2012-2013 Albert Einstein of Yeshiva Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, this is a quick question for current einstein students

How much of your curriculum is pbl or small group vs traditional lecture ?

secondly typically how long is your day i.e when do lectures normally start and end?

To all current Einstein students:

Can someone please talk a bit about textbooks? Do students need textbooks for classes (ie need to buy hardcopies?) Are there pdf versions (or any other digital version) of textbooks available? Or do students just use slides from lectures to study?

Also, if textbooks ARE required, can someone please post a list of the titles, authors, editions, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Can someone please talk a bit about textbooks? Do students need textbooks for classes (ie need to buy hardcopies?) Are there pdf versions (or any other digital version) of textbooks available? Or do students just use slides from lectures to study?

Also, if textbooks ARE required, can someone please post a list of the titles, authors, editions, etc?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about this yet.
For a lot of the classes, the profs list one or more books. However for many of the classes, you rlly don't need the book at all and can rely on the lectures abd slides and syllabi for all the info.
However for other classes the texts are needed and I would recommend u get. (FYI it also depends on the person - some classes the books aren't 'needed' but some ppl prefer to read it for a better overview etc, so there's def some personal preference for some classes)

As for hard copy vs PDF
There's ton of books as PDF floating around, so don't rush to buy all the books. Also, a TON of books get passed down (sold for rlly cheap) from 2nd and 3rd years so don't rush to buy anything yet, wait until each course...

For now, I'd say sit tight and when u get here worry about it then..

(FYI I was like u - I was also asking abt books and all this before I started - but I realized you rlly don't need to worry about it till u get here, you'll find out all about it then.. No need to pre buy books now)

secondly typically how long is your day i.e when do lectures normally start and end?

I'd say approximately 20-30% pbl, 70-80% lecture. Really depends on the course.

1st and 2nd year usually is from 9am-4ish.

Doc einstein (and any other AECOM students), could you share your opinion on using an ipad/tablet during the first two years, for note taking and studying? It seems like AECOM has the best video/slide synching system out there for lectures, which is great for review, but I'm also wondering if it's worth the investment to get one of these devices that lets you annotate powerpoints, pdfs, store study materials, etc. And if you have any recommendations on which kind of device and which apps (assuming you use them) work best, that would be appreciated too. Thanks

I bought a tablet, but I barely used it. I bought a tablet at the beginning of the year because I realized that a lot of our books are in PDF, so I figure it is easier and cheaper to buy a tablet and then read books out of that. I ended up not using the tablet because I realized that I didn't read a single book in Med School. With that being said, that is just me. I do see some students have tablet open next to their computer so that they can be seeing two pdfs at once. There are some pros of that (for example, the tablet/ipad can be on the syllabus while the computer is on slides). There are some students who use the anatomy apps on ipad and found that to be helpful. So, in general, if you don't have an ipad/tablet, I wouldn't recommend you buying it. If you do, it won't hurt to bring it as well. As far as looking at slides, listening to lecture, and taking notes, you would definitely need a laptop for that.

Any AECOM students wanna shed some light on whether the large class size at AECOM (183, if i'm not mistaken) has affected their experience? Do you like it? Do you prefer the class was smaller? Is the class broken up into smaller groups like other schools with large classes? Does it help or hurt your learning? Thanks!

183 does tend to be on the larger class size of medical school, but 183 is really not a lot of people. 13 of then are MTSP, so it is really 170. Having 170 students doesn't really affect us, I feel like. We have enough small groups so that we can have an more intimate group in learning settings.

Each group of courses are different. For example, when we are taking histology and anatomy, we have mandatory labs. By March, when these courses are over, we replace more lectures for labs.

Classes typically start at 8:30, 9am , or even 9:30 am. You get 1 hour lunch at around noon. In the afternoon, if it is just lecture, we get done at around 2pm. If we have small groups, it is around 4pm. If you have the clinical course, it is at 5pm. I have to look at the calendar each day to plan my day because each day is different. With that being said, since lectures aren't mandatory, I don't even go to class, so my day starts whenever I want to/ wake up.

Thanks!

The one and only textbook you need is an Anatomy Atlas. Anatomy doesn't start until late October, so don't worry about it until Oct. All the atlas are available in the library to borrow and use, so there are some students who haven't bought a single book in med school.

With that said, I highly recommend Thieme's Atlas (By Dr. Gilroy). I think Netter's Atlas is overrated. Go to the library and see which Anatomy book you like best and then buy that one. Don't just go with the popular one.

Any more questions??? I am currently enjoying my summer break! :D

Gosh doc Einstein you are the best ! I have more questions.
Do the apartments take single or twin beds ?
How often do you have tests,quizzes or exams ?
Do most students get the health insurance or get something else ? It is pretty steep in price.

Thanks once again

Last edited:
Hey Doc Einstein, do you know when the school sends out room assignments?

Do most students get the health insurance or get something else ? It is pretty steep in price.

Thanks once again

Apartments take any size bed... I had a queen my first year but it could have even fit a King with no problem.

Exams are usually once a month. Quizzes are almost non-existent (at least when I was a first year) I think I only had histo... i think now there is anatomy quizzes too? But basically they are few and far inbetween, i wouldn't even say biweekly.

Most students get something else if they are price savy...

Thanks once again

The rooms are pretty large, I know a couple people who even have queens! So it depends on how big of a bed you want :)

The exam schedule is all set beforehand. It tends to vary a little, but it'll end up being around every 4-5 weeks. (It depends on the courses you're taking at the time..) only histology and anatomy have quizzes (in addition to exams) and the quizzes are good to give some easy extra points. The exams are spaced out fairly well, I think the school does a decent job of that

I can't speak for everyone but I think a large portion of people who need health insurance get it from the school. A lot of people who are under 26 remain on their parents health insurances

Can some of Einstein's current students comment on this thread?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593648

It's been a few years since then, but it's still a little troubling. That policy sounds ridiculous, but I think I remember hearing about it from someone else as well. The school should be trying to get their students into the best residencies possible, if only for their own image, such a policy works against both the school and the students? Hopefully they've addressed this? I was specifically referring to the "ugly" portion.

Thanks once again

1) I have a full size bed in my apartment. I can still fit a large ikea desk and a sofa and a large dresser.
2) For those that are over 26, I think most get the Einstein insurance. For those that are younger, most keep their parents' insurance because it just makes more sense. Unless you are a person that gets sick a lot, we are usually pretty healthy people that don't really need to see the doctor. There isn't anything that you do in the first or second year that will cause you to go to the doctor's office more often. Einstein's insurance is pretty pricey. I am thinking about maybe getting Einstein insurance when I am a third or fourth year when I am more prone to getting sick or something. But for the first two years, I would say that you should stick to your parent's health insurance, just to save money.
3) The only quizzes that we have are in Histo and Anatomy, and for those classes, you WANT quizzes because they reflect how exam questions are. For exams, you take two exams in a week. (look back at what I said before about exams at Einstein. The monday is review day, tuesday is day off, wednesday is test, thursday is day off, and friday is test). We have exams once every 4-5 weeks, varying by each block. During histo, the quizzes are typically between the exams, so roughly 2 week?. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PASSING EINSTEIN. YOU WILL ALLLLLLL PASS. :D

Hey Doc Einstein, do you know when the school sends out room assignments?

There really isn't a rush to know this. But I believe I got it at the end of June last year. I did the Biochem course so I had to move in early, so I found out who my roommates were early.

It's been a few years since then, but it's still a little troubling. That policy sounds ridiculous, but I think I remember hearing about it from someone else as well. The school should be trying to get their students into the best residencies possible, if only for their own image, such a policy works against both the school and the students? Hopefully they've addressed this? I was specifically referring to the "ugly" portion.

Let's see.

1) For the Good: I would agree with the poster in that the students that you find at Einstein are freaking awesome. It is hard to describe it, but everyone that I have talked to, are amazed at the students at Einstein. There is so much collaboration, sharing, having fun, etc. that you see in students at Einstein that you don't see elsewhere.

2) The Bad: Living in the Bronx cost me $412. Living in the city would cost me an excess of $1000. I would rather pay the $2.5 per subway ride and live in the Bronx than to live in the city. I would agree that the commute is a hassle, but I am saving money living in the Bronx. Also, you would mainly go to the city to hang out with friends or go out on a friday/saturday night. You will most likely be in a group, so the long train ride is not as bad.

3) Since I just finished first year, I don't really know how the scenario is for 3/4th years. What I can say is that for the taxi part, Einstein is now with Vitals. They have a pretty good taxi service. They bring you anywhere you need to go that is clinical and it is fully paid for my the school. You don't tip or give anything. The school covers it for you. If you need a ride, you call a number and they will usually come in 15 minutes. Also, if you look at Einstein's match list, a large group of students go into Ortho and Radiology, so I don't think whatever the poster was saying would influence our competitiveness for competitive specialty. Once again, this is just my view, and since I haven't gone through 3rd or 4th year, I cannot be sure. Also, I would like to emphasize that the administration is very receptive to students. If you ask BloodyHell, he would send anonymous dropbox comments to the dean to fix something, and something will usually be done right away. Although we are affiliated with Yeshiva, we are pretty much our own school since Yeshiva is in Manhattan. The administration at Einstein is pretty much focus on the medical students and provide services mainly towards us. This is a pro of attending a non-undergrad campus like Einstein. The sole focus of the school is the medical student. I think we that, we get a lot of attention and say in how we shape the school. If something is not going smoothly, Einstein will get feedback from students to fix it (that is one thing that I am sure they are done because so much things have been fix this year already and will continue to do so every year).

Members don't see this ad :)

I'll answer the ugly part since I'm a 4th year. To a point this policy isn't what it seems - and as a fourth year you are fine with interviews.

A more detailed answer: in 4th year you have 4 months required and 7 months to do whatever you want with plus 1 interview month in dec. If you have a required Sub-i (2 months of the 4 required months) during the interview months (and mostly you chose to schedule it that way) you are allowed to miss 5 days/month without having to repeat part of the Sub-I. If you miss greater then 5 days you may have to repeat part of the Sub-I that you missed. Missing 5 days is very doable if you apply to something like derm where you might have to go on 30+ interviews (including TY/prelims). If that is the case then don't schedule your Sub-I during interview months... otherwise just bite the bullet and repeat part of it. and to put it in perspective, allowing you to miss basically 25% of your sub-I for interviews without any make up is generous. The other two required courses Neuro and Amb medicine are much more easy to fit your schedule around.

Einstein is a great choice, esp now that I'm looking toward residencies. Last year people in the specialty that I'm applying into (semi-competitive) matched at amazing programs (east and west coast) with average board scores and third year grades. If you are a rockstar here you will go even farther.

I'll answer the ugly part since I'm a 4th year. To a point this policy isn't what it seems - and as a fourth year you are fine with interviews.

A more detailed answer: in 4th year you have 4 months required and 7 months to do whatever you want with plus 1 interview month in dec. If you have a required Sub-i (2 months of the 4 required months) during the interview months (and mostly you chose to schedule it that way) you are allowed to miss 5 days/month without having to repeat part of the Sub-I. If you miss greater then 5 days you may have to repeat part of the Sub-I that you missed. Missing 5 days is very doable if you apply to something like derm where you might have to go on 30+ interviews (including TY/prelims). If that is the case then don't schedule your Sub-I during interview months... otherwise just bite the bullet and repeat part of it. and to put it in perspective, allowing you to miss basically 25% of your sub-I for interviews without any make up is generous. The other two required courses Neuro and Amb medicine are much more easy to fit your schedule around.

Einstein is a great choice, esp now that I'm looking toward residencies. Last year people in the specialty that I'm applying into (semi-competitive) matched at amazing programs (east and west coast) with average board scores and third year grades. If you are a rockstar here you will go even farther.

Thanks a lot both of you!

Thanks a lot bloodyhell, zebalong and doc Einstein.

As most of you know - Beth Israel Medical Center (part of Continuum Healthcare) is a clinical affiliate of Albert Einstein, and serves as Einstein's Manhattan campus. Continuum is currently in the process of merging with Mount Sinai, which means that Beth Israel will soon be a Sinai hospital. Can any current students at Einstein shed light on how the Continuum-Sinai merger is going to affect the Beth Israel-Einstein affiliation? I know that if the merger goes through, the faculty at Beth Israel will no longer be affiliates of Einstein, but will actually be Sinai faculty. Does this mean Einstein students lose the opportunity to rotate through Beth Israel in the near future?

I'm aware that this may be a sensitive issue, but I just cant seem to find any information on this whatsoever on the internet. I've asked staff who work for Beth Israel and all they can tell me is that the merger is essentially assured and is in the midst of taking place.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

As most of you know - Beth Israel Medical Center (part of Continuum Healthcare) is a clinical affiliate of Albert Einstein, and serves as Einstein's Manhattan campus. Continuum is currently in the process of merging with Mount Sinai, which means that Beth Israel will soon be a Sinai hospital. Can any current students at Einstein shed light on how the Continuum-Sinai merger is going to affect the Beth Israel-Einstein affiliation? I know that if the merger goes through, the faculty at Beth Israel will no longer be affiliates of Einstein, but will actually be Sinai faculty. Does this mean Einstein students lose the opportunity to rotate through Beth Israel in the near future?

I'm aware that this may be a sensitive issue, but I just cant seem to find any information on this whatsoever on the internet. I've asked staff who work for Beth Israel and all they can tell me is that the merger is essentially assured and is in the midst of taking place.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

This is an interesting topic and sadly i don't have much insight into the issue, nor does any other student.

Here is what I do know:

Currently we still are rotating through BI and there are no plans to stop our rotations there, perhaps in a few years - but no one has ironed anything out. some of the kids in the omfs program http://www.bethisraelgme.org/OralAndMaxillofacialSurgery.asp say the program is staying affiliated with Einstein and not transferring over to Mt. Sinai, so it seems Einstein will have a presence at BI for quite awhile, even after the buy out.

Even without BI and possibly LIJ (Hofstra), Einstein has more then enough hospital sites (Maimo - Brooklyn, Monte, Jacobi, Weiler, NCB, Wakefield (new), Brnx leb and St. barnabas). We do not even get close to filling the hospitals at capacity during our clinical years.

Currently we are also rotating through LIJ and from faculty there - there are no plans to separate their affiliation with Einstein, but I can see in a future it being tricky once Hofstra is completely up and running with their normal class size in the hospitals. So I'm a bit confused on how they plan to make it work..

Our strongest clinical sites in terms of strong teaching/heavy clinical training -I think most people would agree- are Monte (main campus), Jacobi, and Weiler - other sites have their own strengths, but those three tend to be the heavy hitters at Einstein - and all of them are an integral part of Einstein and will never separate from Einstein in the foreseeable future.

Interestingly Maimo signed an agreement that will make it a university hospital... http://www.einstein.yu.edu/news/rel...-advance-education-research-and-patient-care/

Thank you so much zebalong for the information! That was quite helpful - especially the part about the continuance of at least some rotations at BI, LIJ and the news regarding Maimonides.

I agree that Einstein's capacity for clinical rotations was quite staggering from the start and it's no surprise to me that its training programs will not be affected moving forward. I have heard from countless many about how Montefiore is an especially fantastic hospital, as are Jacobi and Weiler.

The changes at Beth Israel are just shocking to me and I just couldn't picture what things might be like in the future with these upcoming changes. Thanks for sharing...now if I can just get off the waitlist at Einstein!!! Argh....

I noticed that Einstein's academic calendar page has certain holidays marked off in September (Rosh Hashanah, Succoth, Shemini Atzeret, Simchat Torah)...are classes not held on these days?

I noticed that Einstein's academic calendar page has certain holidays marked off in September (Rosh Hashanah, Succoth, Shemini Atzeret, Simchat Torah)...are classes not held on these days?

Correct.

Has Einstein started giving out student Id's or room assignments yet ?

Has Einstein started giving out student Id's or room assignments yet ?

I don't know about room assignments, but you will get your ID when you move in or at orientation. (You'll go to security office and get one)

WELCOME TO EINSTEIN! Jewish holidays are one of the secrets to Einstein students' happiness!

The first two month of class will pretty much be part time, meeting people and 4 day weekends!

ENJOY!

To all current students:

What textbook is used for the first class (molecular and cellular foundations of medicine?) If possible, please give the title, author, and edition! Thanks!

To all current students:

What textbook is used for the first class (molecular and cellular foundations of medicine?) If possible, please give the title, author, and edition! Thanks!

MCFM is a multi-month long course with 6 different sections/topics. (eg genetics, immunology, cancer, etc)

Different textbooks for each section, although for many of the sections you don't need the actual textbook. I don't have the list with me now but PM me an ill do my best to get it to you.

I recommend not buying anything yet though. Often you don't rlly need the book, and also many of the books we have as PDFs

To all current students:

MCFM is a multi-month long course with 6 different sections/topics. (eg genetics, immunology, cancer, etc)

Different textbooks for each section, although for many of the sections you don't need the actual textbook. I don't have the list with me now but PM me an ill do my best to get it to you.

I recommend not buying anything yet though. Often you don't rlly need the book, and also many of the books we have as PDFs

Yeah...I agree with Bloodyhell. I don't think I read a single page of a book for MCFM. It is too dense and you just don't have time to read. The only book I really think you need for first year is an anatomy atlas (GILROY ATLAS IS THE BEST!)

Is anybody still waiting on their financial aid award ? I don't want to get annoying by calling the office but I am beginning to get scared. I thought 07/07 was the deadline to accept any award you may have been given.

Is anybody still waiting on their financial aid award ? I don't want to get annoying by calling the office but I am beginning to get scared. I thought 07/07 was the deadline to accept any award you may have been given.
Same for me, except they keep asking me to email things I emailed over month ago...

Are you talking about the scholarship and research awards for free loan money or the straight up FAFSA loans?

can any current student find out what the deal is with rotating at Beth Israel with the new merger with Sinai that they are doing? I'm an incoming student at Einstein and would really love to rotate at Beth Israel (not that montefiore isnt good or Jacobi isn't good (they might even be better)) but i'd like to stay in Manhattan for a few months during med school at Einstein which would be awesome!

Has anyone accepted off the waitlist received a service & research scholarship yet?

Has anyone accepted off the waitlist received a service & research scholarship yet?

Some kid from my church got in off the waitlist and they got the service and research scholarship. $30,000 I think.

Last edited:
Do you know how he found out? Through snail mail or e-mail?

he said phone call then snail mail.

On another note, is anyone still waiting to hear back from financial aid ? I didn't know it took this long. Should I start worrying or am I still ok ?

he said phone call then snail mail.

On another note, is anyone still waiting to hear back from financial aid ? I didn't know it took this long. Should I start worrying or am I still ok ?
give them a call. (I assume you're talking about regular aid--loans, etc?) They told me over the phone what my award was, but even if it's ready you might want to ask them how you can get started applying for loans etc, as it took another two or three weeks for the actual letter to reach me.

Have any wait-list people been notified lately??? Getting a bit late...

Just rejected from the wait list. Interviewed Feb. 1, wait listed about two weeks later.

It ain't over until school starts. Keep hoping keep dreaming. Einstein may be called home for u in just under a month

I interviewed in Feb and have been on the HPWL since April or so. I sent them a letter of intent after that.
This is my number one choice and I am not losing hope till it's like August 10th or I get an official rejection lol

I like that Einstein has student dorm housing, so if they take me in late it shouldn't be too much of a scramble as far as housing goes.

ya i heard from there and i am now in housing. school starts soon. this thurday

Status
Not open for further replies.