year (in past years it's been a little more due to the calendar). Most are taking it end of May/beginning of June and using the 6th week for vacation. I haven't heard anyone complain about lack of study time (and Einstein usually does well).

In response to the question about getting into a Cali residency from Einstein: From what I know, mostly everyone who wants to go to California goes back to California for residency. Einstein has a good reputation with Cal programs. This is at least what the deans told me when I was trying to decide on whether to come to Einstein last year. Also, I was used to work at UCLA hospital and some of the attendings mentioned that residents who have come from Einstein have all been really well trained.

Members don't see this ad :)
post interview rejection. interviewed 3 days ago lol

Well damn. I interviewed recently as well, and there was some question as to whether we would be hearing back pretty quickly given the lateness of the interview...I guess this answers that?? I hope that the rest of your apps went okay!

Pre-interview no news today. I wonder if they accidentally deleted my files.

So it seems acceptances are not given out right away for interviewers after January correct? They get in of f the HP wait list?

I'm trying to gauge my chances, my interview lasted 70 minutes, was very conversational, she took 2 pages of notes on what I said, i believe I was energetic and articulate and said in the interview that it was my top choice.

BTW I interviewed today!

For people accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, how were your interviews?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

So it seems acceptances are not given out right away for interviewers after January correct? They get in of f the HP wait list?

I'm trying to gauge my chances, my interview lasted 70 minutes, was very conversational, she took 2 pages of notes on what I said, i believe I was energetic and articulate and said in the interview that it was my top choice.

BTW I interviewed today!

For people accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, how were your interviews?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Sounds like the interview went well. Wishing you the best.

My interview lasted about the same, roughly an hour. The interviewer started off by saying that he was only interested in talking about one particular experience on my application (in a friendly way of course). Ironically throughout our conversation, I was able to cover most of my important application/experiences quite extensively. Towards the end, he told me that he would write me a great review for the interview. Definitely a very positive experience overall.

post interview rejection. interviewed 3 days ago lol
I think you were at my interview day...My interview was smooth, she seemed to get along with me, although she didn't take any notes, must have had a good memory.

I think you were at my interview day...My interview was smooth, she seemed to get along with me, although she didn't take any notes, must have had a good memory.

I've only had one interviewer take notes. I feel like most interviewers are just assessing your ability to speak/communicate, your interest in the school, and if you are overall consistent with whats on your written app.

Any chance of an acceptance off regular waitlist?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

What was the result of your guys interviews :]?

Just got invited to the HP waitlist. Interview 2/25. I thought the interview went very, very smoothly. I agree with others that it seems Einstein tiers applicants even before the interview day and truly treats the interview score as a separate consideration from the rest of the app.

On the website to accept the waitlist spot - it asks for the date that you received the waitlist invite. Does anyone know how this impacts your place on the waitlist?

Best of luck to everyone

I just received the decision this morning too. HP waiting list. I guess the interview kinda saved me from rejection, since my MCAT grades were not impressive at all.

I have my interview coming up on Monday (late, I know) and was wondering how the process went down? It seems as though it isn't a blind interview, but can anyone else give me any other details? Thanks

Just got invited to the HP waitlist. Interview 2/25. I thought the interview went very, very smoothly. I agree with others that it seems Einstein tiers applicants even before the interview day and truly treats the interview score as a separate consideration from the rest of the app.

On the website to accept the waitlist spot - it asks for the date that you received the waitlist invite. Does anyone know how this impacts your place on the waitlist?

Best of luck to everyone

interviewed 2/25, still no update :scared: i tried calling admissions but they were very vague, only said that the process takes around 8 weeks, didn't ask for my name or anything.
well, from all of these posts, i've seen a couple of others who interviewed 2/25 and received either HP waitlist notifications or rejections. anyone here interview 2/25 who was ACCEPTED?

I interviewed 2/15 and still haven't heard anything :(

For those of you who have received acceptances, did they offer scholarship info in the same email?

I was wondering if any current students would be willing to describe the schedule of an average pre-clinical week? For example how much lecture per day (what times?), group sessions, etc?

I was wondering if any current students would be willing to describe the schedule of an average pre-clinical week? For example how much lecture per day (what times?), group sessions, etc?

Einstein has a really nice curriculum. You can read a little more in dept in my previous pos, but in general, we take 2 hard science courses and a few light courses at a time. For our first block, we had Histology and Biochem, then Anatomy and Biochem, then CV Physiology and Pathology and now we are taking Renal and Pharmacology. In addition to the 2 science course, we take Epidemiology course and Bioethics course that meets roughly once a month. They are relatively easy. We also have our Intro to Clinical Medicine Course. We have a nice blend of lecture, labs, and small groups. Here is a rough schedule:

Monday:
Morning: Lecture
Late Morning: Lab (Anatomy or Histology)
Lunch
After Lunch: our ICM site (this is where you take patient history)

Tuesday:
Late Morning: Lab
Lunch:
After Lunch: Small Group Case Conference or a lecture in Bioethics or a lecture in Epidemiology

Wednesday:
Lunch
After Lunch: our ICM class. This is where you learn how to take patient history

Thursday:
Lunch:
After Lunch: Small Group Case Conference or a lecture in Bioethics or a lecture in Epidemiology

Friday:
Lunch:
After Lunch: FREE!!!

The schedule can vary of course. We are taking Renal and Pharm right now, so there is no labs. We just get an additional lectures. Lectures are not mandatory, so some people don't even show up for lectures. Small Group case conference and labs are mandatory, so you have to go. If you go to every class, it will typically be from 9am to 3pm. Once again, that varies each day. Sometimes we are done earlier and others, we are done later.

We have exams about every 4-5-6 weeks. We pretty much only take 2 exams at once and they are very straight forward. For the week following up to the exam, we get Friday afternoon off, then saturday and sunday you study. Monday is usually a review day. Tuesday is a study day. Wednesday is an exam day. Thursday is a study day and Friday is a exam. I really like how we really only need to focus on 2 exams at once. Makes the study load a lot easier.

Hope this helps and answer your question.

Einstein has a really nice curriculum. You can read a little more in dept in my previous pos, but in general, we take 2 hard science courses and a few light courses at a time. For our first block, we had Histology and Biochem, then Anatomy and Biochem, then CV Physiology and Pathology and now we are taking Renal and Pharmacology. In addition to the 2 science course, we take Epidemiology course and Bioethics course that meets roughly once a month. They are relatively easy. We also have our Intro to Clinical Medicine Course. We have a nice blend of lecture, labs, and small groups. Here is a rough schedule:

Monday:
Lunch
After Lunch: our ICM site (this is where you take patient history)

Tuesday:
Lunch:

Wednesday:
Lunch
After Lunch: our ICM class. This is where you learn how to take patient history

Thursday:
Lunch:

Friday:
Lunch:
After Lunch: FREE!!!

The schedule can vary of course. We are taking Renal and Pharm right now, so there is no labs. We just get an additional lectures. Lectures are not mandatory, so some people don't even show up for lectures. Small Group case conference and labs are mandatory, so you have to go. If you go to every class, it will typically be from 9am to 3pm. Once again, that varies each day. Sometimes we are done earlier and others, we are done later.

We have exams about every 4-5-6 weeks. We pretty much only take 2 exams at once and they are very straight forward. For the week following up to the exam, we get Friday afternoon off, then saturday and sunday you study. Monday is usually a review day. Tuesday is a study day. Wednesday is an exam day. Thursday is a study day and Friday is a exam. I really like how we really only need to focus on 2 exams at once. Makes the study load a lot easier.

Hope this helps and answer your question.
Thanks SO much for this awesome breakdown!! You definitely answered all the questions I had :)

Got a letter today for the Scholar Award thing for $20k/year. I was already making plans to leaving the city for medical school, but this changes things..

Anyways, incredibly grateful/shocked/numb.. it's all still settling in.

Got a letter today for the Scholar Award thing for $20k/year. I was already making plans to leaving the city for medical school, but this changes things..

Awesome!

Thanks! Just to clarify.. I loved Einstein during my interview. The thing is that I've been in NYC for the past few years, and already I've been kind of eager to get away from the city and experience somewhere new.

Has anyone sent in their 2012 tax forms yet to the Einstein fin aid office? I know the checklist says 2011 tax forms by march.. but on the financial aid website (which I don't think was updated to reflect the class of 2017), it implies that they also need the 2012 tax forms by the end of the month?

Has anyone sent in their 2012 tax forms yet to the Einstein fin aid office? I know the checklist says 2011 tax forms by march.. but on the financial aid website (which I don't think was updated to reflect the class of 2017), it implies that they also need the 2012 tax forms by the end of the month?

You need to send in 2012, not 2011

Has anyone else received a letter for a Service and Research Scholarship?

I haven't heard anything yet about the scholarship award and I sent mine in right after my acceptance in January :(

I got one on Saturday too, however it was probably sent out on the 18th so if you live further away from the city then it may take a while to get to you.

Did anyone receive financial aid information? Loans grants etc. Not the service and research scholarship.

Did anyone receive financial aid information? Loans grants etc. Not the service and research scholarship.

Called today and they said packages were sent out last week and we should be expecting them in the mail this week!

Is it just me.. or does Einstein seem to match a lot of kids into California residency programs (for being an east coast medical school)?

About how long did most people wait after the interview for a response? Just interviewed yesterday so I assume the turnaround won't be too bad.

Do any current students know what "Einstein Loan Fund" is?

Received my financial aid package today.. $4200 einstein scholarship, $8500 einstein loan, and $42.7K direct unsubsidized. Preparing for a lifetime of debt.
Does anyone know the true cost of housing? The package indicates that room + board costs $9000 + $6000, which seems a bit high.

Last edited:
Received my financial aid package today.. $4200 einstein scholarship, $8500 einstein loan, and $42.7K direct unsubsidized. Preparing for a lifetime of debt.
Does anyone know the true cost of housing? The package indicates that room + board costs $9000 + $6000, which seems a bit high.

On the tour they gave the students said they pay about $450-500 a month (includes utilities besides cable).

On the tour they gave the students said they pay about $450-500 a month (includes utilities besides cable).

Yep - most students pay around 400-500$ (depends on if sharing apartment with 1 or 2 other ppl)

If in studio (married couples and some 3rd/4th years) the rent is around 685$.

For those who received a service and research scholarship, was the scholarship listed in their financial aid/award packet? Also does anyone know if all of the scholarships were given already? The application had said that they weren't going out until May 1st. Perhaps its going out on a rolling basis or in batches after they see who accepted the awards in the last batch

For those who received a service and research scholarship, was the scholarship listed in their financial aid/award packet? Also does anyone know if all of the scholarships were given already? The application had said that they weren't going out until May 1st. Perhaps its going out on a rolling basis or in batches after they see who accepted the awards in the last batch
All of my scholarships were listed in the financial aid award

Status
Not open for further replies.