2012-2013 Albert Einstein of Yeshiva Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone on the HPWL heard anything since its past the 15th?
The school was closed Wednesday and Thursday in observance of a Jewish holiday. Friday is a relatively short day because the school closes early for the Sabbath, so that may be why there hasn't been wait list movement.

Members don't see this ad.

A small question for current Einstein students if you don't mind: What is the format of your exams (multiple choice or short answers) and how straight forward are the exam questions?

A small question for current Einstein students if you don't mind: What is the format of your exams (multiple choice or short answers) and how straight forward are the exam questions?

MS1 here - almost all of our exams (with a few exceptions such as the anatomy practical) are multiple choice.

For the most part, I find the exams to pretty fair overall. - I think that can be best shown by the fact that the class average almost always tends to be around the same point every exam, showing that the tests are weighed fairly and the questions are usually pretty fair.

No denying - some exams will have the occasional questions that are sometimes unclear/super tough.. But overall, I think the questions are fair/written well/cover the material from lecture. If you study well and know the material from lecture, there shouldn't be a problem doing well on the exams.

Oh and also - it's all pass/fail, which is a nice bonus :)

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 here - almost all of our exams (with a few exceptions such as the anatomy practical) are multiple choice.

For the most part, I find the exams to pretty fair overall. - I think that can be best shown by the fact that the class average almost always tends to be around the same point every exam, showing that the tests are weighed fairly and the questions are usually pretty fair.

No denying - some exams will have the occasional questions that are sometimes unclear/super tough.. But overall, I think the questions are fair/written well/cover the material from lecture. If you study well and know the material from lecture, there shouldn't be a problem doing well on the exams.

Oh and also - it's all pass/fail, which is a nice bonus :)

It gets even easier 2nd year as you find your own study routine - if people struggle, its adapting to first year, but after you get used to it the rest of the exams are easy if you put the effort in. Like mentioned above, class averages are usually in the 80's.. passing is 65 - so there is a lot of buffer room.

Anybody still waiting to hear back for an initial decision from April interviews? I know there have been a bunch of WL and rejections, but no HPWL and acceptances. Thanks! :)

Anybody still waiting to hear back for an initial decision from April interviews? I know there have been a bunch of WL and rejections, but no HPWL and acceptances. Thanks! :)

I interviewed the 22nd and haven't heard anything... hopefully we can take that as a good sign.

I interviewed April 15th and got put on the HPWL May 13th. For those of you accepted today, do you mind sharing when you were placed on the HPWL?

Hello everyone, first time posting... I'm a non trad applicant with relatively low numbers

I was accepted today off the regular wait list! woohoo!! I was disappointed after initially receiving the email about my wait list status, but Einstein was my top choice and I wanted to do everything in my power to make sure the Adcom knew it. I sent in 3 updates, 3 additional letters of rec, and 3 letters addressed directly to the admissions committee.

I just wanted to let you guys know that it IS possible. If you are on the regular wait list, don't lose hope!! Keep fighting!

I wish you all the best of luck and success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, first time posting... I'm a non trad applicant with relatively low numbers

I was accepted today off the regular wait list! woohoo!! I was disappointed after initially receiving the email about my wait list status, but Einstein was my top choice and I wanted to do everything in my power to make sure the Adcom knew it. I sent in 3 updates, 3 additional letters of rec, and 3 letters addressed directly to the admissions committee.

I just wanted to let you guys know that it IS possible. If you are on the regular wait list, don't lose hope!! Keep fighting!

that's great, congratulations!

Congrats!

All hope is not lost!

Does this mean they finished the HPWL? Anyone on HPWL that hasn't heard back yet?

Last edited:

So I guess there's not a big difference between HPWL and regular WL then? They want to see strong interests. I think I probably missed the best timing to mail out my letter of intent which is going out tomorrow... hope it will make a difference.

So I guess there's not a big difference between HPWL and regular WL then? They want to see strong interests. I think I probably missed the best timing to mail out my letter of intent which is going out tomorrow... hope it will make a difference.

chrisnyc, I emailed an update letter last week and got a nice reply. I really do think that they value a students interests and at this point in the game they want to send out offers that will be accepted. I do not think that it is too late at all. I believe the waitlists have just started moving so dont give up hope. Good luck!

That's great to hear! Congrats!! I am hoping for similar fortune off the regular WL. Sent them 2 letters of intent/update and 2 additional recommendations. Good luck everyone!

Most exams are multiple choice. Anatomy practical is fill in the blank but it is a group exam, so that is good. There are also some random papers that we have to write for Bioethics, and ICM (but they are really easy in comparison to undergrad paper). I have probably written a max 2 page paper doubled spaced.

For exams: they are VERY FAIR. I don't think I have encounter a single question on an exam that I thought was not fair. If a question on the exam is not clear, our professor is there during the exam to clarify questions. With that being said, FAIR exams doesn't mean easy. It means that everything that was tested was taught. The difficulty of the tests varies by course, but overall, if you study, YOU WILL PASS!

CONGRATS! Welcome to the Einstein family. There is a lot of love to be shared! :D

Just got waitlisted, interviewed 4/29. Didn't see anything regarding high priority.
Any ideas on how many regular waitlisters will eventually be admitted?
I suppose I'm expecting many interest/update letters to come from my end ASAP

Hi, have any of you accepted students sent in your housing deposit check yet? I sent mine in almost two weeks ago and according to my bank account history, it hasn't been cashed yet. Wonder if it was lost in the mail..

Doc einstein (and any other AECOM students), could you share your opinion on using an ipad/tablet during the first two years, for note taking and studying? It seems like AECOM has the best video/slide synching system out there for lectures, which is great for review, but I'm also wondering if it's worth the investment to get one of these devices that lets you annotate powerpoints, pdfs, store study materials, etc. And if you have any recommendations on which kind of device and which apps (assuming you use them) work best, that would be appreciated too. Thanks

Anyone on HPWL that hasn't gotten an decision yet?

Doc einstein (and any other AECOM students), could you share your opinion on using an ipad/tablet during the first two years, for note taking and studying? It seems like AECOM has the best video/slide synching system out there for lectures, which is great for review, but I'm also wondering if it's worth the investment to get one of these devices that lets you annotate powerpoints, pdfs, store study materials, etc. And if you have any recommendations on which kind of device and which apps (assuming you use them) work best, that would be appreciated too. Thanks

I like to use the Palm m125. Available for purchase on ebay.

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Palm-m125-P...1474?pt=PDA_s_Pocket_PC_s&hash=item4173981722

yeah the palm125 is awesome, but my atari should work as well if not better

any current AECOM students care to share?

yeah the palm125 is awesome, but my atari should work as well if not better

any current AECOM students care to share?

a couple people use iPads + keyboard in class, but most people use laptops with OneNote (annotate pdfs) or PowerPoint on Windows and built-in Preview (annotate pdfs) or PowerPoint on Mac. really whatever you are most comfortable with

Any AECOM students wanna shed some light on whether the large class size at AECOM (183, if i'm not mistaken) has affected their experience? Do you like it? Do you prefer the class was smaller? Is the class broken up into smaller groups like other schools with large classes? Does it help or hurt your learning? Thanks!

a couple people use iPads + keyboard in class, but most people use laptops with OneNote (annotate pdfs) or PowerPoint on Windows and built-in Preview (annotate pdfs) or PowerPoint on Mac. really whatever you are most comfortable with
thanks for the info

Question for current Einstein students:

How hard is it to do all 3rd and 4th year rotations in Manhattan at Beth Israel? And does Einstein subsidize rent in Manhattan during that time?

Thanks

Question for current Einstein students:

How hard is it to do all 3rd and 4th year rotations in Manhattan at Beth Israel? And does Einstein subsidize rent in Manhattan during that time?

Thanks

It's a lottery system, though generally people like staying on campus, so Beth Israel and Maimonides (in Brooklyn) are easier to get. Housing in Manhattan and Brooklyn is provided for free during the rotation, though you have to keep paying rent on campus.

Einstein may be losing Beth Israel in the next few years, though. Sinai is reported to be in talks with Continuum (which owns Beth Israel and St. Luke's-Roosevelt).

Did anybody get an email asking them if Einstein still remains their top choice. What does this mean ? Could it mean that an acceptance is almost on the horizon.

(I'm on hpwl )

Did anybody get an email asking them if Einstein still remains their top choice. What does this mean ? Could it mean that an acceptance is almost on the horizon.

(I'm on hpwl )

when did you get that email? I am on hpwl too

(I'm on hpwl )

Most people who get that email and respond yes get accepted

what is einstein's average step 1 score (any year will do, if you don't know this year's)?

HPWL accepted on the 21st. Was a really tough decision but I opted to go elsewhere and informed Einstein today. I hope it was the right decision.
Just thought I would add to everyone's anxiety and let you know there is still hope!

Thank you cwrig! Just curious - did you get any fin aid info before you made your decision?
I'm glad you decided on the school I think you chose. Hope you have a blast and best of luck!

Thank you cwrig! Just curious - did you get any fin aid info before you made your decision?
I'm glad you decided on the school I think you chose. Hope you have a blast and best of luck!

I didn't get my financial aid package before I made my decision. That was a bit unfortunate, as it could have made a significant difference.
Oh well still happy to be here :D

(I'm on hpwl )

Got accepted this morning !! Thanks be to God.

I'm surprised that info about the optional 2-week biochem course still hasn't come out. They're really not giving people too much notice.

Yes. Have any folks received word from the housing office? Still Nada

Anyone been receiving replies to their emails/questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.